Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

ImpAtom posted:

loving seriously. I don't know how you got Wayfoward to do Double Dragon and I hate every single aspect of how it looks.

They keep getting work because "Well WayForward hasn't made a bad game yet so..." even though they haven't made a really good game since 2007.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

They keep getting work because "Well WayForward hasn't made a bad game yet so..." even though they haven't made a really good game since 2007.

Well, at bare minimum, Wayforward's games almost always look good. The one thing they always do right is nice spritework. So why does this look like an atrocity?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

ImpAtom posted:

Well, at bare minimum, Wayforward's games almost always look good. The one thing they always do right is nice spritework. So why does this look like an atrocity?

Extreme recycling of animations and such, did you play their Bloodrayne title or Aliens: Infestation? Literally the blandest looking 2D games.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

Extreme recycling of animations and such, did you play their Bloodrayne title or Aliens: Infestation? Literally the blandest looking 2D games.

Bloodrayne looked really good, and also played quite well. v:shobon:v

I didn't like Aliens much though, but that had to do with it being really lazy.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Bloodrayne looked really good, and also played quite well. v:shobon:v

I didn't like Aliens much though, but that had to do with it being really lazy.

Yeah, Bloodrayne looked great (and played really well, too - not sure where the hate is coming from here). As did Aliens, really - the problem with Aliens was that it was ridiculously short and limited.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
What's the general consensus on Pixeljunk Shooter 2?

I've played it immediately after finishing Shooter. Shooter was a good game with some interesting problem-solving with the various fluids. I thought it lasted around the right amount of time, and I didn't think it was too short.

Shooter 2 feels like a kick in the teeth compared to the first game. :stare: It's as if Q Games went out of their way to get rid of anything enjoyable about the first Shooter. There are areas with this growing green mold. I have to spin the right stick to aim while shooting with R1 to clear a path, which gets uncomfortable after a bit. There's also acid giving you a limited amount of time to clean off before blowing up, survivors stuck on ceilings that I keep shooting accidentally because the previous game only had enemies on the ceilings, and these jellyfish enemies that move quickly around and can blow you up with one touch.

Does this game get any better after the first episode or is it going to be even more tougher?

Also, I want to say that Rochard is an excellent game that should be played by all.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Yechezkel posted:

From what I've seen around here, the general vibe is that the first game was way too easy and felt like an extended tutorial. The second game is the real meat of the experience.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

The Bellator game was given a release date of July 4 (Wednesday, so XBLA) on the last Bellator show, so I would assume July 3 (or maybe 10) for PSN. From previews it looks a fair bit better than Supremacy MMA (same developer, and that's not exactly a high bar), but I really hope they've got a demo lined up.

UnquietDream
Jul 20, 2008

How strange that nobody sees the wonder in one another

Yechezkel posted:

I'm playing through it now and I loathe the way the way the hunger suit works/acts/changes gameplay. Other than that I'm finding it pretty alright, although they do like to screw you over with another bunch of enimies after you've saved the scientists and got the end door open.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Squirtle Squadee posted:

Guerrilla is the only company I've seen that really tries to get their DLC out before their games lose popularity. Both Killzone 2 and 3 had a few months of success and a good number of map packs for their 15 minutes. Sony promoted the poo poo out of KZ3, but in the end, the game loses half its community within the first 3-4 months. I'm sure you can still find plenty of games, though.

I hope that means there will be more multiplayer only versions of games. I wouldn't mind one of Uncharted 3, and maybe a few others.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Does anybody still play RE: Operation Raccoon City? I was excited for it when it was announced, but didn't play it because of bad reviews. I just picked it up at Gamestop's sale and have been enjoying it way more than its bad reputation should dictate. Would anybody wanna play co-op?

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

Armor-Piercing posted:

The Bellator game was given a release date of July 4 (Wednesday, so XBLA) on the last Bellator show, so I would assume July 3 (or maybe 10) for PSN. From previews it looks a fair bit better than Supremacy MMA (same developer, and that's not exactly a high bar), but I really hope they've got a demo lined up.
The Drop post on the blog confirms it coming out this week as well. Thanks for the heads up!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Soul Glo posted:

Does anybody still play RE: Operation Raccoon City? I was excited for it when it was announced, but didn't play it because of bad reviews. I just picked it up at Gamestop's sale and have been enjoying it way more than its bad reputation should dictate. Would anybody wanna play co-op?

Ask in the RE megathread. There were still people playing it in there a week or so ago.

So, in Walking Dead Ep. 2 I am at the part where The cannibal woman is holding the other woman on the stairs. When I walk towards her she just shoots me and the only thing I can do is walk forward. Nothing will highlight on the screen at all. What am I doing wrong here?

Rueish
Feb 27, 2009

Gone

but not forgotten.

NESguerilla posted:

Ask in the RE megathread. There were still people playing it in there a week or so ago.

So, in Walking Dead Ep. 2 I am at the part where The cannibal woman is holding the other woman on the stairs. When I walk towards her she just shoots me and the only thing I can do is walk forward. Nothing will highlight on the screen at all. What am I doing wrong here?

That's odd, you should be walking forward until she points the gun at you. That's when you should immediately stop and then you should be able to start a dialogue with her. Rinse and repeat.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Does anybody know what's going on with that Hell Yeah game from Sega? I think that's what it's called anyways, it's like some ridiculously hyper-violent version of Jazz Jackrabbit and it looks amazing, been wondering why it hasn't been on the PSN store yet since they've been showing trailers for it for quite a while now. Then again, still no Rock of Ages in the EU store :(

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Rueish posted:

That's odd, you should be walking forward until she points the gun at you. That's when you should immediately stop and then you should be able to start a dialogue with her. Rinse and repeat.

I wonder if it's bugged cause I never get a dialog box and she just shoots me every time. Died upwards of 25 times now.

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
A dialog box? You have to click on her to talk.

edit: not for nothing but between this and the walking dead and dragon's dogma thread you seem pretty bad at buying+playing video games

Role Play McMurphy fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jul 2, 2012

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Only 3 new games for July.

July 10, 2012
NCAA 12 (Sports/College Football) $59.99 MSRP

July 24, 2012
Mi Coach by Adidas (PS Move/Fitness) $39.99 MSRP

July 31, 2012
Risen 2: Dark Waters (Action/RPG) $59.99 MSRP

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Watched the Giant Bomb Quicklook of LBP2 again (don't ask) and thought "hey, i should really get that"

Looked at the stores here, they want NZ$50 ($40 US) for it.

I can get a year of Playstation+ for $50. And it has LBP2 with it too.

And they wonder why retail stores are dying.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

BARONS DEF CHARGER posted:

Watched the Giant Bomb Quicklook of LBP2 again (don't ask) and thought "hey, i should really get that"

Looked at the stores here, they want NZ$50 ($40 US) for it.

I can get a year of Playstation+ for $50. And it has LBP2 with it too.

And they wonder why retail stores are dying.
LBP2 is a great game. Just remember that the PSN+ freebie of LBP2 goes away when your PSN+ subscription lapses. With LBP Karting on the horizon now is the time to collect costumes and stickers from LBP2 because I have heard they would transfer into Karting. Don't know about LBP1 but I don't see why they couldn't.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Role Play McMurphy posted:

A dialog box? You have to click on her to talk.

edit: not for nothing but between this and the walking dead and dragon's dogma thread you seem pretty bad at buying+playing video games

Yeah brah it's certainly a talent to be proud of. Sorry we all can't be l337 gamer dudez. Check out the Walking Dead thread or Google because there is a shitload of other people having the same problem.

Anyhow, I decided to try out PS+. If I download a game and have to delete it for space down the road when it's no longer available, will Sony store that info so i can re-download it.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

NESguerilla posted:

Yeah brah it's certainly a talent to be proud of. Sorry we all can't be l337 gamer dudez. Check out the Walking Dead thread or Google because there is a shitload of other people having the same problem.

Anyhow, I decided to try out PS+. If I download a game and have to delete it for space down the road when it's no longer available, will Sony store that info so i can re-download it.

Yes, assuming you are still subscribed

For Walking Dead, click the lady and select the chill option.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Thanks.

Yeah I got the Walking Dead thing a while ago, I was just stating that it was a common problem because Role Play McMurphy decided he needed to be a dick about it.

ExplodingSquidx2
Oct 20, 2010

That's a DAMN fine cup of coffee.
I bought a 90 day subscription for playstation plus and fell in love in inFAMOUS 2 that is for free on there.

If I were to buy the game on disc after the subscription ends will the same files carry over?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ExplodingSquidx2 posted:

I bought a 90 day subscription for playstation plus and fell in love in inFAMOUS 2 that is for free on there.

If I were to buy the game on disc after the subscription ends will the same files carry over?

You'd have to Google it to be sure.

Usually, but there are exceptions.

ExplodingSquidx2
Oct 20, 2010

That's a DAMN fine cup of coffee.

Aphrodite posted:

You'd have to Google it to be sure.

Usually, but there are exceptions.

I tried to google it, but it's hard to phrase it right... I'll keep trying though.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

ExplodingSquidx2 posted:

I wouldn't worry about it. The way Sony has been putting up more and more free games the last few months I reckon you'll be inclined to resub anyway.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Neo Rasa posted:

On the one hand saying that Wayfoward has not made a bad game is ridiculous. If you look at the wiki for them they've made loads of awful games. On the other hand Bloodrayne was fan-loving-tastic.

Yechezkel posted:

PJS2 is like the second half of the game where poo poo starts getting real. It's really hard but I found it really satisfying and cool. All the levels are annoying in their own way but they're also kinda neat. The first area is the worst the. The stomach acid thing was a pain. As for the other areas [spoiler]the second area is the bullet hell area and the last area uses light in neat ways but also has you swarmed with enemies if you can't stay in the light.[spoiler].

I loved PJS2 but it is hard as hell.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Yakuza 4 was so good. I finished the game and now I'm enjoying the substories I missed. I am in no way interested in Dead Souls but can't wait for Yakuza 5. It's gonna be a super long wait, right? :(

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Housh posted:

Yakuza 4 was so good. I finished the game and now I'm enjoying the substories I missed. I am in no way interested in Dead Souls but can't wait for Yakuza 5. It's gonna be a super long wait, right? :(

It probably won't be until mid-to-late 2013 before you see it. Yakuza 5 doesn't drop in Japan until the Holidays and that one is actually a new game rather than just the previous one with minor alterations.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Yeah I read somewhere it uses the Binary Domain engine meaning the game will be more action and less clunky battles. Yakuza 4 was weird as I noticed the game switched engines during different parts. When the game switched to batting for the Twisted pitch challenge it felt like the game dropped in resolution and went to 60fps.

Would be nice to have some consistency throughout the game and I hope to god they make a better map system. By the way, was Binary Domain worth checking out?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Housh posted:

Yeah I read somewhere it uses the Binary Domain engine meaning the game will be more action and less clunky battles. Yakuza 4 was weird as I noticed the game switched engines during different parts. When the game switched to batting for the Twisted pitch challenge it felt like the game dropped in resolution and went to 60fps.

Would be nice to have some consistency throughout the game and I hope to god they make a better map system. By the way, was Binary Domain worth checking out?
So far the Yakuza games have had about five rendering/animation methods: pre-rendered cutscenes, non-pre-rendered but still high polygon and high facial animation cutscenes, low animation cutscenes with little or no facial animation, running around in the city (maybe the same as the previous, I can't tell), and combat. I hope they unify them all for 5.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Scyron posted:

Max payne 3 is already $30 retail, so um, yeah, let that sink in.

Only the PC version and only through Amazon on sale.

Which is a shame, because it's totally worth $30.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Sony has officially bought Gaikai for $380 million. Gaikai are a cloud gaming service similar to OnLive. This opens up some interesting possibilities as to whether their technology could be used for full game trials on the PS+ service (why make people download gigabytes of data when they can try a game out via streaming?) or if we'll be seeing some form of cloud gaming integration with the PlayStation 4. The official press release is quoted below.

Sony posted:

Sony Computer Entertainment (SCE) today announced that it entered into a definitive agreement on June 30, 2012 (Japan Time) to acquire Gaikai Inc., the world’s leading interactive cloud-based gaming company, for approximately USD 380 million. Through the acquisition, SCE will establish a new cloud service, ensuring that it continues to provide users with truly innovative and immersive interactive entertainment experiences.

“By combining Gaikai’s resources including its technological strength and engineering talent with SCE’s extensive game platform knowledge and experience, SCE will provide users with unparalleled cloud entertainment experiences,” said Andrew House, President and Group CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. “SCE will deliver a world-class cloud-streaming service that allows users to instantly enjoy a broad array of content ranging from immersive core games with rich graphics to casual content anytime, anywhere on a variety of internet-connected devices.”

“SCE has built an incredible brand with PlayStation and has earned the respect of countless millions of gamers worldwide,” said David Perry, CEO of Gaikai Inc., “We’re honored to be able to help SCE rapidly harness the power of the interactive cloud and to continue to grow their ecosystem, to empower developers with new capabilities, to dramatically improve the reach of exciting content and to bring breathtaking new experiences to users worldwide.”

Established in 2008 and headquartered in Aliso Viejo, California, Gaikai has developed the highest quality, fastest interactive cloud-streaming platform in the world that enables the streaming of quality games to a wide variety of devices via the internet. With this acquisition, SCE will establish a cloud service and expand its network business by taking full advantage of Gaikai's revolutionary technology and infrastructure including data centers servicing dozens of countries and key partners around the world.

The transaction is subject to certain regulatory approvals and customary closing conditions.

SCE will continue to aggressively expand a new world of entertainment through the introduction of innovative technologies and the delivery of amazing experiences.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Housh posted:

Yeah I read somewhere it uses the Binary Domain engine meaning the game will be more action and less clunky battles.

And more ROLLING STAAAARTS.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I like that companies are embracing digital distribution but streaming games is about one step too far for me. Having played Diablo 3 if the experience is anything like that no thanks.

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Open the pod bay doors, Hal.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it might just be a thing whose time has just not come. OnLive apparently works quite well if you have a good internet connection.

The way I see it though, it may never make much sense for the consumer : computing power is getting cheaper. I can see it making sense for Sony and friends because it puts all the control on their side. Less chance you software gets hacked? No more datamining? Easier to catch cheaters? Yes, please!

Edit: I guess piracy would be harder, too.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yechezkel posted:

I thought PJS2 had some fun new innovations but was hampered by the odd design choice for the boss fights. Mostly in the way that they go on for far too long and over too many parts and if you die at any point you're basically poo poo out of luck and have to start the whole fight over.

I also agree that the Hunger suit is annoying to deal with but I'm pretty sure after the first episode you don't use it again for the rest of the game.

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010

Housh posted:

No, it's borderline terrible. It's like six hours of firing assault rifles at generic bullet-sponge robots in austere (boring) environments and then a totally haphazard relationship meter slapped on top. Except the main character is so unlikable and groanworthy that you'll like every other character less the more you improve your relationship with them. Then there's like two hours of tired cutscenes with the most disposable of Japanese tropes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Housh posted:

If Dead Souls drops to a low enough price [and I'm sure it will before long] I'd say give it a try. Yeah it's a lot different of a game, and personally I loved it, but even if you hate the gameplay it's pretty worth it for the characters/story.

Majima in a zombie apocalypse alone is worth the cost of admission. :v:

e. Oh and the lag. I wish they'd fix the lag. :/

• Locked thread