Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i am unsure if it will have audiences. i think maybe one of them is a town hall but my guess is they will be like the biden bernie one.

I was actually just thinking about the optics of a town hall style “debate”. It’s one thing to be on a stage getting grilled by a cable news reporter but it’s another thing to throw empty platitudes at the next Ken Bone Everyman.

gently caress, I mean, how does Donny think the “My (close relative) recently passed away from COVID-19, what is your plan to get the virus under control?” question is going to go for him??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Trump 'lost' every debate against Hillary; the competent, experienced statesman and campaigner blew the tv host out of the water.

Debates are irrelevant. The guy who opined "You're no Jack Kennedy" lost 40 states to a ticket with Dan Quayle on it.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Aug 10, 2020

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Rabble posted:

gently caress, I mean, how does Donny think the “My (close relative) recently passed away from COVID-19, what is your plan to get the virus under control?” question is going to go for him??
Same way he's passed all the blame off for the covid response so far? "It is under control, we're doing many much testing, it's democrats fault, we gave them so much money, it's china's fault, etc."

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013

Shrecknet posted:

Trump 'lost' every debate against Hillary, the competent, experienced statesman and campaigner blew the tv host out of the water.

Debates are irrelevant. The guy who opined "You're no Jack Kennedy" lost 40 states to a ticket with Dan Quayle on it.
This is all true, but Trump clearly believes he won the 2016 debates in the eyes of the people.

After the election, a lot of people were surprised and looking for reasons why. It makes sense that Trump-- a political amateur but a seasoned performer-- would credit his victory to an ultimately unimportant public spectacle.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Rabble posted:

I was actually just thinking about the optics of a town hall style “debate”. It’s one thing to be on a stage getting grilled by a cable news reporter but it’s another thing to throw empty platitudes at the next Ken Bone Everyman.

gently caress, I mean, how does Donny think the “My (close relative) recently passed away from COVID-19, what is your plan to get the virus under control?” is going to go for him??

he doesnt because he is a sociopath so at best he will make some vague platatudes and sympathies and then he will gurgle about how great he is.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
RIP Kamala Harris

https://twitter.com/wwe/status/1292617000443949061?s=21

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Dapper_Swindler posted:

he doesnt because he is a sociopath so at best he will make some vague platatudes and sympathies and then he will gurgle about how great he is.

I will loving TOXX right now that Trump will not offer any sympathy to a town hall questioner who’s been personally affected by the virus. My gut feeling is that he’ll just straight up go on the offensive immediately.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Rabble posted:

I will loving TOXX right now that Trump will not offer any sympathy to a town hall questioner who’s been personally affected by the virus. My gut feeling is that he’ll just straight up go on the offensive immediately.

That's very unfair to me, you should blame Joe Biden, you know he didn't leave us any tests, very shameful, but now we have all the tests and doctors come to me crying, manly doctors and they say Sir...

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

I well remember Kamala, the Ugandan Giant. He was a consummate professional.

https://twitter.com/the_ironsheik/status/1292616283469602816

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Kamala fuckin ruled :(

I liked when he would slap his belly.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I saw “rip Kamala” trending on twitter and thought this was about Biden’s vp choice. The reality is much worse.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Has there been any word if the Senate is going to just go on Summer Recess or are they going to make another attempt to get a deal done

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so you think he can be overthrown. i assume him and joffery will just run to putin for exile if poo poo gets bad enough.

:shrug:

Probably gonna be pretty horrible for a bit either way.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

feels like a deal is not possible since Republicans can't even agree on a bill

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

smoobles posted:

That's my feeling as well, but this Trump EO poo poo has gone over like a lead balloon so who knows

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

https://twitter.com/maskedwrestlers/status/1124434205641924608

https://youtu.be/RpcZoKhTwCk

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i am unsure if it will have audiences. i think maybe one of them is a town hall but my guess is they will be like the biden bernie one.

Trump will do what he did at Bedminster this weekend and pay a bus full of loyalists who go to his country clubs to show up and be the audience and cheer for him and boo Biden and the moderator, and he'll get away with it because he's the president AND he already pulled a stunt like this in '16 where he sat the whole front row with women who'd accused Bill Clinton of sexual harassment, assault, or impropriety just to gently caress with Hillary. They even got better seats than his own stupid family did.

Crumbskull
Sep 13, 2005

The worker and the soil

Destroying US intelligence agencies would be an unalloyed good.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

smoobles posted:

The economic pain from the lack of a deal has only just begun, we're gonna have to rely on Democrats to hold the line and demand a full solution while lots and lots and lots of people have their lives fall apart. So, we're probably doomed.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Crumbskull posted:

Destroying US intelligence agencies would be an unalloyed good.

Depends if he actually dismantles their unfettered spying abilities or just installs his cronies so they do a lovely job on his behalf.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Republicans posted:

Depends if he actually dismantles their unfettered spying abilities or just installs his cronies so they do a lovely job on his behalf.
And we know what the actual answer is here.

Crumbskull
Sep 13, 2005

The worker and the soil

Republicans posted:

This is another example of where I'm pretty sure Trump appointments would do way less damage because they are shortsighted and have very narrow personal interests vs. e.g. the Bushes and Dulleses of the world. But yeah, ideally destroy would mean destroy.

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-G9PgvMkrE

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Man and people bitch about modern wrestling being boring.

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

Republicans posted:

Man and people bitch about modern wrestling being boring.

Wrestling's always been boring theatre for people who don't like to think, much like politics.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Wilbur Swain posted:

Wrestling's always been boring theatre for people who don't like to think, much like politics.

Wrong, wrestling actually rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8Yad3QDieE

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

Zero wrestling in this video.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Wilbur Swain posted:

Zero wrestling in this video.

Everything with wrestlers is wrestling. It's the whole show!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7Qnr6XnuOw

Anyway RIP Kamala, wrestlers always die too young :(

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Ringo Star Get posted:

Last year the high school in my town actually closed for a few days to deal with a bad flu outbreak. Schools definitely take action for other types of outbreaks, but because the Orange Cheeto politicized this, shutting down for a “Chinese flu” is not in the playbook.

Yeah, this is one of the things that pisses me off more than anything.

Schools close for the flu, like, actually pretty frequently. The flu is no loving joke. I've worked for a school in the past that had an outbreak so bad that we had to close due to staffing shortages and an inability to find substitutes. One of our teachers died, and at one point half the administrative staff was home sick. Hospitals sometimes even shut down regular operations because of flu outbreaks.

The idea that we should mostly shut down schools when there's an uncontrolled national-level outbreak should actually not be terribly controversial. The length of time is much longer in this case, but that's only because there's not going to be any way to safely reopen that won't result in further closures. You can't operate a school when your teachers are all sick and there are no substitutes because every other school in a 100 mile radius also has staffing shortages.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
When I was in college, an entire week of class was cancelled because of a bad norovirus outbreak, midterms were moved, due dates extended, etc

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Glumslinger posted:

When I was in college, an entire week of class was cancelled because of a bad norovirus outbreak, midterms were moved, due dates extended, etc

For what it's worth, norovirus is NOT something to gently caress around with either. I got laid up for half a week puking and making GBS threads myself into oblivion because a family friend decided to bring their noro-infested kids over for an afternoon and got everyone who was there sick. Second worst illness I've ever gone through after H1N1, and that poo poo put me in a literal coma for two weeks.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Destroying intelligence agencies by shuffling the personnel is like trying to kill an archlich by giving him a wedgie. It's not going to work and all you're going to do is re-sort his enemies list.

In this metaphor the lich's phylactery is Google, Facebook, and the rest of the commercial surveillance state.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

anyone else picking up a very subtle troubling racial subtext to these characters?

gazza
Oct 20, 2013

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I can really hear the nervous energy behind every exclamation of "barsuk!" as they are no doubt contemplating the possibility that they will be shot or bayoneted by government troops in the coming hours and days if they don't play it just right.

They sound like media hosts doing a fun side story anywhere. Cool and definitely not weird fanfic to supplement your mind reading ability though

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

anyone else picking up a very subtle troubling racial subtext to these characters?

"subtle" is doing a lot of work here. Racial stereotypes are pretty much how wrestling has operated since, like, the 30's, and it's a holdover from boxing. And it's really gross

gazza
Oct 20, 2013

Djarum posted:

Both are threats now just in different ways. Russia's influence in both the world and as a power is greatly diminished. Unlike in the days of the Soviet Union they do not the resources or the reach they once did to influence world affairs. What they have done is frankly quite smart and in the Russian way, use what advantages they have and use them to their fullest extent. See all the cybercrime and warfare, targeted assassination and leveraging military alliances and hardware to further political goals. The Russians see us as an active threat and enemy so they are combating us.

The Chinese are much different. They have all the time and resources in the world. Their plans are to use their money and resources to gain lasting influence in much of the world. See their actions in Africa and Europe for example or the Bridge and Tunnel project. For their long term goals like Taiwan they continue to creep slowly towards it. Look at their actions in the South China Sea with the artificial islands and rapid building of bases. They slowly move toward their goals because they have nothing but time to complete them. It doesn't matter if it takes another 25 or 50 years to retake Taiwan or 100 to take Japan as they still complete their goals.

Russia looks like a bigger threat at the moment but they are effectively a paper tiger. Strong leadership and a refocus on the world stage on Russia's actions and they will be less of a threat again. China on the other hand is going to have to be dealt with sooner than later. One of the pluses of COVID will be many firms will likely be looking at divesting themselves from China and hopefully their influence will wane some. There will likely be a conflict in the South China Sea in the next 20 years though, it is the world's slowest car crash.

Ah yes the Chinese* have been quietly scheming in the background to evilly achieve evil world domination. Every night Xi Jinping rips off his mask to reveal the face of Fu Manchu, steepling his fingers and cackling as he plans for the eventual invasion of, uh, Japan I guess? That's close to China right? Can't wait until Americans can finally reunite to become the Good Guys again in the great common purpose of seeking a final solution to the Chinese Problem.

*replace with ominous Oriental font

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

shoulda posted this one instead
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NLAMw7biIs

Wilbur Swain fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Aug 10, 2020

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Spaced God posted:

"subtle" is doing a lot of work here. Racial stereotypes are pretty much how wrestling has operated since, like, the 30's, and it's a holdover from boxing. And it's really gross

Even in 2020, there are still cases where sarcasm is recognizable. This was one of them.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I forgot it was a runoff

https://twitter.com/allymutnick/status/1292454679234871298?s=19

Definitely a must watch on Tuesday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

naming a member of the us armed forces "slaughter" and having him desecrate the property of the first muslim person he sees is very accurate to facts on the ground. i regret and retract my earlier suspicions