Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ScentOfAnOtaku posted:

I think the producer dude needs to turn down his mic. Either all the way or a lot, cause he's really loud.

I've enjoyed the show so far, and since it actually gave me some new info on Supes64 instead of just rehashing the same old poo poo, I appreciate what it's trying to do, but I think it still needs to find it's footing.

I will say, Wiger is a joy. No matter what he does, I can't help but like it.

Yea even tho I'm not liking it as much as I hoped I would, Wiger's the sort of guy who is never boring so I'll keep tuning in each week.

Unlike on Doughboys he seems a bit skittish wrt going on tangents and I can't help but think the show would be stronger if he did. Let's get into why he considers Pacman a bird, I want to hear his insane logic. Or heck, even simpler things like how they briefly mentioned anime this week and didn't really get into it despite having a guest talking about how much he loved Initial D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Srice posted:

Really hoping that How Did This Get Played eventually cuts down on the conversations about what makes a "real game" because it has been driving me insane!

I've only listened to one episode, but it did stick in my craw that the non-Wiger host took the indefensible position that a game where you can't die isn't a game. A player can still come upon an insurmountable challenge that doesn't outright kill them, and that's way more of an impedance than having their character momentarily flash off the screen and reappear a short distance back from where they died.

It's a good enough show, but feels like they're trying to keep it to an about an hour with well-defined segments, and I prefer a free-flowing conversation that takes as long as it takes. I'll probably try listening again, hoping they work out some of the issues as they do more.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Stupid question time. For someone who isn't huge into videogame culture and knows nothing about speedrunning, what was so funny about the thing Heather read? It kinda went over my head, although I guess the basic gist was that this guy was overthinking "Vroom"?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Fiendly posted:

I've only listened to one episode, but it did stick in my craw that the non-Wiger host took the indefensible position that a game where you can't die isn't a game. A player can still come upon an insurmountable challenge that doesn't outright kill them, and that's way more of an impedance than having their character momentarily flash off the screen and reappear a short distance back from where they died.

It's a good enough show, but feels like they're trying to keep it to an about an hour with well-defined segments, and I prefer a free-flowing conversation that takes as long as it takes. I'll probably try listening again, hoping they work out some of the issues as they do more.

She brought it up again this week and specifically mentioned Journey not counting as a "real game" again! I felt like I was in some sort of timeloop.

It's a dumb argument that falls apart immediately when you remember that adventure games exist.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Those are entertainment apps, not real games.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Riptor posted:

Miel has been getting worse and worse on that show and she is just awful in this episode. She's just singing the chorus in a dumb voice without actually saying why it's bad

sorry, let me just get this straight, you wanted the uh parody song to be an essay about why the chorus was bad instead of the bit where she was taking the name drops and making them very specif experiences which was goofy and funny

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Engineers Kevin and Yusong's joint-solo project is really enjoyable. I'm not sure if it has legs but that was a great pilot.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Snooze Cruise posted:

sorry, let me just get this straight, you wanted the uh parody song to be an essay about why the chorus was bad instead of the bit where she was taking the name drops and making them very specif experiences which was goofy and funny

no not the punchup, i hadn't even gotten to that part. I mean throughout the episode she just sings "YOU GOT THE MUSIC IN YOU" in a dumb voice and laughs

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

Srice posted:

She brought it up again this week and specifically mentioned Journey not counting as a "real game" again! I felt like I was in some sort of timeloop.

It's a dumb argument that falls apart immediately when you remember that adventure games exist.

You could definitely die in the Journey video game

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

FitFortDanga posted:

Stupid question time. For someone who isn't huge into videogame culture and knows nothing about speedrunning, what was so funny about the thing Heather read? It kinda went over my head, although I guess the basic gist was that this guy was overthinking "Vroom"?

Essentially, yeah. Over time, as routes are optimized and essentially unbeatable records are set, speedrunners tend to create very specific rulesets for games to keep things fresh - something like Super Metroid's Reverse Boss Order category, where players have to complete the game after tackling the 4 major boss fights in the opposite order that the game intends for you to do them in. It's challenging for the player because doing so requires a good amount of skill and knowledge of the game to pull off, but also interesting to the casual viewer (anyone with a passing familiarity with the game knows how much time and gear you need before making it to the fight with Ridley, and an RBO run sends the player there first while they are woefully under-equipped.)

With the HDTGP example, the guy seemingly put a lot of thought into coming up with rules categories for Vroom that would be viewer-friendly above all else, showing off the dialogue and other quirks while minimizing the repetitive stuff. When he put his ideas out there for the "community" to evaluate, though, the only response he got told him in so many words that nobody else cared about this game so he could do whatever the Hell he wanted.

EDIT: Oh it wasn't just facetiously "You're mod now, go nuts," the guy responding actually made the OP the mod of the Speedrun.com Vroom page (And sure enough he implemented both of his proposed categories)

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jul 23, 2019

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Thanks for the explanation! And the link, too.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Riptor posted:

Miel has been getting worse and worse on that show and she is just awful in this episode. She's just singing the chorus in a dumb voice without actually saying why it's bad

She's really, really annoying. I hate that style of humor where people just yell everything and freak out all the time. It's especially jarring when its next to comedy pimp Hayes Davenport.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
The entire episode is amazing, but the Butt Juice segment on today's Teacher's LoungeBARGE is something special.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

JethroMcB posted:

The entire episode is amazing, but the Butt Juice segment on today's Teacher's LoungeBARGE is something special.

It’s just toilet water?

CUT THAT PART

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I listened to the first episode of Spanish Aquí Presents. I liked it, but it is definitely a very high energy podcast. I feel like you need to be in a high-energy state to enjoy it, it's not something to just listen to while relaxing for a bit.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I just really dislike how loud and energetic the ad is for that show. It feels really aggressive after listening to a low-key podcast.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Still working my way through HH, came here to say "The Grease Knows Eggs Show with Jesse Thorn" might be the funniest podcast episode I've ever listened to. I had to pause halfway through because I was in danger of busting up too loud at work.

(now that I think about it, the CBB episode where Victor & Tiny play their podcast is also one of my favorites... disastrous podcasts-within-podcasts is a thing for me, I guess)

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

FitFortDanga posted:

(now that I think about it, the CBB episode where Victor & Tiny play their podcast is also one of my favorites... disastrous podcasts-within-podcasts is a thing for me, I guess)

The buzz kicking back in again almost made me pass out.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
https://youtu.be/K8DWUq1AXmk

Brendon Small is a genius

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

fadam posted:

She's really, really annoying. I hate that style of humor where people just yell everything and freak out all the time. It's especially jarring when its next to comedy pimp Hayes Davenport.

I also got annoyed when she was singing over the song clips they’re supposed to be talking about. I wish she’d dial it down just a couple notches since she obviously has a good sense of humor and her punch up on that ep was pretty funny.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
Only tangentially related to Earwolf but Jess McKenna and Jon Gabrus were the narrators on the latest Drunk History and Jess was just as entertaining a drunk as you might expect (Gabrus is good too but we've already got plenty of drunk Gabrus content)

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Gabrus' segment was the first Drunk History I've watched in a few years and boy did it break the illusion for me. I know it was naive to think so in the first place, but in the past I'd always assumed that the guest brought a historical story they loved to the table then conveyed it to the camera while drunk. But with this episode it felt fully like Gabrus was assigned a piece of history he had no real connection with by the producers, memorized the Wikipedia page, then just repeated it back to the cameras while trashed.

Not to say it wasn't funny, but it just pulled the curtain back a little too much for me and now I'm afraid to rewatch any of the ones I loved in the past.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

feedmyleg posted:

Gabrus' segment was the first Drunk History I've watched in a few years and boy did it break the illusion for me. I know it was naive to think so in the first place, but in the past I'd always assumed that the guest brought a historical story they loved to the table then conveyed it to the camera while drunk. But with this episode it felt fully like Gabrus was assigned a piece of history he had no real connection with by the producers, memorized the Wikipedia page, then just repeated it back to the cameras while trashed.

Not to say it wasn't funny, but it just pulled the curtain back a little too much for me and now I'm afraid to rewatch any of the ones I loved in the past.

I remember seeing it when it was a web series, and I legit thought at first it was actual historians getting drunk and doing this from memory.

I fully know why that isn’t the case, but it always bums me out some that it isn’t that.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

They do the bit to camera sober, then drink, then do it again, then drink more, then do it again etc then the final thing is a composite of that.

The British version differs from this in that they write a bad stand up version of it, then people who are usually funny come across as being rubbish.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Teacher's Lounge is so off the rails at this point that it's just essentially four guys in a room who are constantly cracking up and doing bits with each other with no form or structure to keep it grounded. It was always absurd, but I miss the more coherent early seasons.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Tacier posted:

Teacher's Lounge is so off the rails at this point that it's just essentially four guys in a room who are constantly cracking up and doing bits with each other with no form or structure to keep it grounded. It was always absurd, but I miss the more coherent early seasons.

I'm still getting a bit of joy out of Drew just completely owning how terrible he is at tracking the conversation while trying to come up with a joke, but it is getting close to the line. Like a couple of eps ago when he closed out the last 3-5 minutes explaining this fact was really exhausting, I felt as if I could feel the rest of the guys just glaring at him to stop.

Im interested in seeing where it ends up going. I felt the first several seasons had a good balance between the characters and the bits they stuck with were generally funny premises, but they started losing creativity and chose unfunny character anchors that were a burden to carry all season. This probably pushed them into doing the minisodes where they could be more spontaneous. As a reaction, maybe they went too far in the other direction with no bit sticking around for any really period of time, good or bad.

This post definitely had more thought put into it than the podcast...

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The minis season is quickly becoming one of my favourites.
I miss guests like Ego, but I'm into the shortness and wildness. I especially love the 'failed' episodes they release under titles like "seriously don't listen to this" where they're more experimental with the form. They probably wouldn't have tried a whole 50 minute "backwards" ep.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jul 28, 2019

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
The Teachers Barge closing theme alone is better than most any other comedy podcast these days. Will not stand for the minisode slander

(plus this is just a placeholder for when the full-effort show comes back in the fall, presumably with guests)

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Yeah, Teacher's Lounge minis have been a great placeholder while they prep for the...I dunno, relaunch? The hints they've given make it sound like it's going to be part of the main, free Earwolf offerings. I wouldn't be surprised if this run ends with them resetting the continuity.

In any event, it's fun to just hear the four of them bullshit for half an hour a week, and it's especially fun to hear their experimental recordings.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Yeah, the last two episodes have been Teacher's Barge and the "failed" subway one, and they both cracked me the gently caress up. The minisodes rule.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Tacier posted:

That's always been what the Teacher's Lounge has been. And it's always been hilarious. Sure.....I wouldn't mind them getting some plot line back on track.....but they are clearly in transition. And they are still funny as all hell.

Oh....and I never really liked the side episodes that they did. But I'm on my second listen through.....and The Creature's Lounge is great. The "Piece of poo poo Man" song right at the beginning cracks me the hell up. And then Besser coming in as old rear end Guitar George who doesn't have a birthday....because all you get for a birthday when you're poor is an empty box. Brilliance.

RestingB1tchFace fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jul 30, 2019

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
The funniest moment in all of the Creature's Lounge is when Drew pimps Guitar George into being White.

I also never really dug on the side episodes, but whenever I give them a relisten there's something that always jumps out at me as an all-timer. Listening to new podcasts from iToons in one of the Bleacher's Lounge episodes is one of those bits; just thinking about Jon as Andrew Dice Clay saying "Sippin' on the beeeeers" is enough to make me chuckle.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Holy poo poo that Dobie Gillis joke might have been for me and only me but it was perfection.

Also, thought the Magic Tavern folks weren't gonna bring it but this episode was a corker

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
This week's The Perspective has 'Zouks and it's a blast.

Jason: "Logan Paul, right? He's the shithead who has the YouTube channel, where he went to the Suicide Forest..."
Erin: "A SUICIDE FOREST? What fairy tale is this?"
Lauren: "So in Japan, there's this forest where people go t-"
Erin: "Is it HELPFUL?"

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

Holy poo poo that Dobie Gillis joke might have been for me and only me but it was perfection.

Also, thought the Magic Tavern folks weren't gonna bring it but this episode was a corker

Yeah, I haven't been impressed by their past guest appearances on podcasts, but this episode is amazing.

Really 300, Chef Kevin Episode Ideas 2 (Pro), and Magic Tavern are all big-hitting perfect episodes.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

so, i somehow missed last week's hh with moshe, this must have been a great listen for those of you who want to hear kevin drown

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

cams posted:

so, i somehow missed last week's hh with moshe, this must have been a great listen for those of you who want to hear kevin drown

Sean saying "In many ways Chef Kevin understands the show more than anyone," hit really hard for me.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

JethroMcB posted:

This week's The Perspective has 'Zouks and it's a blast.

Jason: "Logan Paul, right? He's the shithead who has the YouTube channel, where he went to the Suicide Forest..."
Erin: "A SUICIDE FOREST? What fairy tale is this?"
Lauren: "So in Japan, there's this forest where people go t-"
Erin: "Is it HELPFUL?"

Erin came out with a couple of great lines, but that had me rolling.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Franchescanado posted:

Sean saying "In many ways Chef Kevin understands the show more than anyone," hit really hard for me.

I feel like Kev is on the cusp of realizing what can come from paying more attention to the Coco stuff...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Franchescanado posted:

I did not enjoy the Kevin and Yusong podcast because it was these people I've listened to for years get dunked on repeatable try and be main characters in their story. You people are plucky comic relief at best, stay in your lane.