Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Parker Lewis posted:

I’m a little let down because I have been hoping for more “did not see that coming” moments at the end of this show and through 5 episodes I think Rhaegal being taken down is the only scene that’s given me that feeling. Seems like the Jaime/Cersei/Euron endings were a missed opportunity to come up with something more clever. I anticipated more Arya/Faceless Man trickery, unexpected betrayals, or maybe even some bonus warging but we have gotten nothing along those lines so far.

When Qyburn was like "my queen we must leave" I said that's Arya and he's already dead. When it cut to Arya and the hound people I was watching it with said my idea was better. I am very smart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
i liked it. its like all the little slights and wrongs made her into that over the compressed amount of time. But think of all the times jon was slighted or wrong and he shrugged it off. He was the real leader for that and they showed it. Im ok with how this thing is ending so far. Its hard to end a story, its easier to do it in a 90 minute window but for a thing thats been happening for almost a decade? Yeah its gonna be hard.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
My partner caught that the vision of Dany walking past the Iron Throne in winter was referenced with the ash falling all around King's Landing.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Jst0rm posted:

i liked it. its like all the little slights and wrongs made her into that over the compressed amount of time. But think of all the times jon was slighted or wrong and he shrugged it off. He was the real leader for that and they showed it. Im ok with how this thing is ending so far. Its hard to end a story, its easier to do it in a 90 minute window but for a thing thats been happening for almost a decade? Yeah its gonna be hard.

Also since the creator of the show dropped the ball so completely.

I can't emphasize how much people here need to be blaming GRRM more than they are.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

When Qyburn was like "my queen we must leave" I said that's Arya and he's already dead. When it cut to Arya and the hound people I was watching it with said my idea was better. I am very smart.

that would be pretty cool. Then the mountain murdering arya would of been sweet.

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
The burning of Kings landing is something like 25 straight minutes of just unwatchably dismal and cynical television; what a wretched climax to a decade of narrative

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Also thank GOD they didnt have Ayra go back and stab the Mountain and save the day, i was 100% expecting that when we saw the Hound fighting and losing and Ayra running away. She's done enough super hero things. Also Cleganebowl was pretty good tbh, it ended how it was likely always going to. I suggested they were going to have him mercy kill his brother because he was essentially dead already and say something like "my brother died a long time ago" and walk away but i'm so glad that didnt happen.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Just Chamber posted:

We've been through this countless times in this thread. Hints at madness? Sure. A psychopath? Absolutely not. There has never been an instance where you were like ok she'd burn women and children alive because she's angry. She punished her enemies and exacted revenge, but no worst than the Lannisters or any other house in Westeros.

Like when she burnt Vary's. That wasn't psychopath behaviour. That was a queen executing a traitor. Does it make her a tyrant? Yes. Does it mean that character will burn literally hundreds of thousands of women and kids alive because she's upset? No way. The jump has been way too extreme. It's just they needed her to be full crazy or us to accept the ending.

Yeah like Tywin did terrible things to KL when he took it.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

cersei was proven right in her choices and died a heroic figure defending the city from an enemy that would not accept surrender

let that sink in

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
https://twitter.com/chachch_changes/status/1127770528373194752

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

mcbexx posted:

Boy am I happy that I'm dumb enough to just sit back and enjoy this show for what it is. Can't imagine how pissed I would be if I could no longer nitpick and backseat direct this poo poo after next week.

I'd also be interested to hear opinions on what would have made a better Cleganebowl. I mean, if this doesn't get you in the mood

https://i.imgur.com/mRQGr4I.mp4

then probably nothing would have.
Hatewatching is one hell of a drug, one can only assume.

I loved it, tell you though if somehow it would've been them on some open field, then Brienne & Arya jumped in, and Hound lives while Mountain dies, then everyone would still of hated it is my guess

Sherlock suicide into fire was the best ending for that story

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

LeafHouse posted:

Me: Wow, they seem pretty confident they're going to take the city with their decimated and battle weary army even after Euron wiped out their fleet and killed a dragon from a mile away with ease. Cersei has the legendary Golden Company we keep hearing about too. I wonder what their plan is... Oh, she's just going to fly directly at the scorpions and destroy them then wipe out the whole Golden Company in one pass while her army stands there. Huh, okay...

The early seasons were so great with characters triumphing due to clever plots and planning but now this whole loving season has just been *things happen*

I watched a few seasons of Doctor Who and every solution to a problem on that show is the doctor being like "luckily my wimblejibbet can interact with subspace time formations and make the bad guy disappear" and I just have to be like "oh, it can do that huh" and just accept that the solution is never anything you could possibly see coming because it's all just handwaved away. I assume that's like part of the sort of tongue in cheek thing of the show, that it's somewhat satire like people over explaining everything in JoJo

but yeah on here I just kept going oh the one dragon can do that huh and just had that feeling like it was not on purpose at all lol

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

pmchem posted:

cersei was proven right in her choices and died a heroic figure defending the city from an enemy that would not accept surrender

let that sink in

gently caress me that's dark

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Majorian posted:

I can't emphasize how much people here need to be blaming GRRM more than they are.

hell yeah. Dude should of been writing books for the last decade instead of making GBS threads his paints and playing with all the money.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

pmchem posted:

let that sink in

Ahahahaha you actually think this.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

So is Dany just not going to sit on the throne? Because I'm pretty sure she blew it up, along with most of the Red Keep and KL

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Jst0rm posted:

hell yeah. Dude should of been writing books for the last decade instead of making GBS threads his paints and playing with all the money.

He was writing books, just not these ones and they were bad.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Also the Tyrion and Jaime scene was the best in the episode and my eyes got a little wet. I was hoping they hugged and when they did that got me.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

pmchem posted:

let that sink in

This is actually a quality twist!

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Majorian posted:

Given the Bad Thread over in the book barn I think it's just force of habit.

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice
Overall liked this episode. Lots of stupid and really everything feels rushed. But at the same time I'm glad it's almost over.

Danys going full evil didn't bother me, she's been riding the line the whole show. It's just they rushed her turn like everything else this season.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I would have had Cleganebowl be one long and more brutal take but I'm taking it as the biggest win of the series since season 4 because :siren:CLEGANEBOWL:siren:

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

lol

https://twitter.com/gilbertjasono/status/1127769982123819009?s=20

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Lawman 0 posted:

gently caress me that's dark

cersei was kind of correct the whole time. They didnt need her armies to defeat the white walkers.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

TulliusCicero posted:

So is Dany just not going to sit on the throne? Because I'm pretty sure she blew it up, along with most of the Red Keep and KL

A stabbings a comin, probably from Arya or Jon

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

mcbexx posted:

Boy am I happy that I'm dumb enough to just sit back and enjoy this show for what it is. Can't imagine how pissed I would be if I could no longer nitpick and backseat direct this poo poo after next week.

I'd also be interested to hear opinions on what would have made a better Cleganebowl. I mean, if this doesn't get you in the mood

then probably nothing would have.
Hatewatching is one hell of a drug, one can only assume.

Cleganebowl was good, but it doesn't make up for how lovely the rest of the episode was. Also, people can be critical of things they enjoy/are invested in. That's a thing that is possible.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

TulliusCicero posted:

obviously she can just melt all the lanniester swords :pseudo:

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

Cersei baiting Dany into going nuts will be a pyrrhic victory at the least since her allies will all surely turn on her. Cersei wins again.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Why is half of the Northern army not wearing loving helmets? Like, you're about to go in to a massive battle and half of these idiots are like, "What, head protection? gently caress that noise, that's for the WEAK. Oh, my brain seems to be leaking out of a crack in my skull. Ah well."

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Kind of wanted Cersei to have this masterplan of goading Dany to burn the city, smiling that she was right all along and Dany was an invading tyrant and then pull out a trump card of hidden Scorpians that shoot down the dragon to the cheers of the people but ah well.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

LinYutang posted:

Cersei baiting Dany into going nuts will be a pyrrhic victory at the least since her allies will all surely turn on her. Cersei wins again.

I feel like you have maybe the worst possible rubric for what constitutes "winning." Cersei will not be remembered fondly by the survivors of Westeros.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

loving lol

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

pmchem posted:

let that sink in

Cersei surrounded herself with tens/hundreds of thousands of human shields because she wanted Dany to have to burn her way through to her, thinking she wouldn't do it on account of her brother being weak-hearted.

Welp.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

that was pretty boring, but remember y'all, trying to dissuade a tyrant from acting on their worst impulses is a fool's errand

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Just Chamber posted:

We've been through this countless times in this thread. Hints at madness? Sure. A psychopath? Absolutely not. There has never been an instance where you were like ok she'd burn women and children alive because she's angry. She punished her enemies and exacted revenge, but no worst than the Lannisters or any other house in Westeros.

Like when she burnt Vary's. That wasn't psychopath behaviour. That was a queen executing a traitor. Does it make her a tyrant? Yes. Does it mean that character will burn literally hundreds of thousands of women and kids alive because she's upset? No way. The jump has been way too extreme. It's just they needed her to be full crazy or us to accept the ending.

Drogo promised to rape and murder all of Westeros for her in season 1, and she was distraught that he ever got the chance to do that, and burnt the rape survivor alive. The next time she interacts with anyone new, she threatens to burn their city to the ground. Stuff like executing Varys or the Tarlys I’m ok with. Anyone else would have done the same, but if you have a dragon why not use them for executions. Dany has been pretty much full on mad queen for most of the time we have known her, and it took her advisors begging her to not make the worst possible decision at every point to reign her in.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

axelord posted:

Overall liked this episode. Lots of stupid and really everything feels rushed. But at the same time I'm glad it's almost over.

Danys going full evil didn't bother me, she's been riding the line the whole show. It's just they rushed her turn like everything else this season.

they have to rush it. I mean its like 30-40 million for some of these episodes. They cant draw that poo poo out. My only hope is someone does a proper wheel of time or dark tower episodic with all the money.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I would have had Cleganebowl be one long and more brutal take but I'm taking it as the biggest win of the series since season 4 because :siren:CLEGANEBOWL:siren:

I think sadly the directors have shown this season they cannot shoot battles without tons of cuts to add confusion and it's annoying af.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

mcbexx posted:

I agree. I would have preferred a bit more action, but it was still a satisfying conclusion for their conflict.

Also, I love you guys and I both fully understand and respect your criticisms, but I don't think I'd ever invite you to a watching party. These reaction posts have devolved in to dozens of pages of "gently caress this lame show to death" and it's killing me. Go watch Weeds and then maybe I'll listen to your complaints about a show flying off the rails at the end. GRRM been jerking some of you guys off for decades now. There was no realistic way it could have lived up to any kind of hype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

TulliusCicero posted:

She's going to be killed by Arya.