Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

lmao

[edit] rhaegal snype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazreal
Oct 5, 2002

adjusts monocle
you idiots, you loving morons, clearly daenerys went super saiyan over the death of her friends raising her power level exponentially which carried over through her psychic link to her dragon, increasing his dodge rating and dps high enough to tank all those arrows so that he could kill the boats faster than they could kill him

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I love it when people say: “it’s hard to end a story”

It’s not if you’re a good writer

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Also what the gently caress I think Dany in that finale preview has more Dothraki and Unsullied then when she started

It's like Winterfell never loving happened

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Jst0rm posted:

cersei was kind of correct the whole time. They didnt need her armies to defeat the white walkers.

She didn't even really betray them. All they wanted when they went to the negotiation was for her to not attack them while they fought the zombie army, and she didn't.

Granted that's because the Long Night wasn't that long after all but still.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:

Majorian posted:

I feel like you have maybe the worst possible rubric for what constitutes "winning." Cersei will not be remembered fondly by the survivors of Westeros.

Cersei offered royal protection to the good people of King's Landing and died among them as foreign hordes sacked the city.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

I just want to state again they had Jaime's arc lead all the way back to Cersei. An arc that should have ended with him killing her. And they both died to a lame CGI building.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

LinYutang posted:

Cersei offered royal protection to the good people of King's Landing and died among them as foreign hordes sacked the city.

There's literally no one left alive to attest to that. She helped make it inevitable that no one would be left alive.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Ever notice how often Shakespeare plays end with everyone dying in a giant pile?

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Did I miss a curt nod from Cersei, or did the bells start ringing for no reason? Who gave the order?

Jaime rang the bells after he couldn’t get into the Red Keep. Then he went to the boat and took the secret path up the other direction.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Majorian posted:

There's literally no one left alive to attest to that. She helped make it inevitable that no one would be left alive.

I think it is safe to say some of the commoners are still alive.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Got to say I was shocked to come on here and see the severe negativity. I thought that episode was phenomenal, the most incredible spectacle ever in a TV show. It was amazing. And character-wise it was great. I seriously don’t understand why you’ve been watching GOT for 8 seasons if you didn’t like this ep. This was as Game of Thrones as it gets.

Dany’s turn has been clearly signposted from the beginning of the show. All her talk about equality and breaking the wheel has always been 100% bullshit. She might like that stuff in the abstract but it’s always come behind her absolute power and sel-adulation. In Westeros she’s lost so much that she loves and worst of all, the people refuse to love her. This was always coming.

Jamie failing to redeem himself is a sad but fitting end. Him and Cersei dying as their world literally collapses around them was a great end. Cleganebowl was as good as we could have hoped (and I loved Qyburn getting merked), and it was great to see Arya regain her humanity in the face of the incredible horror of war.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Macrame_God posted:

I agree. I would have preferred a bit more action, but it was still a satisfying conclusion for their conflict.

Also, I love you guys and I both fully understand and respect your criticisms, but I don't think I'd ever invite you to a watching party. These reaction posts have devolved in to dozens of pages of "gently caress this lame show to death" and it's killing me. Go watch Weeds and then maybe I'll listen to your complaints about a show flying off the rails at the end. GRRM been jerking some of you guys off for decades now. There was no realistic way it could have lived up to any kind of hype.

I feel like there's a medium middle that was completely over-shot, where you can have big battles but important folks die, and face-heel turns, but they're just ignoring the details that used to matter, and it's gutted a lot of the impact

And what really is making it hard is that somehow budget constraints mean you can't have full seasons, or direwolfs getting petted. It's a cop out.

HBO is too broke to land any series properly apparently.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I think the soldiers all just started screaming it after they realized they had 0 chance of winning.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

TyrantWD posted:

Drogo promised to rape and murder all of Westeros for her in season 1, and she was distraught that he ever got the chance to do that, and burnt the rape survivor alive. The next time she interacts with anyone new, she threatens to burn their city to the ground. Stuff like executing Varys or the Tarlys I’m ok with. Anyone else would have done the same, but if you have a dragon why not use them for executions. Dany has been pretty much full on mad queen for most of the time we have known her, and it took her advisors begging her to not make the worst possible decision at every point to reign her in.

See i think yes he said that and she looked all pleased but I think she's supposed to be like a young naive women/ girl at that point in the show, who believes she can control Drogo and probably thinks by that point she can not have him go on his pillage spree. Because say what you want about her but i genuinely think her character has been portrayed as someone who wouldnt abide by rape of innocents (well up to this last episode), just look how she reacts to slavery etc. But i dont think from that scene you're supposed to think "oh yea Dany is cool with loads of people being raped", it's more she wants that throne and Drogo is her wagon she'll hitch too till she's over there and can reign him in to do her bidding.

And eh there's no denying she's a tyrant and she threatens to burn their city but I think that's her just threatening because she knows she has the power there. At that point in the show i really dont think she'd have pulled a King's Landing because she wouldnt have abided killing innocents like that. Would she have burnt every solider alive though? Quite possibly. But that's war and conquest so it's kind of ok?

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
I can't wait for all the angry op-eds from the marysue, jezebel, vox, etc tomorrow this episode is going to be the gift that keeps on giving.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Raccooon posted:

None that got "sanctuary" in the Red Keep.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Alec Eiffel posted:

If anything, this episode made me like Dany more.

As a character, yes. This is the first thing she's done in a long time that's been interesting for the audience.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

pmchem posted:

cersei was proven right in her choices and died a heroic figure defending the city from an enemy that would not accept surrender

let that sink in

This is correct, and properly done it would've been in keeping with the themes of the books, but they botched it and twisted drat near every character's development into pretzels to contrive tension and stakes.

You hate to see it.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

The Lannister line is just dead now right? Unless Tyrion learns to keep his head down and make for Casterly Rock (:lol: no, he is too stupid)

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 05:19 on May 13, 2019

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
I’m pretty sure that if you have to scale or breach the walls you’re legally allowed to sack the city, so while Dany was unmerciful she was within her right as sovereign.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I'm open to being convinced that Dany's turn works better than I'm giving credit, and it's possible I've just forgotten earlier parts of the show--

To that end, can anyone actually list prior examples of her killing people who didn't somehow earn it? Even situations where she wanted to but was convinced to take a lighter approach?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

SnatchRabbit posted:

I can't wait for all the angry op-eds from the marysue, jezebel, vox, etc tomorrow this episode is going to be the gift that keeps on giving.

Oh my God I didn't think of it on that level.

I was thrilled just to have all the YAS KWEEN dipshits sad.

You've made my evening.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Raccooon posted:

I think you're forgetting that the bells never rang, and to say they did... :commissar:

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

The REAL Goobusters posted:

They had a good writer. He got fat and lazy and stopped writing books quite some time ago.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

TulliusCicero posted:

The Lannister line is just dead now right? Unless Tyrion learns to keep his head down and make for Cssterly Rock (:lol: no, he is too stupid)

Probably some uncles and aunts etc around, there's supposed to be a lot of cousins.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

TulliusCicero posted:

The Lannister line is just dead now right? Unless Tyrion learns to keep his head down and make for Cssterly Rock (:lol: no, he is too stupid)

Myrcella's secretly alive, the remaining Sand Snakes did a Clegane zombifying thing to her.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Just Chamber posted:

See i think yes he said that and she looked all pleased but I think she's supposed to be like a young naive women/ girl at that point in the show, who believes she can control Drogo and probably thinks by that point she can not have him go on his pillage spree. Because say what you want about her but i genuinely think her character has been portrayed as someone who wouldnt abide by rape of innocents (well up to this last episode), just look how she reacts to slavery etc. But i dont think from that scene you're supposed to think "oh yea Dany is cool with loads of people being raped", it's more she wants that throne and Drogo is her wagon she'll hitch too till she's over there and can reign him in to do her bidding.

And eh there's no denying she's a tyrant and she threatens to burn their city but I think that's her just threatening because she knows she has the power there. At that point in the show i really dont think she'd have pulled a King's Landing because she wouldnt have abided killing innocents like that. Would she have burnt every solider alive though? Quite possibly. But that's war and conquest so it's kind of ok?

She literally stops the Dothraki from raping people. Drogo kills a guy over it.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It was a quality episode, folks. I said I was disappointed when the Night King fell in episode three and the only justification would be for the big-bad to be Dany. And Dany just proved she was a big bad. Haters gonna hate.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Comrade Fakename posted:

Got to say I was shocked to come on here and see the severe negativity. I thought that episode was phenomenal, the most incredible spectacle ever in a TV show. It was amazing. And character-wise it was great. I seriously don’t understand why you’ve been watching GOT for 8 seasons if you didn’t like this ep. This was as Game of Thrones as it gets.

Dany’s turn has been clearly signposted from the beginning of the show. All her talk about equality and breaking the wheel has always been 100% bullshit. She might like that stuff in the abstract but it’s always come behind her absolute power and sel-adulation. In Westeros she’s lost so much that she loves and worst of all, the people refuse to love her. This was always coming.

Jamie failing to redeem himself is a sad but fitting end. Him and Cersei dying as their world literally collapses around them was a great end. Cleganebowl was as good as we could have hoped (and I loved Qyburn getting merked), and it was great to see Arya regain her humanity in the face of the incredible horror of war.

Agree on this, except maybe for Jaime if only because it felt so rushed for him to basically fall for Brienne and then go right back to Cersei and inevitable death within the span of one episode. It just felt too rushed- and Jaime's callousness toward Brienne was not in keeping with how much he had apparently grown to respect and care for her.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Slowpoke! posted:

They had a good writer. He got fat and lazy and stopped writing books quite some time ago.

His publishers just wouldn't print his next two books, which were planned to be entirely about Daeny's diarrhea.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

TulliusCicero posted:

So is Dany just not going to sit on the throne? Because I'm pretty sure she blew it up, along with most of the Red Keep and KL

Arya gonna kill dany cause she still has to shut dome green eyes according to the fire lady and prophecies matter on this show...sometimes

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Raccooon posted:

Yes, but you see, when a Targ is born, the gods flip a coin. You see. See how that works. The flip of a coin.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Raccooon posted:

No, Drogo suggests the guy go rape *another* woman, and jokes about how Dany being all butthurt is because the "Stallion Who Will Mount the World" inside her is making her so.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Arya gonna kill dany cause she still has to shut dome green eyes according to the fire lady and prophecies matter on this show...sometimes

She rides off on a pale horse

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Scoss posted:

I'm open to being convinced that Dany's turn works better than I'm giving credit, and it's possible I've just forgotten earlier parts of the show--

To that end, can anyone actually list prior examples of her killing people who didn't somehow earn it? Even situations where she wanted to but was convinced to take a lighter approach?

In Mereen, when Barristan Selmy was killed by a Harpy, she had the heads of all noble families rounded up and shoved a random one to her dragon, who set him on fire and ate him alive. She then said she didn't know who was guilty or innocent, and that maybe she should let her dragons decide.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Loved the episode.

My only problem from a long term storytelling standpoint is that one person riding one dragon was enough to take down all of King's Landing. Daenerys didn't even need any soldiers to do anything. The dragon took out the entire iron fleet, all of the guards along the city walls, the entire Red Keep... Like there is this whole story of Daenerys building up the army, when she could have just stormed the castle with the 3 dragons before they knew about them and built the huge crossbows.

Of course, that doesn't make as interesting of a show. But wasn't Tyrion basically saying that Danny couldn't storm the castle like she wanted to a couple seasons ago?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Midgetskydiver posted:

Agree on this, except maybe for Jaime if only because it felt so rushed for him to basically fall for Brienne and then go right back to Cersei and inevitable death within the span of one episode. It just felt too rushed- and Jaime's callousness toward Brienne was not in keeping with how much he had apparently grown to respect and care for her.

Even though the 6 episodes have about as much screen time as 10 there isn't the time for things to sink in.

10 Episodes would have really improved the pacing.

Astro7x posted:

Loved the episode.

My only problem from a long term storytelling standpoint is that one person riding one dragon was enough to take down all of King's Landing. Daenerys didn't even need any soldiers to do anything. The dragon took out the entire iron fleet, all of the guards along the city walls, the entire Red Keep... Like there is this whole story of Daenerys building up the army, when she could have just stormed the castle with the 3 dragons before they knew about them and built the huge crossbows.

Of course, that doesn't make as interesting of a show. But wasn't Tyrion basically saying that Danny couldn't storm the castle like she wanted to a couple seasons ago?

The dragons couldn't storm the city, they can only destroy it.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Scoss posted:

She did crucify a bunch of slaver dudes, then fed the nobles of Merreen to dragons after a plot by them killed Selmy, who was arguably the closest thing to a father she had, killed a bunch of Dothraki etc. She has a habit quite early on of burning people she doesn't like. Killing innocent civilians is something she has never done though, and it is insanely stupid a jump to have her just incinerate KL, especially when she had already won so handedly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Scoss posted:

I think in the books they spend a lot more time in Slaver’s Bay and she does some pretty awful poo poo, but it’s been so long I don’t remember specific examples.

Nothing like this though. I thought for sure she was just going to burn down the castle when she took off. It was pretty heavy handed and I’m sure Dany is dead next episode and this was the set up to soften the blow.