Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

TV Zombie posted:

I remember as a kid, using my lunch money to buy marvel comic cards. This was particularly painful to endure when we had pizza on the school menu.

Woah if you skipped pizza day for something you must have loved it

Pizza day was the most important day ever back then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Critical posted:

Going gold basically means nothing now since 90% of games have a huge day one patch. I'd rather wait three weeks instead of playing a buggy piece of poo poo like, say, the Path of Exile league I had to quit because nothing loving worked.

I get it and I agree but I was really hoping that's what the last delay was about.
More time to play Like a Dragon I guess.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

I'm waiting for ps5 to play Cyberpunk anyway so I'll probably be waiting until 2022 to play it.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

It's also a good example of how little employers care about you. Solution one for whatever is wrong was to break the crunch promise. It was only when that still wasn't enough that they had to move the date.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

My favorite response is the dude pissed that he shifted his time off for the game three times and is worried about what his boss will say about a fourth request

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Eat My Fuc posted:

I'm waiting for ps5 to play Cyberpunk anyway so I'll probably be waiting until 2022 to play it.

I'm putting off buying the next gen systems for as long as I can get away with it because I hate upgrading.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

ChrisBTY posted:

I'm putting off buying the next gen systems for as long as I can get away with it because I hate upgrading.
Should never really pick up first pass releases of new hardware anyway. Unless you have a like, gigabyte revision to remove VRMs, the first three months of any hardware is the worst of that hardware.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Listened to Bitches Brew for the first time today. Made it about halfway through before I had to attend a meeting. Loved it, looking forward it giving it another listen and hopefully making it all the way through.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

mariooncrack posted:

Listened to Bitches Brew for the first time today. Made it about halfway through before I had to attend a meeting. Loved it, looking forward it giving it another listen and hopefully making it all the way through.

Excited for you to get to Miles Runs The Voodoo Down, a top 3 Miles track imo. Keep us posted on your journey.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

NienNunb posted:

Excited for you to get to Miles Runs The Voodoo Down, a top 3 Miles track imo. Keep us posted on your journey.

Yea for sure, I love to vicariously experience these albums again through someone else's new enjoyment of it. That's why I never understood gate keeping like, who wants to hide all the good poo poo on an island? When I was getting into Jazz the only communities I knew for it were full of old curmudgeons who hated all music post 1970 and would belittle newcomers to the genre.

It did lead me to the Ken Burns documentary on Jazz though, which like all Ken Burns is a very relaxing watching experience to the point where I often fall asleep to it, but also really informative about early history of popular music in America.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I recommend How the Beatles Destroyed Rock’n’Roll by Elijah Wald if you’re looking for an interesting history of American popular music in the first half of the 20th century

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Seams posted:

I recommend How the Beatles Destroyed Rock’n’Roll by Elijah Wald if you’re looking for an interesting history of American popular music in the first half of the 20th century
This sounds really interesting. I listened recently to a three part podcast about the historical myths of the invention of Rock and Roll and holy poo poo was the retconning he was examining ever racist as gently caress.

Although he did sort of pass through the classism directed at music coming from the south too. Or whatever you want to call degrading those artists too.

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

Gumball Gumption posted:

I have so so so many questions about their development and what they found that could be so bad they need to delay again. God to be a fly on the wall of that conversation.

edit: actually judging by the post my money is on "doesn't work/runs like poo poo" on either Stadia or PS5.

Lol if this delay was caused because they were trying to get the stadia version to work better. I’m sure the 14 people still using stadia will appreciate it

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

Spiderdrake posted:

You ever gonna do a TFCon?

Depends on if my social anxiety will let me. And my wallet.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

i always buy new game hardware immediately. then i keep it sealed in box and never open it until it's been superhacked and i can download the custom firmware required to steal that console's entire library and play it online. usually you cant online with a hacked console. but day 1 consoles usually have security gaps big enough that you can do it. only the switch has been a fucker about it, funny enough. but that things weird in general.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Spiderdrake posted:

This sounds really interesting. I listened recently to a three part podcast about the historical myths of the invention of Rock and Roll and holy poo poo was the retconning he was examining ever racist as gently caress.

Although he did sort of pass through the classism directed at music coming from the south too. Or whatever you want to call degrading those artists too.

The entire music industry is built on the blood of POC and poor people of all races. Unfortunately I can't say it's changed for the better today having spent most of my adult life in that business. I was naive as hell growing up southern, poor, and making my way through the music business and the poo poo I'd heard people say in places like Los Angeles and New York made me realize at a young age racism and evils like it are as William Carlos Williams put it, "In the American grain".

The rich artists of the world very badly want to be able to express what they feel is the genuine drama of being kept down, so many rich artists I met (which was basically all of them, finding someone from a working class background in the business was so rare) were deeply jealous of the trauma of poor people because they felt it legitimized art, but at the same time would do everything they could to steal from those people and mock their circumstances.

It's rough because it's drat near impossible to have a middle class or even working class life as a musician in america. Spotify pays you .003 cents per play, labels and managers exploit the most vulnerable and will throw you a few grand here and there while they pick your pocket to slurp up all the potential wages you'd ever make in the future. You should be able to be middle class as a songwriter in America, especially with the way we exalt music in this country and how tied it is to our heritage as Americans, but while they put you on a pedestal today, they rich and the powerful and making plans to replace and put down every artist there is. They are all seen as expendable, there to make some content they can short sell and move on to the next one.

It's a bad situation, but there's a billion bad situations in every industry. On one hand i'm glad I got the hell out, on the other I wish I could have done anything to change the course, but when you're truly a working class musician it's as bad as being a wrestler with the 1099 thing, you have no union really, you have no power at all, and speaking out will surely get you silenced.

It will someday be better, but the artists have to come together and the music lovers of the world have to understand the issues and come to the artists aid too. It's a long way up.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

forkboy84 posted:

Where as forcing me to read multiple pieces of Shakespeare just gave me a lifelong aversion to his work despite the fact I know there's clearly literary value in it. The only other thing I remember reading in English that was mandatory that made a positive impression was some First World War poetry that was on the curriculum. Never really "got" poetry but the anti-war stuff really hit me at a time my political consciousness was rising.)

Oh man, loving Shakespeare. So many people have grown up hating Shakespeare because they were forced to read it in English class and that's about the worst way to experience it. I hated Shakespeare until our English teacher arranged for us to go see a production of The Tempest, and seeing it performed is so much better than sitting in a room having a bunch of bored students haltingly read aloud through various passages with zero enthusiasm.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Oh man, loving Shakespeare. So many people have grown up hating Shakespeare because they were forced to read it in English class and that's about the worst way to experience it. I hated Shakespeare until our English teacher arranged for us to go see a production of The Tempest, and seeing it performed is so much better than sitting in a room having a bunch of bored students haltingly read aloud through various passages with zero enthusiasm.

So far the only Shakespeare production (outside of movies or TV adaptations) that I've seen live that wasn't also a high-school-level production was Hamlet, in an off-off-Broadway basement theater at this place in Brooklyn back in 2010, and it was loving awesome. It was way more involving in such a smaller setting. It was one of those productions where people wore non-period outfits (like dresses and suits and ties that looked like they came from the 1930s), but as the Ian McKellen film adaptation of Richard III (set in a pseudo-WWII setting) is one of my favorite films, that aspect of it didn't bother me one bit.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you can do it in the summer assuming covid19 settles down, shakespeare in the park is good for nyc goons too

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

do not be fooled by fancy people, shakespeare is trash entertainment full of murder and ghosts and poo poo, rules. also, just make up words, anything goes

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh man, Ian McKellan's Richard III is so great. Definitely well-worth seeing.

One of my big regrets is that I didn't take the chance to see him as King Lear when it was touring. I stupidly at the time decided,"Being sensible about my money and reasonable about my lack of free time" were higher priorities, like some kind of jerk.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I don't know which I enjoy more - watching a Shakespeare story set in modern times with the original language or seeing a production set in accurate periods but with more contemporary language. I've enjoyed both. The film Richard III being my favorite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjJEXkbeL-o

Funny enough - my favorite film production of an accurate Shakespearian play is probably the one Playboy produced of MacBeth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ysd5gwHfG1w

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I have hangups about theater ever since high school so I have no urge to ever go back to one.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Romeo/Juliet or whatever they called it slapped

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jerusalem posted:

Oh man, Ian McKellan's Richard III is so great. Definitely well-worth seeing.

One of my big regrets is that I didn't take the chance to see him as King Lear when it was touring. I stupidly at the time decided,"Being sensible about my money and reasonable about my lack of free time" were higher priorities, like some kind of jerk.

Anthony Hopkins did a movie version of King Lear that was good. Macbeth still remains my all time favorite Shakespearean play.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

oh but seriously I posted:

Romeo/Juliet or whatever they called it slapped

Romeo+Juliet

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

The black and white Hamlet from way the hell back was on TMC recently and it's fantastic, just a dreamlike movie with incredible effects.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

anthony hopkins also did a movie adaptation of titus andronicus that was completely batshit crazy. ahhhh shakespeare

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Mekchu posted:

Romeo+Juliet

i saw it like 9 times because my year 11 english teacher was an alcoholic or some such. they had problems. great movie

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"Ho give me my longsword!"

*cuts to a shot of a gun in a case that has "longsword" written on it*

Love the schlock

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
The Hollow Crown adaptations ruled too although I still haven’t seen Richard III due to Cumberbatch fatigue

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I always figured Shakespeare must be the popular guy of the time that always sold well, like the Marvel movies of his time.

I saw some post-modern interpretation of Macbeth a few years ago and I could not tell you what happened. Pretty sure the original didn't have a 30 minute elevator scene.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
It is an interesting time telling 8th graders that Romeo is a total fuckboy and you know, fucks a 13 year old. So many of them do this terrible moral relativism thing so that they, mostly the girls, can still hold in high regard their ill-conception of the best boyfriend ever.

Then, none of the boys want to admit that Calypso rapes Odysseus for like, years and years even though the language is pretty stark.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Let me bust this out from my high school humanities class. This movies slaps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cVwBjwRGgg

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tbh mybfavorite classical works were The Aeneid and Dante's Inferno but I am a weird person.

Something was cool about the author of one epic being the guide/compass for the author of another epic within the story. it was all very meta and cool to my 17 year old self.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

titus andronicus is the best shakespeare play. its so good that scholars aren't sure he made it. theyre like drat...this whips so much rear end. cant be that shakespeare dingus what wrote it.

twelfth night sucks and is my least favourite. just boring. not funny. orsino is ok though. in love with being in love. relatable.

best adaptation is throne of blood. go watch it.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think any of Shakespeare's Rome plays were quite good. I still contend Macbeth is a great play simply because of the dumb as gently caress revelation at the end that leads to the "good guys" winning. It predates lovely sci-fi/hollywood writing by centuries.

Also remembering how basically The Aeneid is Rome's propaganda to explain how they're the new Greece and all just so much more cooler and better is fun to know to when reading it.

It also had some great lines like: If I can't move heaven, then I'll raise hell.

Just pre-christ emo kid writing. Love it.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

chekov is held up as Fancy Reading but its p. much melodramatic trash about trying to gently caress your aunt and falling into the thrall of disreputable women. strong recommend

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A lot of "classics" in literature are melodrama garbage when you boil it down. What sets them apart is that they're just way better at tricking the reader/audience into thinking its not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

I think the biggest issue with American Lit classes in highschool is that at least in the south a lot of it is focused on racial issues with some great books like To Kill a Mockingbird and Huckleberry Finn, but we aren't taught any of this poo poo by black novelists. I can't think of a single black novelist that was taught in my schooling before I dropped out in the 12th, poets yes but even that was an elective I took. We didn't read a single novel written by a black person in "african american lit" only poetry, letters, and essays...like what?