Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

GUILTY GEAR Xrd: Revelator #2nd Encore+ ReMIX

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

KungFu Grip posted:

I feel like I need to see more, but I'm very much not hype

Same. I like lots of characters to really appreciate a VS game, thats what drew me into MvC2 in the first place. But Capcom seems to have turned that virtue into a vice. I want lots of characters in MvC:I but Capcom is so greedy now they are going to charge me for every single one of them individually. More characters isn't a bonus any more, its burden :(

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Blockhouse posted:

I will play MvCI and like it whether its good or not

Probably same unless the netplay and loads is sfv levels of bad

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I think MvCI might end up being a fun game by complete accident, because a poo poo Vs. game still has plenty of bullshit.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
also the only person who made fun fighting games at capcom now works at snk because he was writing loving instruction manuals jesus christ capcom what is wrong with you

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

TheManSeries posted:

Thats his classic costume you dumb gently caress.

His modern costume isn't any better you retard

Still looks like a big blue rat

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

anime was right posted:

also the only person who made fun fighting games at capcom now works at snk because he was writing loving instruction manuals jesus christ capcom what is wrong with you

i still dont understand how something like this can happen

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

anime was right posted:

hold on whats this story

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

KungFu Grip posted:

hold on whats this story

Hidetoshi Ishizawa aka Neo_G, planner and/or director on most of the good Capcom FGs since the Alpha days, spent his post-MvC3 years at Capcom designing instruction manuals and websites and other promotional material because Capcom management is really really smart.

He's at SNK now and was one of the leads on KOF14.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Hidetoshi Ishizawa aka Neo_G, planner and/or director on most of the good Capcom FGs since the Alpha days, spent his post-MvC3 years at Capcom designing instruction manuals and websites and other promotional material because Capcom management is really really smart.

He's at SNK now and was one of the leads on KOF14.

according to him he was technically part of management but that means he was not touching gameplay even though like, his entire philosophy was make fun poo poo and dont care (which is why he joined snk, he has the ability to make cool poo poo and put fun first)

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

anime was right posted:

according to him he was technically part of management but that means he was not touching gameplay even though like, his entire philosophy was make fun poo poo and dont care (which is why he joined snk, he has the ability to make cool poo poo and put fun first)

Yeah I do think he genuinely got promoted out of direct development and wasn't deliberately sidelined but it must suck to see your former colleagues struggling with bad games and know you can't do much of anything to make them better.

His other reason for joining SNK was he isn't really interested in the service mentality and prefers the old system of throwing out new games with new ideas every year or so and not stressing about the imperfections.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

They should make a new alpha game and do it like MM9/10 style with nice sprites and fun gameplay.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Yeah I do think he genuinely got promoted out of direct development and wasn't deliberately sidelined but it must suck to see your former colleagues struggling with bad games and know you can't do much of anything to make them better.

His other reason for joining SNK was he isn't really interested in the service mentality and prefers the old system of throwing out new games with new ideas every year or so and not stressing about the imperfections.

yeah and this is the only reason capcom ended up making good games after the sf2 series. neo_g basically just was like "this seems fun" and there was a 50% chance the game was trash at high level, but he focused on basic concepts of whats enjoyable to do and whats interesting more than take deliberate care to water every system down and ensure nothing was dominant in power for the sake of the perception of fairness.

neo_g is the guy you want making new poo poo, i think. then you bring in a dude who understands the system to unfuck the broken poo poo he made by accident without destroying the game. neo_g is the sort of dude you want owning mid-level IP launches or something

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I just learned Injustice 2 has no PC release date :(

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

teagone posted:

I just learned Injustice 2 has no PC release date :(

probably getting a delayed release again. hopefully its more like MKXL than MKX

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.twitch.tv/tekken is gonna have a stream tomorrow at 3 PST where they show off some modes and customization (Treasure Battle, Story Mode, and some other poo poo).

Markman will be there but unfortunately so will Maximillian.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Dias posted:

I think MvCI might end up being a fun game by complete accident, because a poo poo Vs. game still has plenty of bullshit.

Again this won't happen anymore because Capcom can patch fun stuff out now

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Brosnan posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/tekken is gonna have a stream tomorrow at 3 PST where they show off some modes and customization (Treasure Battle, Story Mode, and some other poo poo).

Markman will be there but unfortunately so will Maximillian.

Look at the bright side to Maximillian being there. His built in audience has the potential to find the game interesting, maybe buy it, enjoy it, and follow it until Tekken 8 (or Tekken x Street Fighter) comes out, thus giving you more competition online!

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost
im pretty sure max's target audience wouldn't be able to handle the tekken oki

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Cool, a few thousand noobs to pound on who can't do a basic combo

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

teagone posted:

Look at the bright side to Maximillian being there. His built in audience has the potential to find the game interesting, maybe buy it, enjoy it, and follow it until Tekken 8 (or Tekken x Street Fighter) comes out, thus giving you more competition online!

That's a real loose definition of "competition" tho

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
What exactly is bad about Max? I really don't have much exposure to him aside from him casting on older Killer Instinct events and he at least seemed reasonably knowledgable there but what do I know, I'm just a scrub dadgamer trying to learn how not to gently caress up basic execution in my spare time.

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

I'll say this about Max, his series of videos on third strike has brought literally hundreds of players to 3s, who play for about ten minutes every time he releases a video or has a lobby going and whom are well known to make lobbies with bizarre character restrictions and kicking anyone who plays the game remotely well and for that the third strike community thanks him! I've never met a single serious 3S player who started in the last 3 years who got into it because of his videos.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Brosnan posted:

That's a real loose definition of "competition" tho

Sure, I get that. Max has the potential to bring in the numbers though. Having more people to play with contributing to a larger player base online — even if they are dumpster fire tier in skill and/or are drooling hugbox idiots, however you want to describe them — is better than having a small player base imo. It introduces more people to fighting games, and could be a gateway for them to get hooked, and maybe actually become decent at whatever they find interesting in a genre that's generally niche compared to most other games. Now I'm not suggesting Tekken 7 won't be popular or anything dumb like that. I just think Max gets a bad rap because of his "MAXIMUM CPM" mentality, personality, and production and that him shilling Tekken 7 is actually a good thing.

[edit]

brian posted:

I'll say this about Max, his series of videos on third strike has brought literally hundreds of players to 3s, who play for about ten minutes every time he releases a video or has a lobby going and whom are well known to make lobbies with bizarre character restrictions and kicking anyone who plays the game remotely well and for that the third strike community thanks him! I've never met a single serious 3S player who started in the last 3 years who got into it because of his videos.

Like I said... potential. :haw:

teagone fucked around with this message at 10:21 on May 1, 2017

brian
Sep 11, 2001

He's a terrible person and bad thing for everyone

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Maluco Marinero posted:

What exactly is bad about Max? I really don't have much exposure to him aside from him casting on older Killer Instinct events and he at least seemed reasonably knowledgable there but what do I know, I'm just a scrub dadgamer trying to learn how not to gently caress up basic execution in my spare time.

He's a YouTube superstar and is mediocre at games at best

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

If Max were good at fighting games, he'd probably compete. But he's not, and I don't think he has ever admitted such, so he focuses on creating VOD content and streaming (not just fighting game related content either). I don't see how that makes him "bad" in anyway tbh. His antics might not be your cup of tea, which I get, but the dude's just hustlin' to make a living. I can't knock that.

brian
Sep 11, 2001

He's a massive shill who will big up anything you want him to for more exposure and money, that said he's no worse than most of the prominent members of the FGC esports cabal

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
he's a shill but he's not a disingenuous shill so who cares

all of his non-solo streams are the worst though

brian
Sep 11, 2001

I think we might have very different ideas of what is considered genuine then

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

KungFu Grip posted:

probably getting a delayed release again. hopefully its more like MKXL than MKX

Unlike Capcom, NRS actually seems to improve with every release.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

WarEternal posted:

Unlike Capcom, NRS actually seems to improve with every release.

Here's hoping. Everything I've seen so far from Injustice 2 looks great, but I need it on Steam.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Ed Boon did confirm a PC port of Injustice 2 the other day but it won't be out until long after the console launch, I guess they'll skip vanilla and launch with the ultimate version in a year or whatever.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

teagone posted:

Sure, I get that. Max has the potential to bring in the numbers though. Having more people to play with contributing to a larger player base online — even if they are dumpster fire tier in skill and/or are drooling hugbox idiots, however you want to describe them — is better than having a small player base imo. It introduces more people to fighting games, and could be a gateway for them to get hooked, and maybe actually become decent at whatever they find interesting in a genre that's generally niche compared to most other games. Now I'm not suggesting Tekken 7 won't be popular or anything dumb like that. I just think Max gets a bad rap because of his "MAXIMUM CPM" mentality, personality, and production and that him shilling Tekken 7 is actually a good thing.

People have been saying this for years and I have yet to see a single example of a worthwhile fgc member who started because of max

If he gets more people to buy t7 good for namco but don't pretend like it's a net positive for the community when there's been years to bear out this claim without results

Maybe these people exist but it sure doesn't seem like it

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I started taking fighting games more seriously when I heard the goofy guy scream.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Maybe it doesn't matter if the people who watch his videos turn out to be any good or not?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
why bother playing fighting games when I can watch a man scream and pretend to be excited while playing them

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

The Dave posted:

I started taking fighting games more seriously when I heard the goofy guy scream.

Same but unironically, because I know people that got into the SF4 and Marvel scene because of Mike Ross and Yipes.

interrodactyl posted:

People have been saying this for years and I have yet to see a single example of a worthwhile fgc member who started because of max

If he gets more people to buy t7 good for namco but don't pretend like it's a net positive for the community when there's been years to bear out this claim without results

Maybe these people exist but it sure doesn't seem like it

Eh, so best case scenario he gets some "worthwhile" members into the community (man, that writes dumb), worst case nothing really changes, maybe T7 sells extra copies and no one gives a gently caress. I'm not a fan of Max and he produces a lot of throwaway content with bad info, but I don't think he is this CANCER on the FGC like some people do.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

VIDEOGAYYYMES

Shout outs to Maximilian_dood for introducing me to fingerpuzzles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

teagone posted:

If Max were good at fighting games, he'd probably compete. But he's not, and I don't think he has ever admitted such, so he focuses on creating VOD content and streaming (not just fighting game related content either). I don't see how that makes him "bad" in anyway tbh. His antics might not be your cup of tea, which I get, but the dude's just hustlin' to make a living. I can't knock that.

Don't be fooled by the people who are down on Max. Dude might not be the coolest but he's definitely a positive force for the community. The FGC is great bc it was one of the first game communities to support each other and prop each other up to get better. The hate is usually jokes between friends, but some dorks think it's their duty to trash folks bc like it "keeps the purity" or whatever dogma they have.