Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

It's not supposed to be funny.

Political Cartoons 2023: It's Not Supposed To Be Funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Yes?

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Rall: Let's Form a Committee to Consider the Possibility of Actually Impeaching Biden

Quote same as in cartoon.

First Dog on the Moon: Look out hot watchers it's First Dog on the Moon's TRENDS for 2024

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Yeah if Mexico was sending an army over the border to wipe Americans out I think the cries of border security would be taken much more seriously.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

socialsecurity posted:

Yeah if Mexico was sending an army over the border to wipe Americans out

Conservatives: "Yes?"

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
Oh no! Minorities doing to us what we've done to them since the concept of minorities has existed! That's terrifying!

Stay scared bitch

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
A.F. Branco

Andy Marlette

Chip Bok

John Deering

Michael Ramirez

Steve Kelley

Tom Stiglich

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Kellies Nomination: Most Opposite of Reality

Hunter literally said that he didn't want to testify because it would be a closed-door meeting

Telegnostic
Apr 24, 2008
But imagine if he said this other thing. I think that would be pretty damning.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I'm struggling to see what's wrong with this; like how is this different from hosting a "Women in Politics Christmas Party," "Members of the LGBTQ Community in Politics Christmas Party," or a "Christians in Politics Christmas Party"? It's just members of a specific group that have something in common getting together to celebrate/network; seems extremely harmless.

Edit:

I looked this up and apparently that mayor is Asian, and now I'm noticing how yellow her skin is colored and it's making me feel uncomfortable.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Dec 15, 2023

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I'm struggling to see what's wrong with this; like how is this different from hosting a "Women in Politics Christmas Party," "Members of the LGBTQ Community in Politics Christmas Party," or a "Christians in Politics Christmas Party"? It's just members of a specific group that have something in common getting together to celebrate/network; seems extremely harmless

Racism is when a minority does anything that excludes a white person.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
Why are the people at the party saying the Mayor is white? Is it some kinda model minority thing? I can't figure out what is going on in Lester's worm infected brain.

I dont know fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Dec 15, 2023

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think the 'joke' is that a couple of the people attending incorrectly assumed each other's ethnic identity, because POC status is by self-id, which is preposterous to Lester because only white conservatives should be allowed to determine people's race or ethnicity.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
I kinda wish Democrats were pettier. Like "investigating the poo poo out of Ivanka getting that deal in China which probably actually was illegal, how do you like it" petty. It would accomplish absolutely nothing of value, and they already have their hands full getting a conviction with mountains of evidence, but it'd be funny at least.

I guess impeachment inquiries are just gonna happen every Presidency now. To the Dems just loving because and to the Republicans because they're done trying to hide doing crime in the White House if they ever get in again

The Islamic Shock fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Dec 15, 2023

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on the problems besetting Rishi Sunak – The prime minister has denied that he is ‘tetchy’ when under pressure"

Telegraph:

Is Vladimir Putin right to think he’s winning in the war against Ukraine?

Matt:

Mark Drakeford resigns as First Minister of Wales

Times:

Evening Standard:

Ukraine in ‘peril’ and will be defeated without EU and US support, says Varadkar

Bonus! Prospect magazine:

(Thanks, forkboy84! :yayclod:)

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

Skios posted:

Chip Bok

Kellies nomination: Worst Caricature. I was very confused for a second as to why Jimmy Carter was back in the WH.
Also, yeah, if Zelensky were forced into exile he'd have a pretty slam-dunk asylum claim.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
It's really annoying to see all these avowed Christians pretending they have no idea who "the big guy" is.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

This week's crops:

China Daily

Fueling war by Li Min

The veto by Cai Meng

Miss the target by Cai Meng

War mania by Cai Meng

Breaking the gun culture uncredited and frankly the style is quite unique.

Le Monde

by Adene from France

by Stellina from Taiwan

COP 28 : Des négociations peu concluantes…/COP 28: Inconclusive negotiations by Gado from Kenya

Obsolescence programmée/Programmed Obsolescence by Micaël as seen in Marianne

Sorry, but I'll have to fire you before my programmed obsolescence.

by Tjeerd Royaards from the Netherlands

Les premières réserves du soutien américain à Israël/The first dip in American support for Israel by Hall from the US

Charlie Hebdo

:nws: Vagina in place of a nose

Depardieu changes sex: "Are you happy now?"

Straight talking Viktor Orban
"Europe will never corrupt Hungary!"
Tags read Russia

100YrsofAttitude fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Dec 15, 2023

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

100YrsofAttitude posted:

:nws: Vagina in place of a nose

Depardieu changes sex: "Are you happy now?"

lmao

Mod edit note (Inferior Third Season): Added spoiler tags for those of you with terrible bosses that get mad about cartoon nose vaginas.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Dec 18, 2023

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

gently caress I knew I forgot something. Spoilered it now.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Pope:

Usman Khawaja wears black armband in Perth Test, questions ICC rules around messages on shoes (ABC).

Moir:

Katauskas:

Leak, Son of Leak:

US Congress passes bill allowing sale of AUKUS nuclear submarines to Australia (Guardian).

Leunig:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

:staredog:

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

My instinct is to say "Oh, Jesus" in response to this but even invoking Jesus's name in response to this feels like giving it too much credit

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

https://twitter.com/BennettCartoons/status/1735813111049822286?s=20

Politoons from the future!

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Clay Bennett

Jeff Danziger

Jeff Stahler

Matt Davies

Pedro X. Molina

Ann Telnaes

Lee Judge

Mike Smith

Kirk Walters

John Branch

Jimmy Margulies

Ed Gamble

David M. Hitch

Carlos Latuff

Randall Enos

Kellies Nomination: Irreplaceable Helium Depletion Certificate

Dave Whamond

Amjad Rasmi

Drew Sheneman

Adam Zyglis

David Horsey

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Those two rock golems look like they're about to start making out.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

LBJ is president of Russia?

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021
Kellies Nomination: Too Many Words
Well done, you read a thesaurus once.
Also, why are your heads so big?

EDIT: can someone post the "thus, by a continuous..." emote?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbItYOd0DX4

I mean, don't the reindeer fly on magic? Why would Santa replace them with an EV? Is the idea that gasoline = magic? I don't get it.

JamesBont fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Dec 16, 2023

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021
Alright...I know this isn't a political strip, but I have to put my foot down at this story arc of Dustin: a comic made by Jeff Parker and a regular offender in these threads, Steve Kelley, AKA SKelley. Now, I don't know how much percentage of the bile should be directed at each, but judging by the art style (because SKelley can't draw anything but malformed 2D bird people), I'll give Parker a pass.

“Now I haunt the victims of the capitalist greed I embodied, and try to explain to them why it’s really all their fault for being lazy and not pulling themselves up by their bootstraps.”

Dustin’s “problem” is that he’s lazy and a bit dim-witted. He does not have any issue “socializing” with people. He has a couple of friends and he’s not at all shy about approaching women. He “strikes out”, yes, but that’s more the result of Dustin’s poor job prospects and the SKelley's own internal misogyny than him being shy and introverted.

Compounding the problem, this scene is analogous to the one in A Christmas Carol where young Scrooge is seen alone at school reading–a circumstance that had nothing to do with introversion or anti-social tendencies, and everything to do with having a cruel father who didn’t let him come home over the holiday break, and demonstrated how the neglect Scrooge endured in his formative years laid the foundation for his current misanthropy.

But of course the idea that the older generations have any sort of responsibility to the younger is a concept entirely alien to Dustin and SKelley.

I’m pretty sure that the message of A Christmas Carol isn’t “The key to happiness and eternal salvation is to devote yourself to being a wageslave.” I always wondered what A Christmas Carol would be like if a sociopath wrote the story. I don’t have to wonder any longer.

So what you're saying is, for all of their huffing and puffing, Dustin’s parents are spineless cowards that won't do anything because they are terrible parents.

And I assume that's the end of this story arc! Dustin has learned nothing because status quo is god, and this whole arc was a complete waste of time. I look forward to next year's It's A Wonderful Life arc where Clarence shows how everyone else's lives would be better if Dustin didn't exist and he should kill himself.

I love A Christmas Carol. It's a beautifully written fable about how exploitation and indifference to human suffering kills the soul and results in an empty, unmourned life, and how as long as we are alive it is not too late to make a new start for ourselves. The idea of Dickens’ ghosts being appropriated to tell us how Kids These Days are lazy bums and a drain on the good people of society is the antithesis to everything the story stands for. 

In short, gently caress THIS STORY ARC, gently caress YOU DUSTIN, AND gently caress YOU SKELLEY YOU PIECE OF loving poo poo. gently caress!

Kellies Nomination: Worst Overall

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
What happened to Dr. King in the end anyway Kirk? Do they teach that?

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple

Ah, geez. And you got the stink lines and everything.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Wait, I thought liberals destroyed Santa by claiming that he was black?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
"Colleges churn out bleeding heart liberal crybaby SJWs who are overly sensitive to racial and religious issues!"
"Also, they never learn about MLK!"

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Dr. King??? Do you mean that commie terrorist who should have been lynched?!? :freep:

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
the mention of Dustin brings me the sad news that some guy who apparently registered to Wikipedia for the sole purpose of editing the Dustin page has modified the wildly opinionated character descriptions to now describe Dustin as a lazy moocher rather than a heroic everyman. booo

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

idonotlikepeas posted:

David M. Hitch

I know the intended message because of who the author is but I'm having a hard time reading this as anything other than "we jerked off for five years and this pithy comment is what we have to show for it".

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It’s worth noting Jeff Parker was a regular in this thread until he quit doing political cartooning to focus on…Dustin. Not sure which career option is worse.

I believe Jeff does the art and Skelley does the writing, which explains the strip’s politics as Parker is a milquetoast liberal for the most part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Thanks for the write up. It really does suck and would fit right into this thread as Dustin is almost entirely about how much Kelley hates young people but not enough to do so competently or consistently. It's just a random line of burns against a strawman he shits out daily.

Particularly stupid is the Christmas Past strip since Dustin is well-socialized. The entire strip tries to portray Dustin as rightfully getting what he deserves because haw haw, stupid lazy millennial, but it's also disgustingly mean-spirited. The Eternal Loser is a classic for comedy but this is a strip where Dustin will greet somebody and they'll immediately call him a stupid loser to his face. Everybody in this world can smell the "loser" on Dustin, a 20 something college graduate.

What really makes it political is occasionally Kelley will sneak in what he thinks a proper man is like, usually a 7 foot tall triangle torso'd guy three times as wide as Dustin is. Dustin wants to stay syndicated in newspapers as a normal comic strip so he always tip toes around just spewing "this is you, leftie losers, get a job."

Then there's his dad Ed, who is always a painfully thin self-insert of how Kelley saw something so wacky and god drat stupid these days to lance with his wit(coffee cups be having stupid names for their sizes! retail employees be not giving me as much respect as I want!) but is also a deeply selfish rear end in a top hat. You may be noticing a trend here with how Kelley thinks... oh well, I'm sure in real life he's a hard working sensible everyman built like a 6'4" steel-jawed conservative hero, unlike the loser beta men of today. :v:

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Dec 16, 2023