Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i loved it. the fact that my absolute favorite part of the movie lasts like 90 seconds out of 135 odd minutes probably sums up my feelings about the movie as a whole.

edit: have any of you motherfuckers seen Coherence yet?

This was the film with the scared folks in a house? Twilight Zone-esque?

edit. Yep. Didn't like it enough to finish it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEceDz1Rodc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
I've seen Coherence. It was pretty good, but I felt like the plot was a little too...circular? There's a delicate balance with these twisty low-budget Twilight Zone-esque movies like this, Primer and Predestination where if you do it wrong you reach a critical mass of 'scenes that recontextualize an earlier scene' and I stop being able to care. Does that make any sense?

e: Predestination is a much worse offender, that movie doubles back on itself to a comical degree. Primer's probably the worst of this little 'subgenre' acting-wise but I dunno, I just love the gently caress out of Primer for some reason. It's got a great atmosphere to it that these other ones can't match for me.

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Mar 20, 2015

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Yeah but why am I supposed to give a poo poo about Coulson he's barely even a character

His characterization is that he's a comic book fan. He has all of Captain America's baseball cards. Nick Fury even stains one of them with fake blood to trick Captain American into 'Avengers, Assemble!'-ing.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Didn't Nick Fury even say that he kinda had to die to teach the Avengers something about learning teamwork or something?

The entire subtext of The Avengers is that an Avengers movie is loving stupid and doesn't make any sense, not just because these characters have no real reason to work with each other, but because the state of comic books in general is so cynical and hosed in a desperate effort to keep readers attentions after decades that S.H.I.E.L.D. itself is basically a fascist organization manufacturing super-Nazi technology. The only thing that can rationalize the ultimate assembling of the Avengers under this cynical infrastructure is the almost proverbial death of a fanboy.

Let's be clear about how hosed up this is: This fanboy works for an organization that is covertly manufacturing super-Nazi technology in order to police the globe on behalf of the Illuminati. Coulson's being a fan of Captain America, especially after realizing that S.H.I.E.L.D. is basically just the continuation of the forces he and a thousands of other soldiers died trying to stave off, is basically like learning a Nazi is his biggest fan. But he decides that he ultimately sympathizes with Coulson's tragic death because 'he was only following orders.'

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Slate Action posted:

I've seen Coherence. It was pretty good, but I felt like the plot was a little too...circular? There's a delicate balance with these twisty claustrophobic movies like this, Primer and Predestination where you reach a critical mass of 'scenes that recontextualize an earlier scene' and I stop being able to care. Does that make any sense?

i think it makes sense, but not in this context. if that makes sense. like what you're describing sounds more like, say, why i disliked Run Lola Run than anything i can think of involving this movie. i thought it was like Primer, but good.

Maarak posted:

This was the film with the scared folks in a house? Twilight Zone-esque?

ya. i thought it was like You're Next, but good.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

real blood

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Coherance has been on my short list of movies to get around to seeing but your dissing of good movies in saying that it is good doesn't exactly make me enthusiastic to get around to it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

axleblaze posted:

Coherance has been on my short list of movies to get around to seeing but your dissing of good movies in saying that it is good doesn't exactly make me enthusiastic to get around to it.

don't watch good movies

(i'm using reverse psychology)

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

ya. i thought it was like You're Next, but good.

See, that's weird because You're Next was the loving poo poo.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Surely it's possible for someone's tastes to be so radically opposed to yours that their recommendations are more useful if you take the opposite of what they say as true, right? That seems to happen a lot around here.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

See, that's weird because You're Next was the loving poo poo.

yes, You're Next was loving poo poo. the part with Joe Swanburg raving about how much he loves commercials is good though. and The Guest was pretty fun.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

edit: have any of you motherfuckers seen Coherence yet?
Yeah, fun premise to draw you in and when you're about wonder 'why should I care', the film provides a solid reason to do so.

Now I'm waiting out the months until Two Days, One Night and The Duke of Burgundy hit streaming so I can hear more people talk about how great they are.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

yes, You're Next was loving poo poo. the part with Joe Swanburg raving about how much he loves commercials is good though. and The Guest was pretty fun.

I liked You're Next, but The Guest was better in every single way.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Speaking of You're Next, I watched The ABCs of Death for the first time tonight. Adam Wingard directs one of the segments in that. Overall there were some good ideas in there but it was mostly just really loving bad. Although the final segment directed by the dude who did Tokyo Gore Police was a riot. I have no intention of watching ABCs of Death 2, though.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

TrixRabbi posted:

I don't even remember the first scene. Udo Kier is great in it but he's just barely there at all.

Is Flesh for Frankenstein any better? I have a copy of it but I was so bored by Blood for Dracula that I never bothered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErHhNJ586IY

No, it's worse.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

ABC's of Death 2 had a funny opening. Then it was poo poo for like, 90% of the running time. There was one at the end, or maybe it was the end, that was pretty gross with some great gore effects. Like ABC 1, not worth watching.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

I liked You're Next, but The Guest was better in every single way.

You're Next feels like someone trying to do a "smart" horror movie and falling very short, The Guest feels like someone trying to do a middle of the road DTV movie and doing really well

i've literally only heard overwhelmingly positive things about Paul Morrisey's Dracula/Frankenstein movies before now, but i haven't seen either of them so i can't comment

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Yeah, I really liked it.

EDIT:

Whoever was repping Black Sea was right. It's really dope.

LesterGroans fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 20, 2015

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Coherence was cool, but it wasn't very good. Like the concept, but The One I Love and strangely +1 kinda did the concept a bit better. Coherence probably sticks the landing better than +1 did.

I enjoyed You're Next, but I've grown to like the revolving Swanberg / Ti West crew though it's easy to see why people dislike them.

The Guest was slick. Wingard's segments of VHS2 and ABC's of Death 1 were the worst parts of those things, and I haven't seen much else from him yet.

The segments of ABCs of Death 2 that are worth seeing are: A, B, M, O, and maybe V and Z. It's pretty bad overall.

I can't remember much from it, but I think the ones directed by Japanese people and the one with the cult leader from VHS 2 were worth watching from ABCs of Death 1.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

I have not posted much lately, so here is a quick rundown of topics.

-My coworker got caught stealing money and got fired today. Seeing him do it on camera was honestly really depressing because I knew how completely strapped for cash he and has girlfriend were. That being said, he managed to steal $300 JUST TODAY and it has been happening for like two weeks according to the boss, so gently caress him.
-Chappie owns bones. I don't understand why people did not like it that much. It is so much better than District 9 and Yolandi was fantastic in it.
-Better Call Saul is so much better than I thought it would be. I can't wait for the horrible death spiral that will lead to Saul being Saul from Breaking Bad.
-To Pimp a Butterfly is good, but I doubt I will listen to it too much because of it's length and lack of shuffleable songs. That being said, King Kunta is great even though that like 10/10 people hate it.
-Jenny Death is pretty good even though everything since Money Store has been meh and completely forgettable. Ex Military is still a stone cold classic and Money Store is real dope.
-Mr Wonderful is dope and I don't care. Action Bronson gets too much poo poo.
-You're Next is really loving great and so is The Guest, but I love home invasion movies and the faux 80 aesthetic, so I might be bias for both.
-YouTube money is really hard to get.
-I am jealous of that Squarepusher concert Mr. Flunchy went to.

Now for a question: Do I watch A Most Violent Year, The Gunman, or Run All Night this Saturday afternoon. I have not watched a trailer of any of them.

Fat Lou fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Mar 20, 2015

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Fat Lou posted:

Now for a question: Do I watch A Most Violent Year, The Gunman, or Run All Night this Saturday afternoon. I have not watched a trailer of any of them.

I really liked A Most Violent Year but it got a pretty lukewarm reception here. Haven't seen the other two.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Fat Lou posted:

-YouTube money is really hard to get.

Word.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy56zzVAaJc

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

LA Beast earns every loving dollar he makes. The man is a national treasure.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Fat Lou posted:

-To Pimp a Butterfly is good, but I doubt I will listen to it too much because of it's length and lack of shuffleable songs. That being said, King Kunta is great even though that like 10/10 people hate it.
-Jenny Death is pretty good even though everything since Money Store has been meh and completely forgettable. Ex Military is still a stone cold classic and Money Store is real dope.
-Mr Wonderful is dope and I don't care. Action Bronson gets too much poo poo.
-You're Next is really loving great and so is The Guest, but I love home invasion movies and the faux 80 aesthetic, so I might be bias for both.

Even morseo than Good Kid, To Pimp A Butterfly feels like too much of a cohesive piece to take a few songs out of it for my playlist. Probably because of how each track transitions into the next.
Glad to hear Jenny Death is pretty good, because I feel the same way about everything that isn't Money Store.
Glad to hear the new Bronsolino is dope. I loving love Action Bronson.

I haven't seen the other two, but I don't much care for A Most Violent Year. Everything about it in my head flags it as an awesome movie, but in reality it really isn't something I enjoyed even remotely.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i'd also like to take this opportunity to poo poo on people who complain about spoilers in movies based on true stories, so, Foxcatcher is about a schizophrenic guy who shot an olympic wrestler

You're a loving rear end in a top hat. I had no idea where the story went when I watched it, because I am not aware of a murder that happened in the US in 1996. Its not something that one can assume everyone would know about. You're not just being an rear end in a top hat, you're exulting in it, so gently caress you, prick.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Mar 20, 2015

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
I just found out a couple dudes I know from high school are extremely famous and have a double platinum album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnZpgKgWwLo

It's a weird discovery, I should keep in better touch with people

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

therattle posted:

You're a loving rear end in a top hat. I had no idea where the story went when I watched it

Just saying, I hadn't seen the spoiler from a previous page but considering your stance on spoilers you may want to edit it out of your post because I did see it there.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

axleblaze posted:

Here's the warning:

When people say Coherence is like Primer, they're not referring to Primer the film. They're referring to primer-chart.jpg

No joke there. The director's process of the creation of the film was to spend a year charting the all the plot fuckery. The filming was based on the chart, but otherwise improvised. It's acinematic, and doesn't establish the kind of strong tone and unambiguous imagery that kept Primer afloat. He recommends watching it about 3-4 times to really 'get it'. You won't.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Fat Lou posted:

LA Beast earns every loving dollar he makes. The man is a national treasure.

I don't disagree.
Have a good day! :buddy:

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

He recommends watching it about 3-4 times to really 'get it'.

I think the only other phrase that'll turn me off from seeing a movie is "You have to see it in IMAX!"

wyoming fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Mar 20, 2015

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Just saying, I hadn't seen the spoiler from a previous page but considering your stance on spoilers you may want to edit it out of your post because I did see it there.

Well, I quoted his post which had the spoiler; it seemed like the damage had been done already. I know I got all het up but it's such a dick move. It's a bit like saying "You might find this name for you offensive but I don't or shouldn't, so I'll just keep on using it, kike."

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Slate Action posted:

I've seen Coherence. It was pretty good, but I felt like the plot was a little too...circular? There's a delicate balance with these twisty low-budget Twilight Zone-esque movies like this, Primer and Predestination where if you do it wrong you reach a critical mass of 'scenes that recontextualize an earlier scene' and I stop being able to care. Does that make any sense?

e: Predestination is a much worse offender, that movie doubles back on itself to a comical degree. Primer's probably the worst of this little 'subgenre' acting-wise but I dunno, I just love the gently caress out of Primer for some reason. It's got a great atmosphere to it that these other ones can't match for me.

I think with Primer, the sequences and consequences and actions are definitely meant to be opaque, and confusing, you're supposed to get completely lost along with the characters because of this uncontrollable destructive reality that they've created and the facets of which they've hidden from each other. Puzzling it out feels like you're approaching it as a math problem rather than a story.

Predestination isn't anything like that, the plot just involves paradox.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 210 days!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Here's the warning:

When people say Coherence is like Primer, they're not referring to Primer the film. They're referring to primer-chart.jpg

No joke there. The director's process of the creation of the film was to spend a year charting the all the plot fuckery. The filming was based on the chart, but otherwise improvised. It's acinematic, and doesn't establish the kind of strong tone and unambiguous imagery that kept Primer afloat. He recommends watching it about 3-4 times to really 'get it'. You won't.

Noted for posterity: it is possible for a film to be too obtuse for SMG.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Hodgepodge posted:

Noted for posterity: it is possible for a film to be too obtuse for SMG.

Balderdash.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

K. Waste posted:

The entire subtext of The Avengers is that an Avengers movie is loving stupid and doesn't make any sense, not just because these characters have no real reason to work with each other, but because the state of comic books in general is so cynical and hosed in a desperate effort to keep readers attentions after decades that S.H.I.E.L.D. itself is basically a fascist organization manufacturing super-Nazi technology. The only thing that can rationalize the ultimate assembling of the Avengers under this cynical infrastructure is the almost proverbial death of a fanboy.

Let's be clear about how hosed up this is: This fanboy works for an organization that is covertly manufacturing super-Nazi technology in order to police the globe on behalf of the Illuminati. Coulson's being a fan of Captain America, especially after realizing that S.H.I.E.L.D. is basically just the continuation of the forces he and a thousands of other soldiers died trying to stave off, is basically like learning a Nazi is his biggest fan. But he decides that he ultimately sympathizes with Coulson's tragic death because 'he was only following orders.'

I took more offense at the idea that he had to die for The Avengers, which includes a goddamn god, to all work together. We are inferior to Marvel characters, and we must sacrifice ourselves to make earth's saviors stop whining like pissbabies.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

axleblaze posted:

Coherence is solid but it ain't no Run Lola Run or Primer.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Skywalker OG posted:

The Guest was slick. Wingard's segments of VHS2 and ABC's of Death 1 were the worst parts of those things, and I haven't seen much else from him yet.

It's baffling to me that someone could make it through ABCs of Death and consider Wingard's segment the worst part. It wasn't great mind you but it was still somehow better than most of the segments in there, which is more depressing than anything else. I think out of all the Director's I had actually heard of going into the movie, he certainly came out the best.

Also you have seen the majority of Wingard's movies. Assuming you have also seen the original V/H/S I think you've seen the same amount that most people have seen.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
I finally watched Rise of the Planet of the Apes because I wanted to watch the new one from last year, and wow that is a hella solid movie. They got some crazy characterization out of CGI apes with almost no dialogue.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

therattle posted:

Well, I quoted his post which had the spoiler; it seemed like the damage had been done already. I know I got all het up but it's such a dick move. It's a bit like saying "You might find this name for you offensive but I don't or shouldn't, so I'll just keep on using it, kike."

let the record show, that i may have spoiled a true story, but i am not an anti semite. love that you went there, though.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

I finally watched Rise of the Planet of the Apes because I wanted to watch the new one from last year, and wow that is a hella solid movie. They got some crazy characterization out of CGI apes with almost no dialogue.

Dawn is also pretty good. The solid characterization is still there, and we see how ape society continues to grow, along with their growing enmity with the humans.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Settle down therattle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

LoonShia posted:

Dawn is also pretty good. The solid characterization is still there, and we see how ape society continues to grow, along with their growing enmity with the humans.

Sounds good, I think I'm gonna watch it today to distract myself from applying for internships.

• Locked thread