Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Disappointing Pie posted:

But it looks like the analog version might can do both?

Also if you get the analog are you screwed out of getting the 2nd ram chip down the road?

Yes and yes. If you don't see it as a priority to play on CRTs then don't get the analog stuff because you're just wasting money pointlessly otherwise. MiSTer looks great on modern TVs that have game modes and you can even simulate the CRT look as you can see in that tweet just above your post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

I'm not sure if I'm going to but I may try to dive into this scene after tax refund time.

I'm eyeballing this: https://misteraddons.com/products/mister-pre-configured-bundle-with-aluminum-case?variant=39440209084549

I have a couple questions, I'm still a bit confused by the analog vs digital, I do have a CRT but I also have several nice 1080p/1440p/4k TV's around the house, the CRT isn't that great. I do like the idea of getting a retro feel from the CRT but is there much difference? But it looks like the analog version might can do both?

Also if you get the analog are you screwed out of getting the 2nd ram chip down the road? I'm seeing stuff about the PSX core in development works microseconds better with a 2nd ram chip. And I'd like to future proof this thing as much as possible if I decide to go down this rabbit hole.
Only worry about the Standard/Analog IO board for a CRT if you want to be able to output to a CRT and use HDMI at the same time (if you're a streamer for example and want to use a CRT to actually play). You can still use a CRT with the regular HDMI output with a simple DAC.

As with computers I'd caution about trying to future proof since several months ago prior to the PSX core bursting onto the scene I'm pretty sure I remember porkchop/misteraddons musing that carrying the non-Standard IO boards was a waste of inventory because the Digital IO didn't really offer much. Stuff changes. Though I am doubtful there's much more that can physically done with that footprint, that second set of GPIO pins was pretty much it.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Digital IO is nice, I like the power switch and the optical audio out has less static feedback compared to the standard. I’d rather play on my big main TV than my CRT these days so I’m glad the digital version exists

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
The newest version of the official downloader now has custom filters. By editing the ini you can specify what you want and what you don't want. An example they give is using "filter = arcade-cores !arcade-pong" to download all arcade cores except Pong.

I'm happy to see this, as I don't like using update all scripts and prefer to curate everything myself.

Also, the other day in Discord FPGAzumSpass mentioned something interesting in the PSX core channel. He's been tinkering with an option to force 240p output at all times for anyone that prefers to avoid 480i. It's on the backburner for now since there are obviously bigger things to tackle, but it's nice to know he's thinking about it.

EDIT: And in the few hours since I last looked in on the PSX core, he posted this:
https://twitter.com/AzumFpg/status/1484555271397646341

Corin Tucker's Stalker fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jan 21, 2022

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

ZeroWing arcade core!

https://twitter.com/Darren__O/status/1484676951319015425

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
saturn update

https://twitter.com/srg320_/status/1484974414978502666

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIWMjT4Fb5Y

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
The filter/scanline stuff is so great. I'm in love with it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The only downside I've had with the new filters is that as far as I can tell there is no decent way to get vertical scanlines on vertically orientated arcade titles until those are individually updated to take advantage of the 64 phase filters. Ideally you would swap the placement (you'd put the Scanlines in Horizontal and the Upscaling in Vertical rather than vice versa) but at present these games are downsampling the 64 phase into 16 and it results in them not looking that great with a ton of banding.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Nate RFB posted:

Only worry about the Standard/Analog IO board for a CRT if you want to be able to output to a CRT and use HDMI at the same time (if you're a streamer for example and want to use a CRT to actually play). You can still use a CRT with the regular HDMI output with a simple DAC.

As with computers I'd caution about trying to future proof since several months ago prior to the PSX core bursting onto the scene I'm pretty sure I remember porkchop/misteraddons musing that carrying the non-Standard IO boards was a waste of inventory because the Digital IO didn't really offer much. Stuff changes. Though I am doubtful there's much more that can physically done with that footprint, that second set of GPIO pins was pretty much it.

There is still at least one known use case. FPGAzumSpass said in the MiSTer Discord that he was probably going to add dual-RAM-only features like better audio/extra FPS/better color depth/etc. If he actually implements those, then given that's a high-profile core (and presumably there will be people switching to dual-RAM setups for the extra features), it wouldn't surprise me if other core authors end up doing similar stuff. Whether any of that's worth it to folks is another question.

Kreeblah fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jan 24, 2022

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Kreeblah posted:

There is still at least one known use case. FPGAzumSpass said in the MiSTer Discord that he was probably going to add dual-RAM-only features like better audio and such. Given that's a high-profile core, it wouldn't surprise me if other core authors end up doing similar stuff. Whether any of that's worth it to folks is another question.

So far the only quote I've seen from Spass says single stick ram will have an audio delay that "imperceptible by a human".
Other authors aren't going to "add in" dual stick features just because - if it needs it to run the authors will require it.

This isn't to call you out specifically, but there's this huge worry about dual ram that's just silly. Saturn is most likely the last major console core that's going to be developed just because of the technical limitations of the DE10, and that author has said nothing about it requiring dual ram.

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jan 24, 2022

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Crackbone posted:

So far the only quote I've seen from Spass says single stick ram will have an audio delay that "imperceptible by a human".
Other authors aren't going to "add in" dual stick features just because - if it needs it to run the authors will require it.

This isn't to call you out specifically, but there's this huge worry about dual ram that's just silly. Saturn is most likely the last major console core that's going to be developed just because of the technical limitations of the DE10.

https://discord.com/channels/647909397477195803/918220604736438272/930161437765156944 is where I was getting that from. It is an open question regarding whether that shows up, though.

Edit: Regarding the other cores thing, I know the GBA core at least has some timing issues due to limitations of the MiSTer hardware. I can't recall whether that included RAM timing or not. If it does, then maybe there could be some use for a more-accurate mode that way. It probably wouldn't make much (if any) difference in the user experience, but I could see core authors maybe doing stuff like that (in the rare situations where it's applicable) if there ends up being a decent size user base with two memory modules.

Kreeblah fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jan 24, 2022

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Kreeblah posted:

There is still at least one known use case. FPGAzumSpass said in the MiSTer Discord that he was probably going to add dual-RAM-only features like better audio/extra FPS/better color depth/etc. If he actually implements those, then given that's a high-profile core (and presumably there will be people switching to dual-RAM setups for the extra features), it wouldn't surprise me if other core authors end up doing similar stuff. Whether any of that's worth it to folks is another question.
Oh to be clear I agree, I was only trying to say that future proofing any form of system like this especially one that is in as active development as the MiSTer can be pretty hard. We went from "no one should buy the Digital IO, it's pointless" to "Digital IO is probably the only add-on IO board worth owning", just gotta be flexible about some of this stuff and perhaps more pointedly if you are buying a pre-built system be prepared to maybe having to open it up some day. In this particular case the second set of GPIO pins was pretty much the only remaining question mark of a future upgrade and it's hard for me to see what else could go in there other than the second RAM stick. I guess if there is ever a redesigned IO board entirely that offers some other yet unknown features but there's not much point in worrying about that now.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

In order to move my Sega CD stuff to an external hard-drive, all I should need to do is make a "games" folder and stick the actual folder with the roms in that, right? I can't for the life of me find recent instructions on how to do this - just forum posts of frustrated people running into issues. Is there a simple step-by-step somewhere?

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

George RR Fartin posted:

In order to move my Sega CD stuff to an external hard-drive, all I should need to do is make a "games" folder and stick the actual folder with the roms in that, right? I can't for the life of me find recent instructions on how to do this - just forum posts of frustrated people running into issues. Is there a simple step-by-step somewhere?

If you're moving the entire MegaCD to USB and not going to be putting any games on SDCard, you want the Folder to be "USBROOT\MegaCD" otherwise it the core wont find it.

There's probably a more in depth guide somewhere but kitrinx hasn't really published it anywhere outside of word of mouth over discord.

Edit: I did some more digging and apparently it looks for a matching core folder in this order:

/media/usb0/MegaCD
/media/usb0/Games/MegaCD
/media/fat/cifs/MegaCD
/media/fat/cifs/Games/MegaCD
/media/fat/Games/MegaCD

the CIFS stuff will vary with how you set up the script.

if you want to mix and match medium you can just rename the folder to MegaCD_USB and it might show it up in the folder browser if you back up a level from default.

w00tazn fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jan 25, 2022

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
After watching this project for like 2 years now, I’m finally thinking about getting one, but it seems like it’s possibly the worst time to jump in? Are there any thoughts on if de10/component prices will go down or are they all subject to the chip shortage? Seems like it’s hard to find sdram and things like the usb hub as well.

E: not that it really matters, i just bought a back ordered de10 from mouser for $230

VladimirLeninpest fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jan 25, 2022

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

The last time I tried to use a USB drive I couldn't get it to work at all. This time around, I deleted the matching folders on the SD card, plugged the drive in - folder structure unchanged - and it worked.

*shrug*

I'll take it.

Thanks for the breakdown of how it should work to confirm - I thought I was going crazy and gave up a few months back.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

VladimirLeninpest posted:

After watching this project for like 2 years now, I’m finally thinking about getting one, but it seems like it’s possibly the worst time to jump in? Are there any thoughts on if de10/component prices will go down or are they all subject to the chip shortage? Seems like it’s hard to find sdram and things like the usb hub as well.

E: not that it really matters, i just bought a back ordered de10 from mouser for $230
I'm pretty sure the DE10 price bump is considered permanent, chip shortage/covid reasons or not. SDRAM seems to still be fairly available (at least it's still in stock on misteraddons) and I expect of all of the add-on boards the USB hub is most likely to come back sooner rather than later and you can always make do to with a cheap hub dongle in the mean time.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

George RR Fartin posted:

each game needs to have its own individual folder, I may be misremembering, but the core can't do on the fly decompression so the data track and audio tracks and the cue all have to be in the same folder per game. other than that the general folder structure is ...games/roms or isos for that system so ie

games/segacd/(folders for all your cd games
games/genesis/(all your genesis roms)

you can also have subfolders per system if you want to sort your games so ie

game/genesis

/a-d
/e-k
..../ect

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

Nate RFB posted:

I'm pretty sure the DE10 price bump is considered permanent, chip shortage/covid reasons or not. SDRAM seems to still be fairly available (at least it's still in stock on misteraddons) and I expect of all of the add-on boards the USB hub is most likely to come back sooner rather than later and you can always make do to with a cheap hub dongle in the mean time.

Thank you, this makes me feel better. I was seeing posts about when the de10 was $170 and was worried it may go back to that and I’ll have made a mistake.

I ordered the SDRAM, a bluetooth receiver and a mini hub, so i should be good for a basic setup! Thank you very much

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

The newest version of the official downloader now has custom filters. By editing the ini you can specify what you want and what you don't want. An example they give is using "filter = arcade-cores !arcade-pong" to download all arcade cores except Pong.

I'm happy to see this, as I don't like using update all scripts and prefer to curate everything myself.

Speaking of this, does the update all and official update scripts conflict with each other structure-wise? Like after I use update all once to get the MAME ROMs is there any reason to use it again besides the MAME ROMs?

So happy about this thing. I'm getting the digital IO now so I can use the MT-32 Pi with it. I think I definitely will get either Jammix or Mistercade/similar type board at some point once more case options are a thing. I finally got around to trying out the X68000 on this and holy poo poo :hellyeah: been wanting to play this thing in some decent quality forever

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jan 26, 2022

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Neo Rasa posted:

Speaking of this, does the update all and official update scripts conflict with each other structure-wise? Like after I use update all once to get the MAME ROMs is there any reason to use it again besides the MAME ROMs?

So happy about this thing. I'm getting the digital IO now so I can use the MT-32 Pi with it. I think I definitely will get either Jammix or Mistercade/similar type board at some point once more case options are a thing. I finally got around to trying out the X68000 on this and holy poo poo :hellyeah: been wanting to play this thing in some decent quality forever

You shouldn't need the official update script if you use update all, it calls that very same script itself for the official cores. So technically it shouldn't mess with file structures as far as I know when it comes to that.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Welp, my 9.7" 3K iPad display finally made it from China and it won't take a signal from my MiSTer. I've tried different cables and adjusting the ini file to no avail. My MacBook Pro has no issues recognizing it as an external display with the correct resolution.

I guess I'll submit for a refund.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Just checking, have you tried powering it externally?

A couple from the threads are fucky though, yeah

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

I have a (dumb) question about the Turbografx/PC engine core: I'm trying to run Castlevania: Rondo of Blood, but it just keeps saying "CD bios not found!". I have tried to put the game in many different folders, including the one for CD games. Any ideas what might be the problem?

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Spiderdrake posted:

Just checking, have you tried powering it externally?

A couple from the threads are fucky though, yeah

Mine runs like doo doo without an actual power adapter. It flickers and gets weird.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Tac Dibar posted:

I have tried to put the game in many different folders

You mean putting the BIOS file, right? That's what missing, though the whole process is convoluted as is anyway.

So, specifically, you need to have "Super CD-ROM2 System V3.00 (J).pce", it needs to be renamed to "cd_bios.rom", and it should be in the main CD images directory.

Additionally, if you need specific BIOS images for US games or Game Express you need to have those also named "cd_bios.rom" and be specifically added to whatever game's own subdirectory so it's used instead of the main BIOS.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Get and run the update_all and it should automatically grab all of the bios files you need and it will put them where they belong. That should cover 99% of situations.

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

You mean putting the BIOS file, right? That's what missing, though the whole process is convoluted as is anyway.

So, specifically, you need to have "Super CD-ROM2 System V3.00 (J).pce", it needs to be renamed to "cd_bios.rom", and it should be in the main CD images directory.

Additionally, if you need specific BIOS images for US games or Game Express you need to have those also named "cd_bios.rom" and be specifically added to whatever game's own subdirectory so it's used instead of the main BIOS.

Thank you both! I'll do the "update all" thing again, even though I feel like I've done it already a couple of times? Hmm. I have now also downloaded a bunch of bios files - I'll report on how it all went.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
You might have to delete the old BIOS files to make sure it pulls in the new ones (or rather than delete just move them off the SD card for now) and go into the update_all options by pressing up when you launch it to make sure it it's actually enabled to grab the BIOS files in the first place.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009
https://twitter.com/MisterAddons/status/1486588103661735936?s=20

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
From the replies in the thread it sounds like this is basically a Direct Video adapter in a form designed to go inside a case with convenient outputs.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009
Sounds good to me. The main thing preventing me from buying one now is that I don't know how the dual ram thing will go, and I use component video, which the direct video doesn't do.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Yeah direct can’t do S-Video either. Hardly a good replacement to the dedicated board

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

hatty posted:

Yeah direct can’t do S-Video either. Hardly a good replacement to the dedicated board

Porkchop is slow to deliver as well. I’ve been waiting for his aluminum cases to come in stock since October and they are available now but only in $500 bundles.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I asked the other day about hdmi vs crt.

So a guy near me is selling a 36” Trinitron KV-XBR200 for less than $100 which while weighing apparently as much as a small Honda is an amazing tv. Or so a crt dude has told me. I just don’t have anything to really use on it currently system wise. So would a mister hooked up to it look good? It has component, s-video etc.

I’m very nostalgic for that old snes scanline look. And want to play old retro games as accurately as possible without having a mess of old consoles.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Yes the Mister can do component out. Honestly some of the adaptive scanline stuff on Mister is probably good enough that you could just use your normal TV and get a decent approximation of a CRT. Paying 100 dollars for a consumer set kinda sucks.

Check this out and see what you think.
https://twitter.com/TrashUncle/status/1486005992445804547?t=VjzrjgCXk36OdDo5_a1Hcw&s=19

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

So a guy near me is selling a 36” Trinitron KV-XBR200 for less than $100 which while weighing apparently as much as a small Honda is an amazing tv. Or so a crt dude has told me. I just don’t have anything to really use on it currently system wise. So would a mister hooked up to it look good? It has component, s-video etc.

I’m very nostalgic for that old snes scanline look. And want to play old retro games as accurately as possible without having a mess of old consoles.

I’m not an expert or anything but based on my experience, big consumer sets tend to lose a lot of sharpness. Especially in the corners.

Pegnose Pete fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jan 28, 2022

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

So a guy near me is selling a 36” Trinitron KV-XBR200 for less than $100 which while weighing apparently as much as a small Honda is an amazing tv. Or so a crt dude has told me. I just don’t have anything to really use on it currently system-wise. So would a mister hooked up to it look good? It has component, s-video etc.

There are really good scan line filters for MiSTer that approximate the CRT look on a good OLED or LCD. With that said nothing is quite the same as a CRT and games from the 80's/90's are really made with it in mind. For me, the biggest draw to a CRT is the ability to use light guns.

For your TV it is a good model and has component input which is a key requirement for mister, trying to get composite/s-video out of mister kind of sucks. I would check it out for picture quality before picking it up. You don't want to pay $100 to find out your 260LB two-decade TV is just e-waste that you now have to try and get rid of.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

The issue with my 9.7" iPad display was the cable - I guess it has CEC, which really fucks with the DE-10 nano. Running the same cable through an HDMI switch outputted the MiSTer just fine. I ended up digging through a bin full of cables and found a mini HDMI dongle that lets me use any cable without issue.

One other issue I've been experiencing is the display will flicker randomly depending on the core. I'll have to mess with the INI file.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

Yay, the update all -script worked, and now I can play Rondo of Blood on the PC Engine. However! Is there any way to skip that german intro sequence?

Also, now I finally got all the arcade cores working, so now I can play a million different bootleg versions of Donkey Kong.