Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

In non-Nazi news, 2020 just won't stop churning out hurricanes. Iota is probably going to be the 2nd category 4 storm to hit Central America in 2 weeks:

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/2020-11-15-hurricane-iota-forecast-caribbean-central-america

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Midjack posted:

College class.

If you don’t mind me asking, what class? Like seriously even if for a study of modern racism and stuff I’d have issues buying it in any form because it would support the publisher and author...also I can’t imagine the places you’d have to buy it from. I only saw a copy for sale at a gun show once, the one filled with some interesting history and weapons books, then the questionable wherboo stuff, and the how to make firearms full auto section.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I think there is a difference between protective violence (seen here) vs preemptive/proactive violence (Nazi/RW/AssEaters). The latter which often features terrorist attacks. I mean when was the last the time left rolled up on a gather of Nazi’s and aired them out?

I think you can make a valid non-Nazi argument that embracing proactive violence is wrong, but man for protective violence...and maybe this is my inner Philly shinning through...but well gently caress around and find out.

Granted there may be a fair debate about what qualifies as what...but ehh that’s all I got.

rear end Eating is off limits now?

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

then they came for the rear end eaters, and I said nothing

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Milo and POTUS posted:

When it involves a Trump it is.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MazelTovCocktail posted:

If you don’t mind me asking, what class? Like seriously even if for a study of modern racism and stuff I’d have issues buying it in any form because it would support the publisher and author...also I can’t imagine the places you’d have to buy it from. I only saw a copy for sale at a gun show once, the one filled with some interesting history and weapons books, then the questionable wherboo stuff, and the how to make firearms full auto section.

It was 20 years ago and it was on the shelf at Barnes and Noble. Class was on terrorism and I did it as part of an assignment on Oklahoma City.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Midjack posted:

It was 20 years ago and it was on the shelf at Barnes and Noble. Class was on terrorism and I did it as part of an assignment on Oklahoma City.

Fair enough, but eww that version was probably the one published by the National Alliance and the author wasn’t dead yet.

Honestly if I was the Prof I’d just photocopy one and pass it out or give pirated text copies.

I’m not blaming you or anything, just with as much as I hated paying for textbooks...having to pay for that is really infuriating.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Platystemon posted:

Those are mirror neurons.

Everyone has those.

Capacities differ individually - and it seems to be a "use 'em or lose 'em" kind of deal.

quote:

The historian Henry Adams was being metaphorical, not medical, when he described power as “a sort of tumor that ends by killing the victim’s sympathies.” But that’s not far from where Dacher Keltner, a psychology professor at UC Berkeley, ended up after years of lab and field experiments. Subjects under the influence of power, he found in studies spanning two decades, acted as if they had suffered a traumatic brain injury—becoming more impulsive, less risk-aware, and, crucially, less adept at seeing things from other people’s point of view.

Sukhvinder Obhi, a neuroscientist at McMaster University, in Ontario, recently described something similar. Unlike Keltner, who studies behaviors, Obhi studies brains. And when he put the heads of the powerful and the not-so-powerful under a transcranial-magnetic-stimulation machine, he found that power, in fact, impairs a specific neural process, “mirroring,” that may be a cornerstone of empathy. Which gives a neurological basis to what Keltner has termed the “power paradox”: Once we have power, we lose some of the capacities we needed to gain it in the first place.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/07/power-causes-brain-damage/528711/

Kesper North fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Nov 16, 2020

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Fair enough, but eww that version was probably the one published by the National Alliance and the author wasn’t dead yet.

Honestly if I was the Prof I’d just photocopy one and pass it out or give pirated text copies.

I’m not blaming you or anything, just with as much as I hated paying for textbooks...having to pay for that is really infuriating.

I had a warez text file copy but this was the era before smartphones and I wasn’t going to get it done if I had to do all my reading at my computer so in the interests of not loving up 1/5 of my grade I bought it and made a book cover out of a paper bag. I rarely discard books so it’s probably still in my library if I didn’t recycle it.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Midjack posted:

I had a warez text file copy but this was the era before smartphones and I wasn’t going to get it done if I had to do all my reading at my computer so in the interests of not loving up 1/5 of my grade I bought it and made a book cover out of a paper bag. I rarely discard books so it’s probably still in my library if I didn’t recycle it.

I gotcha. I remember those days, funny enough when I did Anti-Piracy work for a textbook pub for a few years in the 2010s; It was still mostly scans for the digital piracy, and a few cracked ebooks, but it was clear what was on the horizon.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Kesper North posted:

Capacities differ individually - and it seems to be a "use 'em or lose 'em" kind of deal.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/07/power-causes-brain-damage/528711/

This is definitely something I've observed in myself as I've moved up the management hierarchy. It used to be really easy for me to understand what my folks were thinking and feeling and now I have to really work at it.

EDIT: In some ways, it's adaptive since it makes it easier to make decisions when all the options suck. Not so great the rest of the time.

wins32767 fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Nov 16, 2020

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

wins32767 posted:

This is definitely something I've observed in myself as I've moved up the management hierarchy. It used to be really easy for me to understand what my folks were thinking and feeling and now I have to really work at it.

EDIT: In some ways, it's adaptive since it makes it easier to make decisions when all the options suck. Not so great the rest of the time.

I bet it gets worse as you age, too :negative:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Pine Cone Jones posted:

In all seriousness, is there a way to rehabilitate people who get into the proud boys and the like. I know that there have been people involved with the kkk, Aryan nations, and the like who have gotten better, but are we at a point where it's not possible to fix the problem? I don't want to hate these people, but I just don't think there is a way to get through to them unless we deplatform, isolate them, and maybe serious cult deprogramming in some cases.
Some people are probably hopeless, but I believe in rehabilitation and a lot of people do leave these groups, and it's often because they get pushed out, or they just get sick of it because they tend to be (surprise) unhealthy social environments for the participants. Not to make this into a pity party, but the Proud Boys are a gang of violent cokeheads. The culture is *internally* as well as externally violent, bullying and abusive and attracts psychos. These men join because they feel powerless in their lives, don't have a whole lot going on for them, or they're afraid the left is going to come and turn them into women, or otherwise treat them like how most people in this society have been treated for ages. That's probably not going to end well for many of the individual members, but the leaders can make some money out of it selling t-shirts and monthly dues, get some decent hookups (for the coke), and they're instrumentally useful for the Trump administration's reheated pizza-roll knockoff version of the real Italian meal, the 1970s-era "strategia della tensione."

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Remora posted:

then they came for the rear end eaters, and I said nothing

it's rude to talk with your mouth full

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

wins32767 posted:

Oh great, so we'll always have sociopaths of various flavors at the helm?

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Defenestrategy posted:

On the negative side, that's been true for the last 10,000 years. On the positive side, we've only had science to investigate it for the past 100 years. So you know, give it another 10,000 years, and maybe we'll have moved past it!

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Defenestrategy posted:

Yeah, but we are in the current era where our sociopaths proudly don't masturbate and that is really funny. Lmao no nut November.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

KirbyKhan posted:

Yeah, but we are in the current era where our sociopaths proudly don't masturbate and that is really funny. Lmao no nut November.

Wait it’s no-nut? I thought it was no-shave....

Why would you want to not nut? Weirdos.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

LingcodKilla posted:

Wait it’s no-nut? I thought it was no-shave....

Why would you want to not nut? Weirdos.

Precious bodily fluids.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

It's the circle of life, they're so misogynistic and/or homophobic to all their partners that eventually even their own hands won't agree to gently caress them.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

So here’s some good news- Mode RNA’s COVID vaccine is reportedly 95% effective in initial tests and doesn’t require extreme cold storage like Pfizer’s. Potentially up to 20 million doses could be manufactured by the end of this year.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Kesper North posted:

Considering how few people with near total power ever decide to give it up, I wonder what was different about ol' Cincinatus when he gave up dictatorial powers over the roman republic to go till his fields and gently caress his slaves.

Same with Washington, to a lesser extent.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

MA-Horus posted:

Considering how few people with near total power ever decide to give it up, I wonder what was different about ol' Cincinatus when he gave up dictatorial powers over the roman republic to go till his fields and gently caress his slaves.

Same with Washington, to a lesser extent.

Probably had a really annoying coworker

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

I'm going to laugh when this guy runs in 2024 entirely on a platform of legal weed and "gently caress Tom Brady" and wins 80% of the national popular vote.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Sacrist65 posted:

I'm going to laugh when this guy runs in 2024 entirely on a platform of legal weed and "gently caress Tom Brady" and wins 80% of the national popular vote.

I mean, any party with those as planks in their platform is at least 60% of the way to getting my vote and I'm nowhere near PA.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Sacrist65 posted:

Dude is def. gonna run (and win) for something in 2022 and I'm all here for it.

Also Sheetz is a Western PA thing which would explain his love of it. I personally love both Sheetz and Wawa, Sheets for fried food, Wawa for the hoagies. I'll be here all week with my food hot takes.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

Handsome Ralph posted:

Also Sheetz is a Western PA thing which would explain his love of it. I personally love both Sheetz and Wawa, Sheets for fried food, Wawa for the hoagies. I'll be here all week with my food hot takes.

Rutters is alright too.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Sheetz ain't just Western PA.

Sheetz>Rutters/Wawa

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
What, do we not care about GetGo anymore?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Get/Go is far inferior except for when they have the general tso chicken sub.

CE Thread:OH/PA Food Opinions ITT

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The 4 am recon flight found 154MPH surface winds in Iota, the 10:00 is en route now but expect this thing to be marked 5 in short order.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Handsome Ralph posted:

WaWa is hella better sandwiches. I don’t think you have to talk to anyone either to order and pay for it.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Is it better to punch a Nazi in the parking lot of a Sheetz or WaWa?

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

shame on an IGA posted:

The 4 am recon flight found 154MPH surface winds in Iota, the 10:00 is en route now but expect this thing to be marked 5 in short order.

It still blows my mind that we can build and operate aircraft that can survive some of mother nature's most raw and concentrated gently caress off and die fury.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Yes

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Equal opportunity.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Soylent Pudding posted:

It still blows my mind that we can build and operate aircraft that can survive some of mother nature's most raw and concentrated gently caress off and die fury.

And that we have a goon that's on some of them and posts pictures from the middle of the bloody things.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Since you can’t be in two places at once in the the right answer is “are you at a sheetz or a wawa?”

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

I always enjoyed WaWa when I was stationed in Norfolk. However, after moving to Texas I saw that glory that was Bucees and boy do I miss that place.

In current events: friendship with FNC over; now friends with OANN

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1328340867262844930?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Kum & Go is the superior convenience store.

Only registered members can see post attachments!