Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Phillips is probably going to be a situational pass rusher at first. The Dolphins have their OLBs drop into coverage occasionally so I'm guessing he's not ready to take that on full time yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Final predictions?

Buffalo
Miami

NE

NY

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

TheBizzness posted:

How can you be a lifelong Jets fan and not fully expect to lose each and every week?

Sincerely,
a fan of Jets south.

The whole sam-hive and rhule dynamic would make this loss a little more annoying. I also don't think the Panthers are any good.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

mcmagic progressive season meltdowns as the Jets flounder are what I live for

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

mcmagic posted:

The whole sam-hive and rhule dynamic would make this loss a little more annoying. I also don't think the Panthers are any good.

I'm with you on the Panthers maybe being kind of bad. I honestly think Wilson today might be a better quarterback than Darnold is.

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

is pepsi ok posted:

Phillips is probably going to be a situational pass rusher at first. The Dolphins have their OLBs drop into coverage occasionally so I'm guessing he's not ready to take that on full time yet.

You mean we run a system where he can't play DE? So we spend a 1st on a "situational pass rusher" who needs to learn how to drop into coverage? Well, at least he's not prone to injury, otherwise it'd look like a dumb move to draft him.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I also think Wilson is better than Darnold right now. I think he’ll be a better QB going forward.

The issue with this game is that the defense and specifically the cornerbacks are going to make Darnold look pretty decent on Sunday. It’s a bottom 3 unit in the NFL and they’re going to have a tough time stopping anyone this year.

e: I think PF said this, but the panthers offensive line is just as garbo as the Jets secondary so this will be interesting at least.

Diva Cupcake fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Sep 7, 2021

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

fsif posted:

I'm with you on the Panthers maybe being kind of bad. I honestly think Wilson today might be a better quarterback than Darnold is.

Wilson right out of the gate could be better.

I also think that half the Jets roster is trash and and they're gonna lose.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Is the Jets Oline not also dog water?

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Oh it looks like marcel Louis Jacques is now the espn fins guy

He’s pretty good

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Diva Cupcake posted:

I also think Wilson is better than Darnold right now. I think he’ll be a better QB going forward.

The issue with this game is that the defense and specifically the cornerbacks are going to make Darnold look pretty decent on Sunday. It’s a bottom 3 unit in the NFL and they’re going to have a tough time stopping anyone this year.

It's a total coinflip game in my mind. The Panthers offensive line outside of Moton is a catastrophe. The Jets cornerbacks are a catastrophe (barring Bryce Hall taking some massive second year leap and *spins wheel* Brandon Echols turning into a solid starter out of the gate). The Jets defensive line should bully the Panthers upfront and generate a ton of interior pressure, but I'm not sure that they will be able to do it quickly enough to make up for how bad the secondary will be. That said, Sam Darnold really sucks and you never know when he will make a game-ruining decision.

Gun to my head? I think the Jets lose like 27-24 or something, but I could really see that going either way especially if Zach Wilson and the offense look good. I'll be slightly annoyed if they lose given the Darnold revenge game factor, but really I'll be happy with whatever result as long as Zach Wilson looks competent (and that will be my take all season too).

Edit: I should also add that if Elijah Moore lives up to the hype, that adds an entirely new element to the Jets offense that could move the needle in the game.

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Sep 7, 2021

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

t a s t e posted:

Final predictions?

Buffalo
Miami

NE

NY

BUF
NE
MIA
NY

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Buffalo
Miami/NewEngland

New Jersey

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

BUF: 12-5

NE: 9-8

MIA: 8-9

NYJ: 7-10 (this is irrational homer optimism, I actually think 5-12/6-11 is more likely)

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Buf

NE

NJ
Miami.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Buf
NE
Miami
NYJ 6-11

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

NE
BUF
MIA/NYJ

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

BUF (11-6)
NE (10-7)
MIA (8-9)
NYJ (6-11)

TheBizzness posted:

Is the Jets Oline not also dog water?

Its not nearly as a bad as the Panthers or the Dolphins for that matter. If Becton and AVT are healthy and good, it's probably a middle of the pack line.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Jets are probably like a 5 win team, which is a big improvement over last years tire fire. They just need to get through the year without killing Wilson and it'll be a success

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

A 5 win team can get lucky and win 9 games like the jets did 2 years ago though depending on a few breaks and good timing of when you play other teams. I don't think there is much of a difference between a 5 win team and a 8-9 win team in the league.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I'm worried about this in reverse for the Dolphins

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
They didn’t trade for Watson so even if they go 6-11 I can live it.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

It does feel like moreso then a lot of years, the pre-season news was like literally nothing but bad news for more teams then usual.

Like outside of Wilson looking good, the Vikings / Jets / Dolphins / Bengals / Ravens / Colts / Texans all seemed to have nothing but bad vibes the last month.

E: How could I forget the loving Jaguars.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Sep 7, 2021

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

TheBizzness posted:

They didn’t trade for Watson so even if they go 6-11 I can live it.

Weak.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
McCorkle
Mac Jones
Big Mac
Michael Jones
Belichick
Buffalo
Miami

NYJ
Tua

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

t a s t e posted:

Oh it looks like marcel Louis Jacques is now the espn fins guy

He’s pretty good

Sucks for us. Not surprised he made the lateral move to live in Miami, though, heh.

RustySeabutter
Nov 11, 2000

Puncho!

Kalli posted:

It does feel like moreso then a lot of years, the pre-season news was like literally nothing but bad news for more teams then usual.

Like outside of Wilson looking good, the Vikings / Jets / Dolphins / Bengals / Ravens / Colts / Texans all seemed to have nothing but bad vibes the last month.

E: How could I forget the loving Jaguars.

Elijah Moore too, but he hasn't been on a game broadcast yet so it's much quieter

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/NYSFmag/status/1435304237915942912

Here is a Jets beat writer blaming Jet fans for the Jets hiring Idzik and Gase.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

:shrug: I know its not entertaining but I'm too old and have watched too much lovely football to do the usual early season mental gymnastics.

I just want to be able to hate watch my team and root against the Patriots and now I can still do both.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

But also, who is the audience for this type of article during W1? Coz is a local beat guy so chances are it’s not aimed at a national audience.

Regardless of how much of a shitshow this organization has been historically, and we’re all acutely aware of that, most fans are reasonably optimistic about Wilson and the young guys developing under Saleh and LaFleur.

It’s such a Manish/late November type of article that should be reserved until after hope has been lost.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

I mean, screw Coz. IIRC, he was the one banging the drum loudest about how "Mike Maccagnan should be given the opportunity to pick his own coach" and all of that horseshit. He's been one of the guys covering the most aggressively for the idiots that have run the franchise into the ground over the past decade.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I don't think much of the Bill's new WR guy

https://twitter.com/JuliannePelusi/status/1435318416722829322

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Professor Funk posted:

I mean, screw Coz. IIRC, he was the one banging the drum loudest about how "Mike Maccagnan should be given the opportunity to pick his own coach" and all of that horseshit. He's been one of the guys covering the most aggressively for the idiots that have run the franchise into the ground over the past decade.
Yeah, if anything, the Jets’ problem has been that they’ve been too patient. I mean, who does this loser think deserved more time and patience?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

Yeah, if anything, the Jets’ problem has been that they’ve been too patient. I mean, who does this loser think deserved more time and patience?

Maccagnan was the primary source for his reporting.

https://twitter.com/BrianCoz/status/1128789779112517632?s=20

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Diva Cupcake posted:

Maccagnan was the primary source for his reporting.

https://twitter.com/BrianCoz/status/1128789779112517632?s=20
The only one that would be funnier would have been Gase.
Mac’s the loser who drafted Christian “AAF wash-out” Hackenburg in the 2nd, right?

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

The only one that would be funnier would have been Gase.
Mac’s the loser who drafted Christian “AAF wash-out” Hackenburg in the 2nd, right?

Hackenburg and Devin Smith were back to back year second rounders out of the NFL within 2 years.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Accident Underwater posted:

Hackenburg and Devin Smith were back to back year second rounders out of the NFL within 2 years.

https://twitter.com/JCaporoso/status/1432828101088714753

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
ardarius stewart could have been good

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Accident Underwater posted:

Devin Smith is still technically bouncing around NFL practice squads. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

tua not a leader of men

https://twitter.com/WingfieldNFL/status/1435622886031728640?s=20