Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Dibujante posted:

Have a link? I couldn't find this on SA forums

I am waiting for Gold Rules the World with bated breath :f5:

Yeah, it was that very one, he didn't do it on SA.

And I am waiting for the patch. Right now there's plenty of stuff broken with CoPara, most of all AIs not integrating vassals, which is a serious problem for our Timurids, as they need to do that to reform their government and tech group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I don't mind waiting for you to get it working well. I mean, I would love it if you had updated with 5 new chapters since last week, but I would rather have it work than it be a poo poo show.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
Don't mind me, just making sure an awesome thread doesn't disappear into the archives. I might be way too early to worry about that, but better safe than sorry, ne?

Also, here's to wishing the Timurids go up in a blaze! As much as they are awesome, I'd rather see a Mega-Finland Russia or something.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Luhood posted:

Don't mind me, just making sure an awesome thread doesn't disappear into the archives. I might be way too early to worry about that, but better safe than sorry, ne?

Also, here's to wishing the Timurids go up in a blaze! As much as they are awesome, I'd rather see a Mega-Finland Russia or something.

:( Hey! If Finland wanted in they should have warred with me ages ago instead of becoming my loyal ally.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

Luhood posted:

I like the way you think.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Edit: Update has been played, who stands victorious? Some people.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

sniper4625 posted:

Edit: Update has been played, who stands victorious? Some people.

What happens when a bunch of cats pounce on an ox treading over their litter box? Stay tuned to find out.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Semi-relevant

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
no blueballing

THE LESBIATHAN
Jan 22, 2011

The name Daria was already taken.
As someone who is in the SUPER SECRET MP CHAT I will now spoil the LP for everyone: there was a big war and someone won.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Icecream Jane posted:

As someone who is in the SUPER SECRET MP CHAT I will now spoil the LP for everyone: there was a big war and someone won.

Scottish Egypt WC

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

PrinceRandom posted:

Scottish Egypt WC

Please, the Desert Scots don't stand a chance against the might of Hellenic Corsica!

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

The Seventh Rule of Business:
Sell it before you tell It.

We still haven’t found your murderer. Bloody knave slipped off with all your notes, and your heart. loving Irish. It was a crime against the family and against humanity. Your travels would’ve made a country bumpkin out of Marco Polo’s.

The Venetians are still laughing about it, greasy burnt pizzas they are.

I miss you bro. The world is a smaller place without you.

I remember how excited you were about that war. Mongols and Rus fighting every kind of Catholic there was. I didn’t follow it real close, but there was always a lot of noise on the docks every time there was a big battle and bishop Lothar never shut up about it. Those fuckface Warendorps say they gots the journal of the Nicaean marshall, but I ain’t believing ‘til I see it.

There we were, the Hansa. Richest Christians this side of Croesus. Not much has changed, really. Not with us, at least.

With the Poles holding the lines against the Mongols, we sort of focused our sights on conta… Conta… lenting the Emperor? Anyways, the Scots had their own Vik von Goon coming up so they were on the team, and now that politics stopped being about who you’re hitting in the sack Gotthard’s Lil’ France figured we might as well be friends.

And they didn’t lose time alright. I was barely back from France, telling me mates about the treaty Wilhelm had signed up when a messenger ship from Calais came in, callin’ us to war.

I was too sodding drunk that day to get back on me ship. Later I heard that some of our boys were ambushed by the Insellafes outta Dogger Bank, but the barmy frogs came through to save us. I met their admiral a year later, Jean-Antoine de Frenchie-French, and blessed his heart, soul, wife and all, even offered him a keg of Bavaria’s finest, but he didn’t speak German so we left it at that. Drank to him all the same.

Winter of 1440 was Lüneburgs’ last and that was when we first elected someone not from the big five. Soltau was a banker on the pockets of the Lüneburgs though, but still, a first and he turned alright for a counter-boy. Saved Meckleburg from the Emperor’s lapdogs like a real boss.

You must have something clever to say about this, why don’t you say something? Can’t you like turn into a holy ghost to tell me or somethin’?

Anyways, war was pretty much won by the next year. Gotthard’s Lil’ France and her allies had sunk the imperial navy before we had a chance to test our big guns and they were busy storming the castles of the Low Countries. We just sat there, making sure trade around the British Isles came to the right place. A little rightful piracy.

The von Babenbergs in Australia were a tad impressed by our performance against the Emperor, so we made some friends down under.

We began to look towards the next war.

Soltau continued to prove himself a decent sort. We was rich already, so why work some poor fellas to their bone for some filthy lucre? Not if it involves killing our own people, I say.

After three years of burning castles, Lil’ France got a little less littler and a little less French.

The Emperor didn’t last too long either, our blockades were hittin’ ‘em stiff and they had lost the years’ harvest, things got so bad that some local preacher got a tad addle-headed and raised up an heretic army to march on Essex to punish the Emperor.

Guy just ran to the negotiation table when he saw the number of peasants marching towards his castle. The Frenchies didn’t give him an inch in the treaty, taking away all of his incontinent subjects and even one of his boots.

I came back home to some really weird bar talk.

Nicaea just set fire to Constantinople to keep the mongols from foraging about. We didn’t really know if they had to be praised for the ingenuity or cursed for burning that holy city, so we just drank until we didn’t care enough to judge.

The French enthusiasm for war didn’t stop. The next year while we prepared the campaign to open the Sound they called us again to fight the Emperor. Our council was up in arms over the absurdity of the proposal and that was the end of that.

We shrugged and off we went. Genoa didn’t, so it was a simple one-on-one between us both.

I was one of the captains for our surprise attack. Took down all of the Scumdinavian trade fleet in one encounter, but they were all too hosed to be of service, it was all sunk or sold for wood later. Engel was a right bastard, alright.

Generals can say what they want, but wars are won at the sea. We baited one of their armies into attacking Jutland and then cut them off from supplies. Bastards didn’t have a chance.

And again.

Their navy saw which way the wind was blowing and tried to bail out to Stockholm.

Not a chance in hell.

Now, despite their losses, the Scums could still field a respectable army and it was our navy that was letting us control where the bleeding would be happening, but the thing is, when you fight in sea you’re gonna drop some blood in the sea, and that gets you sharks. Good thing we weren’t the ones bleeding.

Speaking of sharks, at some point between there and here the Timurids lost at their invasion. Nicaea got some Roman vassals and one or two Ruskies got free. Then the Piasts got a hand on the Bavarian succession and the Timurids felt they would like a word in, and a little revenge.

Poles got so hated that they were Powhated. Whatever in the nine bells that is supposed to mean. An alliance of Imperial Princes jumped right in as well, and that’s what people are calling The Deluge nowadays.

Now, I wasn’t too happy about that decision, even if they said they wanted to save Danzig from that bloody mess. Still think it was a pretty lovely thing to do, considering how hosed up beyond all reason Poland already was. At least I kept my hands clean, just patrolling the Baltic until it made me wish for a boozier winter.

I guess it is old news for you, but the Pope had to move to Ansbach, and he has great hopes for the Hansa restoring his Rome.

I mean, I am not doing much these days, I just try to get the news every time we stop by a port, since parliament hasn’t figured out what it wants out of the Jenes. Most of it is about the Empire, like the world’s smallest civil war.

Or how that little hunch-backed kid-Emperor, Richard III, gives everyone the creeps.

Oh yeah, we’ve been stealing Italian culture right from under the Doge’s nose. They are really pissed off about the whole “exiling the Pope” thing and came to us out of spite for the Venetians.

Wait, what is all that commotion in the manor? Just hold in there, Konrad, I’ll be right back to tell you all about it or… gently caress, just haunt me and watch it, don’t feel like hauling rear end through the garden labyrinth all the back to your mausoleum, it’s not like you have anything better to do, right?

Argh, I miss you bastard. -

--------------

And we're back! Many thanks for your patience. And extra thanks to Ramba Ral (Ukraine), Rogue0071 (Nicaea), Sniper4625 (Poland), Viscardus (Venice), WilliamAnderson (Timurids) and YF-23 (Crimea) for doing the Cats Vs Oxes fight. They should be right back with further details for the war that began modernity!

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Feb 23, 2014

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

The War: Nicaean perspective

The original Catholic strategy was simple: Nicaea would hold Anatolia, while Venice and Poland would combine forces in Central Europe with our allies to hold on that front. The key was to hold Constantinople, the wargoal, and thus prevent Orthodox forces from achieving their objective.

Anatolia

From the start, the Timurid, Crimean, and Ukrainian armies abandoned Anatolia, leaving only the forces of Trebizond, Armenia, and Georgia. Nicaean, Coloneian, and Cilicean troops quickly wiped out their armies in the region and settled in to a protracted siege campaign leading to the capture of all of eastern Anatolia and Georgia by Catholic troops. The effective victory on the Anatolian front opened Nicaean troops to reinforce Catholic positions in Central Europe.

Central Europe

Unexpectedly, Nicaea was able to gain military access through Orthodox Bulgaria which formed a curtain between Nicaea and the war in Europe. Reinforced by Nicaean troops, Catholic forces launched a major attack on Orthodox positions in Moldavia. Featuring more than 80,000 Orthodox and 90,000 Catholic troops, the battle ended in a narrow Catholic victory which forced Orthodox troops to withdraw. Nicaea’s army was reduced from 24,000 to 9,000 men, nearly draining its manpower pool in reinforcements.

The war subsequently settled into a period of maneuver, with Catholic and Orthodox forces avoiding general confrontations and instead picking off small siege detachments from minor armies. Eventually, a series of confrontations near Ruthenia forced Catholic troops to pull back. The Orthodox powers saw their opportunity and launched a southern attack towards Constantinople, intending to capture the city.

Central Front

First Battle of Constantinople

Passing through Bulgaria, the Orthodox powers quickly advanced towards Constantinople. Nicaean troops pulled back into Anatolia except a regiment of mercenaries which scorched the earth in Constantinople, intending to deny the city to Orthodox forces. Orthodox commanders did not notice this development and advanced more than 40,000 troops into Constantinople and 25,000 into Erdine, laying siege to both. The forces in Constantinople suffered horrific losses to attrition as Catholic forces repositioned. Venetian, Polish, and Nicaean armies met up in northern Bulgaria and marched south, destroying half of the Ukranian army which had moved up from Constantinople to Burgas. Catholic forces surrounded the Orthodox armies, leading them to consolidate their troops into Constantinople.

Nicaean troops advanced into Erdine while the Orthodox armies met up in Constantinople. It was then that Orthodox commanders noticed the scorched earth which had inflicted more than 20,000 casualties on the Orthodox troops. The Khan of the Timurids sent a letter which indignantly exclaimed “YOU SCORCHED THE CITY?” Surrounded and suffering >15% attrition in Constantinople, the Orthodox troops were forced to attempt a breakout and attacked Nicaean troops in Erdine. Nicaea was reinforced by Poland and Venice and defeated the Orthodox armies, inflicting a serious defeat on them. Orthodox troops force retreated to the eastern Ukraine as the Catholics regrouped. Overall, the Orthodox troops suffered more than 40,000 casualties while Catholics lost around 10,000.

Diplomatic correspondence

Constantinople front

Central Europe, Part 2

Despite the major victory near Constantinople, Venetian troops were forced to return to Venice when Bulgaria cancelled their military access and left their army in exile. In addition, Nicaean troops had taken the brunt of the losses at Erdine and needed to recruit new mercenary regiments. This left Polish forces isolated and they were forced to hold off the combined forces of all the major Orthodox powers. In addition, many of the minor Catholic allies, such as Austria and Bohemia, left the war in exchange for Timurid money. Orthodox troops consequently won a series of battles in Central Europe and were able to partially recover from the disastrous losses at Constantinople.

Samarkand

The Constantinople engagement coincided with the conclusion of sieges in Georgia. Nicaean troops, with attached allies, launched a bold raid into the heart of the Timurid empire. A force of 7,000 Nicaean and Coloniean troops inflicted more than 10,000 casualties on Timurid regiments that were attempting to rally in Persia, then evaded counterattack by heading deeper into Timurid central Asia as Timurid troops left to prepare for their second grand offensive. Reaching Samarkand, the Nicaean troops defeated an attack from a 15,000 man Perm army and managed to capture the city, putting the Timurid capital in Catholic hands as war exhaustion led to rebellions across Afghanistan.

Nicaean capture of Samarkand

Second Battle of Constantinople

The Orthodox powers, suffering far more than the Catholic powers from war exhaustion, were obligated to make a second effort to end the war with an attack on Constantinople. The outskirts of Constantinople and Erdine were burned again as Orthodox troops approached, and they instead marched to siege Thessalonica and force it out of the war while they waited for the scorched earth to elapse. They forced Thessalonica’s withdrawal, but as their forces were still within its borders when the treaty was signed, they were exiled. Believing that reaching allied Wallachian territory would reset the flag, they instead faced the same problem Venice had earlier encountered – they would need to march all the way back to owned land. The Orthodox armies futilely attempted to siege Constantinople (suffering some attrition from the scorch) before realizing this mistake. With the defeat of the second effort to seize Constantinople, the Timurids sued for peace.

The Treaty

Nicaea acquired Trebizond and Armenia as vassals, while Polotsk was released from vassalage as a sop to Poland. Venice requested, in lieu of direct gains, free hands in central Italy...

Nicaean gains in Anatolia

History's verdict

Rogue0071 fucked around with this message at 01:22 on May 21, 2014

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
Yay! Welcome back!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I missed this LP.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
More Merc-Hanse-lism! This will be glorious!

To bad the Timurids didn't get Constantinople though. That would've been even more so!

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Luhood posted:

More Merc-Hanse-lism! This will be glorious!

To bad the Timurids didn't get Constantinople though. That would've been even more so!

:argh:

You asked for the Timurids to be sent up in a blaze... I sent them up in a blaze of scorched earth. What more can you ask for?

Also, that battle in Moldavia included 175,000 troops. :psyduck:

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Rogue0071 posted:

You asked for the Timurids to be sent up in a blaze... I sent them up in a blaze of scorched earth. What more can you ask for?

Also, that battle in Moldavia included 175,000 troops. :psyduck:

If this list of battles by casualties is anything to go by, it seems like a natural result of being at war with the Timurids. Comparing the numbers, this was possibly the biggest battle in Europe since the Hunnic invasion.

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Feb 23, 2014

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Rogue0071 posted:

I'm sorry, I have a cold. :parrotsketch:

To answer your question though: Monster Finland stretching from the Baltic to the Pacific, that's what! Though that seems to be on the way on Scandinavia's paycheck, so I guess I can't complain to much really. You're on the way there though, just keep up the good work and Finland might yet show the people of the Siberian tundra what's what!

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Had the compatible mod already been posted somewhere?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

PrinceRandom posted:

Had the compatible mod already been posted somewhere?

This post, also in the OP!

Here she is. That is the version used for the MP match-up above, so it is feature-complete except for the things I have deliberately removed due to their spoilery nature.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Glad to see this show is on the road again. I can't wait to see how the rest of the world is going to turn out and what horrors that await in the continent that shall not be named :cthulhu: .

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

ZearothK posted:

Here she is. That is the version used for the MP match-up above, so it is feature-complete except for the things I have deliberately removed due to their spoilery nature.

Question: Is Ireland supposed to have Irish culture? The other Aztec colonies have Aztec culture, so I'm wondering if something different happened with Ireland that I missed/forgot.

Also great to see this LP back. :)

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
Man, Paradox really needs to make Scorched Earth more obvious. Some kind of indicator floating over the province, maybe? This hosed me over last week - also in a war against the player controlling Constantinople, funnily enough.

Great update, anyway. Imperial England is such an odd thing.

Strayed
Mar 3, 2013

PleasingFungus posted:

Man, Paradox really needs to make Scorched Earth more obvious. Some kind of indicator floating over the province, maybe? This hosed me over last week - also in a war against the player controlling Constantinople, funnily enough.

Great update, anyway. Imperial England is such an odd thing.

To be fair, what kind of monster would torch the City of the Worlds Desire just to keep other Christians out? Such a man would go down in history as one of mankind's greatest villains.

That said though the chat log was absolutely hilarious. Good show.:golfclap:

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

I demand a correction: I torched the City of the World's Desire just to keep other Christians out twice.

quote:

Anyway, hella fun. Waiting to see how long it'd take them to realize they were getting 15% attrition in Constantinople was fun too.

They marched in there twice and were there for at least 3 months. :allears:

Rogue0071 fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Feb 23, 2014

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Holding the line and winning the war was my high point.

Being immediately pushed into war with the HRE on one side and the Timuri-blob on the other was the low point.

Anyway, hella fun. Waiting to see how long it'd take them to realize they were getting 15% attrition in Constantinople was fun too.

THE LESBIATHAN
Jan 22, 2011

The name Daria was already taken.

Rogue0071 posted:

Behinds the scenes: Rogue had been talking about doing this exact thing in the MP Skype chat, but I don't think anyone believed him.

Then he did it and it is hilarious.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Should there be cavalry units in the new world maybe? I don't know if Aztecs would have bothered bringing them over from Europe but it would make playing the Sioux even coolier.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

PrinceRandom posted:

Should there be cavalry units in the new world maybe? I don't know if Aztecs would have bothered bringing them over from Europe but it would make playing the Sioux even coolier.

The Sunset Invasion events explicitly mention that the Aztecs imported cavalry to Ixachitlān, and that they used them to great effect during their battles with the Incas. Assuming that's canon, anyway.

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

An excellent return to form :golfclap:

Can't get much better than scorching Constantinople, well played rogue.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Bishop Rodan posted:

The Sunset Invasion events explicitly mention that the Aztecs imported cavalry to Ixachitlān, and that they used them to great effect during their battles with the Incas. Assuming that's canon, anyway.

Besides that, the Dakotas already had horses by the time European settlers reached the Great Plains.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
I really like pulling a group of players in for important events and am willing to volunteer as a player of roles, small to large.

DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012
i'm dumb :downs:

DentedLamp fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Feb 23, 2014

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

DentedLamp posted:

Is the last version of the mod you posted earlier in the thread the actual latest version, or were you using a final build in the update that hasn't been released to the greater collective yet? :(

ZearothK posted:

That link is the version we played the update with.

One thing I forgot to mention in my writeup was that the Catholics almost always had good intel on where the Orthodox troops were going because they kept organizing their forces on the Black Sea coast, and we had a blockade on the entire Black Sea so any troops on the coast were visible.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
So we're suddenly a random MP game now? What gives?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Not really, it is just that I enjoy inviting people for major wars/events to add some extra unpredictability. I am now back on my own, next plan for MP participation will be during the period of the reformation. I must say I was mighty impressed with how stable EU4 MP is compared to... Well, everything else done by Paradox.

Bishop Rodan posted:

Question: Is Ireland supposed to have Irish culture? The other Aztec colonies have Aztec culture, so I'm wondering if something different happened with Ireland that I missed/forgot.

Ireland was an earlier and much more stable conquest for the Aztecs once it was done, compared to Iberia where civil wars were constant. I figured that after 200 years they had allowed the Irish some sort of Home Rule due to the cultural integration (and because the Aztecs didn't take as well to the weather, so no one wanted to go there), while the disparate cultures in Iberia continued to be governed by Nahuatl administrators who did not trust the locals. Mahuitiquez was established in the 1400s, so there wasn't enough time for them to earn the trust of the Aztecs to manage themselves, which is also why half their territory is still sunni.

Dibujante posted:

I really like pulling a group of players in for important events and am willing to volunteer as a player of roles, small to large.

Thanks for the offer, I'll see about notifying the thread next time we throw down the MP gauntlet.

PrinceRandom posted:

That is a good point. Like Rodan said, Sunset Invasion relates cavalry being brought to the New World. It is an oversight that I didn't add them to the New World tech group, since High American Ixachitlani begins with access to horses, should fix that.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Rogue0071 posted:

I demand a correction: I torched the City of the World's Desire just to keep other Christians out twice.

:cripes:

It was a fun war. The plan in that battle (and a more general strategy that never really came to be a continuous thing due to the rest of the war consisting of decidedly smaller battles) was to get in combat, do as much damage as we could and then pull back when the numbers stopped being in our favour since the Orthodox side was essentially primed for a war of attrition on the numbers side. The first 5 or so phases of the battle went really well too.

Also a high point that I don't think anyone captured, at some point AI Cumania won a battle all by itself in Hungary where it was outnumbered by something like 3-to-1. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Bloodly posted:

So we're suddenly a random MP game now? What gives?
Yeah, uh, not that it isn't swell and everything but it does change the tenor of the game a bit.

And explains why it took you so long to start again. Having fun instead of making updates, fwah! /saurus

• Locked thread