Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
:allears: That's fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

art

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
I just finished binging this thread over a few days, and while I know the game's gonna be too much for me to handle, I am absolutely here to watch things proceed :allears:

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Up the road from Mount Tabor, we come across another hunting lodge.

Inside, a man is calmly seated at a dining table.

"Um...hello?"

"It is decided, then. I will be Glooscap."

We lie on the floor in awkward silence. Is this guy nuts?

"They say I turned a man into a cedar tree once. That's a terrible thing to say."

"Glooscap? What kind of a name is that?"

He turns to look at us, his face as expressionless as an owl.

"It is a name that has been here for a very long time. How long has your name been here?"

"Uh...about three hundred years?"

"Ah, you are old, but I am older still."

Oh boy, he is nuts!

If we had 11 or more intelligence, we'd know that Glooscap's name is taken from Wabanaki mythology.

"So...you're dressed like a hunter. Are you a hunter?"

We turn on the charm, hoping he won't flip out or something.

Because we have the pretty trait, we can befriend Glooscap. You can also bring him weed, beer, or cigarettes. If you have the terrifying trait or 14 int, that works too.

"Yes, wonderful! So what are you doing here? What are you trying to accomplish?"

It's been a while since we thought about the big picture. We've just been keeping our head down, going step by step. But we do have a goal.

"I'm trying to become more powerful than whatever's out there."

"You like maple syrup? That was me. Not the syrup, that was the trees, but I figured out how to make it much harder to concentrate it, used to be way too easy. Pretty nice right?"

"I should go."

Leaving Glooscap behind, we find a crate of landmines at an army checkpoint. We stuff a few in the basket of our wheelchair, maybe we can do something with them later.

First things first: We need to do some studying. We memorize the cure light wounds spell, and feel our aura shift as we internalize the discipline of biomancy.

We burn through all of our mana practicing the spell. The effects are mild, but quite a lot better than natural healing. Hopefully with more practice, we can become a better healer.

It's time to deal with these goblins.

One of the little bastards is ready, and starts pelting us with rocks.

The rest are distracted, pulling apart what's left of a US Marine and eating him.

Our laser burns the nearest goblin in half, but the rest are coming quick.

The second goblin to run into the path of the beam is a warrior, wearing scrap armor and wielding a baseball bat.

We've stirred up the hive! We lob a grenade into the middle of them.

:laffo:

The area is showered in gore, but the goblins are in a frenzy and know no fear.

Our laser sweeps across the crowd, but there are too many for us to stay where we are.

We use our shotgun, hoping the pellets will allow us to hit multiple targets, but they're less effective than we'd hoped. Buckshot is better for large targets.

The Glock does work, as always.

With the first wave defeated, we start looking over their gear.

These coverage graphics are new. I like them, but they're too big with our 2x UI scale, so I turn them off in the interface options. God bless them for including that option.

The goblins are using stolen weapons, but they've bolstered them with their own magic. Goblins are poor craftsmen, but their innate affinity for enchantment can make them more dangerous in combat than you'd think. These are nice, but given our situation, melee weapons don't really mean a whole lot to us.

Unless I'm mistaken, +1 adds 10% to the weapon's damage.

We roll past the palisade to check out the inner courtyard. This camp looks unfinished - the goblins raised an outer wall, but they haven't actually put up any structures in the middle. The whole area is strewn with garbage, which is mostly heaped up in two big piles. We find some denarii, but otherwise it's all basically junk.

You can get magic items here, but we got unlucky this time.

The earthen walls are roofed over with stinking thatch that rustles with the movement of unseen rats as we haul ourself up to look around.

The walls are hollow, with more junk and makeshift beds inside.

Well, it's good that we got rid of the goblins, at least. The little man-eaters can be more dangerous than zombies.

We return to find that a small horde has discovered our campsite. They must be picking up our scent.

What a mess!

We've had some practice now, and we're becoming quite a capable healer.

This spell heals 1 damage per level, starting at 5. Even just a few levels (easily gained by reading) make it a whole lot more effective.

We can't keep putting it off. We have to head up the road and check out that other town. We don't really have the skills or equipment to survive all winter out in the woods, and summer's half over already. If we can clear out a chunk of the city, we'll be able to subsist off of looted food until spring.

We pull the solar panel off our wheelchair and place our laser rifle on the mount instead.

Some of these wrecks still have gas. We siphon it into our tank as we go.

We return to the edge of the city and start zapping zombies.

Many are still distracted by this now empty turret, but there are plenty more up the street who seem more interested in us.

At first, it's easy. We weave through the crowds, burning through them with sizzling beams of light.

The laser beams hang in the air for a few seconds, which I've never really understood. They don't hurt you if you pass through them, so it's not a big deal.

The basic axe-wielding ferals have been renamed and upgraded a bit. They now do very hefty damage with their axes, on par with what a player would do. They're high-priority targets now for sure.

We're starting to see new and strange types of zombies.

Setting the evolution rate to slower during worldgen bought us some time, but that time is starting to run out.

Well that's terrifying!

Our battery starts to run low. The alternator charges it slowly, but really we need bigger reserves.

We make one more loop and then head south, back out of town.

We switch to our Glock, then briefly pull out the shotgun when we find a zombie that regenerates too quickly for the pistol. Boy that's satisfying.

9mm continues to be the handiest cartridge around. We find more almost as fast as we can use it!

We also snag some slingshot ammo.

Bearings are better than RPG dice, but dice are better than all the other types of slingshot ammo.

A swarm of roaches boils up out of a nearby house, drawn by the sound of gunfire. Many burst open when they die, releasing swarms of babies.

We have to retreat - the pistol's not great against the roaches and we're getting surrounded.

The babies are really hard to hit, and they don't really feel worth the bother considering everything else that's going on. They mostly just scatter.

We hold the line here, but the hordes seem unending.

Gosh there's a lot of those.

At least it's good practice. We're getting to be sort of a crack shot.

And when all else fails, we can always run them over with our wheelchair.

Things are too hot at this intersection. We decide to head east and see if there's an easier way to get into town.

There is not.

We head back down the highway, setting up the solar panel on our chair and taking a much-needed break.

We have gained enough EXP to level! Please choose one stat to raise:

Strength: 10
Dexterity: 8
Intelligence: 10
Perception: 8

worm girl fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jun 15, 2022

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
edit: all fixed

worm girl fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jun 15, 2022

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Perception

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
INTELLIGENCE!

we are big brain wizard

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I'm going with Perception since she's been doing a LOT of shooting stuff lately. I think thematic level-ups feels good to me.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

I'm going with intelligence, with the headcanon January tried to figure out what the hell Glooscap's rambling is about and stumbling upon his name's origin in the process

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Perception We'll need the help shooting.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
For anyone wondering when Gray's crew is coming back: There is a huge bug with mutagen right now which is causing several problems. I could cheat around it for the narrative's sake but I'd rather not give the impression it's working when it ain't.

Somehow mutagens are letting you mutate out-of-category mutations, so like wolf mutagen is giving people rat tails and stuff. There are also reports that people in some circumstances are unable to cross thresholds. The main developer working on this stuff vanished off the face of the earth a month or two back and nobody's sure when they'll return.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
We have to work Smarter!

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
Intelligence.

If wizarding is happening let’s wizard.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Intelligence!

How does intelligence interact with the magic again? Higher odds of getting spells off successfully, bigger effects, more mana, something like that?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, we need to work Smarter

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
It’s a disappointing zombie apocalypse if there aren’t any brains to eat.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Go for a big brain wiz!

Ess
Mar 20, 2013
Deffo intelligence. To beat this world, we must understand it.

dammitdave
Oct 8, 2021
Definitely voting Intelligence. I assume more powerful spells have a higher Intelligence requirement to learn? I may have missed reading that in previous January updates. If I did, I apologize.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

dammitdave posted:

Definitely voting Intelligence. I assume more powerful spells have a higher Intelligence requirement to learn? I may have missed reading that in previous January updates. If I did, I apologize.

I believe spells will never be impossible to learn, but intelligence does increase your reading speed. As for casting:

official documentation posted:

This is the formula for spell failure chance:

( ( ( ( spell_level - spell_difficulty ) * 2 + intelligence + spellcraft_skill ) - 30 ) / 30 ) ^ 2

Meaning a spell with difficulty 0 cast by a player with 8 intelligence, 0 spellcraft, and level 0 in the spell will have a 53% spell failure chance. On the other hand, a player with 12 intelligence, 6 spellcraft, and level 6 in the same spell will have a 0% spell failure chance.

Spell failure chance is also affected by encumbrance, and intelligence also increases our mana pool. That means that intelligence will always be a good idea. It'll allow us to wear more armor, cast more reliably, and cast more often.

Intelligence also helps us learn skills and proficiencies faster, plus it's our social stat. It's also used in crafting failure rate and a few other places.

worm girl fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jun 16, 2022

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Wizards are smart

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008
was on the fence between PE and INT but uhhh.... ya with that explainer let's go INT

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
Hello! I've had a death in the family and it's sort of turned everything on its head. I'm fine, but I've been putting most of my energy into my work, which has slowed things down over here. Also somebody broke mounted laser guns and mutations are still completely hosed, so I can't really play either save until one issue or the other is fixed. Sorry for the delays!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Thanks for the update, take care of yourself.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, real life stuff always takes priority. Hope things get better for you soon!

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Your life is important, take care of it. But thank you for updating us nonetheless.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

PurpleXVI posted:

Thanks for the update, take care of yourself.

Zore posted:

Yeah, real life stuff always takes priority. Hope things get better for you soon!

Drakenel posted:

Your life is important, take care of it. But thank you for updating us nonetheless.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh no! Please take care of yourself.

I've been trying to work on a drawing of January and I asked an AI to help visualize her.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
Every single one of those is a winner.

Some of the mutation issues and the laser gun thing have been fixed. I have a memorial to go to this weekend, but I think after that I might try to get my head back in the game. Thanks for the patience and the kind words, everyone.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I know for myself trying to get back into the game after a big break is difficult.

The LPs are a delight, and while I’m a bit sad at the hiatus, it can’t be helped if the game was literally broken so.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Underneath he has a velvet, yummy tummy you wish you could just stroke and squish all day! Ahh! But on top... On top it's a whole different story... On top he is a scary stiff stabber!
Take as much time as you need too, worm girl. I'm sorry for your loss and hope you are taking care of yourself.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Take what time you need WG, *looks at all our reg dates* we're not going anywhere.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Donkringel posted:

Take what time you need WG, *looks at all our reg dates* we're not going anywhere.

Reg dates what do you-

...Oh. I feel old.

OneWingedDevil
Aug 27, 2012

Drakenel posted:

Reg dates what do you-

...Oh. I feel old.

Looked at it for the first time in a while. I feel like I should be older by now. :v:

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

OneWingedDevil posted:

Looked at it for the first time in a while. I feel like I should be older by now. :v:

Same. :v:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I lurked for even longer than my regdate.

I'm ooold

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Bunch of sweet, innocent children in this thread.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

i started lurking when i was 12

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe

King Doom posted:

Bunch of sweet, innocent children in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I like this thread, I don't often feel young these days.