Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Potsticker posted:

Can't get streetpasses that way!
Can't get streetpasses where/how I live anyway. v:geno:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Of course you should leave your DS on at all times. Those seconds spent booting up are moments of precious game time!

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

xamphear posted:

The most annoying part is that it's a problem Nintendo solved on the original Game Boy. Then they removed the physical lock AND made the slot spring loaded. Really smart.

Yeah, Nintendo has a bad habit of taking 2 steps forward and 1 step back with handhelds. I'm pretty sure the 3DS is the first handheld they've released where the launch model actually has a backlight.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Random Stranger posted:

How are you guys doing that? I have monster hands and think the original XBox controller is just a little too small to be comfortable and I've never ejected the game I've been playing.

I've never had it happen while playing, and I can't imagine it happens to anyone while they play. The problem is when you close it up and put it in your pocket/bag for those sweet Streetpasses, then when you pull it out of your pocket/bag later, the cartridge is sticking out.

Joshuadel
Sep 2, 2011

Drop in a token, look at a duck
Anyone who has been eager to pick up some GCCX DVDs and swag without paying import fees may want to check out this auction. My wife and I are liquidating to pay for moving costs, and I'd rather this stuff goes to someone who'll appreciate it as much as I have.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Nintendo eShop downloads, no cartridges to accidentally pop out. :smug:

Most infurating for me, being a lefty, is how they keep shifting the stylus storage.

DS Fat - Pulled from the top from the right side. Can be withdrawn with either hand.
DS Slim, DSi, DSi LL/XL - Pulled from the right side of the unit, impossible to remove with your left hand.
3DS - Pulled from the top left side. Can be withdrawn with either hand, probably the best system for lefties.
3DS LL/XL - Return to the right side pull method.

It's like Nintendo really, really hates lefties but needs that 10% bump in launch sales or something, but once they're sitting pretty we're relegated to having to do a weird passoff dance where I remove the stylus with my right hand while holding the DS in my left and then swap them using techniques I learned at the circus.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
I thought it was pretty obvious from Kid Icarus and Metroid Prime Hunters that Nintendo doesn't give a poo poo about lefties. Although as one I completely disagree about stylus placement, the right side placement is far less awkward than them being by the cart.

gunstarheroes
Mar 11, 2013

Joshuadel posted:

Anyone who has been eager to pick up some GCCX DVDs and swag without paying import fees may want to check out this auction. My wife and I are liquidating to pay for moving costs, and I'd rather this stuff goes to someone who'll appreciate it as much as I have.

I wish you had told me on friday, i totally would have done it right then and there after getting paid for the buy it now price. As it stands, maybe tomorrow if someone else here hasn't grabbed it, i'll check it out. I'll likely use the extra Retro Game Master set as a giveaway on the GCCX tumblr.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
I wish I had the money for that GCCX collection. I already have the 2 DS games , but I would love the GCCX in USA and the Retro Game Master DVDs. I would get the RGM DVD, but money is tight now. Hope to by the RGM DVD soon.

MkidTrigun
Jun 16, 2009

Joshuadel posted:

drat, I could've been all over this if I wasn't working earlier. Already had RGC and the RGM DVDs, so I would've lent those out to friends and family.

Probably a good thing I didn't get this. I started Season 5 two days back and since then have been playing Umihara Kawase whenever I get a free chance. Spent about the same as the auction above on a boxed copy of the Super Famicom version and the DS re-release of the SFC/PS1 versions.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Decided to watch the Battletoads episodes because a few people said it was really good and Arino liked the game. One of the first things he does is have trouble with the word "Cable" which justifies to me that Katakana is complete bullshit! I'm learning the language right now and you can say Game Center CX is my exposure to it outside of class. It just makes me feel so much better that I'm not the only one that has problems pronouncing some stuff written in Katakana and a native speaker has trouble with it too.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Zain posted:

Decided to watch the Battletoads episodes because a few people said it was really good and Arino liked the game. One of the first things he does is have trouble with the word "Cable" which justifies to me that Katakana is complete bullshit! I'm learning the language right now and you can say Game Center CX is my exposure to it outside of class. It just makes me feel so much better that I'm not the only one that has problems pronouncing some stuff written in Katakana and a native speaker has trouble with it too.

To be fair (not to make you feel bad or anything), the actual katakana for "cable" is phonetically close (keeburu). Arino was reading English there, which he has proven in the show to have problems with.

I think he's fine with katakana. In Earthbound, the Starman Jr. talks entirely in katakana and Arino had no trouble reading it.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Apr 23, 2013

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Did he pronounce cable as like "ka bu ree" from the English or what

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

Stefan Prodan posted:

Did he pronounce cable as like "ka bu ree" from the English or what

There's a small possibility it was intentional, considering he likes saying "gah-meh oh-beh-rah"(Game Over).

But yeah, his English skills are very poor. In the Super Metroid challenge, he mistook both Wave Beam and Varia Suit as "Wide Beam" and "Varia Salt", respectively.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The whole little bit with the turbo-cable and Abe correcting him on the correct word is really funny altogether.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

In Street Fighter 2 he couldnt pronounce Balrog.

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi
This is from a while back, but I'm really glad they played Mr. Gimmick. After discovering the game from them and watching the informative longplay on Youtube, I now have an immense amount of respect for the game. It is an absolute hidden gem and seriously impressive for the NES. The soundtrack is incredible, in terms of composition and quality from the sound chip they put in. Especially when I'm watching a GCCX episode with some NES game with some 30 second loop of annoying rear end music (Takeshi's Challenge, I'm looking at you), it gets really grating. Gimmick is so refreshing to listen to. It's a bummer the designer Sakai didn't go on to make anything else. :(

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

AF posted:

This is from a while back, but I'm really glad they played Mr. Gimmick. After discovering the game from them and watching the informative longplay on Youtube, I now have an immense amount of respect for the game. It is an absolute hidden gem and seriously impressive for the NES. The soundtrack is incredible, in terms of composition and quality from the sound chip they put in. Especially when I'm watching a GCCX episode with some NES game with some 30 second loop of annoying rear end music (Takeshi's Challenge, I'm looking at you), it gets really grating. Gimmick is so refreshing to listen to. It's a bummer the designer Sakai didn't go on to make anything else. :(
To be fair, when your minute-long credits list you as Director, Producer, Writer, Programmer, Tester, and Graphic Designer, you probably wouldn't ever want to go on to make anything else either.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
The notions of worst person/segment and skipping segments outright is just baffling to me---I've enjoyed all the staff folks and watched all of each release here from start to finish. At this rate, I'd probably even marathon the mega-specials as the show has just been that consistently good to me.

That Gimmick ep was so good, and agreed on what an accomplishment it was for the times especially.

Silly Voodoo
Mar 31, 2011

There will be no clipping!

AF posted:

If you haven't already you should watch a speedrun of it. It's pretty ridiculous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HGCvhygwtU

draks
Apr 29, 2009

here he comes

The White Dragon posted:

To be fair, when your minute-long credits list you as Director, Producer, Writer, Programmer, Tester, and Graphic Designer, you probably wouldn't ever want to go on to make anything else either.

Actually, Sakai DID serve as "Hyper Advisor" (yeah no clue) for Trip World on the Game Boy, which definitely feels Gimmick-inspired at a basic level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAkFq0CKVqc

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I was going to impulse buy Trip World, but it's apparently super rare and the only copies on ebay are going for thousands of dollars.

So, no trip world for me.

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi

Silly Voodoo posted:

If you haven't already you should watch a speedrun of it. It's pretty ridiculous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HGCvhygwtU

What the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. That guy is really god drat good.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
I know I'm pretty late with this, but I just watched the Magical Quest raw after beating the game myself the other day (my brothers and I used to rent it a lot, but we never owned a copy until I finally got one from Amazon). I thought the episode was pretty good, but it's definitely not one of my favorites even though I really like the game.

I'm not surprised that Arino beat it so quickly given that the game gives you unlimited continues, doesn't punish you when you game over since it restarts you at the beginning of the area you game over'd just like if you lost a life, and all that resets is the all important score.

However, I am surprised that Arino seemed to not have much trouble in the level where you get the Bionic Arm grappling hook, but it could've also been edited way down and most of the 5.5 hours was spent on that part alone. I'm also surprised by how awesome and hilarious it is hearing Arino poorly attempt to voice Disney characters, and how silly Kan looks wearing a pair of Mickey ears :v:.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Yea the Magical Quest episode surprised me as well, I thought he would have way more trouble with it considering my own playthrough, but then again I never tried killing the ice skating guy with magic and just jumped on him, which is a lot more effort. Also I never found any of the shops which give you double magic energy for some reason.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Since the first fourteen seasons are almost fully translated, should we start looking into creating torrents for seasons instead of individual episodes? Obviously some episodes cannot be released this way (released on DVD for example) in which case they can either be skipped or a dummy file (.txt) can be placed, explaining why the episode is not included.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

What does Japanese Mickey Mouse sound like?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Mister Chief posted:

What does Japanese Mickey Mouse sound like?

What else? Norio Wakamoto

Edit: real answer, the same!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pA2ts5scIBI

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Ambitious Spider posted:

I was going to impulse buy Trip World, but it's apparently super rare and the only copies on ebay are going for thousands of dollars.

So, no trip world for me.

You can buy it on the 3DS Virtual Console for like $3, if that's an option.

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

"I'm here for you. To make children smile, to make profits rise, I am the subservient of the network.

"... did we get all that on tape?"

Gutcruncher posted:

What else? Norio Wakamoto

I'm not prepared to live in a world where a beloved children's character sounds like Johnny from Guilty Gear.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Mickey's gatling combos are absolutely devastating. Goofy's command grab is still the best, though.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

Katana Gomai posted:

Yea the Magical Quest episode surprised me as well, I thought he would have way more trouble with it considering my own playthrough, but then again I never tried killing the ice skating guy with magic and just jumped on him, which is a lot more effort. Also I never found any of the shops which give you double magic energy for some reason.
When I played MQ, I tried to use the fire hose (which is loving weak on nearly everything except fire enemies, including the level 3 boss) against the ice skater before I realized that I could jump on, and use magic against him. :downs:

Also, after I did my playthrough, I re-watched The Happy Video Game Nerd's review of the Magical Quest series (MQ2 was actually called The Great Circus Mystery for some reason until it got the proper name of Magical Quest 2 on the GBA port/rerelease, and MQ3 never got a US release until Capcom rereleased the games on the GBA). What's kinda funny is that even though I think I had more fun than he did, I actually agree with most of the complaints he gave, including the length of the boss fights.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Obeast posted:

When I played MQ, I tried to use the fire hose (which is loving weak on nearly everything except fire enemies, including the level 3 boss) against the ice skater before I realized that I could jump on, and use magic against him. :downs:
When I was a kid, I did this too, except I used a game genie and had the fire hose with max power and infinite ammo and thought it was literally the only weapon in the game. I beat the whole game using just that and jumping on things. It took a long, long time, and made me wonder if the game was even beatable without cheating.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

You can buy it on the 3DS Virtual Console for like $3, if that's an option.

It is. I didn't know it was on there. Thanks.

edit:though apparently it's not there in NA. bummer.

Ambitious Spider fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Apr 24, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Ambitious Spider posted:

It is. I didn't know it was on there. Thanks.

edit:though apparently it's not there in NA. bummer.

Oh, really? It was one of the first third-party GB titles we got for the VC here in PAL-land, weird.

Honestly, it can't really hang with Gimmick. It looks cool and has nice tunes but it's comparable to the original Kirby's Dream Land in terms of length/difficulty.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
Anyone watch the new GCCX episode #158 Family Trainer Jogging Race yet? Can't wait to see the raw.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

joek0 posted:

Anyone watch the new GCCX episode #158 Family Trainer Jogging Race yet? Can't wait to see the raw.

Since it doesn't start for another 5 minutes, I'm going to say no.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Is there a livestream for it?

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

For some reason, when I convert to JST, I get the time wrong by 1 hour. Can't wait to see what is coming!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

It's an elaborate ruse to find out if any goons are on the production staff, or at least some sort of time lord with nothing better to do than watch a Japanese TV show two hours in advance.