Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Deadite posted:

The Life & Times of Tim is finally available on HBO Max in the US. It only took like 10 years.

Oh man I've been missing this for ages. I really hope it holds up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Dubs: Every anime post-2000.

Subs: ALL live action content. Most pre-2000 anime.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Imagine knowing exactly what year one should transition from subbed to dubbed animes.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

withak posted:

Imagine knowing exactly what year one should transition from subbed to dubbed animes.

Being interested in things and knowledgeable about them: not a good look

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

withak posted:

Personally I feel that anime released after March 11th, 2005 tends to have decent dubs. Anime released before that date NEED to be watched subbed.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Nope, dubs are always bad.

Counterpoint: The US dub of Invasion of Astro Monster (aka Monster Zero).

(Also the Disney-backed Ghibli dubs are generally pretty good, they put a lot of work into effectively translating the material.)

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

withak posted:

Pre-Bebop / post-Bebop

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
We just call that Prebop and Postbop.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Y'all are gonna be so mad when foreign live action films start getting deepfake dubs in like two years

mystes
May 31, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

Y'all are gonna be so mad when foreign live action films start getting deepfake dubs in like two years
How is that different from normal dubs?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It distorts the original performance further

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIfS7FXs-54

Tech is still cooking, but we're nearly there.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

feedmyleg posted:

It distorts the original performance further

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIfS7FXs-54

Tech is still cooking, but we're nearly there.

lmao this sucks

Anyway, sometimes specific performances are worth watching dubbed. Like, in Star Wars Visions, The Twins is worth watching once dubbed because Alison Brie is clearly having a blast playing the studio-trigger-over-the-top villain (NPH is very "whatever" in the same short, though).

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Boxman posted:

lmao this sucks

Anyway, sometimes specific performances are worth watching dubbed. Like, in Star Wars Visions, The Twins is worth watching once dubbed because Alison Brie is clearly having a blast playing the studio-trigger-over-the-top villain (NPH is very "whatever" in the same short, though).

I watched all of Dark dubbed and I ended up being okay with it. I normally watch EVERYTHING subtitled but for some reason started it dubbed and never changed it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

withak posted:

The sub to Dub Step

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

punk rebel ecks posted:

Some masked people are famous Korean stars. It didn't have as much of an impact to us since well we aren't versed in Korean entertainment.

I guess that is fair. I recognized Gong yoo but that was about it....

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Stop enjoying entertainment the wrong way! :argh:

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I refuse to watch LoGH until there is a dub.

I really don't mind watching German, French ot Spanish language tv/movies with subs as I know some of those languages and it helps me to pick up more.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Buttchocks posted:

Stop enjoying entertainment the wrong way! :argh:

People who watch dubbed live action media are demons.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

punk rebel ecks posted:

Dubbed is terrible for everything. You don't get to see the characters excellent performances.

Don't you actually get to see more of the performance since you're watching them instead of reading text?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Non-English language TV and film getting more popular in the anglosphere is a very good thing, but also it means having to sit through dubs vs subs arguments weebs got tired of years ago, so a mixed blessing.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Im fine with dubs in anime (esp if it's something silly and stupid that doesnt deserve the elevation anyway) but nothing pisses me off more than the default dubs Prime assigns to like...King Hu/wuxia/Jackie Chan movies/basically anything Chinese. Like, no original audio track option. Just unwatchable. "Oh this is just some silly kung fu/triad story just dub it up." :argh:

But whenever i watch a movie in subs in a language i understand (and this is just an aside on translation, not "subs v dubs"), i notice oversimplified and removed meanings, flattened detail, omitted poetic flourishes, and just weird arbitrary creative decisions to leave out entire phrases...who makes these calls? I don't even mean stuff that makes sense, like trying to translate some kind of colloquialism. It's bullshit, just try to translate what the people are saying. It feels like way too much power, why are these people empowered with the ability to alter characterizations and plot essentially.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Nope, dubs are always bad.

Cowboy Bebop being the sole exception

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Shageletic posted:

The sub to Dub Step

Sub Step: techno for being dominated to

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

edit: i'm dumb, nevermind

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I don't think I've seen a dubbed live action movie since my teenage Shaw Brothers days. Unless you count ADR'd Italian movies from the 60s and 70s.

That being said, I am a coward who rarely watches subtitled films. BUT only because I usually watch movies stoned and reading is too much work in that state of mind.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Nightbooks on Netflix was ok. Krysten Ritter was delightfully hammy, but the kid actors were not great. The premise really could have lent itself to a mini-series, but this was fine. The story title gag did get a laugh out of me.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

mcmagic posted:

I guess that is fair. I recognized Gong yoo but that was about it....

It reminds me of the "Bear Jew" scene from Inglorious Basterds. It's drummed up (literally) as a big reveal and when the character comes out the audience is like :confuoot: since Eli Roth is hardly an A-List celebrity. It makes much more sense when you realize that the script was made with Adam Sandler in mind to play the role, making the reveal far more impactful.

regulargonzalez posted:

Don't you actually get to see more of the performance since you're watching them instead of reading text?

Reading a subtitle sentence should take less than two seconds.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I like the dubs in Squid Game. Normally a dubs over subs guy myself, but the dub here reminded me of the Oldboy dub in that it was just as hammy and over-the-top as what I imagined the original performances must be like. Still think the sub version of Oldboy is better, but the dub is also a nice piece of art.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Do the V.I.P:s. talk korean in the dub?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

MiddleOne posted:

Do the V.I.P:s. talk korean in the dub?

No the VIP scenes have the same performance between the sub and dub versions

There is a lot of capitalist-critical subtext in the Korean dialogue that’s being lost in the English translation, both in the subs and dub

I think it’s helpful to, at the very least, watch the subbed version so that when the VIPs show up, the fact that they speak English is jarring and brings attention to the fact that they’re westerners. There is a cultural context that America is thought of as the land where all the rich and powerful are, and they exist as an overclass over Korea. American military bases are an ever-present reminder of this.

The fact that one of the VIPs speaks Mandarin is a surprise, and I think the suggestion is that China is turning into a nation of capitalist overlords as well.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
More Korean cultural context/translation stuff list in Squid Game’s translation that I picked up from social media (which I’ve also added to)

in episode 6 when Mihyeon (the desperate woman) is going around begging someone to team up with her, she says in the translation “I’m not a genius but I can work it out.” In Korean she says “I’m actually smart but I just never got a chance to study”… meaning she was smart but couldn’t afford to go to college. College is extremely competitive in Korea which is why many will live with their parents and spend an entire year studying to pass college entrance exams. If she couldn’t “study” that means she couldn’t afford to take a year off to be a full time student. Capitalist opportunity gatekeeping!

In episode 6 when the old man and Giheon talk about playing marbles as kids, the translation for the old man says “You always have a friend you played marbles with, someone you shared with” but in the Korean he says “You always have a friend you played marbles with. There was no ‘mine’ or ‘yours’.” The subtle difference here is that in the Korean dialogue the old man is saying there is no concept of ownership between two friends who play marbles together. Contrasted against Sangwoo screwing over Ali (who, because he’s a Pakistani immigrant laborer being screwed by a financial advisor, brings with them a whole bunch of racial and capitalist-exploitation subtext) it’s an even more clear criticism of capitalist competition

In the translation Sangwoo tells Ali to stop calling him sir and to call him Sangwoo. In the Korean Sangwoo tells Ali to stop calling him boss (sajangnim) and to call him hyung (big brother), which… I think in Korean suggests more intimacy than going by a first name basis. Instead of suggesting equality it says they have a brotherly bond. This carries with it the expectation that the older brother is supposed to take care of the younger brother.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Sep 30, 2021

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

More Korean cultural context/translation stuff list in Squid Game’s translation that I picked up from social media

in episode 6 when Mihyeon (the desperate woman) is going around begging someone to team up with her, she says in the translation “I’m not a genius but I can work it out.” In Korean she says “I’m actually smart but I just never got a chance to study”… meaning she was smart but couldn’t afford to go to college. College is extremely competitive in Korea which is why many will live with their parents and spend an entire year studying to pass college entrance exams. If she couldn’t “study” that means she couldn’t afford to take a year off to be a full time student

In episode 6 when the old man and Giheon talk about playing marbles as kids, the translation for the old man says “You always have a friend you played marbles with, someone you shared with” but in the Korean he says “You always have a friend you played marbles with. There was no ‘mine’ or ‘yours’.” The subtle difference here is that in the Korean dialogue the old man is saying there is no concept of ownership between two friends who play marbles together. Contrasted against Sangwoo screwing over Ali (who, because he’s a Pakistani immigrant laborer being screwed by a financial advisor, brings with them a whole bunch of racial and capitalist-exploitation subtext) it’s an even more clear criticism of capitalist competition

In the translation Sangwoo tells Ali to stop calling him sir and to call him Sangwoo. In the Korean Sangwoo tells Ali to stop calling him boss (sajangnim) and to call him hyung (big brother), which… I think in Korean suggests more intimacy than going by a first name basis. Instead of suggesting equality it says they have a brotherly bond. This carries with it the expectation that the older brother is supposed to take care of the younger brother.

Good poo poo. I'd love to hear more.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
My Korean is terrible so I have to see if other people point out things first on social media, then I can listen to them slowly and add context to them

As an aside, I was genuinely surprised by Ali being in the story. I’ve never seen Korean media deal with racism/exploitation against immigrants before.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
The only other time I've seen it is in the only other k-drama I've watched recently: Itaewon Class, which was also pretty good.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

My Korean is terrible so I have to see if other people point out things first on social media, then I can listen to them slowly and add context to them

As an aside, I was genuinely surprised by Ali being in the story. I’ve never seen Korean media deal with racism/exploitation against immigrants before.

Never been to Korea (outside Seoul airport) but when I was in Japan I'd see South Asians working low wage jobs (McDonald's, 7/11, etc.). I was curious to see things from their perspective of being an immigrant in a Far Eastern nation.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Boxman posted:

lmao this sucks

Yeah the episode is the weakest of the three I've seen but Brie cackling "You think I fear DEATH?" makes it worthwhile.

Animation dubs are basically fine. Live action dubbing always feels a bit off, and I don't think it ever works for films that are trying to feel very naturalistic- like, I can't imagine a good dub of Tokyo Story. But something like a Godzilla movie or your typical wuxia craziness, yeah, that's fine.

Beyond that it's a question of you know, is the dub well written, do the voice actors do a good job, did they mix in the dialogue properly, etc. (I once saw a bit of a luchador film on El Rey where the English dub clearly had no work done to "worldize" it, everyone sounded like you were right next to them in the booth. It was weird.)

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Neither are ideal. I don’t like looking at the bottom of screen constantly as you’re obviously meant to look at the people speaking.

The only solution is to learn all the languages

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

sponges posted:

Neither are ideal. I don’t like looking at the bottom of screen constantly as you’re obviously meant to look at the people speaking.

The only solution is to learn all the languages

Pfft, my eyes can multitask.

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

just watching the second episode of Squid Game and I was genuinely shocked at the direction it took narratively, but as the ep played out it made everything sting 10x harder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Jon Irenicus posted:

just watching the second episode of Squid Game and I was genuinely shocked at the direction it took narratively, but as the ep played out it made everything sting 10x harder

Keep watching.