Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Illessa
Aug 31, 2012

Neverending Nightmares is now coming out at the same time on PC and Ouya. Now can it please get funded? I want to get my creepy Edward Gorey mind-mansion exploration on, and I'd like things to go well for Mike Gilgenbach for a change. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
GoD Factory really is something special. I hope they get funded this time. I've only played the tutorial with a mouse and keyboard so far. Can't wait to try out a real match with my joystick setup.

total agreement
Dec 19, 2011

Illessa posted:

Neverending Nightmares is now coming out at the same time on PC and Ouya. Now can it please get funded? I want to get my creepy Edward Gorey mind-mansion exploration on, and I'd like things to go well for Mike Gilgenbach for a change. :ohdear:

Yeah, I hope someone can give it a lot more exposure. It doesn't look like it will make it. :/

diadem
Sep 20, 2003
eet bugz
this looks interesting but I'm not sure if they are going to make it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The whole binaural beats thing veers slightly into psychobabble and new-age woo-woo.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Actually, Hussie wanted to outsource the actual game-making to a different company, but he never said which one.

diadem
Sep 20, 2003
eet bugz

Tim joins the lines of support from the webcomic community for my game alongside Zach Weinersmith, Pete Abrams, Woody Hearn, Chris Hastings, and their peers!

Wendell
May 11, 2003

You've been here since 2003 and don't know the sort of reaction an announcement like that will get around here?

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
Oh dear.

diadem
Sep 20, 2003
eet bugz

Wendell posted:

You've been here since 2003 and don't know the sort of reaction an announcement like that will get around here?

You've got a point, but the truth of the matter is that Tim is actually a pretty good guy (*though i can't speak of his public persona). Also, seeing how we are all mature adults, I'm hoping if someone has a personal grudge against one of the webcomics in my lineup it won't result in some sort of derail.

diadem fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Sep 19, 2013

Depressing Drawers
Dec 17, 2004
UR ALREADY DED

diadem posted:

You've got a point, but the truth of the matter is that Tim is actually a pretty good guy.

He really isn't.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
The man's back is turned but we know what his face looks like: B^U

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Okay. Third time's the charm.

Tim Buckley (period) producing stuff like... that, and Pete Abrams. I'm... clearly not the target audience here. Oh well.

Best of luck with the project, though! It's always nice to see goons make good. :)

diadem
Sep 20, 2003
eet bugz

Bieeardo posted:

Tim Buckley (period) producing stuff like... that, and Pete Abrams. I'm... clearly not the target audience here. Oh well.

Best of luck with the project, though! It's always nice to see goons make good. :)

The target audience for the game itself is people who enjoy deep tactics games. The webcomics and artists (from hellboy, final fantasy, gundam, zelda, marvel zobmies, m:tg, etc) are there because people don't care about gameplay if we don't have shiny art. The game itself's biggest thing going for it is its gameplay, but without a hook people won't give it enough of a chance to care.

Examples https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTCjnt_PGgw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyBKSjTveZU

Edit: And thanks!

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

diadem posted:

The target audience for the game itself is people who enjoy deep tactics games. The webcomics and artists (from hellboy, final fantasy, gundam, zelda, etc) are there because people don't care about gameplay if we don't have shiny art. The game itself's biggest thing going for it is its gameplay, but without a hook people won't give it enough of a chance to care.

Examples https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTCjnt_PGgw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyBKSjTveZU

Edit: And thanks!

Arguably Tim Buckley's art isn't even that good in my opinion. And this forum pretty much hates him. Good luck with your game friend.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bieeardo posted:

Don't worry, there's an upcoming stretch goal where Buckley doesn't work on the project.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
That's the point. The webcomic artists? They're poo poo. That 'art' sticks out like a turd in a punchbowl. The fact that you're actively courting them doesn't reflect well.

diadem
Sep 20, 2003
eet bugz

PonchAxis posted:

Arguably Tim Buckley's art isn't even that good in my opinion. And this forum pretty much hates him. Good luck with your game friend.

Humm, maybe I should have gone with a Zelda artist instead for my first artist mention on this thread...

Or Marvel cover artists like Arthur Suydam, or Magic The Gathering Artists like Nils Hamm (Mountain, Grave Titan, Thragtusk..), or Merideth's Invader Zim DVD design (that looks like the Zim house), etc

edit: Actual game card art here

diadem fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Sep 19, 2013

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I'm sure people can move past this announcement and heal.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

diadem posted:

The webcomics and artists (from hellboy, final fantasy, gundam, zelda, etc) are there because people don't care about gameplay if we don't have shiny art.

I can understand this, and as someone who's undertaken game development I understand how difficult it can be to get good art for your game. Getting some name-recognized people to provide you art is a great step, and I know it won't have a deciding factor on whether or not I purchase your game.

That being said, I have personal friends who were vendors at Digital Overload and they only have negative things to say about the man, and goons have equally good reasons for not liking him, so expect some resistance to his inclusion. He's a pretty hum-drum artist though. I'd say the same of Weinersmith, while I love his work I don't really appreciate him for his art.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I want to play a webcomic game with art by Jess Fink, Trudy Cooper and Erika Moen.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

diadem posted:

Humm, maybe I should have gone with a Zelda artist instead for my first artist mention on this thread...

Or Marvel artists like Arthur Suydam and Christopher Hastings, or Magic The Gathering Artists like Nils Hamm (Mountain, Grave Titan, Thragtusk..), or Merideth's Invader Zim DVD design (that looks like the Zim house), etc

edit: Actual game card art here

Yes, since that art is awesome and you presumably know "Buckley" is a curse word around here you should have led with that.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo, I never expected to see anyone in the Year of our Lord 2013 on SA to reference Buckley in a positive manner. I just hope he didn't get any money for that. I'd hate for my cash dollars to end up with him.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
There are so many insanely good webcomic artists and you go with Buckley?

Even discounting all the baggage he brings with him, seriously?

diadem
Sep 20, 2003
eet bugz
Here's some "normal" art for the game (the webcomic artists are producing alternate art for their cards. Zach's is pretty drat funny.) We have over 1,000 of these so far.

Note: From a gameplay perspective the mermaids above are actually kind of badass. They hamper the opponent's creaitures' agility to simulate underwater combat. Since creatures with higher agility go first, this allows mermaids to take out some of the more threatening creatures before there is a chance to fight back.

edit: Not replying to anything more about Tim on this thread as to not to derail.

diadem fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Sep 19, 2013

Denim Avenger
Oct 20, 2010

Excelente
Buckley is an absolutely toxic personality, no one has, or should, forgiven him for the miscarriage story arc. I honestly refuse to in anyway give him a pay check on moral grounds. But even if he wasn't so toxic his art is pretty subpar at best, if you can, lose him immediately.

DancingPenguin
Nov 27, 2012

I ish kakadu.
Get rid of him immediately, seriously even Know Your Meme says that goons hate him with a special passion.
I had never heard of him before this thread but honestly that comic is really loving awful.
Why would you defend him and link the update to this forum, when this is as wrong as you can get in terms of his fanbase?

DancingPenguin fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Sep 19, 2013

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

When even a whole bunch of other major webcomic artists, usually fairly supportive of each other, pass around a sketchbook where they each draw their own take on you with hams for hands at a con, you know you're a talentless dick.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah, hiring Tim Buckley will only see you operating at a loss. Mind you, at least you didn't get him involved from the beginning- your game would never have made it past the fetal stages then.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

What's sad is that even though Buckley is a terrible artist and a terrible person and there is all this legitimate criticism against him, diadem is just going to write it all off as "internet people having a dumb internet grudge." I'll be surprised if he responds in a way that isn't defensive.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Not everyone hates Tim Buckley with a fervent, thread chasing passion, some of us are just indifferent.

Sui Generis, the game I backed and was most worried about, has now had 2 updates in under a month. The updates aren't hugely substantial, but it's better than the 3 month gap prior.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Sep 19, 2013

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

BattleMaster posted:

What's sad is that even though Buckley is a terrible artist and a terrible person and there is all this legitimate criticism against him, diadem is just going to write it all off as "internet people having a dumb internet grudge." I'll be surprised if he responds in a way that isn't defensive.

His money, his loss. He's gonna pay someone for poo poo art when he could've got much better for much less from any number of independent artists.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
I'm gonna keep an eye on Kicktraq. You know some people are going to withdraw pledges now. Angry nerds are something else.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Some mysteries are better off remaining mysteries, I guess. :eng99:

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

There are so many insanely good webcomic artists and you go with Buckley?

Even discounting all the baggage he brings with him, seriously?

It could have been worse, he could have picked Scott Kurtz. :v:

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
Should have gone with Aaron Diaz or Tim Siddell.

Or Kate Beaton.

diadem
Sep 20, 2003
eet bugz

Great Rumbler posted:

Should have gone with Aaron Diaz or Tim Siddell.

Or Kate Beaton.

We are pulling favors to get voice actors for the single player tutorial and campaign. We are a small team with very limited funds but are working on favors from connections of past projects. One big name you may recognize from the voice actor department played Leo from TMNT and Dean Venture from the Venture Brothers.

I may be able to reach out to those webcomics through my ConnectiCon contacts (an old project goons helped get off the ground), though I'm not sure if you were being serious about actually getting them, based on the other reactions from using webcomics for alternate art.

diadem fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Sep 19, 2013

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Has he sent pictures of his dick to underaged girls like Buckley did?

A Fancy 400 lbs fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Sep 19, 2013

diadem
Sep 20, 2003
eet bugz

Illessa posted:

I'll be very surprised if it doesn't do well - it's the featured staff pick on the home page under videogames. That's huge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

diadem posted:

We are pulling favors to get voice actors for the single player tutorial and campaign. We are a small team with very limited funds but are working on favors from connections of past projects. One big name you may recognize from the voice actor department played Leo from TMNT and Dean Venture from the Venture Brothers.

I may be able to reach out to those webcomics through my ConnectiCon contacts (an old project goons helped get off the ground), though I'm not sure if you were being serious about actually getting them, based on the other reactions from using webcomics for alternate art.

I don't necessarily blame you personally for this, because it is possible to have missed that Tim Buckley is basically the devil, but holy poo poo you opened up the biggest can of worms ever.

I guess the other flip side is that despite his hated status among webcomic artists and a large portion of sane adults, we do have to remember that CAD is a gigantic webcomic and does have a lot of fans, so it's not crazy that he picked them.