Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Pobama posted:

Ah you are right, although the Ottoman cannons would have looked similar.

I'm not sure what pressure those run at but I'd still like a little more sidewall around a tube that size packed with gunpowder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed
Sure is hilarious to watch people grasping desperately for reasons Jared Diamond is an idiot and Guns, Germs And Steel is a load of crap because it's a popular book. Fond memories of everybody doing the same thing once the filthy masses found Malcolm Gladwell.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Pobama posted:

Guns, Germs, and Steel is an exceptionally good book, and people calling it racist likely have ether not read it, did not understand it, or have some odd preconceived notions that they don't like facts and reality clashing up against.

tehloki posted:

Sure is hilarious to watch people grasping desperately for reasons Jared Diamond is an idiot and Guns, Germs And Steel is a load of crap because it's a popular book. Fond memories of everybody doing the same thing once the filthy masses found Malcolm Gladwell.

The OP of the mesoamerican thread I linked earlier has this to say:

Snickeringshadow posted:

It's one thing to construct an argument and then simplify it for a general audience. It's another thing entirely to simplify your data first and then construct an argument. Jared Diamond's model of cultural evolution is archaic, he makes huge assumptions in building his arguments, and often times the facts he uses to support his arguments are either wrong or taken out of context. His arguments don't survive under close scrutiny, but they sound really persuasive to people with no background in the subject. I could spend pages giving specific examples, but that's a topic for another thread.

But what does he know, he's only an archaeologist who specializes in the region.

I'd love to see some of this discussion go to that thread, or the book thread, or somewhere people can do more than give drive-by's on something. What do you guys think?

edit: This Ask/Tell thread.

Zeitgueist fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 19, 2013

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
The protests in Brazil have produced another iconic innocent-people-being-pepper-sprayed photograph:

Cesar Cedeno
May 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 588 days!

Zeitgueist posted:

The OP of the mesoamerican thread I linked earlier has this to say:

But what does he know, he's only an archaeologist who specializes in the region.

I'd love to see some of this discussion go to that thread, or the book thread, or somewhere people can do more than give drive-by's on something. What do you guys think?

edit: This Ask/Tell thread.

Oh well if forums user Snickeringshadow a "grad student in Anthropology at Colorado State University" shoots down Pulitzer prize winning author and scientist with a PhD from Cambridge, and numerous awards and professional commendations then I guess we all better sit down and take notes.

I'm sorry but while his opinion is certainly valid, I would hardly turn to him over Diamond without some very good reasons.

Criticizing Diamond seems to be in vogue among lesser academics trying to make a name for themselves though.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Pobama posted:

Oh well if forums user Snickeringshadow a "grad student in Anthropology at Colorado State University" shoots down Pulitzer prize winning author and scientist with a PhD from Cambridge, and numerous awards and professional commendations then I guess we all better sit down and take notes.

I'm sorry but while his opinion is certainly valid, I would hardly turn to him over Diamond without some very good reasons.

Criticizing Diamond seems to be in vogue among lesser academics trying to make a name for themselves though.

Again, I'd love to see some actual discussion about why the book is bad that goes beyond "it's an awesome book y'all are haters" drive by opinions in the picture thread. Can I count on you posting your stance in the book thread or the Ask/Tell thread?

Mr. Self Destruct
Jan 1, 2008

lary

tehloki posted:

Gladwell is a 100% certified massive shill piece of poo poo though, and deserves any and all contempt directed at him.

http://shameproject.com/profile/malcolm-gladwell-2/

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Pobama posted:

I'm not trying to insult Diamond here, but there have been some shitheads who've won Pulitzer Prizes.

Walter Duranty

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Pobama posted:

Well, if you count most if not all historians and archaeologists as 'lesser academics' (and I'd certainly listen to such an argument, being a historian myself) then yeah, I guess. The thing to remember about Guns, Germs and Steel is that it's popscience/pophistory. It's shallow as hell, glosses over so many things and oversimplifies the rest, commits about every no-no a historian can commit and is built upon an outdated premise and with outdated research. That's not even touching upon the whole 'determinism' thing. I'd still recommend people give it a read, because it's an area of historiography that doesn't get much attention. But to call it a serious historiographical work? Nah.

Cesar Cedeno
May 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 588 days!

Zeitgueist posted:

Again, I'd love to see some actual discussion about why the book is bad that goes beyond "it's an awesome book y'all are haters" drive by opinions in the picture thread. Can I count on you posting your stance in the book thread or the Ask/Tell thread?

No you can't. I'm not interested in getting involved in a protracted debate on the matter. I read the book. It's hardly the end-all be-all on the matter, but it makes some very good and universal macro scale observations on European dominance. It does not say anything about Europeans being better, superior, or anything else. It basically paints them as lucky, and being at the right places at the right times, also being germ ridden.

I only responded because I regularly follow this thread and have read the book, and people here we're insinuating that Diamond was being unjustly "Eurocentric" and/or racist, which is not the case at all.

An interesting video posted by the grad-student you mentioned on Aztec weapons.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBa1G12KyTM

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

R. Mute posted:

Well, if you count most if not all historians and archaeologists as 'lesser academics' (and I'd certainly listen to such an argument, being a historian myself) then yeah, I guess. The thing to remember about Guns, Germs and Steel is that it's popscience/pophistory. It's shallow as hell, glosses over so many things and oversimplifies the rest, commits about every no-no a historian can commit and is built upon an outdated premise and with outdated research. That's not even touching upon the whole 'determinism' thing. I'd still recommend people give it a read, because it's an area of historiography that doesn't get much attention. But to call it a serious historiographical work? Nah.

I'll second this, as another historian (whoops, I meant lesser academic since I'm about to be critical of Diamond). It's a fun read and helped popularize an area of history that doesn't see much light outside of the academy, but it's absolutely a pop piece and Diamond's non-historical background shows through clearly. That's not to say that trans-disciplinary works necessarily always fail or that we should all stay in our own little corners of the university and never talk to each other, of course. To be honest, and this is going to sound harsher than I mean it to, the book sorta reminded me of Hitler's Willing Executioners when it came out back in the 90s: fairly well written, provocative, and ultimately shown to have been built on a very shoddy foundation.

And seriously Pobama, if you can't see the racism inherent in the posts from a guy who, among other things, claimed the biggest roadblock to erasing racism in the first world was the refusal of African Americans to reject "black culture" then I don't know what to tell you.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope

Badera posted:

I'm not trying to be contrarian for its own sake, but this video seems to be aching to say that the truth is somewhere in the middle. In fact, the correspondent uses that exact phrase over and over ("the people caught in the middle!") I appreciate that the Naxalites may not be actively working for class struggle as the former fighter says, etc, but it simply asserts that fact and then breathlessly tells us about some bad poo poo that they've done, which I have a very hard time comparing to the state's violence because of the scale and resources of the two sides. Anyways, I'll shut up about it now and go check out the Asian politics megathreads.
You can say that the viewpoint is that the truth is in the middle, but in doing so acknowledge that the middle point in that conflict appears not to be no-mans-land but villages inhabited by people who get screwed over by the conflict regardless of whom they sympathize with if anyone. It's not a statement against resistance for being screwed over as monumentally as the state of India has its lower classes, nor a statement that both parties are equally to blame, but a statement of the situation the conflict has bogged down into. Not all uprisings have a happy end.

Altamira

Deleuzionist fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jun 19, 2013

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Pobama posted:

No you can't. I'm not interested in getting involved in a protracted debate on the matter.

Exactly. That was my point.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Pobama posted:

Two Pulitzers, therefore God's gift to satire. :colbert:

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

So Great Britain and the West ended up colonizing the world not because they were the first civilization that was lucky enough be able to, but because whitey is just inherently evil?

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Pobama posted:

You make a good point and have convinced me. I now take James Watson's stance that black people aren't as intelligent as white people, since he is a Nobel prize winning scientist.

"[I am] inherently gloomy about the prospect of Africa [because] all our social policies are based on the fact that their intelligence is the same as ours—whereas all the testing says not really."

Or maybe his PhD and science credentials aren't applicable in this specific situation and we should defer more to experts in the particular field sometimes.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

fermun posted:

Or maybe his PhD and science credentials aren't applicable in this specific situation and we should defer more to experts in the particular field sometimes.

Silly me, I assumed that if we were going to talk about his PhD, it would be in, you know, anthropology/archaeology.

Cesar Cedeno
May 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 588 days!

fermun posted:

You make a good point and have convinced me. I now take James Watson's stance that black people aren't as intelligent as white people, since he is a Nobel prize winning scientist.

Nice strawman there.

You must be awful to talk to in real life, the way you just put entire arguments into peoples mouths and then run with that bullshit to form your own nonsense statement.

I was simply making a comparison, due to the fact one poster tried to shoot down Diamond's work by randomly quoting some goon who happens to be in grad school for a similar subject. Obviously I found this to be a really silly line of argument.

Then you come in, like a prion infected bull in a overcrowded china shop and say whatever dumbshit you just said. Bravo.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Y'all need to chill.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Pobama posted:

Nice strawman there.

You must be awful to talk to in real life, the way you just put entire arguments into peoples mouths and then run with that bullshit to form your own nonsense statement.

I was simply making a comparison, due to the fact one poster tried to shoot down Diamond's work by randomly quoting some goon who happens to be in grad school for a similar subject. Obviously I found this to be a really silly line of argument.

Then you come in, like a prion infected bull in a overcrowded china shop and say whatever dumbshit you just said. Bravo.

Hmm, it's almost as if you want to say your piece but don't want to put any effort into actually defending your claims.

Almost.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
Stop shitposting, thanks in advance.

"Alex", prize German police dog, "smokes cigarettes n' everything." 1923

Look at this doog. Look at him.

Cesar Cedeno
May 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 588 days!

Zeitgueist posted:

Hmm, it's almost as if you want to say your piece but don't want to put any effort into actually defending your claims.

Almost.

I don't have any claims dude. There are dozens of articles and scholarly pieces out there both defending and critiquing Diamonds work. Go read them if you want. I'm not going to bring anything new to the table.

My piece was to state that his work is certainly not racist and to let you know that forums posts by random grad students do not make a very convincing rebuttal of Diamond's works.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Silly grad students, thinking they can question mighty professors.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

quiggy posted:

The world will end in fire, not ice. Sorry Frost.

For the fortunate, it ends in fire. Everything else gets ejecta-driven ice.

18 Character Limit fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jun 19, 2013

anchoress
Dec 24, 2011

by XyloJW
a convenient map of people who should be murdered:

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

I agree. Certain cuts are necessary.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Paula Dean a racist scumbag? Well I never!

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Calm down hun, let me just whip you up a nice Trayvon Martini*. Doesn't that extra stick of butter make it go down smooth?

*full disclosure, not my joke I stole it from twitter

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Paula Dean posted:

“Well what I would really like is a bunch of little n***ers to wear long-sleeve white shirts, black shorts and black bow ties, you know in the Shirley Temple days, they used to tap dance around. Now, that would be a true Southern wedding wouldn’t it? But we can’t do that because the media would be on me about that.”
:stare:

Ruckby
Aug 25, 2009

Zeitgueist posted:

He's a archaeology student. There's a big difference.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
^^^^ Might want to post a pic.

Ruckby posted:

He's a archaeology student. There's a big difference.

Absolutely, but the opinion is hardly uncommon among archaeologists and anthropologists. My point was that people aren't really wanting to discuss this, they're just using the pic thread's format to drop lovely opinions. Which is all well and good, I just wanted to draw attention to it.

Alligator Horse
Mar 23, 2013

Since people clearly aren't actually reading the Mesoamerican Civilizations thread to get some context on Snickeringshadow's post,

quote:

Sure. For his primary evidence that agricultural technologies take longer to spread north-south than east-west, he cites the difference in the spread of crops in the old world vs the new world. He says wheat and barley spread at 0.5 miles/year, an oversimplifying calculation itself, and compares that with maize, which he says spread 0.7 miles/year. The problem is, he picks 3000 BC as the date of maize domestication. As far as I can tell, he just pulled that number out of his rear end. Maize meets the scientific definition of domestication by 8,000 BC, but early maize cobs were only an inch or two long. That's not really feasible for use as a staple crop. Maize actually didn't become useable as an agricultural staple until 800 BC. If you pick that as the start date for maize agriculture, then Maize actually spread through the Americas faster than wheat and barley did through Eurasia. So that whole argument falls to pieces.

I will say this about Jared Diamond, he gets the "germs" part right. His explanation for the difference in the distribution of epidemic diseases is spot on. I just wouldn't trust any of his arguments on anything else.

His take on Diamond is skeptical, not entirely negative, and couched entirely within the academic field in which he finds himself. 'I believe Diamond over [forums poster]' is well and good, but in this instance the person in question is talking about something they are very likely to have more experience with than Diamond himself, so the casual dismissal of his POV is utterly unwarranted.

In other news, food stamp cuts in the House Farm Bill are bullshit. A quick look at SNAP stats:

Even before the bill, SNAP costs were projected to come down since the Recovery Act boost benefits until November 2013, at which time they will return to pre-recession levels. Given that Moody's has found SNAP to generate $1.70 for each $1.00 spent, cuts aimed at this program are truly mind-boggling and can only come from a "gently caress The Poors" perspective.

Cesar Cedeno
May 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 588 days!

Zeitgueist posted:

^^^^ Might want to post a pic.

Absolutely, but the opinion is hardly uncommon among archaeologists and anthropologists. My point was that people aren't really wanting to discuss this, they're just using the pic thread's format to drop lovely opinions. Which is all well and good, I just wanted to draw attention to it.

The only person dropping lovely opinions so far is you. Vaguely using some other goons posts to make some silly point about Diamonds work and then lamenting that people won't follow you to other threads to discuss it, or something. I'm not even sure what you're on about.

Also, holy poo poo, I had no idea Paula Deen was such a shithead. I'm not surprised that she's racist, but that she's so open about it. Holy crap.

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FYTc55nGEI

Dog Jones
Nov 4, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Oh my God shut up. No one cares what dumb book you have a hard on for.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jun 20, 2013

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

James Deen is the only good Deen

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

From the 80s Spitting Image book, a Tory map of the world:

• Locked thread