Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

tho i suppose that wouldnt have been administered to most goons, just age-wise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
BCG!!!!!!!!!!

Succbot Circlejerk
Jan 8, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bedtime for BoJo

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Welp. Husband has had abdominal pain for two days. Yup. Acute appendicitis, confirmed by 🐈 scan at urgent care. Sitting outside in parking lot of ER, because quite rightly no visitors. They'll call me at some point with info about what happens next and when.

This is not a good time to be in the hospital dammit

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

snoo posted:

lmao I miss kissing my wife

gay

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Basic Poster posted:

You are, in no conceivable way, "set".

it's like a year's worth of expenses and i get a grad student stipend on top of it that's not going away unless everything completely collapses to where money itself is worthless, i'm about as set as i can be at this point short of having a shack in the woods with a gun collection. if it comes to that then i'd rather be one of the ones to die sooner anyway

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

snoo posted:

lmao I miss kissing my wife

the cooties tho

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

https://twitter.com/jrhennessy/status/1246701834686717952

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Rip lawman

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

A PARTICULARLY GHOULISH SHITPOSTER FOR NEOLIBERLISM AND THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Welp. Husband has had abdominal pain for two days. Yup. Acute appendicitis, confirmed by 🐈 scan at urgent care. Sitting outside in parking lot of ER, because quite rightly no visitors. They'll call me at some point with info about what happens next and when.

Oof good luck. Honestly though it's probably better now than ~3-4 weeks ago while it was out in the wild but everyone was pretending it wasn't. Hospitals have a much better grasp on how to clean & quarantine this thing as evidenced by you waiting in your car. Hang in there!

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
I'm sure I'm at least an hour late on this extremely old news but wow I think boris johnson's run as prime minister's may be short after all???

https://www.vox.com/2020/4/6/21210187/boris-johnson-icu-coronavirus-prime-minister-hospital

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

the UK, USA and Australia are all vying for title of first anglophone country to completely collapse in 2020

Australia was looking really good at the start of the year with the apocalyptic fires and then the US pulled ahead by being uniquely susceptible to corona because of the debt peonage, forced work, general idiocy and number fetishism but the UK coming on strong with the dead prime minister

gonna be close

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mirthless posted:

I'm sure I'm at least an hour late on this extremely old news but wow I think boris johnson's run as prime minister's may be short after all???

https://www.vox.com/2020/4/6/21210187/boris-johnson-icu-coronavirus-prime-minister-hospital

I hope that to him, it feels like a lifetime.

TowerofOil
May 22, 2007

You don't need a doctor, I'm a christian scientist.

Bread Liar
Look we all miss kissing that guys wife, it's great, but let's get back to what matters. bojo is losing the big one to the roni

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

:ohdear: hoping for the best, friendo

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Over Easy posted:

the UK, USA and Australia are all vying for title of first anglophone country to completely collapse in 2020

Australia was looking really good at the start of the year with the apocalyptic fires and then the US pulled ahead by being uniquely susceptible to corona because of the debt peonage, forced work, general idiocy and number fetishism but the UK coming on strong with the dead prime minister

gonna be close

Australia is handling roni quite well but fire season starts in June

BrokenGameboy
Jan 25, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
Jokes aside, what actually happens in the uk when the prime Minister dies?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
The Sec Navy decided he hadn't beclowned himself enough in all of this

https://twitter.com/JackDetsch/status/1247309437955604482

Also, double lol because Teddy Roosevelt did this exact loving thing during the Spanish-American War

https://www.usni.org/magazines/proceedings/2020/april/uss-theodore-roosevelt-commanding-officer-followed-example-colonel

quote:

In an interesting twist of history, the aircraft carrier’s namesake was involved in a similar situation. During the summer of 1898, Colonel Theodore Roosevelt, U.S. Army, was leading the famed “Rough Riders” in Cuba. The Rough Riders were part of the Army’s Fifth Corps garrisoned near Santiago de Cuba. At the time, more than 4,000 of the Fifth Corps’ 4,270 soldiers were sick with malaria and yellow fever. Many were on the verge of dying. The eight divisional commanders, including Roosevelt, were convinced that if they remained in Cuba Fifth Corps would be wiped out.

The divisional commanders met with Major General William R. Shafter, Fifth Corps Commander, and requested that Fifth Corps immediately redeploy to the United States. While it is unclear how Shafter responded to the request, he was certainly aware that President McKinley wanted to maintain a military presence in Cuba until the United States was able to finish peace negotiations with Spain. Whatever his reaction, the divisional commanders left the meeting compelled to put their request in writing.

The writing allegedly fell to Colonel Roosevelt, as he was the lowest ranking officer among them and the only volunteer, which meant he had the least to lose, career-wise, in the event the chain of command was to react negatively to the letter. As documented in Roosevelt’s book The Rough Riders, published in 1899, the letter, known as the Round-Robin letter and signed by all of them, reads as follows:

quote:

MAJOR-GENERAL SHAFTER. SIR: In a meeting of the general and medical officers called by you at the Palace this morning we were all, as you know, unanimous in our views of what should be done with the army. To keep us here, in the opinion of every officer commanding a division or a brigade, will simply involve the destruction of thousands. There is no possible reason for not shipping practically the entire command North at once. Yellow-fever cases are very few in the cavalry division, where I command one of the two brigades, and not one true case of yellow fever has occurred in this division, except among the men sent to the hospital at Siboney, where they have, I believe, contracted it. But in this division there have been 1,500 cases of malarial fever. Hardly a man has yet died from it, but the whole command is so weakened and shattered as to be ripe for dying like rotten sheep, when a real yellow-fever epidemic instead of a fake epidemic, like the present one, strikes us, as it is bound to do if we stay here at the height of the sickness season, August and the beginning of September. Quarantine against malarial fever is much like quarantining against the toothache. All of us are certain that as soon as the authorities at Washington fully appreciate the condition of the army, we shall be sent home. If we are kept here it will in all human possibility mean an appalling disaster, for the surgeons here estimate that over half the army, if kept here during the sickly season, will die. This is not only terrible from the stand-point of the individual lives lost, but it means ruin from the stand-point of military efficiency of the flower of the American army, for the great bulk of the regulars are here with you. The sick list, large though it is, exceeding four thousand, affords but a faint index of the debilitation of the army. Not twenty per cent. are fit for active work. Six weeks on the North Maine coast, for instance, or elsewhere where the yellow-fever germ cannot possibly propagate, would make us all as fit as fighting-cocks, as able as we are eager to take a leading part in the great campaign against Havana in the fall, even if we are not allowed to try Porto Rico. We can be moved North, if moved at once, with absolute safety to the country, although, of course, it would have been infinitely better if we had been moved North or to Porto Rico two weeks ago. If there were any object in keeping us here, we would face yellow fever with as much indifference as we faced bullets. But there is no object. The four immune regiments ordered here are sufficient to garrison the city and surrounding towns, and there is absolutely nothing for us to do here, and there has not been since the city surrendered. It is impossible to move into the interior. Every shifting of camp doubles the sick-rate in our present weakened condition, and, anyhow, the interior is rather worse than the coast, as I have found by actual reconnoissance. Our present camps are as healthy as any camps at this end of the island can be. I write only because I cannot see our men, who have fought so bravely and who have endured extreme hardship and danger so uncomplainingly, go to destruction without striving so far as lies in me to avert a doom as fearful as it is unnecessary and undeserved. Yours respectfully,THEODORE ROOSEVELT, Colonel Commanding Second Cavalry Brigade.

Roosevelt delivered the letter to Shafter, but, presumably not convinced the corps commander would act on it in a timely fashion, also allegedly handed a copy of it to the Associated Press correspondent who was covering the Cuba beat. That correspondent quickly cabled the letter to AP headquarters and it published nationwide the same day.

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

triple sulk posted:

god yes

streetwear is the real winner here

i’ve been making my trips to the grocery store in my apocalyptic runner getup and it’s pretty aces

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Boris Johnson tried to cheat God by prolonging his term as prime minister instead of being a historical failure. You can't cheat God. He's being final destinationed now

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

new kind of cat posted:

i’ve been making my trips to the grocery store in my apocalyptic runner getup and it’s pretty aces

The only challenge I've found is dodging razor shape boomerangs thrown by feral kids.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Judakel posted:

Rip lawman

Indeed :rip:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

BrokenGameboy posted:

Jokes aside, what actually happens in the uk when the prime Minister dies?

queen rules directly again

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Bert Roberge posted:

Here's a few other things people have claimed that BCG vaccine cures over the years, and it pops up every couple years with people claiming it cures or prevents something different.

Crohn's disease.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/373425

Alzheimer's

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0224433

Multiple schlerosis

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-25207033

Type 1 diabetes

https://www.statnews.com/2018/06/21/type-1-diabetes-vaccine-denise-faustman/
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41541-018-0062-8

Lung cancer

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2751896

It makes a malaria virus reaction worse

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-019-08659-3

It's a really big hit in the fibromyalgia crowd too.

yeah good job finding peer-reviewed studies which say the opposite of your point

there have been numerous studies demonstrating its efficacy against bladder cancer, and it is now used to often as treatment for that disease that it's caused a global BCG shortage

https://twitter.com/megtirrell/status/1199698385646866433?s=20

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

etalian posted:

The only challenge I've found is dodging razor shape boomerangs thrown by feral kids.

have you considered not kidnapping princess zelda so much

BrokenGameboy
Jan 25, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

euphronius posted:

queen rules directly again

What a perfect time to follow the example of Robespierre.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

BrokenGameboy posted:

What a perfect time to follow the example of Robespierre.

... kill Danton ??

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

eric ciaramella posted:

can anyone recommend some anime about society being destroyed by a virus. kind of niche, dont know if it's been done before.

Try this new anime called, "Trump"

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

shut up

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

jesus christ i just got the dumbest forwarded email about the cHiNeSe ViRuS from my grandmother

should i post or spare you all

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

So I'm no doctor, but couldn't you just put the person on a heart lung machine and then just power wash the lungs out with saline solution? bing boom the coronas gone

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Inceltown posted:

I miss kissing her too

OOOOOHHHHHHH WHY I OUGHTA

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

Funion posted:

jesus christ i just got the dumbest forwarded email about the cHiNeSe ViRuS from my grandmother

post it.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

https://twitter.com/isabella_shey/status/1246909141546917893

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

my sinuses hurt??

BrokenGameboy
Jan 25, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

Funion posted:

You can't just roll in here with that and not post it.

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012

Funion posted:

you know you gotta post that poo poo

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

twoday posted:

yeah good job finding peer-reviewed studies which say the opposite of your point

Guess how many got out of phase 1 trials?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

stop watching anime shows

go gently caress yourself