Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Tars Tarkas posted:

Transformers new "crap out a bunch of movies" formula (is that really new???) will now also be applied to GI Joe and Micronauts.

https://deadline.com/2015/11/transformers-g-i-joe-micronauts-akiva-goldsman-paramount-hasbro-1201632388/

Apparently, Hasbro will also weave Micronauts into the Transformers franchise. I don't know is this will affect the planned movie.
http://news.tfw2005.com/2015/11/16/tfw2005-coverage-of-hasbro-investor-day-2015-305388

Here's a chart from Hasbro showing how the movies have affected toy sales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Last time Riddick came up, someone brought up the very good point that what makes him work in Pitch Black and fail in the rest of the movies is that yeah, he's fast and strong, but that's not why he's dangerous, because he's still just a human and can get outfought by another human - what makes him scary in Pitch Black is that he's smart, he can pick up details everywhere and use them to his advantage without anyone else ever cottoning on. He doesn't beat the bounty hunter in a straight fight, and in fact gets his rear end kicked in every fight he's in, he wins because he knows how to use situations to his advantage, like breaking all of the lights and making the bounty hunter bleed to lure the monsters to him.

In the other two Riddick movies he's just this ungodly asskicker who can outfight anything and its not nearly as fun.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Chronicles and Riddick are shockingly cheap-looking movies. Pitch Black looks better than either of them despite having the lowest budget and oldest CGI. I rarely have complaints about bad visuals in a movie because it's not usually an interesting thing to comment on, but these two movies are exceptions. Their awful effects are distracting.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I thought the design work on Chronicles of Riddick was pretty outstanding. The weird, baroque-by-way-of-H. R. Giger aesthetic of the Necromongers was so much fun.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Phylodox posted:

I thought the design work on Chronicles of Riddick was pretty outstanding. The weird, baroque-by-way-of-H. R. Giger aesthetic of the Necromongers was so much fun.

I think most people are upset at Chronicles Of Riddick and the Necromongers adding this almost Warhammer 40K science fantasy element to what appeared to be a hard sci-fi "used universe" in Pitch Black.

That and the whole Furian thing.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Phylodox posted:

It was.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I liked the directors cut of Chronicles.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phylodox posted:

Easily the best thing about that movie.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Easily the best thing about that movie.

No, the best thing about the movie is:

"I'll take a piece of him."

"Then a piece you'll have!"

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Sleeveless posted:

In the continuing trend of feature-length infomercials dressed up as documentaries, A Billion Lives is a "documentary" about how e-cigarettes are totally rad and big government needs to quit being a bummer and trying to regulate it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSq9iqal2cA

I call it ideology.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dNbWGaaxWM&t=190s

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Young Freud posted:

I think most people are upset at Chronicles Of Riddick and the Necromongers adding this almost Warhammer 40K science fantasy element to what appeared to be a hard sci-fi "used universe" in Pitch Black.

That and the whole Furian thing.

Main antagonist thing of sliding around was pretty rad too.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Zizek is cool in small doses but he needs to take it easier on the coke

bullet3
Nov 8, 2011
The biggest problem with the Riddick sequels is no Radha Mitchell, easily the best part of the 1st one.

That and, as has been said, totally misjudging what makes Riddick cool is that he's just a guy who happens to be good at loving with people, not some chosen-one prophecy superhero.

It'd be like if the sequel to Alien revealed that Ripley had super-powers and was prophesized to take down the xenomorphs. So baffling.

That being said, part 3's not bad, outside of some obvious budget limitations and a pretty lovely ending.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The best part of Riddick is that Riddick notices that the movie's starting to just rehash Pitch Black and he tells everyone the ending based on that, only to be surprised when that doesn't happen.

The second best part is when he's on the space chopper and does a barrel roll and the camera holds still in front of him, so you just see Vin Diesel's head orbit the screen.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Y'all should see Riddick: Dark Fury if you haven't already. It's something special.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I'm a fan of macho overcompensation.

That and F&F are basically Diesel positioning himself as the most macho of men, who is honestly and totally really interested in women.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

The first part of Riddick when it's just him trying to survive on the planet with his trusty space dog is pretty fun.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I kind of feel bad because for Chronicles, Vin wanted Rhiana Griffith to continue her role from Pitch Black, but the studio mandated "No! Get someone hotter!"

At least she got to be in Dark Fury.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Davros1 posted:

I kind of feel bad because for Chronicles, Vin wanted Rhiana Griffith to continue her role from Pitch Black, but the studio mandated "No! Get someone hotter!"

Well you can't let a she-beast like this into your movie!

:rolleyes:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
6/10 would only bang a couple times.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Fantastic Four 2's release date has gone all Invisible Woman, in that it has mysteriously disappeared.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/schedule/?view=changes&p=.htm

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Noooo

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Tars Tarkas posted:

Fantastic Four 2's release date has gone all Invisible Woman, in that it has mysteriously disappeared.

I am shocked, SHOCKED, by this turn of events.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Tars Tarkas posted:

Well ain't that a thing.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I know the chat about Baywatch was like three pages ago but I really wanted to make sure everyone knew about this episode of Baywatch where the A-Plot is Hulk Hogan wrestling Rick Flair to save a beachside gym and the B-plot is one of the baywatch lifeguards finding out she has skin cancer.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

TetsuoTW posted:

Well ain't that a thing.

Not anymore.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I was reading an article about how Universal funded Angelina Jolie's latest fiasco because they wanted her to star in either The Bride of Frankenstein remake or Wanted 2. The article did not mention how exactly she could star in Wanted 2 seeing as her character killed herself at the end of the first movie.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Twins and clones obviously.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Also, because who the gently caress remembers Wanted?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
"Hey Angelina, how'd you survive shooting yourself in the head in the last movie?"

"It wasn't easy!"

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
I liked Salt, she should make a sequel to that.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Slate Action posted:

Salt II: Pepper

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
i think "salt" was the movie about people who play fighting games

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Slate Action posted:

Salt is an interesting movie because it originally started as a vehicle for Tom Cruise, he passed on it so they just flipped the gender for the main character and love interest and left everything else the same.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

muscles like this? posted:

I was reading an article about how Universal funded Angelina Jolie's latest fiasco because they wanted her to star in either The Bride of Frankenstein remake or Wanted 2. The article did not mention how exactly she could star in Wanted 2 seeing as her character killed herself at the end of the first movie.

I would watch a remake of the Bride of Frankenstein, and I'm honestly surprised they haven't done one before given it doesn't really need a Frankestein movie at this point to be made

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah can't wait for the Bride to run around in big CGI action sequences shooting people and monologuing. That's the true spirit of the character!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Apparently her new movie with her husband is poo poo, big surprise. Now maybe they can get a divorce and she can go away forever.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I'm not sure what the one has to do with the other

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I hope her and her husband are happy :twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Casimir Radon posted:

Apparently her new movie with her husband is poo poo, big surprise. Now maybe they can get a divorce and she can go away forever.

Jennifer Aniston account spotted

• Locked thread