Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I think the real turning point was the McGuire/Sosa home run duel. They got so much publicity via major news networks that they inflated, then the steroid revelations hit and they did a complete sanctimonious 180. After that they really thought they were making the headlines instead of acting as a conduit for them, and all their coverage took a poo poo as a result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

ESPN is totes at fault for the lack of tobacco bucks nowadays too

to hell with you ESPN

E: vv They were much, much worse the previous year blowing USC as much as they did

hunnert car pileup fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jul 14, 2015

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

I think the real turning point was the McGuire/Sosa home run duel. They got so much publicity via major news networks that they inflated, then the steroid revelations hit and they did a complete sanctimonious 180. After that they really thought they were making the headlines instead of acting as a conduit for them, and all their coverage took a poo poo as a result.

Completely unrelated but related to the topic at hand.

It's pretty amazing how they're able to a 180 shift on things. I recall prior to the 2006 National Title game pretty much everyone in the world was acting like Ohio State had it in the bag, including one Mark May.

I woke up the day after to find pretty much everyone on the network with new talking points about how the SEC was superior and all of this other stuff. Leading the charge? Mark May.

It's really bizarre how they work in that regard.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Fauxhawk Express posted:

E: vv They were much, much worse the previous year blowing USC as much as they did

IS SOUTHERN CAL THE GREATEST TEAM EVER? FIND OUT AS WE SPEND THE NEXT 2 WEEKS DISCUSSING IT PRIOR TO WATCHING THEM GET MANHANDLED BY VINCE YOUNG!

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

go3 posted:

IS SOUTHERN CAL THE GREATEST TEAM EVER? FIND OUT AS WE SPEND THE NEXT 2 WEEKS DISCUSSING IT PRIOR TO WATCHING THEM GET MANHANDLED BY VINCE YOUNG!

Weren't they doing a "GREATEST TEAM EVER" tourney with them where all the color guys were debating USC's rank in history?

I swear this happened, and I swear there's video of it on the internet.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Hi I'm Stephen A. Smith and I'm here to tell you why Stephon Marbury is the greatest player in NBA history

If you disagree you're racist

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Sources are reporting that LeBron James has, in fact, gone to the bathroom. It is unclear as to whether or not he washed his hands, as his hands were dry leaving the restroom. EMBRACE DEBATE.

...on a more serious note, the motorsports showdown between NBC and FOX is interesting to watch:
-FOX- NASCAR (Cup, Xfinity, all Trucks), ARCA, Tudor (& its sub-series), NHRA, Superbikes, Motocross
-NBC- NASCAR (Cup, Xfinity, K&N E/W, Mods), IndyCar (Indy Lights), F1 (do they still have SST?)

CBSSN has its fair share of racing, too, with BTCC, V8 Supercars, some Lucas Oil and WoO, Bikes, ARCA, DTM, etc.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Official announcement of NHRA / Fox Sports deal.

http://www.nhra.com/story/2015/7/14/nhra-fox-sports/

Friday / Saturday qualifying shows, 16 live elimination events with the other 6 tape delayed shows getting afternoon / prime time slots. 4 of the races will be on the main Fox channel, with the others all on FS1.

This is a gigantic deal for the NHRA. Pretty kickass they pulled it off.

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jul 14, 2015

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
4 network races? Jesus Christ, it's been since Wide World of Sports since that happened, that's amazing.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

VikingSkull posted:

4 network races? Jesus Christ, it's been since Wide World of Sports since that happened, that's amazing.

While the wording in the press release is a bit confusing on it, from twitter it sounds like there will be two qualifying shows, friday and saturday. This is great because the Friday show is where all the super fast poo poo happens.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Good for the NHRA. I've never really been a fan of drag racing but have felt for everybody involved who's had to deal with tape-delayed shows which run at 3AM while the College Softball World Series and whatever other random horseshit airs live. I get that it's a niche sport, but it's seemingly been a long-suffering third-class citizen on The Worldwide Leader.

How many NHRA events are/have in the last few years been shown live on any ESPN network?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
The thing is it's not a niche sport, drag racing is probably the most popular form of auto racing in the US by a long shot, to the point that auto manufacturers have included virtual timing lights and launch control into production vehicles.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

VikingSkull posted:

The thing is it's not a niche sport, drag racing is probably the most popular form of auto racing in the US by a long shot, to the point that auto manufacturers have included virtual timing lights and launch control into production vehicles.

I don't disagree. To the automotive world and fans, it may not be niche. The problem was, to ESPN, who stuck it on at 3am in deference to repeated SportsCenters, it was.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
Has anyone ever gotten one of the cabanas at Lime Rock? I just nabbed one on the infield hillside for the IMSA race on the 25th and I'm wondering if it was a dumb move. Some of the pictures make it look like the sight line to the track is through a sea of umbrellas...

I don't think there are refunds and I guess it'll be nice to have some shade and chairs and a cooler full of ice without lugging poo poo around with 2 kids, but I'll be pissed if it's obstructed view.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

VikingSkull posted:

This is both the best and worst thing that NHRA has to deal with. Yes, drag racing is pretty much ingrained into american car culture (i.e. quarter mile time is one of the first questions asked in regards to performance) which is great, but also negative since they in effect have this "in" with people yet still draw nothing close to NASCAR. Still though, the TV deal is pretty much the best thing that could ever happen give the current issues they have been facing. I would assume just one of those Fox national telecasts will outdraw many of the ESPN 2 ones combined. They are saying that the programming will be like 450 hours, versus the current estimation of around 150 on ESPN. That's nuts. This has to bode extremely well for prospective sponsors.

I'm curious what the "taking in house" tv production will be like. The biggest obstacle will always be how big their disparity is between live in person vs. tv. I was never hooked until seeing it live. You just really can't appreciate it until then.

Also, more pro-mod.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
NASCAR has virtually nothing in common with the cars you and I drive. For NHRA and pro-drag racing in general, this problem is amplified about 1 trillion times.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

go3 posted:

NASCAR has virtually nothing in common with the cars you and I drive. For NHRA and pro-drag racing in general, this problem is amplified about 1 trillion times.

That's only because they only televise the nitro poo poo.

Go to an NHRA event and it's wall to wall street cars, hundreds and hundreds of them. Super Stock is all Camaros, Mustangs and Challengers.

Make a 10.5 class the entry level TV bracket. Wheelstands are awesome. poo poo, sign an agreement with Hot Rod, televise Drag Week.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

VikingSkull posted:

That's only because they only televise the nitro poo poo.

That's because nitro is basically the only thing worth watching. Drag racing loses an absolute fuckton in translation to the idiot box - it's about as interesting as reruns of Leave It to Beaver, even 10.5 is boring as batshit. Live, well that's much different! And much like rallying, half the interest isnt just watching, it's wandering around the pits and mingling with the racers and teams. - drag racing is wonderfully open like that.

Hell, TV doesnt even get CLOSE to the experience of seeing / feeling Nitro cars. And I say feeling as the real attraction of Nitro cars is the physical assault on spectators they do with the power of their noise and nitro fumes. Being near the start line as a Top Fueller blasts off is something every race fan of any series needs to do.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I agree, believe me I've championed that here a ton. But, in a world of chopped down race lengths and factory cars in the 10's stock, I think there's room to build a new narrative in the world of drag racing. You could capture the American public with modified street cars in the 8's like Super Stock, or street driven super cars pushing 5's like Drag Week.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

i.e. quarter mile time is one of the first questions asked in regards to performance

Which makes it even funnier they ditched the Quarter Mile for the Thousand Feet.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Peanut President posted:

Which makes it even funnier they ditched the Quarter Mile for the Thousand Feet.

In the nitro categories, yes, all other classes are still a quarter. If the fuel cars were still running quarter mile what kind of speeds are estimated? They'd have to be getting around 400 mph :getin:

edit - Just saw this story come out which is pretty interesting pertaining to pro-stock. http://www.dragracingonline.com/agent1320/2015/1320-xvii_7-19.html I hope this is true.

double edit - Hey Viking (or anyone else) perhaps you can answer something I've wondered. So in tractor/truck pulling, two of the most popular classes are pro stock and super stock. Take the tractors for example - the pro-stock class limits them to one turbocharger of varying size depending on sanctioning body and makes them run skinnier tires. The Super Stock class has the widest tires and up to 4 turbo chargers allowed. What I'm getting at is pro is the milder class, super is the wilder one. NHRA seems to be backwards here i.e. the super stocks are closer to street cars while the pros are basically completely modified vehicles. Any idea why they are bass ackwards?

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jul 16, 2015

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
They're just names, it really doesn't matter. Why is Cup considered better than Grand National?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Pro stock was basically a continuation of Super Stock with more liberal rules. SS was first, and IIRC they went with Pro to designate that the cars were purpose built. Back in the 70's you could still be an amateur racer in SS.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

VikingSkull posted:

Pro stock was basically a continuation of Super Stock with more liberal rules. SS was first, and IIRC they went with Pro to designate that the cars were purpose built. Back in the 70's you could still be an amateur racer in SS.

Thanks, I was just curious. As I said, most other forms of motorsport I'm familiar with (including r/c's) it's always the other way around.

I'm pretty excited for this weekend as I'm getting to crew on a friend's 4x4 pulling truck tomorrow night at a big NTPA/Outlaw pull just west of St. Louis. It's a very nice old Dodge.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Sophia Floersch just tweeted that she won't be racing in Ginetta Juniors anymore. Hope it means she's on to a better series.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Ginetta Juniors is the best series in the world though.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

gret posted:

Sophia Floersch just tweeted that she won't be racing in Ginetta Juniors anymore. Hope it means she's on to a better series.

Last I heard she was skipping straight to F4.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

It did sound like she doesn't have the budget to finish out the Ginetta Juniors season though. What a shame.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Time for the Mazda road to gp2

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

gret posted:

Is she legal now, then?

For single seaters I mean

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Mount Panorama in aussie summer vs currently.

It's time for a winter Bathurst 999.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Two riders died in a first lap crash in the AMA Superbike race at Laguna Seca, gently caress.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cygni posted:

Mount Panorama in aussie summer vs currently.

It's time for a winter Bathurst 999.

Andros Trophy in Bathhurst...:getin:

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

http://sportscar365.com/gt/n24/2016-nurburgring-24-date-confirmed/
Few month old news, but the 2016 Nurburgring 24hr is happening the same weekend as the F1 Monaco GP and the Indy 500.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
How could you forget the more important race of the day, the NASCAR Coca-Cola 600!?!?!??

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Surprisingly easily.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
But it's the most important because it's the one able to put you to sleep off your weekend long racing high

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Slickdrac posted:

But it's the most important because it's the one able to put you to sleep off your weekend long racing high

I'd have to be really really high to watch a new 600 mile nascar race.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

24 hours of spa is on today. Probably several outlets are streaming if I had to guess. Try nismo or even the series's YouTube if they aren't geoblocking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
On the road to Lime Rock for a ghetto IMSA race.

• Locked thread