Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
CM PUNK
This poll is closed.
CM PUNK 47 25.68%
CM PUNK 41 22.40%
CM PUNK 71 38.80%
CM PUNK 24 13.11%
Total: 183 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

smarxist posted:

love how hard it is to give a company money for their product lol

I don't get what is hard about it I have done it through BR Live and the PSN before and would do it through traditional PPV if I had non Sling cable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Yeah, I have never had trouble with BR Live except for the one time I got home from vacation as a PPV was ending and I had to wait an hour after it ended for the replay to be uploaded

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Pylons posted:

B/R hasn't been a great platform for them. Still hoping they get put on HBO Max eventually.

HBO Max still has a list of it's own problems

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

in conclusion, streaming services are a land of contrasts

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
Showed my 63 year old mom the CM Punk videos. Really just wanted to show her the crowd reaction because it's so crazy, especially now. She ended up watching the whole promo and tearing up because she could tell how happy CM Punk was, told her the story about how WWE had abused him. At the end, she said "I want to watch the match he's talking about. When's that on?" I followed up by showing her some Orange Cassidy and it ended with "Well, you've got me hooked."

If I can get my mom to want to start watching AEW, it's going places, I'm tellin' ya.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
In news that will shock no one:

https://twitter.com/PWTees/status/1429455449821175811

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

They completely ran out of ringer shirts to print the design on too.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

It was until the guy they built it around died, they’re going to stay a ragtag band of misfits held together by shared trauma until hey decide to move on from Dark Order as a concept. All of the members openly disdain the idea of who their next leader will be every time WWE does a wave of releases.

I think you’re right about the only way Bray could work in AEW, but slotting him into Dark Order like the last year hasn’t happened isn’t the landing spot.

didn't actually know any of that. appreciate the reply. :)

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

It became the year's best selling shirt in under 24 hours, despite the store being down for large portions of the day.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

This b league t shirt company

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

edit: sigh, nevermind

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Really hope Dave has merchandise numbers for the show.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

MassRafTer posted:

Almost everyone in my row left after Punk's segment to get in line for a shirt.

Instead, I can see myself in the crowd so that's good enough for me.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

smarxist posted:

edit: sigh, nevermind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuEdU_lrtZk&t=149s

was it this?

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Wednesday is going to be a make or break show for AEW because a LOT of new folks are going to show up out of curiosity. With only 3 matches they've made some interesting choices.

Brock vs. Malakai is cool because it's going to affect different audiences but achieve the same result. I have no idea what Brock is like backstage, but there's a lot of folks that are going to point at him as a nepotism hire who only has work because of his dad (*cough Dominik cough*) and seeing him get his head kicked in will make them love Malakai. There will be folks who loved Arn back in the day who will see the Enforcer watch his son die in the ring and they will want Malakai's blood.

Red Velvet and Jaime Hayter will showcase 2 incredibly talented women plus the champ, give the audience a chance to see how AEW books its women and hopefully provide a counter argument to the criticisms of AEW's female booking (They don't get enough screentime but the talent is protected and treated seriously).

And then oh look we have Orange Cassidy, the guy you use to get someone interested in AEW going up against Matt Hardy, feeding an already existing feud but allowing for a great showcase of both guys.

And we know we're going to get the Lucha Bros against the Varsity Blondes, which will mostly be so folks can stare at Skeleton Joker Man and the Flippy guy and want more.

I'm always excited for Wednesday, but I might be even more excited for Thursday to hear what folks think.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

MassRafTer posted:

In the Sports Illustrated article he wrote, he mentioned them breaking company records and doing 200,000 dollars of merch at the show.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Renaissance Spam posted:

Brock vs. Malakai is cool because it's going to affect different audiences but achieve the same result. I have no idea what Brock is like backstage, but there's a lot of folks that are going to point at him as a nepotism hire who only has work because of his dad (*cough Dominik cough*) and seeing him get his head kicked in will make them love Malakai. There will be folks who loved Arn back in the day who will see the Enforcer watch his son die in the ring and they will want Malakai's blood.
Brock going "whatever dad :rolleyes:" as Arn pleaded with him not to go through with the match has me firmly on Team Malakai

FUCKFACE MORON fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Aug 22, 2021

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
another W for the good guys

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Nick Jr. Face posted:

Brock going "whatever dad :rolleyes:" as Arm pleaded with him not to go through with the match has me firmly on Team Malakai

Maybe Malakai can kick Brock into some better ring gear while he's at it.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

MassRafTer posted:

dave did an article for SI

https://www.si.com/wrestling/2021/08/22/summerslam-wwe-aew-cm-punk-competition

quote:

It also set its single-event merchandise sales record of more than $200,000.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I assume the previous record holder was the Brodie memorial shirt?

I just rewatched the Cody match in that tweet and I'm not gonna lie, I teared up a bit. Unexpected.

Also, that toy vlog is way more fun to watch than I expected a 30 minute video in a toy store to be.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I hope Brock comes out kitted out like a tough guy, all black trunks and shaved head, and still gets his rear end kicked.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Renaissance Spam posted:

Wednesday is going to be a make or break show for AEW because a LOT of new folks are going to show up out of curiosity. With only 3 matches they've made some interesting choices.

Red Velvet and Jaime Hayter will showcase 2 incredibly talented women plus the champ, give the audience a chance to see how AEW books its women and hopefully provide a counter argument to the criticisms of AEW's female booking (They don't get enough screentime but the talent is protected and treated seriously).

And then oh look we have Orange Cassidy, the guy you use to get someone interested in AEW going up against Matt Hardy, feeding an already existing feud but allowing for a great showcase of both guys.

And we know we're going to get the Lucha Bros against the Varsity Blondes, which will mostly be so folks can stare at Skeleton Joker Man and the Flippy guy and want more.

I'm always excited for Wednesday, but I might be even more excited for Thursday to hear what folks think.

sure seems like some smart booking if you want new viewers to stick around

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
From today's WOR.

One of the top ten markets mentioned was Chicago. Chicago did a 1.6 in 18-49 during the first half-hour, which will skew the average of the top ten. Compared to last week, Rampage was up 57% in households and 50% on 18-49. If this number correlates nationally (which it probably won't as Chicago is part of the top ten), this would be around 1.16 million, 1.6 in 18-49. Dave thinks the final number will be a little bit less than that, nationally.

0.46 is the overall demo from the top ten numbers.

The Dynamite number on Wednesday should be very interesting.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Dango Bango posted:

Also, that toy vlog is way more fun to watch than I expected a 30 minute video in a toy store to be.

I'm always amazed at who shows up in Ethan Page's vlogs, and how almost universally everyone working at AEW is a hardcore nerd about something. They all have at least one nerdy hobby or collection.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

smarxist posted:

isn't roku android? can probably just download the BR Live app or Fite, but you'll have to pay full price

Roku's OS is iirc a weird Linux build, but there's a native Fite app.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The Milwaukee Dynamite ticket sales picked up a lot after Rampage and I wonder if the other Dynamites not selling well have had a pick up as well

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Dango Bango posted:

I assume the previous record holder was the Brodie memorial shirt?

I just rewatched the Cody match in that tweet and I'm not gonna lie, I teared up a bit. Unexpected.

They had the guy from pwtees on the rightful podcast yesterday and he said Brodie was one and Sting was two. He did not expect Punk to take the top spot.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

not sure i agree with his theory that the real winners at summerslam were the fans

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

The Last Call posted:

From today's WOR.

One of the top ten markets mentioned was Chicago. Chicago did a 1.6 in 18-49 during the first half-hour, which will skew the average of the top ten. Compared to last week, Rampage was up 57% in households and 50% on 18-49. If this number correlates nationally (which it probably won't as Chicago is part of the top ten), this would be around 1.16 million, 1.6 in 18-49. Dave thinks the final number will be a little bit less than that, nationally.

0.46 is the overall demo from the top ten numbers.

The Dynamite number on Wednesday should be very interesting.
So this means that those of us who voted "Yes" are getting new avatars :getin:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Renaissance Spam posted:

I'm not sure we do know that. I agree that the Bros are (probably) going over, but i expect the Blonds to get some shine. They're young, they're over (loud "varsity" chants when the crowds came back), and Tony Kahn put them together and is proud of them.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Kull the Conqueror posted:

didn't actually know any of that. appreciate the reply. :)

Well in that case, I definitely recommend going down a rabbit hole of looking up Brodie Lee’s run as the Exalted One from last year. Dark Order turned from a group that had the worst segment of the first stretch of Dynamites in 2019 to one of the top heel stables starting from March 2020 through the fall when Brodie was on TV for the last time. He ended up passing away in December and the group pretty much turned face by default.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
TNT about to give Rampage a second hour, and Taz a celebrity karaoke competition to lead in Go Big Show season 2

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Kvantum posted:

I'm always amazed at who shows up in Ethan Page's vlogs, and how almost universally everyone working at AEW is a hardcore nerd about something. They all have at least one nerdy hobby or collection.

All indie guys are turbo-nerds who are happy to drive 16 hours round-trip for a hotdog and a handshake just because they love wrestling. And who's going to show up for a toy hunt if you're apathetic about all toys? Besides Hook.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I use surf shark and have no problems with fite.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Mr. Squishy posted:

I'm not sure we do know that. I agree that the Bros are (probably) going over, but i expect the Blonds to get some shine. They're young, they're over (loud "varsity" chants when the crowds came back), and Tony Kahn put them together and is proud of them.

I love the Blondes. Griff is a joy to watch on Sammy's vlog, Brian is improving every show and his new gear looks great and Julia is so infectiously happy that every time they show up my day gets a little brighter. They have so much upside that if Private Party had won on Friday I'd give them a chance to win on Wednesday.

But there's no way they can work heel and nobody is working babyface against Jungle Express.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

i guess cody will be the one to work things out between colt and punk

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Mr. Squishy posted:

All indie guys are turbo-nerds who are happy to drive 16 hours round-trip for a hotdog and a handshake just because they love wrestling. And who's going to show up for a toy hunt if you're apathetic about all toys? Besides Hook.

Alex Abrahantes being enough of a Transformers fan to be ordering the new ones from the Netflix series surprised me.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.

El Generico posted:

Showed my 63 year old mom the CM Punk videos. Really just wanted to show her the crowd reaction because it's so crazy, especially now. She ended up watching the whole promo and tearing up because she could tell how happy CM Punk was, told her the story about how WWE had abused him. At the end, she said "I want to watch the match he's talking about. When's that on?" I followed up by showing her some Orange Cassidy and it ended with "Well, you've got me hooked."

If I can get my mom to want to start watching AEW, it's going places, I'm tellin' ya.

The ultimate heel move: turning your mom into a mark!

Nice going. My wife has slowly been sucked in to AEW (notably Jungle Boy, OC, and Darby) and the pop made her furiously Google CM Punk to figure out the fuss. It's truly an engaging promotion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

HidaO-Win posted:

I’ve been mulling over the CM Punk return for the last two days and trying to get my thoughts in order about why it feels like a huge deal and its galvanised a lot of people.

I think this is the endpoint of “The brand is the star”

it's definitely that because you have a guy coming back explicitly to give people new matches and deliberately work with younger guys to help build a future. As opposed to just some guy who comes in to immediately challenge for the title belt, be on like 7 shows a year, and then leave