Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Why does hard mode add like 3 additional female sorceresses to your group? Like seriously, wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Keldulas posted:

Why does hard mode add like 3 additional female sorceresses to your group? Like seriously, wow.

We could have gotten all of these characters on Normal, but they would have required delving into the A ending path (at the very least, visiting Lezard's tower), which Applesandoranges didn't want to do.

As for "Is this truly justice", that may be (I think Lorenta was my go-to mage for most of the game). But I'm almost certain Lenneth has alternate battle lead-in quotes when her seal value is low.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Keldulas posted:

Lyseria is the only *Hard mode only* character.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

cdyoung posted:

fighting bloodbane normally, required those two skills, and two angel curios since he's just that amazingly powerful.

Several people in this thread, myself included, have reported beating both main and postgame without ever using auto item.

KataraniSword posted:

The short form is that if you know how to actually control the battle system (not just mashing the buttons like every 12-year-old playing this game did :downs:) you don't really need the safety net.

You say that, but mashing all the buttons until numbers stop popping out has served me well though the entire series. :v:

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Really mashing the buttons is what you're going. The main thing is knowing which button to mash FIRST. After that it doesn't usually matter, aside from doing your Soul Crushes in the correct order.

Sientara
May 27, 2012

Lyseria:

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

The heads can be safely ignored with the Dimension Slip, which is the one time I use it.

You goddamn motherfucker.

Getting past the floating heads took me forever, and getting the second Flame Jewel took even longer. I was kinda surprised ApplesandOranges left it at "oh yeah these guys teleport you to the start of the section" because this is the one part in the game I legit hated.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I imagine that pretty soon we'll be seeing what all these Flame Jewels are for, right?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Glazius posted:

I imagine that pretty soon we'll be seeing what all these Flame Jewels are for, right?

If by "pretty soon" you mean "in the post-game" then yes. We still have to get the other ending first before the Flame Jewels become relevant, however.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
This next scene is special. It triggers as soon as Lenneth's Seal Value drops below 34 during Chapter 7 - for me it triggered right after Odin told Lenneth about Lyseria, but if one's Seal level was just above the threshold it could also trigger by recruiting Suo or visiting Brahms if you hadn't done that yet.

Obviously enough, Lucian also needs to survive in Asgard up to this point. If you'd sent him up poorly prepared and he dies prematurely, tough cookies.

But...

Oh, nothing special...

Come now!! Something is troubling you? I could well understand if that is the case.

It's true that much has happened. I may be... I may be a little confused...

Yes? What else?

And... The truth is...

What are you saying? You can't believe that you and Lenneth could actually be together!

...Yes yes.

...Well, it's okay. It's nothing to hide...

That's right. But...

!!

No memory?

That's right. I always try to get her to talk about her human life, but it seems that my sister Freya has sealed off her memories.

Sealed her memory? Her human memory?

Her duty as a Valkyrie is primary... If her human memory remained, it would only be an obstacle to that. Oh. I think I said too much...

No, it's nothing.

Huh? It's impossible. It was Freya herself who sealed off her memory. The only ones who could break the seal are Freya, or Lord Odin.

Besides, didn't Lady Freya call for you to come?

...Is there something else you want from me?

Although there is no direct solution, there is another way.

Huh?

But as you might expect, removing the seal from her memory is not an easy task. However, I believe that perhaps you can at least speak with Valkyrie if you wish...

---

Do you know how it is done? Lord Odin uses the Water Mirror to communicate with her.

Exactly.

But, will I be forgiven for such a thing?

I couldn't really care less.

What do I do?

Close your eyes and concentrate. Think of her. That's all you have to do.

---

Listen: Lucian and Lenneth

Valkyrie...

I know you won't, but...

Lucian... what is this?

But the other one is hidden somewhere else...

What do you mean? That's why you used the Water Mirror?!

It wasn't really the earring that I wanted to give you... But I thought if you accepted it, maybe...

...How will I? You dare order me to go treasure hunting? You're a fool... Now that you have done this, have you any idea of the repercussions?

---

L, leave me alone...

...Huh?!

Th, that form, Loki...?

But the blame for stealing it will have to fall on your shoulders, Lucian.

What!?

...Hee hee hee. And the best part is that I shall be the hero for killing you.

Forget about it! I'll never let it happen like that. I'm not ready to die just yet!

Loki character art.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
Well this was bound to happen once Loki showed up. :v:

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

Like a human, to reincarnate after death

Still think the Enherjar in the past weren't the present ones?

Overrated Sage
Aug 9, 2011

Atelier Iris in a nutshell:
"yay Veola pl- oh dammit main plot again"
Huh, I was expecting the drama to focus more on Freya and Odin instead of Loki. I'm not even sure I ever really realized Loki was in this game, although in retrospect he was probably in an Einharjar's Valhalla cutscene or something.

Also, I can't decide if Lucian is brilliant or terrible at helping Lenneth here. I can appreciate that he's trying to sort of let her memories return naturally by finding something Platina had or something like that, but at the same time it's kinda ridiculous to go up to a Valkyrie and say "hey, find this earring for no reason, okay?"

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

"Hey, Valkyrie, Valkyrie, you should go look for this other earring!"

"Why should I?"

:nyoron:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Okay, I was... kind of expecting something sinister from Odin there. Surt was badmouthing him last time out. But no, it's Loki?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Glazius posted:

Okay, I was... kind of expecting something sinister from Odin there. Surt was badmouthing him last time out. But no, it's Loki?

Odin has ulterior motives, Loki just has regular in your face motives :v:

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

dis astranagant posted:

Odin has ulterior motives, Loki just has regular in your face motives :v:

No, he also has ulterior motives.

When you're dealing with Odin you're hosed in the long term. When you're dealing with Loki you're hosed in both the short and long terms, possibly broken up by a middle term where you get to kick his rear end for loving you up in the short term. (And for being a horse-fucker.)

Gestalt Illusion
May 28, 2013

Why the gently caress does anyone keep Loki around in Norse mythology inspired stories is an eternal mystery.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Glazius posted:

Someone surprised because Loki was a dick. I didn't think that was still possible.

Well-played, Tri-Ace.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Edge Milesworth posted:

Why the gently caress does anyone keep Loki around in Norse mythology inspired stories is an eternal mystery.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ratoslov posted:

No, he also has ulterior motives.

When you're dealing with Odin you're hosed in the long term. When you're dealing with Loki you're hosed in both the short and long terms, possibly broken up by a middle term where you get to kick his rear end for loving you up in the short term. (And for being a horse-fucker.)

I mean as far as the audience goes.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

How nostalgic...

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Edge Milesworth posted:

Because the Norse gods need their wildcard/scapegoat/extremely-lateral-thinker that a trickster is. In the last KoDP thread there was talk about the Trickster's role in the setting, and it was a pretty good match for why you might choose to keep one around. Plus, Loki's family even if he's adopted.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
Is this the scene that locks you into the A ending or is that later on?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Camel Pimp posted:

Is this the scene that locks you into the A ending or is that later on?

Not yet, still one more choice to make.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
More directly ending chapter 8 by using up all Periods would proceed to B ending as normal. There's one more action we have to take in chapter 8 to trigger it. However, once you do you're forced to go to the ending, so we'll want to do C8's dungeons before getting there.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
It's worth noting that 'unforgivable' is Serious Business in Japan. Valkyrie isn't telling Lucian 'that was just awful!' She's saying 'I ought to kill you for this!' Hence Lucian's reaction.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

FredMSloniker posted:

It's worth noting that 'unforgivable' is Serious Business in Japan. Valkyrie isn't telling Lucian 'that was just awful!' She's saying 'I ought to kill you for this!' Hence Lucian's reaction.

Pretty sure the whole 'beyond forgiveness' thing tends to be a pretty big statement regardless of language.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

BioMe posted:

Pretty sure the whole 'beyond forgiveness' thing tends to be a pretty big statement regardless of language.

Yeah, it is, but it can't really be overstated in a Japanese context. "Yurusenai" (which I assume the original Japanese used) tends to carry with it a meaning that more or less equates to "not even death will absolve you of this sin". Or, uh, double-death as it would be in the case of Einherjar?

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
I thought that was just an artifact of anime translations, along the lines of "do your best" and "you..."?

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms

Hedera Helix posted:

I thought that was just an artifact of anime translations, along the lines of "do your best" and "you..."?

No, 'unforgivable' is legit a Big Deal in Japanese linguistics. YURUSENAI is basically phase 1 in declaring a blood vendetta. There's a reason it pops up in Japanese media so often; Japanese fiction is based heavily in melodrama(in the strict creative sense of the term), and 'unforgivable' is pretty much Threat Level Blackwatch Plaid.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
You remember that movie Taken, about Liam Neeson killing half of France to get his daughter back? You remember the phone conversation from the trailer where he's basically telling the guy "If you let my daughter go, I won't come after you; but if you don't, then I will hunt you down, I will find you and I will kill you"?

That's basically what kind of connotation "unforgivable" carries in Japan. If someone has done something "unforgivable" then they have crossed the line, and the only option that remains is (usually lethal) retribution.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

All I got from that explanation is a picture in my mind of Lenneth killing half of Asgard to hunt down Lucian for using up her mystical cell phone minutes while talking like Liam Neeson. Can we play that game next?

SodomyGoat101
Nov 20, 2012
That's pretty much Valkyrie Profile 2 in a nutshell.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Fat and Useless posted:

All I got from that explanation is a picture in my mind of Lenneth killing half of Asgard to hunt down Lucian for using up her mystical cell phone minutes while talking like Liam Neeson. Can we play that game next?

I got this in my head. Not Liam, but Quentin.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

FeyerbrandX posted:

I got this in my head. Not Liam, but Quentin.

What does she have against the female lead of Lunar 2? :confused:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

I had to get her a few levels, but Nanami just made it over the Hero Value treshold. Let's send her up.

"Our current situation is-" wait, what?

His name is Lucian.

He was executed by Loki, who happened to be present at the time.

The Dragon Orb was stolen, and possibly sent to Midgard. We do not know exactly where it is.

Lenneth, I have a very important mission for you. You must go to Midgard and retrieve the stolen Dragon Orb.

---

---

Yes, my lord.

---

Yes. The ripples on the Water Mirror should have been plainly visible.

Yes... you may leave now.

Yes. We have no proof his story was a lie.

That is right.

However, that doesn't explain this human's motives, does it? And I find it hard to believe he is secretly in league with the Giants...

All the information we have is uncertain and unreliable. Therefore...

Therefore?

For the time being, we leave Loki be.

Well, this is turning out to be the best 28th day left to Ragnarok, isn't it?

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jul 8, 2014

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
loving hell, Lucian. You could've at least tried to run for it. :smith:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

"We have no choice but to believe Loki." -Not the words of a man with a sense of pattern recognition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Night10194 posted:

"We have no choice but to believe Loki." -Not the words of a man with a sense of pattern recognition.

Yeah.

I take back all the nice things I said about Odin. Obviously they do not apply here.

• Locked thread