Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Welp, I did it. Got all the way to level 11 and got 400k caps in gold. Now to crawl to a town to trade all this garbage out. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

madeupfred posted:

Welp, I did it. Got all the way to level 11 and got 400k caps in gold. Now to crawl to a town to trade all this garbage out. :downs:

I think if you put it on a corpse it would be faster to carry the corpse than deal with being overencumbered.

At least the walking animation is slightly faster.

Lock Knight
Oct 5, 2012

You're gonna carry that weight.
Cybernetic Crumb

King Doom posted:

it doesn't matter what level the ghost people are. Rescue christine first, and take the time to make a clean cosmic knife. Using vats it pretty much instagibs any ghost person at any level with maybe one in every three stabs.

And now I feel foolish for neglecting melee.

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I think if you put it on a corpse it would be faster to carry the corpse than deal with being overencumbered.

At least the walking animation is slightly faster.

I can do that?

Whoa, you guys are crazy helpful. :supaburn:

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

madeupfred posted:

I can do that?

Whoa, you guys are crazy helpful. :supaburn:

Doesn't need to be a whole corpse, a chunk will work.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Okay, I'm trying to figure out what I want to get my brother for his birthday, and he's out of town and mostly incommunicado at the moment, but I was looking over his Steam account and he's got like a hundred hours in New Vegas. I thought of getting him the DLC, but I wasn't sure if he's got it, and I got the idea to check his achievements. He doesn't have any DLC achievements, but they're all sitting there unachieved- do they show up on the New Vegas achievements page in your account if you don't have the DLC, or does somebody with only vanilla New Vegas not even see those achievements as available but unachieved?

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.
So, it's been a little over a year since Lonesome road came out, and that means it's been a full year since I %100ed Fallout 3 and New Vegas. But I'm feeling the itch again, and I want more!

The problem is, when I beat the everloving hell out of these games, I was not only extremely thorough, I played them in the most difficult manner available, as character builds that I like to call "Brain in a Jar" since they have 1 strength, 1 endurance, and max Int, playing on the hardest difficulty, have a self imposed restriction from wearing power armor, and in NV I was on hardcore mode. I need more challenge, clearly.

So, right now I'm looking for mods which either raise the difficulty in a balanced way, impose stricter realism (hardcore mode isn't hardcore enough, I want to have to struggle to survive!,) and expand the game's content without adding a bunch of really stupid one shot sidequests designed by retarded teenagers, that give absurd and or broken rewards, and have literally no depth or fun value(like the kind I used to make in Morrowind when I was a retarded teenager.)

I need some suggestions, and if possible, personal experience reviews. I'm especially interested in stuff that expands and ports NV features into F3.

Right now I'm looking at the JSawyer Mod which is apparently well balanced and makes the game harder (tough to tell how much harder though,) the New Vegas Uncut series of mods which restore cut content, and I've heard there is a huge mod that connects Fallout 3 and New Vegas into one continuous game, though I can't seem to find it, and I can't quite tell if I like that idea or not. I mean, if it makes F3 play more like NV, then that's a huge plus, but on the other hand, I don't want to be a living god when I get to the Mojave.

So if anybody has suggestions for me, if you've tried one of these mods and can tell me how it worked, or if you've played a good mod that does one or more of these things, please tell me all about it.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I can definitely recommend the JSawyer mod. It integrated pretty seamlessly and even though it increases the difficulty a bit, its not a challenge mod or anything. Just tweaks the balance to be less in the player's favor. IIRC it does change some stuff up with hardcore mode which might be to your liking, but I never play hardcore so I can't really say.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
I can't speak for the others, but the JSawyer mod--with hardcore mode on--pretty much made the game into what I wanted it to be. I've mentioned it before (several times, so sorry if this is old hat to a lot of you), but if you put the game on easy and install the mod, it's almost the perfect balance between killing things and getting killed yourself.

That is, I like my bullets to kill things. I don't mind if I'm plinking away at a radscorpion with my varmint rifle and running for my life in the process, but when I shoot a Powder Ganger in the face at point-blank range, I want him to drop. The same thing goes for me--if I overplay my hand and get stupid, I want the game to punish me for it.

Honestly, I was scrounging for every last thing I could find from Primm to New Vegas. And with the lowered level cap and (substantially) lowered experience rate, I never quite lost that scavenger mindset. Even by the endgame I wasn't the bad-rear end I was used to being, and the fight at the end made gathering all my reinforcements worth it.

Incidentally, it also adds to the mood and theme of the story. You aren't really a hero in New Vegas; you're just a lieutenant for one group or another,* getting worked to the bone for a tired democracy, a tyrant, or a heartless CEO of a long dead corporation, a trio of clowns who can't let go of the past. You're forwarding their interests but that's about it. By the time you're done, you shouldn't feel like a hero; you should feel like a guy who got caught up in a mess bigger than himself and who picks the lesser of three evils. Rolling around as a level fifty god and going cock-first into the Battle of Hoover Dam, that runs counter to the tone of the story.

So, uh, yeah. I really recommend getting it.

*except for going all Wild Card, of course.

Edit: I forgot to mention that the lowered experience rate doesn't work with the expansions (at least the version I have, it doesn't). So you'll probably want to save those for last. I hope there's an updated version that fixes that, but with Obsidian's (loving awesome looking) four million dollar fish to fry, I'd completely understand if it isn't exactly a priority.

Asbury fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Nov 6, 2012

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Pope Guilty posted:

Okay, I'm trying to figure out what I want to get my brother for his birthday, and he's out of town and mostly incommunicado at the moment, but I was looking over his Steam account and he's got like a hundred hours in New Vegas. I thought of getting him the DLC, but I wasn't sure if he's got it, and I got the idea to check his achievements. He doesn't have any DLC achievements, but they're all sitting there unachieved- do they show up on the New Vegas achievements page in your account if you don't have the DLC, or does somebody with only vanilla New Vegas not even see those achievements as available but unachieved?

If you buy him the DLC through the steam app I'm pretty sure it will show whether he has the DLC. It will say something like "this person already owns this"

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

3Romeo posted:

Edit: I forgot to mention that the lowered experience rate doesn't work with the expansions (at least the version I have, it doesn't). So you'll probably want to save those for last. I hope there's an updated version that fixes that
The current version of JSawyer decreases quest XP in the DLCs by 66%.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
Did JSawyer mod reduce the weight you can lug along into the Honest Hearts DLC area? Gonna do that later today, yesterday I was pretty smug when I realized I don't even need to leave anything behind if the carry limit is same as originally.

But I figure ^ that guy probably went full assmode and reduced the limit to 15 or something.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Not even close to being balanced, but if you want full on apocalypse mode knee deep in the dead and the living are drowning in the blood of the slain, then snag the momod and the improved wasteland spawns. Geckos tougher than deathclaws, right outside goodsprings? Yes please! (The mod isn't as bad as everyone says, balance wise. You just need to be careful to stay on the roads, the killers are all in the hills around hells motel and the old radio station.)

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

It's really bad.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

rope kid posted:

:love: That is the best, you are the best.
Now I have a reason not to grade papers over thanksgiving break!

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Fewd posted:

Did JSawyer mod reduce the weight you can lug along into the Honest Hearts DLC area?
Yes. I don't remember the new limits, but it's roughly proportional to the overall lower weight limits.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

rope kid posted:

Yes. I don't remember the new limits, but it's roughly proportional to the overall lower weight limits.

Mmm... well I don't think that change is working then. I didn't exactly test it much but when I got there, the quest said 75 pounds. I talked to Ricky and then the quest said 100 pounds. Went in with about 80.

That's with the latest version of the mod.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Pocket Billiards posted:

Doesn't need to be a whole corpse, a chunk will work.
Not really.

Due to engine comedy a chunk will always be heavier than the whole body and thus harder to move than the body since the weight physics value of the part is added to the body's weight physics value to yield the effective value in regards to drag-carrying something, instead of, oh, just using the weight physics value of the removed body part.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Wasn't the "engine comedy" patched in to stop people escaping Dead Money with all the gold so easily?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Wasn't the "engine comedy" patched in to stop people escaping Dead Money with all the gold so easily?
No, that particular bug actually dates back from Fallout 3.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The small part is still less likely to get hung up on terrain than a whole body tho.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

3Romeo posted:

I can't speak for the others, but the JSawyer mod--with hardcore mode on--pretty much made the game into what I wanted it to be.

This. Also, these:

Cirosan's Classic Overhaul: http://ooccommunity.com/media/gamemods/cirosans-classic-overhaul/
Puce Moose Tweak and Balance Center: http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/35015

CCO puts more emphasis on stats in calculating derived skills and params. It also balances followers nicely - removing magic ammo; halving follower damage o/p and damage taken so you don't feel like you're there just to record Boone's conquest of the West. Meshes nicely with rope kid's superb jsawyer mod since Cirosan's taken the trouble to create patches to make CCO work with jsawyer. You can also make jsawyer + CCO + Project Nevada work together if you skip PN's Rebalance module. Lots of great stuff in CCO and it's very modular, so check out the README.

Puce Moose's PMT is an a la carte grab bag of mods that make the game harder. Highly recommended. Especially the Reduced Ammo and Chems mod, which combines well with JSawyer to make it a hard life in the wasteland. Running a bunch of these along with jsawyer + cco makes it feel like a brand new game on the third runthrough. I played it on very hard the first two runs and all that did was make things bullet-spongey.

Some examples of how these are playing well together:

PN adds a leather backpack that gives you +50lbs carrying capacity. That seemed way overpowered in light of what JSawyer does to lower your carrying capacity until I saw it gave you a -2 AG penalty once you used something like half of its capacity. That's 20 whole AP I just lost with CCO's tweaks active - a decent penalty.

I'm almost out of ammo for Boone having just cleared Nelson - have about 40 .556mm left and all the .308 is gone - so I had to shell out a bunch of precious caps to Knight to get the lever-action rifle (added by PN, I assume) repaired so he could start using the 10mm I have on hand. I've been crafting .357 (Lucky!) from 9mm to get some decent damage - never had to craft so early before.

3Romeo posted:

I've mentioned it before (several times, so sorry if this is old hat to a lot of you), but if you put the game on easy and install the mod, it's almost the perfect balance between killing things and getting killed yourself.

Puce Moose has a tweak for Very Hard mode that keeps your damage at 100% (instead of 50%) and ups damage taken to 250% (from 200%). He's also got a Deadlier Combat mod that I plan to run after nuking its DR changes (which jsawyer and CCO both do as well).

The FoNV modding thread has some excellent mods listed in the OP, which is where I first found CCO and PMT.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 6, 2012

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Puce Moose and CCO both look pretty good, compatible with JSawyer, and somewhat scalable, and that's excellent! Definitely looks like the sort of non-gimmicky challenge boost I want, at least for NV, so I think those three are definite yeses. My only concern is that if I'm also going to use some item mods, will I need to manually adjust the new items to match up with the parameters set by these 3 for balance sake? Some of them are just remodels/textures to add visual variety to armor and things, but others I think are brand new, so if I'd have to modify them, I guess I'd just as soon skip them.

So does anyone know if these things are compatible (or have equivalents) for F3? Because that's coming first, and I don't have much more than a few items and (possibly) some side quests to add onto that. I'd love a hardcore mode, being that the bulk of the story for that game revolves around getting clean water, but you don't ever actually need to drink anything. And for content, has anyone checked out Brotherhood Black Ops, or Undiscovered Capital? I'm hoping that with enough difficulty mods in place, I won't feel the need to add a bunch of user made sidequest stuff, since it's been my experience with other games that they are almost always terrible, but these two looked or sounded alright.

Edit: I think the mod I was looking for that combines F3 and NV into on continuous game is called Requiem for the Capital Wasteland, but it's not available on nexus right now, so I have no idea what it's features are, or how it changes the game(s). I'm hoping it updates F3 to NV standards, allows me to play the games standalone if I want, and that if it does bring F3 up to snuff, that I can use the NV realism/difficulty mods you guy's have suggested in both games (as well as the item mods I'm interested in.) Has anyone used this, and if so, can you tell me how it works?

Danger-Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Nov 7, 2012

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

rope kid posted:

Is the talking to your brain bug in OWB fixed in this version?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

My only concern is that if I'm also going to use some item mods, will I need to manually adjust the new items to match up with the parameters set by these 3 for balance sake?

CCO and JSawyer don't manipulate damage values on weapons other than in specific instances - I don't think CCO touches any, actually. They add DR back into the game so they do touch armor.

If you use FNVEdit and/or Wrye Flash, you can massage these into shape easily enough. I've a BOSS masterlist that simplifies sorting all of CCO + jsawyer and the bits of PMT I use. It has BASH tags for use with Wrye Flash to ensure, for eg, that jsawyer's armor and ingestible changes win out in the end - will probably stick it up on github.

Also check out Realistic Aiming, Manual Reload, Tuckered Out, Immersive Sneaking, No Dialog Tags, Right To Bear Arms (Puce Moose) for realism / immersion / challenge.

You've already mentioned the Vegas Uncut mods and Outside Bets is simply brilliant from that series - Nelson and Forlorn Hope felt like two warring camps with the NCR trying to flank the former from above and the Legion attacking the latter across the dead zone: superb.

The same author's made The Strip Open and Freeside Open and, while I haven't made it that far in this run, they look fantastic and I'm looking forward to getting to Freeside.

Project Reality is the weather mod I prefer since it does a great job all on its own - and it has a bleaker, less saturated look to things. Nevada Skies is great, too, but really shines when used with a bunch of other mods like Imaginator and the ENB shaders, etc.

The goon made Lombard Station is the only house anyone should use. It doesn't unbalance anything and its sorters are a real convenience.

For UI tweaks: DarnUI, MCM, iHud, oHud, Hud Extended, Faster Terminals, Smoothlight, Quick Trade, No Blur Menus and UI.

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

I'd love a hardcore mode, being that the bulk of the story for that game revolves around getting clean water, but you don't ever actually need to drink anything.

I think http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/37254 for F3 was the motivation for the hardcore mode in FoNV. Tried it out in a very short play of F3 and it seemed very cool - far hardercore than FoNV's mode - and will be part of the mix if I ever do F3 again. The same author has one for FoNV as well, but that's way more elaborate and over the top. Imp's Timescale Adjuster for FoNV is really useful, though - dynamic timescale that plays well with vanilla hardcore rates and also lets you adjust those rates.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

v1ld posted:

CCO and JSawyer don't manipulate damage values on weapons other than in specific instances - I don't think CCO touches any, actually. They add DR back into the game so they do touch armor.

The goon made Lombard Station is the only house anyone should use. It doesn't unbalance anything and its sorters are a real convenience.

I think http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/37254 for F3 was the motivation for the hardcore mode in FoNV. Tried it out in a very short play of F3 and it seemed very cool - far hardercore than FoNV's mode - and will be part of the mix if I ever do F3 again. The same author has one for FoNV as well, but that's way more elaborate and over the top. Imp's Timescale Adjuster for FoNV is really useful, though - dynamic timescale that plays well with vanilla hardcore rates and also lets you adjust those rates.

I've grabbed Lombard station, since I never liked the houses in NV (other than the OWB one that is) and as cool as I think some of the UI and weather mods look, I'm running all this on a laptop, so I think they'd be a bit taxing and I'm just going to do without.

And after looking at IMCN for F3, I think that's nearly exactly what I'm looking for. My only concern is that it might not work with JSawyer, when I get to NV, and if I like it a lot that'd be a shame.

So I think, unless anyone can think of something great specifically to improve F3's content, or difficulty, or a way to make it play more like NV, I'm about ready to start that one back up. I will definitely take more recommendations while I'm getting the mods I'm interested in set up and debugged though, and any more suggestions for NV. I can tell already that this is going to be awesome!

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

So I think, unless anyone can think of something great specifically to improve F3's content, or difficulty, or a way to make it play more like NV, I'm about ready to start that one back up. I will definitely take more recommendations while I'm getting the mods I'm interested in set up and debugged though, and any more suggestions for NV. I can tell already that this is going to be awesome!

You might want to check out the NV modding thread.

Fallout Wanderer's Edition is one of the quintessential overhauls for FO3 that makes everything more involved and difficult (and generally better.) It does too many things to list but, suffice to say, it's pretty much the only way you'll get me to touch FO3 nowadays--short of playing FO3 through NV via the Requiem for the Capital Wasteland mod. There are a lot of other mods that can ape NV mechanics, but they're sort of underwhelming when stood alongside NV's equivalents. For example, you can install FO3's "Weapon Mod Kits", which behaves like NV's weapon modding system, except it more or less boils down to throwing the exact same silencer/magazine/laser on every single weapon. Also, FO3's animation variety is poo poo. It seems like every single weapon, even those added by mods, are forced to use one of four whole animations.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

You might want to check out the NV modding thread.

Fallout Wanderer's Edition is one of the quintessential overhauls for FO3 that makes everything more involved and difficult (and generally better.) It does too many things to list but, suffice to say, it's pretty much the only way you'll get me to touch FO3 nowadays--short of playing FO3 through NV via the Requiem for the Capital Wasteland mod. There are a lot of other mods that can ape NV mechanics, but they're sort of underwhelming when stood alongside NV's equivalents. For example, you can install FO3's "Weapon Mod Kits", which behaves like NV's weapon modding system, except it more or less boils down to throwing the exact same silencer/magazine/laser on every single weapon. Also, FO3's animation variety is poo poo. It seems like every single weapon, even those added by mods, are forced to use one of four whole animations.

Yeah, I felt like a real jerk when I realized there was a dedicated modding thread, but people seemed happy to help, so I just went with it. I've been looking through the main list over there too, and saw a few things I liked, but you are right that I should be posting this stuff there, so away I go.

Kashew
Feb 1, 2009
I ENJOY TALKING IN CIRCLES AND LEADING THREADS INTO POINTLESS DERAILS. DO NOT RESPOND TO MY POSTS, YOU ARE ONLY ENABLING ME TO CONTINUE BEING AN IDIOT. JUST IGNORE ME, PLEASE.
Is anyone else having a problem where none of their mods load when the launch the game?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Using the stock Data Files manager tends to do that.

Renditious
Sep 25, 2012

Kashew posted:

Is anyone else having a problem where none of their mods load when the launch the game?

Going to need more information about the problem then that if you want help. What launcher are you using?

Christina Arugula
Aug 10, 2004
How do you like your lawn? Broiled or charred?
Ramrod XTreme
I've played the game into a corner and have run through all the triggers for Veronica without having her as my companion. I'm trying to console my way past it. I'm following this guide:
code:
1. In the command console input the following:

set "00145f85".bReactionPending to 0

set "00145f85".nReactionPending to 4

set "00145f85".nReactionsGiven to 1

2. Close the command console and talk to Veronica. She should start the conversation as if she had reacted when you, say, brought her to McCarran.

3. Open the command console again and input the following:

set "00145f85".nReactionPending to 7

set "00145f85".nReactionsGiven to 2

4. Talk to Veronica again.

3. Open the command console again and input the following:

set "00145f85".nReactionPending to 6

set "00145f85".nReactionsGiven to 3

set "00145f85".bForceGreet to 1

set "00145f85".nGreetingPending to 1

set "00145f85".bDoneTroopReaction to 1

set "00145f85".nUpdates to 2

However it keeps saying "unknown variable: 00145f85" which is the quest ID. Anyone have any ideas? I really don't want to restart this game.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Did you say anything remotely bad about the brotherhood of steal when talking to her? cuz bug or not that fucks up any chance to have her IIRC.

Christina Arugula
Aug 10, 2004
How do you like your lawn? Broiled or charred?
Ramrod XTreme

DamnGlitch posted:

Did you say anything remotely bad about the brotherhood of steal when talking to her? cuz bug or not that fucks up any chance to have her IIRC.

Not at all, I even saved the brotherhood from imploding. I think I did things out of order.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
I'm near the end of Dead Money and Christine keeps trying to kill me and there is nothing I seem to be able to do about it. Is there any savegame/console voodoo I can pull so when I end up on the floor as her she doesn't automatically hate me for no reason? I've replayed the same section of game from getting her out of the auto-doc to being inside the casino 3 times and made sure I didn't screw up any of her skill checks and made her happy with everything but she still hates me.

ffffff I just want to finish this story without every one dead

edit: in more detail

I performed all skill checks with Christine possible up the point of dropping her off.
I didn't make her use the elevator
As soon as I take the elevator to her level in the casino it plays the hate you voice clip and the place is rigged with traps. I've seen youtubes of her having a better disposition and talking about her backstory when you get near her instead of taunting you the whole way.

VVVV I don't know where though, I keep replaying the same 3 hours of the game looking for something I've messed up and it keeps happening

Propaganda Hour fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Nov 11, 2012

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Well clearly you were a dick at some point soooo.

How can you not be nice to Chris she's great :(

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Nov 11, 2012

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Propaganda Hour posted:

I'm near the end of Dead Money and Christine keeps trying to kill me and there is nothing I seem to be able to do about it.
VVVV I don't know where though, I keep replaying the same 3 hours of the game looking for something I've messed up and it keeps happening
If you ever say you're not going to kill Elijah, she'll hate you. You can't suggest you're going to spare him or reason with him any time it comes up.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Hannibal Smith posted:

If you ever say you're not going to kill Elijah, she'll hate you. You can't suggest you're going to spare him or reason with him any time it comes up.

Ah, that might be one thing I've hit. Thanks

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
30 minutes of rope kid talking about New Vegas, plus some other stuff (including Fallout 3). I guess this goes in this thread, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xY1UjIRYsw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
So I'm nearing the end of my third playthrough and this has been my favourite one yet. In Fallout 3 I stuck with shooting people in VATS, and did the same thing the first two times through New Vegas. This time, I figured that since Old World Blues and Dead Money are best played with melee weapons I'd go melee/unarmed, and it's an absolute blast. I sliced the Powder Gangers to pieces with a machete when they tried to take over Goodsprings, and on my way to Mojave Outpost I casually punched a few Radscorpions to death at like level 5. I also gave myself 9 Luck, so I cleaned out Benny's casino before I ever met him, and then went into Dead Money with Them's Good Eatin' and Fortune Finder, which made it humiliatingly easy. I didn't run to the Sierra Madre when it opened, I swam there leisurely through a sea of morphine.

Anyway, much as I'm loving this build I'm already thinking about the next one I want to try, a laser-obsessed nerd who takes every perk which makes him more like a cool robot (Implant GRX, Adamantium Skeleton, etc. He'll loving love Big Mountain). Laser weapons are pretty much all useless peashooters, so I'm wondering if anyone has some good advice for a laser character. I'm thinking I'll need high Luck for lots of critical hits.