Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

road potato
Dec 19, 2005

Woodsy Owl posted:

Please don't use the Listerine with alcohol. The alcohol concentration is too low to be antiseptic, and it dries the poo poo out of your mouth. Bad time to have more dental emergencies. Stick to the non-alcohol variety.

The essential oils won't get you hosed up though.

Has there been an update since this article?

https://www.rutgers.edu/news/certain-mouthwashes-might-stop-covid-19-virus-transmission

Also, how much personal information does Test2treat gather, and what does it use to verify that info? I saw a bit about it reporting it to the local government, but if I wanted to pick some up for a friend, how would that work?

Or really, just to have it on hand in case there's a run on it in the small city where i live with wastewater levels up 50% two weeks ago and 100% last week...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
pleased to be thread title with my friends

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

NeonPunk posted:

5% of the total population is whole lot better than I expected. Maybe I've been wrong and allowing 5% of everyone to get all hosed up is not really all that bad since we get to return to normal life and enjoy our sysco appetizers at restaurants

One thing that continues to blow my mind. People are getting hosed up so they can eat at Dennys.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Friend who had never had covid reported allergies and a hoarse throat from talking all day at work. I felt their head and detected a fever. Gave them a Biden Test, popped positive immediately. Set them up with test2treat pax. Time to quarantine lol.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

One thing that continues to blow my mind. People are getting hosed up so they can eat at Dennys.

Well there are Denny's here but don't forget East Side Mario's and the award-winning Chinese-Canadian buffet at the Mandarin.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

NeonPunk posted:

5% of the total population is whole lot better than I expected. Maybe I've been wrong and allowing 5% of everyone to get all hosed up is not really all that bad since we get to return to normal life and enjoy our sysco appetizers at restaurants

Polio only paralyzed 1 in 200 to 1 in 2000 lol.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Had to take my daughter to the emergency room this morning for what turned out to be a broken leg and there was not a single mask in sight anywhere. Luckily there is an ER not attached to a hospital that’s always totally empty for some reason so we didn’t have to wait with a bunch of coughing people or anything but still just lol.

Also sucks because it makes it hard for me to convince my wife to mask at all when doctors don’t.

Thoguh has issued a correction as of 21:17 on Dec 16, 2023

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Strep Vote posted:

it's that time again

:siren: Test Your Polio Knowledge :siren:

• Asymptomatic rate: ~75%
  • Flu-like symptoms rate: 25%
  • Paralysis, meningitis, or paresthesia rate: ≤0.5%, or 1/200
  • Death Rate: ≤0.05%

• Post-Polio Syndrome rate: ≤0.2% (25-40% of people who experienced paralytic symptoms during acute illness)
  • Time until Post-Polio Syndrome manifests: 15-40 years

• # of deaths from Polio in worst year (1952): 3,145
  • # of disabled from Polio in worst year (1952): 21,269

sources:
https://www.cdc.gov/polio/what-is-polio/index.htm
https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pinkbook/polio.html
https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/magazine/centennial-infectious-diseases-pandemics/

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Hey all,

To give an update on my health and well-being, I went for a physical last month. Hr doubled my BP meds and everything else looked good but he thinks I might have diabetes because of being fat. he had no other solutions for my fatigue.

he threw my chart in the trash outside when talking about long COVID.

Also - COVID tongue looks like trash but med didn’t work so I should stop and urgent care, PCP, dentist all disagreed until I went t to an oral surgeon this week who put me on meds to treat any of the non cancer caused it could be and if that doesn’t work I have a biopsy in two weeks.

Meanwhile I fell asleep at my desk on Tuesday and scratched my head in an obivuous way.

I woke up Friday with my legs swollen and obviousl blood clots all over. doctor said it was cellulitis and sent me home with steroids and antibiotics (the same ones the oral surgeon would recommend later in day)

my legs are swollen and hot to the touch but hey at least my libido reappeared!

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

road potato posted:

Has there been an update since this article?

https://www.rutgers.edu/news/certain-mouthwashes-might-stop-covid-19-virus-transmission

Also, how much personal information does Test2treat gather, and what does it use to verify that info? I saw a bit about it reporting it to the local government, but if I wanted to pick some up for a friend, how would that work?

Or really, just to have it on hand in case there's a run on it in the small city where i live with wastewater levels up 50% two weeks ago and 100% last week...

i looked into that bit about data sharing more. when you go through it, there's a step where you're presented with four "i agree to the terms" checkboxes. three of them are required. but one of the four, which is something something hippa and data sharing bullshit, is not required. simply don't check that one and you'll be good to go, data won't be shared with anyone.

test2treat is veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery light on identity verification. i would go so far as to say they're almost intentionally awful at it. really all they do is send you an email o.O don't even need a pic of a positive test or your face or id.

so yeah. just don't click that hippa term box. have fun

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
what’s the hippa term box do

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

what’s the hippa term box do

from what i can tell: sends your phone number, name, home address, and suspected date of infection to your local public health department, if one exists. my friend who used it got a call from our local dept of public health a day or two after using it, they still asked stuff like how old are you, what's your ethnicity, etc., so i think the amount of data reported is relatively scant.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Strep Vote posted:

Yeah but being more tired and slightly dumber every year is a lot less visible and scary than paralysis.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Pillowpants posted:

Hey all,

To give an update on my health and well-being, I went for a physical last month. Hr doubled my BP meds and everything else looked good but he thinks I might have diabetes because of being fat. he had no other solutions for my fatigue.

Also - COVID tongue looks like trash but med didn’t work so I should stop and urgent care, PCP, dentist all disagreed until I went t to an oral surgeon this week who put me on meds to treat any of the non cancer caused it could be and if that doesn’t work I have a biopsy in two weeks.

Meanwhile I fell asleep at my desk on Tuesday and scratched my head in an obivuous way.

I woke up Friday with my legs swollen and obviousl blood clots all over. doctor said it was cellulitis and sent me home with steroids and antibiotics (the same ones the oral surgeon would recommend later in day)

:whitewater:

Hope that poo poo works and you start feeling better soon.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Pillowpants posted:

Hey all,

jesus christ, that's hosed, i really hope you're able to get the care you need :ohdear:

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

RandomBlue posted:

Yeah but being more tired and slightly dumber every year is a lot less visible and scary than paralysis.

That's not the point; the point is 5% of the entire population is huge when polio, our feared nemesis, was 0.5%to 0.05% of those infected. Yeah, it's invisible and that's the biggest problem.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Strep Vote posted:

That's not the point; the point is 5% of the entire population is huge when polio, our feared nemesis, was 0.5%to 0.05% of those infected. Yeah, it's invisible and that's the biggest problem.

The visibility is entirely the problem. If you can't see it, it doesn't exist.

You don't look sick.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

RandomBlue posted:

You don't look sick.

Oh, we were saying the same thing, lol.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Strep Vote posted:

Oh, we were saying the same thing, lol.

OH YEAN WELL I AGREE WITH YOU!!!!

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Rated PG-34 posted:

I look forward to buying the dog version of pax bc it’s cheaper in the not too distant future

Ordering some fish pax from Amazon. For my "fish"

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Pillowpants posted:

Hey all,

Hope you feel better soon PP.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

snip hey I hope you make a complete recovery soon, you got at least a few dozen posters rooting for you here.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Weekly Australia update

Detected cases in aged care (which I've been using as an indicator on the general situation) are still on the rise:

https://nitter.net/dbRaevn/status/1735547296669225367#m

Several of the largest states didn't update their hospitalization data this week so we don't know where that's sitting nationally

https://nitter.net/dbRaevn/status/1735549166548668429#m

Weekly Victoria covid surveillance: https://www.health.vic.gov.au/infectious-diseases/victorian-covid-19-surveillance-report

The wastewater variant report hasn't updated for over three weeks now so there's no telling how the variants are performing against each other

Snowglobe of Doom has issued a correction as of 23:17 on Dec 16, 2023

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Thoguh posted:

Had to take my daughter to the emergency room this morning for what turned out to be a broken leg and there was not a single mask in sight anywhere. Luckily there is an ER not attached to a hospital that’s always totally empty for some reason so we didn’t have to wait with a bunch of coughing people or anything but still just lol.

Also sucks because it makes it hard for me to convince my wife to mask at all when doctors don’t.

Hope she’s feeling better. we were in the same boat a couple months ago and the whole team of people resetting the bone were all wearing lead vests due to xray but no masks

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.
the X-rays kills the Covid this is simple science

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

U-DO Burger posted:

it's that time again

• Post-Polio Syndrome rate: ≤0.2% (25-40% of people who experienced paralytic symptoms during acute illness)

sources:
https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/magazine/centennial-infectious-diseases-pandemics/

thanks for this

poo poo is wild

I take it, since there is a sterilizing vaccine, that if you got polio and recovered/were asymptomatic, you didn’t get it again?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

pillowpants im sorry. I hope you get more help and feel better

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I really hope things improve for you, Pillowpants

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

pillowpants im sorry. I hope you get more help and feel better

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022

Thoguh posted:

Pillowpants posted:

Hey all,

Sorry that all of this is happening, hoping everyone heals and gets some relief from all this hellworld bleakness

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

thanks for this

poo poo is wild

I take it, since there is a sterilizing vaccine, that if you got polio and recovered/were asymptomatic, you didn’t get it again?

there are apparently three different variants of polio, and an infection from one variant will provide lifelong protection, but only against that variant

"The WHO posted:

Poliovirus infection can provide lifelong immunity against the disease, but this protection is limited to the particular type of poliovirus involved (Type 1, 2, or 3). Infection with one type does not protect an individual against infection with the other two types.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

a relative who works in a hospital said they're bringing masks back for staff on his floor because of high flu and rsv rates. good for them!

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

I'm so sorry Pillowpants. I hope things start going better for you and they find some treatments that work.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

U-DO Burger posted:

it's that time again

sources:

Thanks for this, this is super convenient for throwing at people. It's absolutely wild what's been normalized.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

RandomBlue posted:

You don't look sick.

Speaking of which I found out this morning via a mutual friend that a co-worker of mine has bad CFS after getting COVID last January and is hiding it at work because she's afraid she'll get fired. Like she sleeps 12 hours most days and can barely wake up and sometimes has to find a conference room without windows to crash out in at lunchtime so no one sees her pass out bad.

I loving hate this poo poo man

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Pillowpants posted:

Hey all,

Have you asked your doctor about Metformin? It has helped my energy levels a little bit.

I still think enteric nattokinase is helpful. I get Doctor's Best Natto/Serra. Their regular natto bottle is not enteric.

Beyond that, I just rest a lot. Doesn't feel like there's much more you can do beyond rest more than you think you need.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

world is a gently caress

get better/stay healthy goons

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

U-DO Burger posted:

it's that time again

sources:

this polio thing sure sounds mild, must be endemic

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Malgrin posted:

Have you asked your doctor about Metformin? It has helped my energy levels a little bit.

I still think enteric nattokinase is helpful. I get Doctor's Best Natto/Serra. Their regular natto bottle is not enteric.

Beyond that, I just rest a lot. Doesn't feel like there's much more you can do beyond rest more than you think you need.

sorry I was typing and falling asleep during typing. my A1C was fine I don’t have it. he was just calling me fat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.

Pillowpants posted:

sorry I was typing and falling asleep during typing. my A1C was fine I don’t have it. he was just calling me fat.

12 years ago when I dropped from 320 to 170 lbs, drs visits changed dramatically. anything I said was a serious concern and drs did everything they could.

and now that I’m fat again from depression/alcohol I’m back to getting for tests. gl you are a good poster and hope it continues