Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

It is very much possible to get malware (or malware-like objects, at least) from steam.

Even Capcom can do it!.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Yvershek posted:

Any recommendations for games with destructible environments? I'm thinking more along the line of Xcom: Apocalypse, Silent Storm, and the Red Faction series.
While it doesn't have the cool collapsing physics like RFG or even Apoc, the new XCOM 2 does have very generously destructible buildings. Blowing up the enemies' cover is a key part in winning the fights, so you'll be leaving smoking ruins after you as a matter of course.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Whens the last time you played? They added more control options a while back.

You can even adjust the game speed now.
Way back in Early Access, I'll check it out.

Edit: Oh poo poo they added screen-absolute controls. In my cart and at the checkout as I type.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Ranking of Spreadsheet Games
#18 of 31

FTL
http://store.steampowered.com/app/212680/

FTL is one of the forerunners in bringing roguelike and roguelike inspired games to popularity which makes sense when it is of the quality of past roguelikes while bringing an entirely different set of minute to minute gameplay. You must manage a ship as it travels through the various sectors of space to warn your superiors of a coming threat from the evil enemy. Your responses to events get you some of any of the consumables and currencies or get you into fights where you must manage your different sub systems to minimize risk and come out the other side only slightly damaged.

Your ship must be supplied to use its most interesting features. And maybe less obviously it must be crewed for the stations to actually do their job. Keeping yourself in fuel, missiles, scrap, and crewmembers is an exercise in rationing and also playing your cards right during events and ship to ship fights, as well as canvassing as many jump points as is reasonable and safe.

The systems in play are relatively simple. In combat there is a bit of stuff like simple algebra to understand how to get through a shield system with your current weapon loadout. There is a finite amount of power at any given time and choosing power distribution can be a bit of a trick of algebra as well. But it is all fairly apparent shortly after the word go.

Effective playing quickly becomes dependent on rules of thumb to help manage your resources. Whether your combat strategy, your path snaked through the sectors, or your purchasing decisions, you are constantly choosing what is the less of several evils to help keep your ship safe-ish, your crew largely alive, while maximizing your stockpiles of resources. It is all manageable enough to learn by experience but there is this super dumb flowchart if you are mentally ill or something.

For better or worse there is a lot of chance to mitigate in this game. Events often have some choices to make and maybe too often have every specific right choices because the wrong choice has a small chance of a completely crippling outcome. More pleasantly, combat is often centered on hit chances which feeds back into determinations like using missile ammo to decisively end a fight before your dodge chance comes up failed. Like the roguelikes of past, the game focuses on knowing the chances of events from past experience or spoilers and loading the dice to come up positive enough of the time and to be able to soak up the negatives with stockpiled resources.

Contrary to the dumb flowchart, there is merely a lot of info presented in a very manageable way. In each run events and equipment are trickled at a learnable rate. If it ever seems overwhelming it is because the game is best played off the cuff by learning some rules of thumb yourself and not combing over ledgers of data or spoilers. In that way it is the perfect amount of data to want to comb through in your head-spreadsheet and you can forego the computer-spreadsheet unless you think that dumb flowchart needs a better successor.

FTL remains one of the best recommendations to people looking to get into roguelikes. It is the manageable sort of mechanics-obscuring which means you can and should learn the game yourself instead of combing over spoilers like some of the grungier roguelikes of the past. The events end up being the weakest aspect for even the self flagellating roguelike fanatics because it is the dullest bit of gameplay but can have effects with surprising magnitude. The ship combat and resource management more than make up for it to make it a classic example of the sort of data rich and probability driven gameplay that makes roguelikes awesome.

(summary)

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Deformed Church posted:

It is very much possible to get malware (or malware-like objects, at least) from steam.

Even Capcom can do it!.
It's pretty drat hard to fight incompetence.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Fart of Presto posted:

It's pretty drat hard to fight incompetence.
as far as street fight incompetence though, capcom is king

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
I got a copy of Total War Warhammer with the second GMG bundle I bought today.. The rest of the games were the same as the first tho. Here are codes.

TIDALIS STEAM: P6NXN-285WI-9XVNW

SPACE MOTH DX STEAM: 6KPCK-VR5WM-AM3LW

VAMPIRE OF THE SANDS STEAM: JCB5M-X2QWI-8IRVE

CORPORATE LIFESTYLE SIMULATOR STEAM: 7TE9L-YMKE8-AMJ06

VIRTUAL ROGUE STEAM: PB03I-703RL-N5QBR

HORDELICIOUS STEAM: IJ3RC-399QN-J3M99

THREE DEAD ZED STEAM: LKEZJ-457L8-4X59F

TOWERS WARS STEAM: NAH0T-JAK6Y-IYAVB

SKARA STARTER PACKAGE STEAM: Q7AAZ-2LLQQ-AGJDQ

and another one showed up in my email

CORPORATE LIFESTYLE SIMULATOR STEAM: 7EDAK-86FPQ-JTAKL

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

bad day posted:

CORPORATE LIFESTYLE SIMULATOR
Ta. "Very Positive" reviews, huh.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

bad day posted:

I got a copy of Total War Warhammer with the second GMG bundle I bought today.. The rest of the games were the same as the first tho. Here are codes.

Total War: Warhammer is my personal GOTY. I can already tell it's going to be one of those games I play for a few hundred hours every year.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Could people who did the monthly write-ups link their final entries in the thread (or anybody else who saved those)? I want to put those links in the Steam (and other distribution platforms) X-Mas Sale's OP. Thanks!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Palpek posted:

Could people who did the monthly write-ups link their final entries in the thread (or anybody else who saved those)? I want to put those links in the Steam (and other distribution platforms) X-Mas Sale's OP. Thanks!

Last page, but better safe than sorry:

Xander77 posted:

Final HOGs

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
And once again, thanks to everyone who do these write-ups.

It's really great to have good short reviews of a lot of different stuff to talk about, especially to break up the Steam Cycle talk when we go through that for the nth time in a month :)

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Palpek posted:

Tower Defense July

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Palpek posted:

Steam X-Mas Sale

When is that supposed to start? I haven't seen any of the usual leaks. Maybe I just missed them.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
This Thursday, supposedly.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Yup, the 22nd. Prepare your credit scores.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Jamfrost posted:

Yup, the 22nd. Prepare your credit scores.

Do people really go hard for sales anymore? Ever since they stopped doing dailies and flash deals it's gotten very dull.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I'm glad flash sales are gone. I don't need to worry about obsessively checking the store page every 4/6/8/12 hours.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
I am very happy with my new steam approach of: if theres a game I want to play, right now, I will buy it. If there's a game that I'm thinking of playing at some stage, I don't buy it.
I spend a lot less on games now!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Grapplejack posted:

Do people really go hard for sales anymore? Ever since they stopped doing dailies and flash deals it's gotten very dull.

The sales haven't gotten dull. You've just bought everything.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Deformed Church posted:

Even Capcom can do it!.

This is several months old but it's bad enough to warrant pointing and laughing again. capcom is not a small company.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Grapplejack posted:

I just want some kind of mini-game again. I don't miss the whole chasing the deal thing. Plus, refunds have saved me a good chunk of change instead of being stuck with a bad buy, so it balances out with the "not as steep discounts until much later situation."

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Grapplejack posted:

I need Subnautica, man. I'm hyped for this sale.

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax

Grapplejack posted:

Yes? Having flash sales on top of sales was bizarre from a business viewpoint, since it disincentivized people from buying immediately.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Palpek posted:

When/If I manage to finish them.

EDIT: On that note, I should have a double entry tonight.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
There are so many different websites offering sales nowadays that Steam sales are just one amongst many. So as with all of them I might buy something if it's cheap enough or I might not, it's not a huge deal either way.

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks to the abolishment of flash sales I don't have to worry about sleeping in too long or whatever the gently caress because OH GOD WHAT I MISS A GOOD DEEEAAAAAALLLLL and instead just settle into a nice routine of "buy the stuff I immediately want immediately, buy gifts for friends whenever, maybe buy other games if I feel like it, do whatever stupid daily thing gives me cards." Less stressful and less harmful on the wallet too.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Grapplejack posted:

I've calmed down on them an awful lot since i realized there are very few games that are actually worth your while that you won't already have bought in another sale/at launch and Goon recommendations need to be taken with a mountain of salt.

That "quirky"/"cool" little indie thing you've never heard of that 4 or 5 people in-thread are saying is great? It's more than likely mediocre at best.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ikari Worrier posted:

Thanks to the abolishment of flash sales I don't have to worry about sleeping in too long or whatever the gently caress because OH GOD WHAT I MISS A GOOD DEEEAAAAAALLLLL

lol at anyone who sacrificed sleep for the chance for an additional 5 dollar discount on a video game

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

awesmoe posted:

I am very happy with my new steam approach of: if theres a game I want to play, right now, I will buy it. If there's a game that I'm thinking of playing at some stage, I don't buy it.
I spend a lot less on games now!

This is a good approach.

The reason a lot of peoples backlog is so big is they buy a bunch of stuff they "might" play some day but in reality they probably don't even really want it.

It's the digital equivalent of hoarding and is just as stupid and gross as the real life thing.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I found the flash sales to be fun and provide me with a reason to visit steam on a regular basis.

I recognise that the current system is probably better from a consumer perspective but its a lot less fun.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Jordan7hm posted:

I found the flash sales to be fun and provide me with a reason to visit steam on a regular basis.

I recognise that the current system is probably better from a consumer perspective but its a lot less fun.

Vis....it?

You mean you just don't leave Steam on all the time? :confused:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Mokinokaro's Month of Conquest

Stretching into a second month due to real life commitments, but this train isn't stopping yet!

Previously
1st and 2nd: Age of Wonders 3 and Endless Legend Review post
3rd: Satellite Reign Review post
4th: Nexus: the Jupiter Incident Review post
5th: Act of Aggression Review post
6th: 8-bit Hordes and 8-bit Armies Jump to post
7th: Battlefleet Gothic Armada Review post
8th: Rise of Nations Review post
9th: Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War 2 (+expansions) Review post
10th: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Review Post
11th and 12th: Homeworld: Remastered Collection[url] and [url=http://store.steampowered.com/app/281610/]Homeworld Deserts of Kharak

Homeworld is simply a classic. From the amazing soundtrack, the great art, smartly designed missions to the epic story, every element of the game just comes together in a way that's drat near perfect.

It's actually very hard to summarize my feelings on Homeworld 1 in a format suitable for these reviews; I just love everything about it. It's a true PC RTS classic. One of the first true 3D RTS games since it's set completely in space where the z-axis matters as much as X and Y.

Honestly, though I could gush about the game all day, but instead I'll go back to my childhood and mention that it really is the little details that make the game: harvesters coming and going from their dockings ports, salvage corvettes dragging a victim towards your mothership so it can be repurposed for your own fleet. the endless radio chatter of your units (that usually has appropriate context,) etc. If Homeworld has one defining trait above all, it's the atmosphere.

Homeworld 2 is...different. Gameplay-wise it's mostly a polished improvement with much more distinct factions than HW1 had, but the game was made when Sierra was having financial hardships and massively pared down from the original plans and it shows. The story is a fairly generic "prophecy fulfilled" tale, though told decently. The problem is that it's only a small piece of the story they'd planned and you can tell.

Some people also don't like some of the lost features from when HW1 was ported to the HW2 engine, primarily strike craft used to have limited fuel and formations. While the former hasn't returned (which is probably a good thing considering they put all 4 factions together in the MP,) I'm happy to say that Gearbox actually did make a huge patch that brought back the latter. Still, for those who absolutely want to experience the first game as it was originally intended, there is a version included with the Remastered collection. HW2, on the other hand, is identical save a bit of a graphics touch up.

Deserts of Kharak on the other hand, is a fairly different beast though great in its own way. Kharak was made by Blackbird Interactive, a small studio formed from much of the original HW team after THQ laid them off (man, Relic's had it rough with publishers haven't they?)

Set years before the events of HW1, DoK is a prequel set on the world of Kharak, a dying planet that has become mostly desert. It stars a survey team trekking across said sands to retrieve an artifact that could be the salvation of their entire species. However, the desert brings its own dangers, primarily from a sect of religious fanatics who believe any attempts to leave Kharak would result in dooming everyone.

DoK moves the combat to land but keeps most of the homeworld flavor. Giant land carriers replace motherships and most other units have space equivalents. What it chiefly does new are how you gain your resources (primarily from exploding crashed spaceships into pieces your harvesters can handle) and that your carrier isn't helpless in the least; it's a mobile weapons platform all its own and the backbone of your forces.

All in all, it's got a very solid and entertaining 12 mission campaign with a decent story and, like its predecessor (is that the right word when this is technically a prequel?) really does an amazing job with the atmosphere.

Unfortunately, the multiplayer isn't very active. Blackbird's forums and Discord channel organize matches/tournaments every so often however. For this reason, I recommend against grabbing the two MP DLC factions unless you plan to skirmish a lot.

For the rest of these reviews, I'll likely do another double in the next couple days then a final post of the last 4 to get things done by Xmas (with perhaps a few honorable mentions afterwards.) Should time allow, I might do a short RPG list for January as well.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Dec 18, 2016

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Jordan7hm posted:

:agreed:

I look at the first day and go welp nothing I want, peace out c-ya in another 3 months. At least rotating sales are interesting to check back on. I can't say the current system is worse, its better, but it's just more boring

I usually buy most AAA games on sale from GMG at launch since its still cheaper than a lot of Steam sales anyways

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

spudsbuckley posted:

This is a good approach.

The reason a lot of peoples backlog is so big is they buy a bunch of stuff they "might" play some day but in reality they probably don't even really want it.

It's the digital equivalent of hoarding and is just as stupid and gross as the real life thing.

I'm at a point where I only buy things I'm going to play within a few days of purchase - and by play I don't necessary mean play-until-I-finish, but at least play for a few hours and enjoy. This way my backlog becomes a list of games I want to commit to and finish, and the hoarding happens in my wishlist, which is far safer and fun for window-shopping.

Like most other media I consume, I like to hop from thing to thing, so having a plethora of things I can dip into before going back to something that'll take a lot of time is good, and enjoyable!

I'm really happy the flash sales have been phased out, as it makes shopping far less stressful, and gives me time to waffle on things and research them before I pull the trigger. It's how I talked myself into getting Dungeonmans last year near the end of the sale, and that game has been worth more than fifty hours of enjoyment for me!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I wish they had those "win 10 games from your wishlist" lotteries. Winning change was negligible but at least it was more exciting than a random badge. I presume handling legal parts of 170 different ways countries regulate lotteries might have been too much hassle (and using achievements as tickets was a bad idea).

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Tippis posted:

THIS IS A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT.

Do not buy Astroneer. I did, and now it's suddenly 6 hours later and I'm hungry and dehydrated and my base is a mess. It may be janky and early access, but it is also impossible to quit until you get dizzy and fall out of your chair.

:science:

Are there any shooty parts? The videos make it look fairly slow/safe/chill exploration. I'm hoping for something more like Terraria where death lurks everywhere and crazy giant bosses can be awoken.

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax

Xaris posted:

:agreed:

I look at the first day and go welp nothing I want, peace out c-ya in another 3 months.
Steam sales are now targeted at a wider and more casual audience, rather than people who read threads like this one and have a large updated wishlist. Using the discovery queue is encouraged, and you have an entire week (two weeks?) to find and buy new games. Kind of a natural result of having a million games on offer.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Sloppy posted:

Are there any shooty parts? The videos make it look fairly slow/safe/chill exploration. I'm hoping for something more like Terraria where death lurks everywhere and crazy giant bosses can be awoken.

No shooting. Although I've just run across a plant monster that looks very much like the regular, non-monster plants, but which skewers you with spikes if you get too close. Very sneaky.

So far, the threats are: storms that bash your head in with flying debris, plants that spit poison at you if you get close, plants that explode in poison clouds if you are careless when you dig after their juicy roots (which contain all the good materials), plants with spikes, and long falls and having something fall on your head because you didn't learn from Minecraft never to dig straight up or straight down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I'm glad flash sales are gone. I don't need to worry about obsessively checking the store page every 4/6/8/12 hours.
I still end up buying games every 12 hours anyway

• Locked thread