Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shaggar posted:

why would it be easier in canada?

also ML for core medical decision making is always going to be sketchy both because of the black box nature and the total non existence of quality training data. its mostly a way to avoid having to document SOP in the first place. Instead of science based rules you write down in detail, you just create a black box trained on the garbage in existing EHRs. Its not totally worthless, but I would never in a million years trust that it doesnt miss loads of problems

the problem here is that you can say that ML is used constantly every day in life critical health applications because “machine learning” is actually insanely broad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
see table reproduced here

https://blog.revolutionanalytics.com/2009/09/the-difference-between-statistics-and-machine-learning.html

the implicature is that the difference is superficial but in fact it is the extension of a total lack of computational competence in the stats peeps. no serious nn research has been done in R, and i saw one of his grad school minions having to teach tibshirani what javascript was w my own fuckin eyes

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 24, 2023

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

mediaphage posted:

lol how’s a new crypto coin going to do anything to tell the difference between humans and non-human content. what’s preventing a human from loaning its id or more likely faking it in the first place

also loving lol at giving a private crypto company my goddamned iris scan

I've been assuming the ORB digitally signs its iris scans and they're going to create a combination of physical security and chain of trust so you can be certain that an iris scan came from an ORB in the custody of worldcoin representatives scanning a real human's iris

or at least that's the plan. plus everything else wrong with launching a new coin in 2023

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i think ai is techniques invented in the last 10 years, machine learning is things invented 10-20 years ago, and statistics is things invented more than 20 years ago

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
backprop was invented reagan admin

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

hobbesmaster posted:

the problem here is that you can say that ML is used constantly every day in life critical health applications because “machine learning” is actually insanely broad

yeah anyway once again i should point out that this is academic research looking at health outcomes i’m talking about not building some robot doctor that you press a button and get a diagnosis

this product results in papers published in public health journals not a product sold to medical professionals

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

bob dobbs is dead posted:

right, it's a classical statistics technique

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Eeyo posted:

i think ai is techniques invented in the last 10 years, machine learning is things invented 10-20 years ago, and statistics is things invented more than 20 years ago

CNNs are dead tech abandoned and now resurrected after available compute power and memory exploded relative to the 70s(60s?)

There's some new stuff, but even that isn't so much foundationally new as new applications. GANs are basically taking one fuckoff huge NN and then making another fuckoff huge NN to determine whether something was made by a NN or not, then cyclically feeding them into each other. RNNs take the output of some CNN layer and shove it back as input to some earlier layer.

The foundational boxes themselves aiui haven't really changed a whole lot.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i thought that was bootstrapping

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
both

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

mediaphage posted:

larger quantities of high quality centralized medical records thanks to public healthcare. you still have to go through clean up but there’s a lot of very good data

and this isn’t about making something make all the decisions for you, it’s more about elevating causes you might miss because your patient has six illnesses. i’m speaking specifically about its use in easing diagnostic burdens in multimorbidity cases.

ya researchers love denmark for our health records

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

posted it before but oldjob spent a fortune on the Salesforce field level border encryption for sensitive fields and the sales guys just put all the sensitive info in the notes section that was unencrypted

Hahaha

Shaggar posted:

guess how 10000 employee provider orgs who spend a billion dollars a year on their EHRs handle the same problem? you'll be amazed!

Shocking!

My current contractor job has me doing CAD work designing things for heavy wash equipment, and the very tiny 3 person small business trying to figure out an inventory system. At some point they had some software package, that I cannot remember the name of, that required them to call up the company to pay for changes. Currently everything is in excel, so I'm filling out spare part fields and updating a huge master file before emailing it back to my boss haha.

Earlier chat about 4k displays reminded me of what a piece of poo poo Autocad is at doing anything in 4k and how busted the scaling is in that program.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

fusion360... kinda... sorta... works on high DPI displays

like certain parts of the UI will still render like it's lower for some reason, and occasionally it just forgets you have that setting on entirely after an update and you have to go into the options to turn it back on, but it functions i guess

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

mediaphage posted:

larger quantities of high quality centralized medical records thanks to public healthcare

lol thats not how that works

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

mediaphage posted:

i’m talking about not building some robot doctor that you press a button and get a diagnosis

i work for one of the biggest medical companies in the world and boy have i got some information for you

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Like the reason the doc puts everything into the notes field is because hes a lazy piece of poo poo and doesnt think he should have to do it right, not because the fields dont exist or he hasnt been told how to do it correctly.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Shaggar posted:

Like the reason the doc puts everything into the notes field is because hes a lazy piece of poo poo and doesnt think he should have to do it right, not because the fields dont exist or he hasnt been told how to do it correctly.

this is correct, almost all doctors, especially the more specialized they are, are completely full of themselves

doctor strange is more accurate than you think

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Mr. Crow posted:

this is correct, almost all doctors, especially the more specialized they are, are completely full of themselves

doctor strange is more accurate than you think

doctor strange eventually learns there's things more important than him in the universe which doesn't happen to most doctors even after they try to climb a tree backwards in their 911 turbo

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

qirex posted:

doctor strange eventually learns there's things more important than him in the universe which doesn't happen to most doctors even after they try to climb a tree backwards in their 911 turbo

being in a car crash didn't humble strange, having his soul punted out of his body into an acid trip by tilda swinton did

shame she doesn't have enough spare time to do this for all the doctors

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

infernal machines posted:

reportedly he got that name for losing a posting challenge, it was the worst thing they could think of

drat so yospos doesn't even get a relationship buff with him like if the pope is from your country in Crusader Kings.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Shaggar posted:

doctors want every single field to be a space they can freely doodle in. my medical records have a page that has all the fields blank except for this:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

my condolences on your miscarriage

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Mr. Crow posted:

i work for one of the biggest medical companies in the world and boy have i got some information for you

pass

i specifically said i’m not talking about that. i’m talking about basic research

Shaggar posted:

lol thats not how that works

that’s fine i’ll listen to the researchers who actually work with this poo poo and know what they’re talking about over the tech bro on the internet. there’s a lot of high quality data available here. see above how people go for denmark for the same reason

there’s a lot more to the data than just whatever scribbles a doctor may or may not write down on a notepad in your file

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jul 24, 2023

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

im sorry for your loss

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

haveblue posted:

god DAMMIT

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

so close

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

haveblue posted:

being in a car crash didn't humble strange, having his soul punted out of his body into an acid trip by tilda swinton did

shame she doesn't have enough spare time to do this for all the doctors

LSD is supposed to have that effect on people.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

leper khan posted:

LSD is supposed to have that effect on people.

he never came back from the trip he went on after dropping acid during med school

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Sweevo posted:

doctors want every single field to be a space they can freely doodle in. my medical records have a page that has all the fields blank except for this:

haveblue posted:

:thurman:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

mediaphage posted:

pass

i specifically said i’m not talking about that. i’m talking about basic research

that’s fine i’ll listen to the researchers who actually work with this poo poo and know what they’re talking about over the tech bro on the internet. there’s a lot of high quality data available here. see above how people go for denmark for the same reason

there’s a lot more to the data than just whatever scribbles a doctor may or may not write down on a notepad in your file

then great we dont need AI!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

jesus christ

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
old doctors retiring will have more to do with improvements in healthcare data than just about anything else. its laughable to think "public healthcare" is the reason for improvements when the US government spends more than any country in the world on healthcare and utterly fails in quality at every level because CMS is an incompetent organization.

the VA health system is probably the closest thing the US operates to a totally nationalized health system and its currently going through a horrible migration off an in house EHR system to a new EHR (oracle lol) and its going about as well as you'd expect. They're hitting all the same problems private provider networks run into with implementation only worse because if how massively more fragmented the current system is.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

go off king

that has literally nothing to do with what i was talking about so just enjoy arguing with the imaginary picture you created i guess

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Ibm watson solves this

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

mediaphage: "AI applications (and stats stuff) need data. to be useful data needs to be labeled. countries with centralized public health care tend to have data that is easier to ingest. denmark is an example of this, and its health data is frequently preferred due to its high quality categorization."

i dont know how shaggar can miss the point this completely and aggressively, but here we are

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Nah EHR legitimately sucks. My wife is a (fairly tech-savvy) optometrist and she says EHR jankiness often adds two unpaid hours to her day. She's used several different EHR systems and they all lack basic features. I was chatting with some of her optometry friends, and one of them was complaining that her EHR is so laggy that it will take five actual seconds to select a new field, and each patient has dozens of mandatory fields. A ton of her friends, despite being new grads, are already trying to leave the field because of the combo of increasing corporatization of the field (and resulting increased workloads) + extremely frustrating charting.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

mediaphage posted:

go off king

that has literally nothing to do with what i was talking about so just enjoy arguing with the imaginary picture you created i guess

The biggest problem is quality data collection, NOT automated suggestions which can be done today already without AI if you have quality data.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
denmark doesnt have materially better collection. canada doesnt either. none of it is actually good because data entry gets worse the richer the peep doing it

the problem is fundamental, inasmuch as its enterprise software. you would need to purge the epic and oracle and such from the sector and start off with something where the peeps using it are the peeps allocating the money

"oracle works in this sector and its not hosed" - an absolutely ludicrous statement

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jul 24, 2023

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Mr. Crow posted:

Ibm watson solves this

you've been diagnosed with a visible ruler on your biopsy. i'm afraid it's terminal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
again the ultimate problem with EHRs is they're designed around what the administrators and doctors think they want rather than whats medically necessary just like every enterprise software system.

This is a place where CMS should be defining coding systems and procedural standards that would result in minimum requirements for all providers. Doctors would loving hate it because they dont like being told what to do, but it would give you more consistent outcomes and better data for large scale ingestion.