Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
He probably got it from "Althena"

Or one of her agents. He is after all, one of her priests (in a way).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.
It does make sense if it were one of the Chosen, though - Zophar took over the group from within so it would probably behove him to have up and coming stars of the Chosen bending to his will. So it wouldn't be too odd for Ronfar to go asking the church about anything that could heal his lady-love and someone saying 'Oh, yeah, there's this... potion... I 'made' that might help.'

What I want to know is how in the devil Leo knew it was Zophar's blood? He's only new to the whole 'Goddess isn't the Goddess, omg, and some dude name Z is in charge?!?!?' club so he hasn't had much time to really dig out the details on Zophar and what he might be able to do. It's rather odd that suddenly he knows this random potion from way back was really Zophar's blood, and if he knew before-hand, then how did he not put two and two together about it and her reactions as a leader of the Chosen (and thus the Chosen not being a good thing)?

>.<;

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
This is Leo we're talking about....

He probably dressed up like Mystere and went Rorshach on some Chosen for information.

I would imagine that "Why did my sister, er lady I don't really know, go from kind to bat-poo poo crazy" would be on his list of questions.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
How did his blood happen to cure horrible diseases, instead of being the cause, and its side effect is mind control? It has to be the same stuff from Temple of Doom.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
You know who could solve this problem? Jian. :smug: He solves all problems.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Darth TNT posted:

You know who could solve this problem? Jian. :smug: He solves all problems.

Jian solves problems the way genocide solves overpopulation.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Maybe Zophar is a frequent donor at the local Black Cross and Ronfar knows a guy.

I mean, it could happen.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Scalding Coffee posted:

How did his blood happen to cure horrible diseases, instead of being the cause, and its side effect is mind control? It has to be the same stuff from Temple of Doom.

Two easy solutions. One, the plague was also caused by Zophar, and what he started he can stop. Two, Zophar's just that powerful: when he's literally been imbued into someone's body he has a very high degree of control over what happens to them.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
That just makes it sound more horrifying, like it's a Mauri-shaped bag of Zophar's blood or Zophar is the Thing or something. :stare:

Yeah...I prefer to think he's speaking poetically, not literally. Bad bargain, that kind of thing.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Just think of it as like drinking Christ's blood, but evil.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
I dunno, it all seems to check out to me.

Chosen are turning evil, one of them unleashes a plague that can only be "cured" with a faustian potion made of SatanJuice that turns you evil as poo poo.
After taking that deal, Ronfar gives up on life and slinks off to booze, while Leo is just glad to have his sister back.
Once Mauri's evil is presented to Leo, he starts doing his own investigation into what the gently caress is wrong with his sister.
Meanwhile, she decides to start pulling the same poo poo that turned her bad, and inducting more members of the cult of Zophar.
Since Leo is technically a BBEG, and is also pretty drat high-ranking in the church, he quickly traces down the "cure" that mauri was given, and realizes the terrible truth.
He confronts Mystere for info on the party, finding out what they are up to, since Leo is definitely not Mystere.
Scene.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Mauri actually drank concentrated melodrama and this is just how it manifested. It's a potent thing - changes to be whatever the scene needs and alters the minds of those around it to produce maximum drama.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Psion posted:

Mauri actually drank concentrated melodrama and this is just how it manifested. It's a potent thing - changes to be whatever the scene needs and alters the minds of those around it to produce maximum drama.

Concentrated melodrama is the single most dangerous substance in the entire RPG genre.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Crowetron posted:

Concentrated melodrama is the single most dangerous substance in the entire RPG genre.

Don't know if she's the one who established the batshit insane fire princess archetype, but Mauri existed as a character at least 15 years before Azula. Take that A:TLA!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Pretty sure Zhou Yu started the archetype.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Mauri's a priestess, though, not a princess. At least, I don't remember her ever being mentioned as being royalty.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
It occurs to me that Lunar is one of the few JRPG series that never have any royalty. At least, I can't think of anyone off the top of my head that was a king or queen or a princess.

(Dragon Song doesn't count and you know it)

EDIT:

Kind of a non-sequential, but I can't believe I didn't bring this up before.

Crowetron posted:

Yeah, this random person has a letter from this arc's central character that explains her mental state and is totally missable, why wouldn't he?

I checked Lunar-net again, and apparently this letter isn't in the Japanese version at all. Make of that what you will.

Camel Pimp fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Feb 15, 2015

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Camel Pimp posted:

It occurs to me that Lunar is one of the few JRPG series that never have any royalty. At least, I can't think of anyone off the top of my head that was a king or queen or a princess.

(Dragon Song doesn't count and you know it)

EDIT:

Kind of a non-sequential, but I can't believe I didn't bring this up before.

I checked Lunar-net again, and apparently this letter isn't in the Japanese version at all. Make of that what you will.

To be fair, this is a world where everyone assumes Althena hangs about with mortals and has full say in pretty much everything. It'd be kind of silly to put in a king and expect them to defer to someone else when it comes to, you know, RULING. Governance, yeah, but carving out a kingdom would probably be seen as insolence at best and blasphemy at worst.

And yeah, that letter really seems like something haphazardly added in, since it doesn't make a lot of sense when you think about it. Evil-Mauri seems to have full control except for very brief instances. I highly doubt she'd lose control long enough for Good-Mauri to write out a paragraph or two's worth of words, then walk out and casually hand it to someone. It could always be Evil-M running a ploy of some sort, but it seems unlikely.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Whoa, when did this thread go Gold?! Thanks so much, you guys! Looks like it's about time for another update.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Episode 62: Doomeguy

Something fucky is afoot in the town of Raculi, and it looks like Mauri might just be at the center of it.

It's up to us to head to the hell church at Serak Palace and deal out some JUSTICE

Music ~ Growing Fear
Acceptable Alternative

: "Why does everything the Chosen build always look so spooky?"

: "In retrospect, we probably should've seen this 'front for an evil cult' thing coming years ago."

I have a hunch we're in the right place.

same, tbh

Kill God, hail Satan, yadda yadda yadda, we get it.

I always thought it was weird how extradimensional hell-beasts bothered with mind control or whatever. Mitochondria Eve didn't need hearts and minds, she just burned fuckers into goo and knocked herself up. Show some initiative ZOPHAR!

Everyone else is possessed by evil blood and there's just one dude blitzed out of his mind in the corner having a fuckin' blast.

:twisted: Luckily, you can afford to skimp on the healing here, since we don't have a real challenge waiting for us. I hope you guys like gimmick fights!

Welp, that confirms our suspicions, but we can't get past this lady. Guess we'll have to find another passage.

Like this one!

oh poo poo

Most of the baddies here are nothing to write home about, but the Blyzzers are just as annoying as their differently colored cousins we've seen in the past. They're stupid fast and like to use their 'hit-everyone' attack right away, so they could be a problem if you don't prioritize them.

Hey, let's try Concussion Sword!

It sucks! Apparently it has a chance to instakill foes, but mostly it just pisses away Hiro's MP.

Luckily, Lucia is there to bail out her kinda-sorta not boyfriend.

And Lemina gets a fancy new hair piece! Stealing from churches is awesome!

Oddly enough, this is also for Lemina. You'd think a PSYCHO Gauntlet would be great for an assassin who punches yetis to death, but no. Give it to the mage, who cares.

Jean's got a Psycho Crusher of her own already.

Levels for everyone! Look, I know a bunch of numbers may not seems very interesting, but THESE numbers are getting bigger, which is the absolute most important thing.

Free hats

Alright, I know a teleporter when I see one. If this leads to some sort of warping maze, I will be very upset with you, Lunar 2!

Oh, it's just a teleporter to the next area. Thanks, Lunar 2, I knew I could trust you.

And it even gives us some gear for Jean!

More goodies. I'll have to trek back through the dungeon to get those other two things, though. At least the enemies don't respawn!

And robes for Ronfar mean everyone has gotten at least one upgrade in this place. Not bad.

Sooner or later, we reach our goal.

Music ~ The Blue Spire

Man, plot treasure looks WAY fancier than normal treasure.

: "Cool, so how does this work? Do we cast a spell on it? Pray to it? Smash it on the ground?"

: "I bet we're s'posed to rub in on stuff! Like holy soap!"

: "We do not do any of those things!"

: "Whatta name dropper, am I right guys?"

: "Shield my eyes? From what? A little sparkly thi--"

: "HOLY gently caress"

: "In the name of Lucia of the Blue Star...I command Althena's power within this jewel! Be released and clear the darkness from before us!"

Althena does not gently caress around with status effects

Alright, now we can head back to the entrance and find Mauri!

All the ramblers and madmen have been returned to normal. Good to know that light show wasn't just for funsies.

: "'Zar..doz'? What kind of name is 'Zardoz'?"

I will now include the following dialogue exactly as it appears in game, because you would not believe me otherwise.

: "...what."

Anyway, the lady next to the Althena statue has moved, so we can pass through.

And we walk right into a cutscene!

: "Now you shall decide if you toil for good or evil."

: "Leo? W-what are you saying? I don't understand...I...I'm scared..."

: "Silence! I shall not be manipulated into a position of weakness by your act! Your pathetic attempt to gain my pity should shame you, Mauri."

Was the power of Althena's Aura successful? Will Ronfar stop Leo from making a grave decision? Was I forced to cut this update short due to the huge amount of plot that happens right after the previous cutscene?!

All this and more will be answered on the next episode of Lunar 2: The Magical Misadventures of Mystere!

note: mystere not guaranteed to appear

Crowetron fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 17, 2015

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Grats on the gold, but it would be even better if the thread could have a dragon diamond rating!

*votes 1*

not actually voting 1

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Crowetron posted:

EDIT: PLEASE HOLD

which dungeon music is your least favorite? That's the hold music you should be thinking of in your head right now.

:getin:

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Update is now there! Always fun to hit "Submit Reply" instead of "Preview"

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
But but but you didn't show what happens to the drunk dude after everyone gets purified. Does he keep acting like that or is he "oh hey I was just pretending"?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That one guy was real close to becoming Lunar's first LPer.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Pierzak posted:

But but but you didn't show what happens to the drunk dude after everyone gets purified. Does he keep acting like that or is he "oh hey I was just pretending"?

He complains about drooling on himself during his stupor.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them

Mehuyael posted:

That one guy was real close to becoming Lunar's first LPer.

Crowetron's origin story confirmed

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Gratz on the gold. It's always nice to see that for threads I like, which is why I always make sure to vote on them.

I think I voted on all of them.

I'll vote on them again just to be sure.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

For whatever reason isn't loading completely for me.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Any better?

Concussion Sword might be influenced with lots of luck.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I think it's mostly influenced by there being like 3 enemies in the whole game that are weak to it and it always works on. I don't think I've ever seen it work on anything else, but I probably didn't try too hard.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

dis astranagant posted:

I think it's mostly influenced by there being like 3 enemies in the whole game that are weak to it and it always works on. I don't think I've ever seen it work on anything else, but I probably didn't try too hard.

I might be remembering wrong, but I think it works better on the Epilogue enemies? Been a long time since I've played this ('07-'08, off the top of my head), so my recollection is a tad hazy, but I seem to recall being in the water-themed postgame area, using it on a whim (I liked the voice clip), and being pleasantly surprised when enemies started dying very quickly to it.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Scalding Coffee posted:

Any better?

Concussion Sword might be influenced with lots of luck.

It appears to have been fixed yes.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, that was suspiciously straightforward.

sgt turtle
May 2, 2009

Bufuman posted:

Gratz on the gold. It's always nice to see that for threads I like, which is why I always make sure to vote on them.

I always been curious but how do you vote on threads I've never seen a obvious vote button.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

sgt turtle posted:

I always been curious but how do you vote on threads I've never seen a obvious vote button.

Look below and to the left of the last post on a page.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Episode 63: The Red Id

Last time on Lunar Ball Z, Leo squared off against his possessed sister, and our heroes arrived just in time to stop him from preventing fratricide (is that the right term? gently caress it)

: "Leo, holy gently caress man, WAIT A SECOND!"

: "Look, Ronfar, I'm the paladin here, I think I know how to deal with possession. What do you want me to do, perform an exorcism? Do you know how dangerous those things are?!"

: "Come to think of it, where did you even get Zophar blood in the first place?"

: "I am also curious about those circumstances, as well."

: "Does Zophar even HAVE blood? Like, does he have a physical body with blood and bones and stuff?"

: "Honestly, I'm not 100% sure what Zophar even is. I get that he's evil, but other than that..."

: "It could just be a name. Like it's not literally the blood of Zophar, but just a really evil substance connected to him. I mean, we're carrying like twenty bottles of Angel Tears, but I'm pretty sure that's just a brand name."

: "Everybody, shut up!"

Music ~ Somber Memories

Music ~ Tension

: "Oh, Ronfar, I'm so weak and confused. Please hold me in your beefy arms."

: "SIKE, BITCH! Ha ha!"

: "Because gently caress you, that's why!"

: "Afraid I might ball too hard? You sure called that one, space case."

: "The essence of Zophar's power still has some kind of hold on her soul. It's trying to claim her mind and heart, once and for all... If Zophar's essence succeeds in taking her over, she will remain a vessel of Zophar's evil forever."

: "How could you forget? I mean, you were there when it happened."

: "Don't you remember? That time you POISONED your girlfriend? Haha, and I thought Borgan was stupid!"

Good lord, Mauri's mitochondria must be freaking out right now!

: "Anything? I got a few potions you can try. Just ignore the blood-like appearance and the sounds of a thousand wailing souls in each bottle."

: "Though I suppose that never stopped you before! Hahahaha!"

: "Wow, Evil Mauri kinda owns."

: "I like where this is going."

I sat here for a few minutes trying to think of a good The Evil Within joke to put here, but all I can think of is how much The Evil Within owned and that I want to replay it again. Except for that swimming section, but what game has ever had a good swimming section? Ecco The Dolphin? gently caress off

Wait, what were we talking about?

Evil Mauri's theme is basically any given song from Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines.

: "I shall return with the gentle Mauri I love..."

: "Are you certain that you wish to risk your live to save hers? Once I use this power, there can be no turning back."

Lucia does some crazy magic stuff, and Ronfar passes out.

: "Oh oh! I know! 'Things Ronfar hears in bed'!"

: "Lem! C'mon!"

: "Oh, I like you, blondie. Maybe I'll let you live. Actually, on second thought..."

: "Holy heck! Is that supposed to happen?"

: "I do not know. To be honest, all of this has been theoretical up until this very incident."

MEANWHILE, IN THE BRAIN DIMENSION

I don't know if the empty void is supposed to represent Mauri's shattered mental state or just be a major slam against the poor girl.

Wait, what?

No, wait, go back to that. What the hell does that mean?

Oh, they're fine, they're just fighting a boss without their only healer, it's cool.

So, we gain control of Ronnie as he ventures into his possessed girlfriend's brain. Video games are great.

After walking for a bit, we find a sparkly Important Thing (tm)

WOOSH

Oh, it's a memory.

...a memory of a small child being menaced by hellish beasts. Man, live in a JRPG must be fuckin' rough.

Aw, he's got the tiny stick in his mouth. What a widdle doofus :3:

*DEMONIC RECORD SCRATCH*

: "Hey, what the hell, I was watching that!"

Ronfar gives chase as the memory shard is whisked away.

Mauri appears in the darkness, along with Mauri, Mauri, their friend Mauri, and some lady.

So, we're presented with five options. Which one we talk to and how we respond to them will effect the boss fight. But don't worry, it's not that complicated.

Each clone will halfheartedly attempt to convince Ron she is the real Mauri.

Naturally, the correct option is to deny them.

Tammy Evil Mauri will respond to Ron by ranting about fire and then disappear.

That will cause the corresponding head of the hydra to ignite, which lowers its defenses. Simple enough, and the actual fight is honestly easy enough that you really don't need Ronnie's healing anyway.

: "Behold, the monstrosity borne of true evil!"

: "Well, young mage, do you still think this demon masquerading as my sister quote 'owns'?"

: "Kinda, yeah."

After the flaming head dies, we go back to Ronfar.

Rinse and repeat.

: "Frankly? Yeah."

Next head on the chopping block. There's honestly not too much strategy to this fight. Just have everyone focus on the weak head and make sure Lemina uses ice spells and you'll be fine. The hydra can spit fireballs, but they don't do that much, and if you need healing, Jean can hold off on on the murder train for one turn to toss out some herbs.

The back and forth is a pretty cool gimmick, though.

: "No offense, Leo, but even in crazy monster form, you're sister is kind of a chump."

: "She never was one for fighting. In high school, she was voted 'Most Likely to Need Rescuing From A Tower'."

Actually none of the Four Heroes have been much a challenge. They're really more of pleasant breathers between Fiend fuckery.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, we're almost done here.

It is interesting to combine the hydra look with a fire based enemy. It's like making a Sun God dress like Dracula.

After slaying the penultimate head, the Evil Mauris are gone, and Ronfar retrieves the memory shard.

: "Ronfar..."

ULTRAVIOLENCE

We return to the scene to find the adults have FINALLY shown up. Great parenting there, guys, just let the kids wander around unsupervised in a world where flesh-eating monsters are a real and common occurrence.

And don't anyone tend to the mauled 6 year-old. The traumatized little girl can handle it, no prob guys.

Holy hell, he's alive?! Wait, we knew that already. Nevermind.

Yeah, and now those fuckers are gonna steal all your EXP Li'l Ronnie!

: "Oh Ronfar! That's not true. The beasts were too strong. There was no way to defeat them alone."

: "But Mauri, if I were stronger, I could have protected you!"

: "Oh, Ronfar..."

:unsmith:

: "What...!?"

: "Er...that is... Well, you see..."

Venturing forward, we encounter...another memory? Jesus, and this one is even more talky?

: "Wh...y...am, am I...doing this... S...Save...me... Ro...Ronfar!"

: "Are you quite finished? Or would you prefer to begin muttering about a ring or some such?"

: "You are alone."

Suddenly, a knock at the door.

: "Hey, Mauri. Were you...talking to someone?"

: "Oh, no, no. Nothing of the sort. i'm not possessed."

: "What?"

: "Hmm?

: "Of all the towns and villages you've been to in your travels for The Chosen...not a single one has escaped some terrible calamity. Fires, disappearing villagers, terrible monsters...the list goes on and on. ...At first, I thought it was merely a coincidence, but..."

: "Well, you smell like sulfur, your eyes have started glowing in the night, you grew a thorny tail. Plus, there's all those eye-witness accounts..."

: "There are still fragments of heart here."

Again, the memory is stolen, but only two Mauris appear to confront us.

: "Nah.

: "Now you've done it! Prepare to face the wrath of powers even Zophar fears! Cower before the might of BOFA!"

: "What manner of evil is this 'Bofa'?!"

: "Leo, don't--"

: "BOFA DEEZ NUTS!!!!!!!!"

: "Goddammit."

Oh good, the scrotum burned up and turned into a toothy mouth. Good.

Okay, so whatever the gently caress THAT is, it's the core of the boss. Kill that, and it's all over. It can dish out more damage than the heads did, but two or three rounds of focused fire will put it down for good. You can take out the remaining head, too, if you want. It's worth EXP, I think. But if you just want ol' ball breath off your screen ASAP, I wouldn't blame you.

Holy poo poo, that's a lot of EXP

Lemina picks up a new spell, and everyone but Ronfar gains a level. Not bad.

Speaking of Ronfar, he's not finished with his own battle.

: "Ronfar! Oh, why won't he wake up!?"

: "Even though that monster is gone...he hasn't come back! What should we do, Lucia!?"

: "Mauri's heart has been blackened by Zophar for some time. It is as if it were a locked door. If Ronfar cannot open her heart to love, the door shall remain sealed forever. And they will both remain like this...lost to use forever."

: "No! I will not accept that. Come on, Ronfar! You can do it... You are the only one who has the power to save Mauri...we can't help you now."

Meanwhile, Ronfar peers once more into the memory.

: "...uh uungh...Ro...Ron...far..I...I..."

: "What's wrong!? Hold on, Mauri!!"

: "Mauri...you..."

: "See you around, dickless!"

Ronnie's going through alot right now, he's just gotta monologue it out.

: "If the potion I received from The Chosen is the cause of her change... "

: "Then I am the one responsible for this! I have blackened her heart!"

: "I couldn't deal with the fact that I ruined the one I loved so much. I couldn't face the awful truth, so I ran from The Chosen...and from Mauri."

: "I didn't understand her suffering. And yet...I was powerless to ease it."

Ronfar stepped out into the memory of his home. Their home

He didn't need to search. He knew just where to find her.

Please watch this

:peanut:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Crowetron do you believe love can bloom on the battlef---

uh...

:yikes:

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
This is one part that I have to say, without hesitation, is better in the remake than the original. I mean, the same things happen in the original, Ronfar goes inside Mauri's head, there are some battles without your healer, and he rescues her, but in the original that's kind of it. There's no flashbacks in the original, no Mauri clones, and the boss fight is against multiple lame-rear end firebirds. It's pretty lame. I guess if you don't like sappy romance stuff you'd like the original version more, 'cuz it's a lot shorter, but if you don't like sappy romance stuff why are you playing Lunar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
D'aww, sparklehugs. :allears:

• Locked thread