Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

McCracAttack posted:

I'd like to argue in favor of that ending choice:

People had already started screaming at that point so no big loss there. I just remembered that long background conversation Reggie had with Kenny where he kept marveling how having his arm severed right away saved him. I figured the game was setting it up to work this time. Besides, in the first game there's a branch where Lee severs his own arm and staunches the bleeding with a crummy bit of gauss before he passes out. If cutting off Sarita's arm works it won't be the most implausible amputation in the story.

Personally I just didn't believe Reggie's story. It seemed more likely to me that Carver simply cut his arm off as a punishment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
It's canon in the series though that if you get bit in the arm and you amputate it fast enough you won't be zombified. Lee didn't cut his off fast enough and the infection spread so that's why he was doomed either way.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 02:03 on May 15, 2014

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Just like Season 1, making choices isn't about unlocking a hidden part of the game you wouldn't otherwise see, or New Art. It's more about adding context to your character. Yes, every Lee ends up at the Marsh House, but there are very different Lee's out there depending on the kind of person you were.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Accordion Man posted:

It's canon in the series though that if you get bit in the arm and you amputate it fast enough you won't be zombified. Lee didn't cut his off fast enough and the infection spread so that's why he was doomed either way.

I think he might've died of blood loss. He has clear zombielike features if you don't cut it off but is just kinda pale if you do.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Spikeguy posted:

Just like Season 1, making choices isn't about unlocking a hidden part of the game you wouldn't otherwise see, or New Art. It's more about adding context to your character. Yes, every Lee ends up at the Marsh House, but there are very different Lee's out there depending on the kind of person you were.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-D-CowBL-s

Now I'm picturing this scene but with Lees.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Lee waited quite some time - probably an hour or more - before cutting off the arm. Infection had already set in his bloodstream, It only seemed like a good idea because Telltale had got you so attached to him that you were willing to try and save him, even if was a long shot.

In the comics bites need to be cut off straight away, and even then its unlikely the character will survive due to blood loss, secondary infection etc. It's kind of a pit luck - Morgan had his arm amputated quickly straight after the bite, and didn't make it, Dale had his leg sawn off a little while after being bit, and made it.

In episode 2, Pete mentions that he had a cousin who survived a bite.

Good episode, Micheal Madsen was really :stare: in it.

Neorxenawang
Jun 9, 2003

LadyPictureShow posted:

I think Russell refuses to go no matter what his decisions were in his story, and Tavia has to do a specific dialogue option for him to go.

What I don't get is practically nobody I know that's played this game got Vince to go with them. My feelings were 'why would anybody pick the rapist?!' Then I saw choices thing come up, and was about 75% of players picking to escape with him. Huh.

I figured they were both assholes, but if you're gonna come up with the bright idea of shooting someone's foot off you're pretty much volunteering to be the one getting shot.

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...
When it came to the choice, I killed the zombie instead of chopping the arm. Not because of any higher thinking actually; I just thought if I'd gone for the arm, it would've been a repeat of S1E2 with the axe and the dude's leg. Better to take out the zombie and deal with the bite later, besides the fact that if we'd have amputated right there she just die of blood loss and shock. Then Kenny'd blame me for directly killing her. This way, I ain't responsible for her probable death.

But yeah, pretty brutal this episode. Lotta dead people; thinning out the numbers from the old group. Luke's almost undoubtedly bitten; the blood pool was pretty congealed in the shop. Was defiant to Carver so it was pretty satisfying, if brutal, to see Carver get taken out Half Life style. Trying to get Sarah to man up is proving difficult, even more now that she's going to be pining for her father.

I think Jane represents what Clementine could become if she continues down the ruthless survivalist path, so expect to see her demonised in episode 4.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

All this foreshadowing of how Clem could turn out makes this teaser image even more interesting by the day:

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I'm only like ten minutes in but hearing Kumail Nanjiani's voice is the most distracting thing ever.

Fair to Midland
Jan 13, 2010

by Cowcaster

kater posted:

I'm only like ten minutes in but hearing Kumail Nanjiani's voice is the most distracting thing ever.

Uhh sorry, but who?

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

McCracAttack posted:

All this foreshadowing of how Clem could turn out makes this teaser image even more interesting by the day:

Someone pointed out earlier that this image makes more sense as the episode 3 image, and the episode 3 image for 4. Clem smears blood on her face in episode 3, while the implied childbirth scene in the ep 3 slide is nowhere to be found.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Fair to Midland posted:

Uhh sorry, but who?

I'd never heard of him either but he's a comedian who voices the irritating one armed man.

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

Re: third season talk, I totally agree that Clem's story should end this season. I thought it'd be cool for the series to continue on in a baton-passing fashion, such that a character introduced each season then takes over in the next. But so far, that seems like a big stretch because of how dumb and/or underdeveloped the season 2 characters are so far.

I have zero interest in S3 being Sarah, Rebecca, Bonnie, or Sarita's story, or any of Carver's group left behind at the compound. Nick's potentially dead depending on choices. Pete, Walter, Alvin, Carlos are all dead. (It's a shame they killed Pete off so early, I think he could have made for an interesting protagonist if he'd outlived Nick.) I don't hate Luke as much as some people seem to, he could maybe work. My pick right now would be Jane -- if she hangs around for the next two episodes, I could see her getting developed enough to be an interesting S3 protagonist. And, of course, there's Kenny. I think it'd be better if his story wrapped up this season too rather than stretching out another season, but he's the best choice still standing.

Fair to Midland
Jan 13, 2010

by Cowcaster

escalator dropdown posted:

Re: third season talk, I totally agree that Clem's story should end this season. I thought it'd be cool for the series to continue on in a baton-passing fashion, such that a character introduced each season then takes over in the next. But so far, that seems like a big stretch because of how dumb and/or underdeveloped the season 2 characters are so far.

I have zero interest in S3 being Sarah, Rebecca, Bonnie, or Sarita's story, or any of Carver's group left behind at the compound. Nick's potentially dead depending on choices. Pete, Walter, Alvin, Carlos are all dead. (It's a shame they killed Pete off so early, I think he could have made for an interesting protagonist if he'd outlived Nick.) I don't hate Luke as much as some people seem to, he could maybe work. My pick right now would be Jane -- if she hangs around for the next two episodes, I could see her getting developed enough to be an interesting S3 protagonist. And, of course, there's Kenny. I think it'd be better if his story wrapped up this season too rather than stretching out another season, but he's the best choice still standing.

In Season 1 most were dead by the end of Episode 3. You got the inclusion of Omid and Christa, Molly who still seems really out of place..

Anyway, I'm sure Clem dies at the end. Nothing will ever hit our hearts like Lee and Clem again, and I feel a lot of people will judge the game because of that connection.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Get ready for some CIA-style spoiler poo poo here.

Honestly, I enjoyed this episode, even though it played out a bit differently than I had figured!

Was actually expecting Alvin to get his rear end handed to him by Carver, so that wasn't much of a shock, especially since he was basically a no count character anymore. Given that TellTale likes to have all roads lead to the same result story-wise, so having the option of him dying in Ep. 2 pretty much sealed both his and Nick's fate I believe. Just a question of when.

Carver....well, honestly I expected TellTale to revamp and expand on the "all roads lead to the same place" this season, and honestly expected us to have to choose between Carver's group, and the others. But alas, maybe that SORT of happened, I did notice that you could pretty much side with Carver and poo poo when having the one on one discussion with him. I did this, thinking it was meant to shine him on to keep him from spazzing on me, but from Clem's responses, "Yeah, I feel like I have to do EVERYTHING for them", coupled with the eye roll from her at that moment, I'm gathering that was meant to be a truthful response. Admittedly, I chose to have Clem stay and watch Kenny lay the smack down on Carver, because I'd tend to think that any kid her age, after watching what Carver had done, would SAY they wanted to watch it. What I didn't expect was her reaction halfway through. At first was the squinting and looking away, but afterwards she just looked on with this odd, semi-pleased look. Which freaked me a bit actually...haha. Knowing that, I probably wouldn't make that choice again.

And the last note, I felt like complete poo poo regarding the 400 Days characters. I was one of the lucky (unlucky) few that had the entire group go with Tavia on my first playthrough. The cameos were nice, but was let down with the minimal interaction. I'm going to wager, that the group will have a similar encounter with whichever of the 400 Days characters DIDN'T go with Tavia in the next Episode. A walk on cameo or something of the like!

With all that, I'm starting to agree that this Season seems to be revolving around Clementine either holding on to her humanity, or just turning completely into a survivalist, no real fucks given. Interested to see how this plays out.

It's also going to be interesting to go through this Season, playing the part of the Clembitch 3000. I completed my Dick Lee run not long ago actually, pretty interesting differences from Saint Lee. Going to be fun to see just how cold-blooded and manipulative they let you become as Clementine.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

escalator dropdown posted:

And, of course, there's Kenny. I think it'd be better if his story wrapped up this season too rather than stretching out another season, but he's the best choice still standing.

I think he's waaaaaay too developed to be a PC anything like Lee or Clem. We know exactly what that guy's about and wouldn't be able to roleplay him very effectively, I don't think.

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

Fair to Midland posted:

Nothing will ever hit our hearts like Lee and Clem again, and I feel a lot of people will judge the game because of that connection.

I can understand that, for sure. If TellTale decides to keep going beyond S2, I'm just saying I'd rather see an existing character take over rather than either another season of Clem or a season with an entirely new protagonist.

Pharmaskittle posted:

I think he's waaaaaay too developed to be a PC anything like Lee or Clem. We know exactly what that guy's about and wouldn't be able to roleplay him very effectively, I don't think.

Definitely a fair point. Maybe a reason to lean in favor of Luke or Jane after all.

Anyway, loved the episode. Kind of disappointed that they wrapped up Carver and the compound in a single episode -- expected we'd be there for episode 4 as well -- but I guess it's better than dragging it out too long as I hear the show did.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
Apparently Telltale's taken on yet another project so s3's looking kinda unlikely considering they have people working on multiple projects at once. 5??

Fair to Midland
Jan 13, 2010

by Cowcaster

THE PWNER posted:

Apparently Telltale's taken on yet another project so s3's looking kinda unlikely considering they have people working on multiple projects at once. 5??

I'm excited for the Game of Thrones idea, but gently caress why the hell Borderlands? I don't even get it, what story does Borderlands have? Just make some weird shooter world with dumb memes if you want to. But then, doing it in Telltale's storytelling way? Really not looking forward to that one.

loving bring on Game of Thrones though.

Fair to Midland fucked around with this message at 06:29 on May 15, 2014

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Fair to Midland posted:

I'm excited for the Game of Thrones idea, but gently caress why the hell Borderlands? I don't even get it, what story does Borderlands have? Just make some weird shooter world with dumb memes if you want to. But then, doing it in Telltale's storytelling way? Really not looking forward to that one.

Before TWD, stuff like Borderlands was pretty much Telltale's specialty.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
Still not sure why people don't like the Season 2 crowd. I like that their motivations are clear and their own individual symbols are being set up into interesting thematic arcs. Sure, some of them are dicks or irrational but that's what makes being around them interesting, because it puts some weight in your interaction with them. I much prefer this group and their constant arguing to the first seasons sort of hilarious 'everyone must listen to Lee' mentality. Kenny and Lilly telling me I can't take the middle ground only to let me take the middle ground over and over again repeatedly comes to mind as a sort of glaring writing flaw with their otherwise compelling personalities. In this season, there have already been a huge amount of situations where characters blatantly disregard or go against Clementine if you can't convince them or disagree with them. I like that a lot, it shows that the characters are more than just vaguely humanoid pieces of computer programming.

I guess the best way to put it is the characters from S2 feel much more like the side characters from S1, and are better for it because Telltale is toying with how the group actually deals with Clementine instead of just being steamrolled by any of the Player's choices.

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011

Fair to Midland posted:

As someone who doesn't like Game of Thrones, but loves Borderlands and Telltale games I couldn't be happier Tales from the Borderlands is being made. :D That said, I'll probably still play both.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

As a fan of both Game of Thrones and Borderlands I think GOT is a perfect fit for a Telltale game and Borderlands sounds horrible. They might do a good job of it, but I still need to be sold as why I should give a poo poo about a story driven Borderlands story.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
To be honest I'm probably gonna buy it either way based entirely on my faith in TellTale's performance. I was pretty sure The Walking Dead was going to be poo poo too because the show is so bad but they obviously surpassed my expectations a million times over.

On to the speculation. I think that Jane is going to now start acting as the sort of lone wolf, less evil, version of Carver. From the preview it looks like she is taking Clem under her wing and probably sees a lot of herself in Clem. I feel like this season is setting us up to make a final decision along the lines of "Would you rather survive as a monster, or die a human being". Obviously that's a big part of the entire TWD universe but I don't think it is as evident anywhere else as in Clem's growth and development through the series.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

NESguerilla posted:

As a fan of both Game of Thrones and Borderlands I think GOT is a perfect fit for a Telltale game and Borderlands sounds horrible. They might do a good job of it, but I still need to be sold as why I should give a poo poo about a story driven Borderlands story.

Yeah, there might be someone who cares about Borderlands' story, but it's really not the focus of the game. Hell, I'd argue it's by far the weakest part.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
So for the question of how (end of S2E3 spoiler) Clem managed to amputate Sarita's arm so quickly, I think a decent explanation is that the tug-of-war between Sarita and the walker did most of the work. If you look at the state of Sarita's stump after the arm is severed, you'll notice that the bone's angle is oblique and jagged despite Clem's cut being at a right angle -- suggesting that the hatchet wasn't the direct cause of the amputation. My theory is that Clem's first strike cracked the ulna and radius, and that the inhuman strength of the walker combined with Sarita's desperate attempt to pull away produced tremendous tension at this newly weakened point. The bone and sinew would have further cracked and torn during the several seconds where the camera cuts to Sarita's and Clem's faces, sufficiently weakening the flesh by the time the second strike finished the job.

So in a sense, Clem didn't cut off Sarita's arm so much as she facilitated the process of it being torn off.
There aren't enough :gonk:s in the world to convey just how painful that would have been.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Now that I've played the newest episode, this series isn't about Clem, it's just Kenny's world and we're all just playing in it.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

laplace posted:

I guess the best way to put it is the characters from S2 feel much more like the side characters from S1, and are better for it because Telltale is toying with how the group actually deals with Clementine instead of just being steamrolled by any of the Player's choices.

I think the issue I've had with the S2 group was that they were all introduced at once. The way they parcel out meeting everyone in S1 in stages made it easier to characterize each person in on their time. You got to meet Kenny's family first before you are introduced to the people at the pharmacy, and even at the end of that you only end up with 3 people from there. S2 gave you Pete and Luke, and then threw you in to the deep end by introducing EVERYONE at once, and they all wanted you dead, essentially. That sort of hectic nature to introductions caused some problems for them, because then they have to walk back the lovely way they treated Clem into people you actually have to rely on.

As for the last episode, I was surprised at how the game felt like it was trying to get me to have some meaningful relationship with Sarita, and how I just kept on ignoring her the whole episode. They have that moment where you can either help restrain her or try and help Keny, but I got the feeling that I would have ended up with a cracked skull either way. Then they have her try and get you to leave when Carver bites it, but I wasn't even thinking about her at the time.

It sort of made the final decision interesting, where it feels like Sarita views Clem as an increasing problem in the group, so to see her turn her head just before I whacked her arm off really hit home. I kind of hope that gets addressed in the next episode in some way, because the preview gave zero indication that what I had just done will have any impact.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

laplace posted:

Still not sure why people don't like the Season 2 crowd. I like that their motivations are clear and their own individual symbols are being set up into interesting thematic arcs. Sure, some of them are dicks or irrational but that's what makes being around them interesting, because it puts some weight in your interaction with them. I much prefer this group and their constant arguing to the first seasons sort of hilarious 'everyone must listen to Lee' mentality. Kenny and Lilly telling me I can't take the middle ground only to let me take the middle ground over and over again repeatedly comes to mind as a sort of glaring writing flaw with their otherwise compelling personalities. In this season, there have already been a huge amount of situations where characters blatantly disregard or go against Clementine if you can't convince them or disagree with them. I like that a lot, it shows that the characters are more than just vaguely humanoid pieces of computer programming.

There's an option this episode to say "These people need me to do EVERYTHING for them." I think that just about sums up the new group.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

THE PWNER posted:

There's an option this episode to say "These people need me to do EVERYTHING for them." I think that just about sums up the new group.
"There could be food in that cabin."
[Sits down on a rock.]

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Its ironic that if wasn't for Carver they'd probably all be zombie food long before Clem would ever run into them.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Accordion Man posted:

Its ironic that if wasn't for Carver they'd probably all be zombie food long before Clem would ever run into them.

Well they'd probably have been more than content to be Carver's prisoners. Kenny and Luke are the only people who even suggest trying to escape. Everyone else is just deathly afraid of the idea of trying to escape.

Kenny might be an idiot, but he's an idiot who at least tries to do things.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

CottonWolf posted:

Yeah, there might be someone who cares about Borderlands' story, but it's really not the focus of the game. Hell, I'd argue it's by far the weakest part.

On the flip side, I think Borderlands 2 has a pretty decent story with a lot of great writing, which surprisingly enough even managed a few great moments of pathos, but most people that trash it can't see past the references to pop culture. I think Telltale could do a lot with the setting and it'll be nice to see them do something with a little humor in it because going back and forth between Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us (not to mention adding Game of Thrones into the mix) is :smith: as hell. In fact I'd say I'm least excited for Game of Thrones because I'm not really seeing what they can do with the setting re: interesting choices unless it's set far in the past compared to the show.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

THE PWNER posted:

Well they'd probably have been more than content to be Carver's prisoners. Kenny and Luke are the only people who even suggest trying to escape. Everyone else is just deathly afraid of the idea of trying to escape.

I was wondering how far they would go with that, but the moment he makes Carlos slap the poo poo out of his daughter, I figured the illusion that they would ever be safe was broken.

Also, I really enjoyed watching the loner woman shooting jerk dude in the dick.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

THE PWNER posted:

Despite Kenny being a real moron at times, I like that about him, he never gives up fighting. He refuses to just give up and die against the zombies (The one scene in the attic he has in the last episode of Season 1 was great) and he'd rather die than be a lapdog to some rear end in a top hat like Carver for the rest of his life.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Accordion Man posted:

Despite Kenny being a real moron at times, I like that about him, he never gives up fighting. He refuses to just give up and die against the zombies (The one scene in the attic he has in the last episode of Season 1 was great) and he'd rather die than be a lapdog to some rear end in a top hat like Carver for the rest of his life.

Luckily Carver was just a paper tiger :v:

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Magitek posted:

There aren't enough :gonk:s in the world to convey just how painful that would have been.

The look on her face when it happens conveyed so much. Because Clem doesn't say anything. She just does it. So from an outside perspective, someone would have seen Clem run up and start hacking at Sarita's arm. Clem. The little girl. That's loving grizzly and I love it.

Every time I play a new episode, it makes me want to play all the other ones since it's usually been a bit of time since I did it. I started up a new Season 1 - now run and I just remembered how hosed SE1EP3 is. Jesus. Just Jesus. I haven't been truly shocked by much in the series, but Lilly shooting Carly in the face for no other reason than she pissed her off was nuts.

I don't know if we still spoiler Season 1, but I didn't want to take a chance.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
It's so weird reading over these experiences now that I'm done with the episode. On one hand, I feel like the biggest beep boop in the history of beep boops, but on the other hand, I still showed a lot more compassion than most of you jerks.

I did my best to be cooperative with everything and find middle ground where I could - helping Sarah and telling Reggie we won't get him in trouble were no-brainers. It's a survival situation in a hostile society, friends are your guns, knives, and medkits here. I was cool with Bonnie, she's a dumbass but she's a useful dumbass. Tried to take blame on myself and stick up for people as much as I could to garner favors, especially after the chat in Carver's office where it's revealed he respects her. I :smith:'d when Reggie died, he was a good guy deep down. Kenny called it, really, he'd just drank too much of the kool-aid and was indoctrinated. Rehabilitation in that situation is possible, and anyone tough enough to survive an amputation has uses. Then the poor guy got flung off the roof. :smith:

I just stayed quiet in Carver's office. Idiots like him love to hear themselves talk, so it was best to just let him get it out.

I stuck around to watch Carver's murder, not out of any sense of revenge but to confirm the loving kill. We have demonstrated proof that this guy will spend an absurd amount of time and resources chasing us down and making us miserable. He has to not be able to do that again, and if Kenny's got his way of doing it, fine, but we are making sure his way of doing it gets it done. It's not the way I would've preferred it done, but whatever, you can't always get what you want. I was actually REALLY surprised when Carver didn't draw his revolver during that whole scene - I was practically chomping at the bit to disarm him. Again, not out of any sense of revenge or avarice, I just didn't want him to get one last lick in, the way Alvin had literally just done to one of those douchebag guards.

I attacked the walker biting Sarita almost before I realized there was a choice. I hesitated for a moment after realizing there was a second choice, but still attacked the walker because it coincided with the task at hand. Horde around us right now. Escape first. Deal with bites and injuries later, can't handle it right now. First things first, etc.

So I'm about as robotic as it gets apparently. The hell does that say about you guys? :v:

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 16:39 on May 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Am I the only one who thinks Christa could make a return, I mean it wasn't exactly clear if she was killed in S2-Ep 1, but I suppose that'd just be a re-hash of the Marsh House Stranger in that she tracks Clem down and berates her for ruining her life (Omid dying) and all the lovely things she did.

Also, she'd have Omid's head in a bowling ball bag

• Locked thread