Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Glazius posted:

It feels like we should be lending out the ZFGs more than we have been so far, but I guess all of the life-changing orbments are probably too big to be affected by it anyway.

The ZFGs are designed for one crucial purpose: advancing the plot.

They're really too weak to have many effective uses. Most medical care gets handled with weird old potions courtesy of the Septian Church, no orbments required. Vehicles are all too big. A ZFG could maybe restore power to one streetlight, one house heater, or one soldier's rifle, but there are thousands in need and four available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Geomancing posted:

So having just caught up, keep in mind that I haven't played the games. Was there a time, at any point, where the protagonists actually made headway against the Society and defeated or even set them back?
Estelle not joining them and gaining intel on the Glorius etc. would probably be the biggest setback they've had. But yeah, the Gospel Plan has pretty much gone without a hitch.
Then again it's really, really hard to stop or hinder a plan that is in it's essence 'lets put these orb thing here and see how well it works! Then we tweak the orb thing and put it in another place! Repeat until it's as good as we can get it!' without knowing what they're doing in the first place. You have to grab/destroy the orb or stop them from using it in the first place which is pretty much impossible when you can really only react to what they're doing.

The previous chapter's fights were kind of unnecessary yeah, but that's been brought up as criticism of that chapter before.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

EponymousMrYar posted:

The previous chapter's fights were kind of unnecessary yeah, but that's been brought up as criticism of that chapter before.

eh i think pretty much every enforcer subplot would have suffered without those scenes. as it walter and luci already kinda lack screentype, taking away even more scenes from them would be pretty bad. like yeah, you don't beat any of them, but it further develops every enforcers relation with the party and provides a bridge between the end of chapter 6 and the appearance of the floating city since going straight from one into the other would be pretty jarring.

if you had more party members i think having the party split into four groups and having all of it technically happening at the same time would make it seem a bit more organic though

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Glazius posted:

It feels like we should be lending out the ZFGs more than we have been so far, but I guess all of the life-changing orbments are probably too big to be affected by it anyway.

As I recall, there's only maybe 1 spare ZFG by the time you've made all your deliveries, and having constant communications country-wide is the best use for the other ones.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

That's the annoying thing - the party is in complete reactive mode through most of the game, unlike the first chapter, where both sides were reasonably proactive. And since we can't really detain any of the enforcers, none of our reactions are doing much good.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Cake Attack posted:

eh i think pretty much every enforcer subplot would have suffered without those scenes. as it walter and luci already kinda lack screentype, taking away even more scenes from them would be pretty bad. like yeah, you don't beat any of them, but it further develops every enforcers relation with the party and provides a bridge between the end of chapter 6 and the appearance of the floating city since going straight from one into the other would be pretty jarring.

if you had more party members i think having the party split into four groups and having all of it technically happening at the same time would make it seem a bit more organic though
It's more that the medium doesn't quite fit what they were going for. Because you beat them in a fight only to not beat them as they do crazy cutscene things anyway it's really obvious that gameplay/story segregation is happening. That's bad and immersion breaking, even if the cutscenes are good and necessary to develop the Enforcers a bit.

There a bunch of ways to improve how they handled those fights:

Give the Enforcers more hp (bonus of it being their final fight hp numbers) and then script the battle to end at some reasonable HP percentage.
Remove the Enforcers from the fight entirely and throw more archaisms at the party.
Just have more screentime for the Enforcers with the party period, skip out on the fights with them until the last Tower/Renne. Renne is the only fight that doesn't break my story/gameplay integration immersion because of course Estelle & Co. can't help holding back and Pater Mater is a giant freakin' robot.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

EponymousMrYar posted:

It's more that the medium doesn't quite fit what they were going for. Because you beat them in a fight only to not beat them as they do crazy cutscene things anyway it's really obvious that gameplay/story segregation is happening. That's bad and immersion breaking, even if the cutscenes are good and necessary to develop the Enforcers a bit.

There a bunch of ways to improve how they handled those fights:

Give the Enforcers more hp (bonus of it being their final fight hp numbers) and then script the battle to end at some reasonable HP percentage.
Remove the Enforcers from the fight entirely and throw more archaisms at the party.
Just have more screentime for the Enforcers with the party period, skip out on the fights with them until the last Tower/Renne. Renne is the only fight that doesn't break my story/gameplay integration immersion because of course Estelle & Co. can't help holding back and Pater Mater is a giant freakin' robot.

I can't say I'm bothered by this, because this particular story/gameplay segregation happens all the freakin' time throughout the games. I've already come to accept this as part of the experience. Seriously, special ops guys being beaten at the lighthouse/carnelia tower only to jump right up afterwards and flee/cripple Gilbert/rapidly rapple down a rope? Check. Colonel Richard being beaten and him going to town on a gigantic archaism a little while later? Check. Joshua and Mueller? (both ways) Check. The friggin Capuas every single time you faced them in FC? Check, check and check. Really, it shouldn't be breaking your immersion anymore after all this time.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

-Strepitoso Fight-

Do snails really count as bugs? I don't think they have enough legs.

And then everything gets impeded. Yaaay.

Handy for all these beam attacks that have gotten so trendy lately.

-Wandering in the Darkness-

Miner Landan: Gehenna just...swallow me right now. It'll be quicker.
Mr. Landan? What's wrong?
Miner Landan: Oh! Estelle! I was wondering if you'd come by. I think we still owe you from way back.
Hahaha! Man, memories!
That's right, one of our first real bracer missions was carrying the septium crystal away after that cave-in.
It is a nice memory, but we don't really have time to talk about it.
Ah, right.
Miner Landan: Yeah, we have a problem. The elevator isn't working. The boss 'n everyone are stuck down there in the mines.
They were doing some work in the tunnels, correct?
Miner Landan: That's right. We're all working on shoring the tunnels up after the cave-in. We got the framework back up, but we still need to take care of our 'rat problem.'
You mean the holes that opened up in the cave-in...
Yes, the ones that opened up into monster holes when we were here last.
Miner Landan: Exactly. The boss dynamited them after you left to fill 'em in quick. Problem is, they're still dangerous if they lead to monster nests, especially digging ones. We talked it over and decided we needed to seal them up proper.
Now I understand. That's why Ridge was asked to guard you.
And then, right in the middle of all that...kaboom, all your orbal gear stopped working.
I hope everyone's okay down there.
If they are trapped down there, they are in danger. We should find a way down as soon as we can.
Miner Landan: Well, don't get me wrong, I'd love for you to do that, but we got one little problem. There's no way to actually get down there! This elevator shaft is the only way down and that elevator ain't going anywhere.
Oh. Right. Little problem. Gehenna does sound nice right about now.
Of course. It IS driven by orbments.
Is there literally no other way down?
Miner Landan: Of course not! We'd have used it to get the boss and everyone out by now otherwise.
Ah, of course.
But, seriously, we can't just give up on them! Everyone's waiting! We have to do something for them!
Yes, but the question is, what?
Miner Landan: I know we don't have much to go on, but if you have any ideas, could you give them a shot? I'm sure everyone's waiting to be rescued.

The control key has been inserted, too. It's purely down to the shutdown phenomenon.
Hmm...
Joshua? What is it?
Just a sec...I think I have an idea.
An idea? About the elevator?
Mr. Landan, is this elevator internally driven?
Miner Landan: Huh? Uh, yeah, it should be.
All right, good.

The control key's been inserted here...So...the drive orbment should be almost directly below it.
Hmm-hmm. Hatching a plot, my former student?
I'm not sure it will work, but it's worth trying.
Estelle. Can you lend me your Zero Field Generator?
My generator?
Uh, okay, but what...?

quote:

Estelle handed Joshua her Zero Field Generator.
What are you planning on doing with that?
Give me just a second and you'll see.
If we use the device that lets orbments run in the suspension field...then maybe we can run this orbment, even in the suspension field! It's just crazy enough to work!

quote:

Joshua placed the Zero Field Generator onto the control stand.

Miner Landan: WHAT in tarnation!
Whoa...This light...!
Just like what a Gospel emits!
Don't worry...I think this is the result of the orbal fields interfering with one another. If I understand everything right, the orbment should be getting power again right...about...
Miner Landan: It stopped...

There we are! It's back online.
Get on! This is our chance!
Hmhm, nicely done!
Miner Landan: I'll come too!
Hurry up then, Mr. Landan!

*GROINK* *FLOODGE* *YARGH*

Well, I can't speak for everyone, but I certainly came close to biting off my tongue there.
You know, I think it might've been more pleasant to just throw ourselves against the elevator. Repeatedly.
The drive orbment probably isn't quite at full output. Anyway, we did manage to make it down. Let's investigate.

Miner Landan: Where are the guys? You think we might be overreacti--Huh?
Did you hear something?
Miner Landan: Yeah, someone's coming! Heeey, I recognize him! That's Trent! Yo, Trent! What're you doin' over there, you lazy...

Miner Trent: B-Behind...
Miner Landan: Eh?
Miner Trent: THEY'RE COMING FROM BEHIND!

Oh, heck. More monsters from that nest?
Most likely. We don't really have time to think about it! Defend yourselves!

-Strepitoso Fight-

As per Schera's oh-so-subtle hint, these crabs are resistant to weaponry.

Care for some Screamed crab on toast?

That's more work than I needed after an elevator ride like that...
Yes, we'll need to be careful.
Miner Landan: H-Hey, bracers...
Miner Trent: Is it okay to come out? Please?
Oh, yeah! It's clear now.

Miner Trent: Thanks to you guys, I get to live to enjoy another meal!
Miner Landan: You idiot! This isn't the time for that! First things first. Where's the boss and the rest of the boys?
Yeah, can you tell us what's going on down here?
Was there an accident or something?
Miner Trent: Uh...Yeah, kinda. So we were working when suddenly the lights we use to chase away the monsters cut out. Wasn't much we could do, so we put the job aside and came here to wait. And then this morning, a huge swarm of monsters flooded out of the dig site! Gaa-aaah...I thought we were monster food for sure!
Hold on a sec. Wasn't there a bracer with you?
Miner Trent: Y-Yeah, there was...He bought some time for us to get away. But...But the last we saw of him, he was being swallowed up by the horde of monsters...
NO!
You mean Ridge is...?!
...We need to get moving. Right now.
Yes, we need to rescue those miners first. We can go save Ridge afterward. And we WILL save him.
...Yeah, you're right. I'm worried about Ridge, but we have our mission.
Miner Trent: I...I got so hungry I made a break for it, but...I think the boss and everyone else are still hiding somewhere.
How many miners are here in total?
Miner Landan: There should be four others. Five if you count the bracer guy.
Okay. Five people. Let's get looking, then.
Let's hurry!
Miner Trent: G-Good luck!

Miner Bones: What am I supposed to do all alone like this?

Miner Bones: SOMEONE! HEEEEEELP!

Questions later!
We'll save you!

-Strepitoso Fight-

This fight starts with a civilian NPC in a bad position, but it's not hard to keep him safe.

Miner Bones: Haah, hooh...Man, oh, man...I thought I was dead for sure.
Is it me or does this get harder every time?
It was a close one, that's for sure.
No kidding...We were just in the nick of time.
Miner Bones: I knew it, it's you guys! You guys saved us from that cave-in!
That's us!
We were only junior bracers back then, mind.
Miner Bones: So you guys are full bracers now, huh? Lookin' at you now, yeah, you've got that same kinda posture that Scherazard has.
Ahaha, thanks!
Though...this isn't really the time to be swapping compliments.
Miner Bones: Yeah, good point. I'm guessing you guys found a way down here?
We did. Get back to the elevator shaft. If you go now, you SHOULD be able to avoid any monsters.
Miner Bones: Right, got it. You guys be careful down here, too. This place is crawling!

Miner Heinrich: (SHH! Keep quiet! Quit muttering like that. The monsters will hear you!)
Miner Pierre: Hmph! In the last cave-in it was surely the grace of the Goddess which saved us. A little faith wouldn't hurt you in a situation like this, Heinrich.

We're from the Bracer Guild.
Are you two hurt at all?
Miner Heinrich: No, we're fine, somehow.
Miner Pierre: Oh, Aidios, thank you for this salvation...
You're welcome to be as faithful as you wish, but thanks are a bit premature. We need to get you out of here as soon as we can.
Yes. First, we--

Miner Pierre: Goddess' mercy!
They're coming! Watch out!

-Strepitoso Fight-

Much easier odds this time.

Miner Heinrich: Gwaaaaaaah...Ohh, sweet Aidios!
Miner Pierre: I was sweating bullets there...
Run for the elevator immediately. The way should still be clear, but you need to go right now.
Miner Heinrich: R-Right! Thanks!
Miner Pierre: Aidios' grace be with you, heroes!

That's...

Mine Chief Gaton: Well, it was a good plan, up to 'get all the monsters to chase me here'...Aw, hell...Looks like I might've overdone it again. Anya, Frissa...I'm sorry...I guess I won't be coming home.
Gaton!

Don't worry! We'll save you!
We won't make it fighting normally. We must carve a path straight through their ranks!
Forward!

-Strepitoso Fight-

Oh no you don't, you cheating little crab bastards.

Okay...We...somehow...
Estelle blinked and missed the whole thing.
...We managed to win, it seems.
Gaton, are you all right?
Mine Chief Gaton: Yeah...Just scratches, is all. Man, they really must teach you guys to have perfect timing at Bracer School or something. Wish you could stop by when we're not in the middle of a damned crisis!
Haha! Yeah, really. Seems like the only time we ever come by the mines is when there's an emergency.
It would be nice to visit once without being in mortal danger.
Still, there will be time for joking later. We need you to get to safety first, Mr. Gaton.
Mine Chief Gaton: Ah, right.
We're getting everyone to go meet Trent and Landan over by the elevator. Head over there for now.
Mine Chief Gaton: Right, I'll do that.

Mine Chief Gaton: That other bracer who came to run guard duty for us...Have you found him already?
Ridge? Um...
No, unfortunately. We haven't come across him yet.
Mine Chief Gaton: I was afraid of that. If you haven't seen him, head to the construction site. We last saw Ridge trying to buy us some time there.
...Okay. Thanks.
Mmm...We'll keep that in mind.

Yes, we've saved all of the miners, I believe.
In that case, all that's left is Ridge.
We haven't...seen any trace of him yet.
Gaton said he last saw Ridge by the construction site. He said Ridge was covering their escape...
Let's hurry. We may already be too late.
The construction site should be north of here.
Let's go, then!

Mine Chief Gaton: That bracer might still be around here. He was doing just about all he could to give us enough time to escape. Sure hope he's safe...
Miner Landan: I'm glad everyone's safe! I hope you find that other bracer soon, too.
Miner Bones: *pant* *pant* Th-That sure was scary...
Miner Trent: H-Hurry up and find everyone! I want out of here! *shudder*
Miner Pierre: Sweet Aidios, please save Your children! *mutter* *mumble*
Miner Heinrich: Pierre's praying again, I see. *sigh* I'm so sick of it that I can't even be bothered to complain anymore!

Ugh, this is hideous. It REEKS of monsters.
We won't be able to turn back once we go in...Estelle. Are you sure our equipment and everything is okay?

Put on some Faint and Blind defense before you proceed here.

Okay...We're as ready as we'll ever be, I think.
Let's go, then!

-Creeping Crisis-

Ridge!
RIDGE!

Ridge: What're you...doin' here...?
Ridge, don't worry, you fought well. You've done enough. Just relax.
Leave the rest to us.
Ridge: I get it...Cool...B-But...be careful...They don't just...

Mmm...?
Gh! Get back!

*ROOARRR*

The pack leader of the nest, possibly.
Haha! It's a strong foe, whatever it is!
Regardless of WHAT it is...It clearly doesn't like us being here.
Uh oh...
Estelle! Come on!

-Fight With Assailant-

This battle has STR+50% and HP+50% bonuses in play. I recommend not letting any of those go to the giant enemy crab with 28000 HP.

They're coming out of the walls! They're coming out of the god drat walls!

Giga Crash is the Fainting move.

Your fate...
IS IN MY HANDS!

Schera's Judgment Card has a random face, and inflicts a random ailment on its targets. That doesn't matter much here, unfortunately.

Ahhh ha ha!

Oh also the Hydra can just cancel the damage from your last S-Break when it feels like it. So that's cool.

Hooray for Strike quartz.

hey what's this now

:stonk:

O-Okay...It's dead...right?
I'm...pretty sure it is, yeah.
Everything else has gone quiet...Looks like that takes care of that.
Oh, crap! How's Ridge?!

We should carry him back to Rolent. He'll still need some rest, after all this.
Yeah, absolutely.
Let's get back to the elevator and get everyone to the surface, then.
Yes, let's go.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 01:26 on May 17, 2016

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
That guy will completely gently caress you up if you're not careful. He has an attacks that'll totally drain your EP and CP as well.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I really like the Armored Hydra, just for the sheer variety of tricks it has up its six sleeves. It's a long fight but not at all repetitive.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
When I fought that Hydra, I manged to gently caress up the turn order and let it get a full heal turn bonus when it was around 25% health.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Yeah, that boss is probably the most pressing reason you want to start out in Rolent before giving all but one of your zero field generators away.

Little request; take Schera and Tita to the event in town in the next update. They have some great reactions, being females.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I can only imagine how bumpy the elevator ride up out of the mine will be.

Also, that is not how I learned to dissect things in high school biology class. :stare:

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Geomancing posted:

So having just caught up, keep in mind that I haven't played the games. Was there a time, at any point, where the protagonists actually made headway against the Society and defeated or even set them back? Because it seems like it's been nothing but smug 'everything is going according to plan', 'we expected you to do just this', 'oh you're too weak to slow us down', 'this was just a test', 'you beat me but not really so I'm going to leave and there's nothing you can do about it' bullshittery from the word go. Gotta say, reading through it, it's REALLY annoying.

At no point so far have the protagonists caused any setback to the society. Yes, I too was getting annoyed at this by now.

I like how the party did try to use the ZFG here and how it was explicitly pointed out that even with the ZFG the elevator still wasn't working very well, so it can't be used to solve all the problems even if enough were available.

I did Rolent last, and the mine quest can only be done AFTER you hand over the ZFG, so I had a lot of problems with the boss. It's nasty. I had to start the fight over after getting wrecked by status effects.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Anyone who's fed up with Team Bright's lack of results against the Ouroboros Skull Eaters is going to either really love, or really hate the end of this chapter.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Poor Ridge, it must suck to be the one generic bracer something actually happens to.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

The Doomhammer posted:

Poor Ridge, it must suck to be the one generic bracer something actually happens to.

On the other hand, at least he gets to be remembered for some pretty heroic deeds. What are the other generic bracers remembered by? Sting's legacy is looking like Kurt in the first game and giving you a very double-edged sword-like quartz in the sequel. Melvin's legacy is probably retrieving some old man's dentals from the bottom of the harbor and suffering a cold because of it. Gundolf will be remembered for being absent from his home region when a major terrorist attack on the beating heart of the city took place. Wong at least got to look good beating up some armored rabbits in your presence, but it still doesn't compare to facing down hordes of subterranian monsters while defending scared miners.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

quote:

And so the crisis in the Malga Mine stemming from the orbal shutdown phenomenon ended safely.

quote:

After returning to the surface and celebrating their escape with the miners...Estelle's group carried on to town with Gaton to bring Ridge home and report their success.

-Town Where The Lights Went Out-

If things had gone even a little wrong, everything would have ended in tragedy.
Mine Chief Gaton: Yep. It was the missy here and her friends who saved us. Last time she came to help us, she seemed a little...unreliable. This time, though? Night and day. It's like a whole new person came to help.
Huh? H-Hey, now...I don't think I've changed, uh, all THAT much...
Mine Chief Gaton: Ain't no cause to be humble, missy. It's how I feel, and it's the truth.
I'm not entirely sure it's 'humility.'
Given that it's Estelle, I think she just hasn't realized how much she's changed.
Hmmhmm! I could see that.
Man...I THINK I'm being complimented, but somehow it doesn't feel all warm and fuzzy...
It IS hard to notice change in yourself, Estelle. Remember, people change little by little.
Mine Chief Gaton: Exactly right. I probably noticed 'cause it's been so darn long. Point is, missy, you did a hell of a job in there. Be proud.
Yes, Estelle, Joshua...And Zane, Schera, you too...You really did a fantastic job this time. I'm proud to call you all guildmates today!
Don't worry, it was a piece of cake!
We did the best we could.
It was all in a day's work.
If you really think that, Aina, buy me a drink next time.
Oh, just one? Are you sure?
Hmm-hmmmm. So long as you'll throw in for some Steinrose? Absolutely.
How does every conversation between these two come back to alcohol...?
As inevitable as death and taxes...
Mine Chief Gaton: Right, then. You all deserve a more proper thanks...I really need to get back to the mine, though. Despite everything that happened, we're gonna keep working.
Really? Wow.
Mine Chief Gaton: Yeah, we can still get plenty done in the upper levels. Give my best to Ridge, too, will you? Hope he ends up okay. Looked like he got worked over by a Cronocider...
He's suffered some injury, but he's a bracer. He'll pull through. In fact, he's already awake. He should be resting at the hotel right now.
Mine Chief Gaton: That's a relief. I'll be heading out then. Thanks again. You really saved our bacon.
Take care, Chief!
Good luck!
Mine Chief Gaton: See you!

You and Ridge both did great work today. Please, try and keep it up.
Of course!
I've also finished calculating the formal results of the mission. Just let me know when you want the payout.
We will!

quote:

Reported results for [Elize Highway Monster].
Payment in mira: 5500 (+0)
Gained BP: 5 (+0)
Reported results for [Milch Main Road Monster].
Payment in mira: 5000 (+0)
Gained BP: 5 (+0)
Reported results for [Rescue the Miners].
Payment in mira: 10000 (+0)
Gained BP: 8 (+0)

Rank advancement to [Senior Bracer - B+ Rank].
Received Strega B1 accessory as a perk.
You guys did great work out there today. I hope you'll keep up the pace.

The Topaz Gem you get from the Armored Hydra is your top-grade Defense quartz.

The Strega B1s provide excellent DEF and a stupidly high MOV bonus.

Ridge: Um...Thanks for what you did at the mine.
Not at all. You fought really well. Really. Your estimate has gone up in my mind.
Ridge: Wh...?
You bravely remained on site and protected all the miners...Your judgment in that difficult situation was flawless. No room to complain.
Yeah, definitely...And you were alone, after all, Ridge.
That's a far greater feat than anything we did.
Ridge: Th-Thanks...B-But I've still got a long way to go.
*sigh* That lack of confidence is your biggest failing.
You've got the skills, so hold your head high. It's thanks to you being here that I can be away, you know?
Ridge: Y-Yes...! I'll do my best and catch up to you as soon as I can!
Yeah, now you're talking.
Ridge: My body still hurts, but...I feel so satisfied somehow. I'm really...glad I became a bracer. Looking back over these events fills me with that feeling.

-Madrigal of the White Magnolia: Castle-

Haha. Nice timing.

Father Divine: ...Now. Please exchange your rings and seal your oath with a kiss...

Armand: Ellie...
Ellie: Armand...

Father Divine: In the name of the Goddess of creation, Aidios...Here and now, I declare you man and wife.

Ahaha, yeah. Gets you right in the heart, huh.
Yeah, it really does.
Ahhh, I really love her dress...
Oh! The ceremony's over, so now we get to the good stuff. Once the bride and groom leave, hurry outside.
Huh? Why?
Ah, yes...There's an event the women won't want to miss.

-Go In Good Cheer-

Sister May: All unmarried women, please step forward.

Young Woman: Ellieee! Throw it over heeeeere!
Seriously, everyone's getting into it.
You're damned right. C'mon, now, Estelle, stop wasting time! Check the wind and let's get a good spot!

She's...actually serious.
Ooo-ooooh...
Er. Tita. You're going for it too?
O-O-Okay, humidity 55%...Wind is east-southeast at 3.5 arge a second...Yeah...This should be the most likely spot.
I didn't think she'd be that serious...

Ellie: Well, everyone, don't be upset if it misses you! One, two...THREE!

Young Woman: Where're you throwing iiiiiit?!

Ellie what was that.

There never was a crow that stole her ring, was there? She flung it all the way up Esmelas Tower by accident, and Armand decided to save face for her by framing some innocent corvid.

*siiigh* I am doomed to spinsterdom, it seems.
Welllll...that flew off in a totally different direction. I wonder who even caught that?
Young Woman: Ummm...

Kitty: It just fell from the sky...
Ellie: Oh! So you picked it up? That's the wedding bouquet I threw.
Kitty: WHAAAAA?!
Armand: Congratulations, miss. I'm sure you have a wonderful future ahead of you!
Kitty: Oh, no, no, no...I-I-I...I'm not ready! What do I do?!

Y'know, I kinda think that ended up right where it belonged.
Hm, I suppose...
Heehee! The bouquet does look really pretty with her!

Father Divine: With...that, the wedding ceremony is now formally concluded!
Sister May: May Aidios' grace shine on you forevermore.
Ellie: Thank you, Sister May.
Armand: You too, Father Divine...Thank you so much.
Father Divine: Though our kingdom is beset on all sides by storms and turmoil. I pray to She Who Dwells Above that the new tree of your family weathers it all and grows strong and happy. If you wish to thank me, and all assembled, for this day, tend that tree and one another as I know you can.
Armand: ...We will! I swear!

-Welcome to Le Locle-

Ellie: I promise. I promise we'll be happy. Thank you so much for coming. Please, enjoy yourselves.
Armand: Hey, bracers! Thank you so much for coming! I'm glad you could attend the ceremony. There's been a lot of bad happenings lately, but enjoy yourselves while you can. It's a rare chance to celebrate, after all.

Elissa: Sorry it's so crowded. We have a wedding party in today. Thanks to that, our kitchen's an absolute battlefield right now. Not only are we crazy busy, but we can't use orbments...
Bride's Family: The bride's dress was beautifully tailored. Ahhh, I wish her father could have seen it...
I'm relieved the ceremony went okay. I'm sure her father was watching from heaven.
My sister's dress was so pretty. I wanna be a bride soon, too.
Bride's Friends: Ellie and Armand. They look really happy. I envy 'em...Maybe I should start seriously looking for someone.
Ellie was positively glowing today. I wonder if you can really change so much just by donning a dress.
It helps if it's easy to fight in.
Groom's Family: Armand was sooo cool at the wedding. It's the first time my brother's really seemed like a grown man.
No, no. Now that it's over, it was a wonderful wedding ceremony. Let us celebrate the future of our newly wedded couple with a drink!
Yeah, this place is as good as people say. The food is great. Thanks to that, my dress is feeling a bit tight already...

Faulkner: All right, just a bit more. This is where I gotta hold on. Excuse me. I'll take that.

Serra: Ahhhhh...The liquor's great today. It tastes even better since it's free! I helped dress her, so I have the right to attend the party, right?

Densel: Pleasant conversation, well wishing...And delicious food to commemorate the moment. Mmm, this is perfect. This is a happy moment for me as a cook.

Tabitha: I'm still worried about stock, but we can manage with a few of my tricks. If we can keep this up, then we can stay open for business.

Father Divine: Did you all attend as well?
Ah, yeah.
Yes, a little at the very end.
Father Divine: It is worthwhile to contemplate such turning points in life. After all, it's not such a long way away for you.
Freemont: Ahh, weddings are so touching. Remembering our own time made me a bit wet in the eyes. W-We're not even family, either...It's a bit embarrassing.
Euridice: It was such a wonderful ceremony that I just want to bask in the moment for a bit...So my husband and I decided to remain here for a bit. This might be the first time my husband and I have come to the chapel since our wedding ceremony...Hmm-hmm, sometime soon we might just have to come back here and go over our own oaths again.

Pat: And, um, Mom made Luke come along with us, too. I kinda feel bad for Luke.
Luke: Man, Pat's mom is SO mean! I was just playing here, and she came and dragged me to church. And then she said I had to sit still and be quiet for, like, ever! And ever! What is it with adults and doing boring stuff? I'm never gonna have a wedding, even when I grow up!

Ida: *siiiiiiiiiigh* I wish I could set up a wedding like that for Aryll. Heeey, Aryllll! You should talk to your man about it!
Aryll: Nya~o.

Claire: I heard you're already hard at work! You saved everyone over at the mine, right?
You really don't miss a beat, do you?
If anything, you're hearing about things even faster now. I'm impressed.
Claire: You only just got back and you're already doing great things! That's the Estelle and Joshua I know! If you keep this up, I bet you'll figure out what the floating island is in no time! Remember to give me the scoop when you do! Hmmmmmmmmmmmm...mmm. There's nothing really neato happening at Armand's wedding. But! Even the boring news is needed to put a paper together! The Liberl News taught me that! Yeah, when you think about it like that, Armand's wedding is a perfect page-filler!

Rinon: She sure was acting super cheerful for some reason. I guess something good happened?

Kitty: I didn't think I'd catch the wedding bouquet...Heehee, I wonder if it'll actually work its magic on me?
Bloom: The ceremony today was quite lovely. It really hit me right in the heart. I want Rinon to have a ceremony that lovely...

Anya: But then he had to go right back to work...

Frissa: Apparently there was a little trouble at the mine, but it seems they're going to keep working anyway. You'd think if he was coming home, he'd at least STAY home at a time like this. Well, I know that stubborn head of his, and there's no stopping him when he's like this.

-Rock on the Road-

Miner Landan: The other miners are already back to work. You're welcome to go say hello if you like.
I could see mistaking Joshua for a lady after all the dresses he's had to wear, but Zane? I think Landan's been down in this mine too long.

Mine Chief Gaton: Thanks to you kids, we're already hard at work again. The elevator's still a busted piece of junk, but there's no use whining about it. We're just trying to mine whatever we can for now. Wish we had something like that thing you used.

Miner Pierre: I get the feeling this whole thing was some kind of Divine Providence from Aidios Herself. I mean, this accident was something else. What do you think She was trying to tell us? I'm sure this whole mess was some kind of message from the Goddess! I'm going to comb through the Testaments again and see if I can figure out exactly what She's telling us.
Killer animal beasts are usually some kind of environmental message. Are you guys remembering to recycle and avoid littering?
Miner Heinrich: Pierre's going on and on about the Goddess being responsible for all this, as usual. Can't say I'm surprised, but...makes you wonder if he knows who really saved us. Hmph! If something like this happens again, can you do me a favor and NOT save him? That nitwit won't ever figure out a drat thing unless we shake him up a little!

Miner Trent: Work started just as I was finally about to go back and eat my lunch! So hungry...Can't...move...

Miner Bones: That's what he gets for only trying to save his own rear end during the accident! Man, though...Don't think I've ever seen someone run that fast. Maybe he could try moving like that when he's working for once.

-A Cat Relaxing in the Sun-

Royal Guardsman: This farm's nice and peaceful, but I'm worried about the other regions in the kingdom.

Royal Guardsman: It's so peaceful here, I'm halfway forgetting that we're in a state of emergency.

Tio: And it's causing lots of problems, since we can't use our pump or our greenhouse. Phew! Carrying buckets is a pain when you haven't done it in a while. And I haven't done it in a loooong time!

Chere: Some soldiers came by the house last night. Me and Mom made some sandwiches. The soldiers were really happy. I-I'll make one for you next time, okay?

Will: I'm helping Dad out with his work, just like you guys! With the orbments all busted, we all gotta pitch in.

Hannah: I'm sure they must realize how tough we've got it right now. Haha, I never thought the loss of orbment functionality would help bring us all together like this.

Franz: Guess tonight we'll have no choice but to cook on the hearth like in the old days. The kids prefer it that way anyway, so it's no big deal. I'm sure they'll be running around without a care no matter how they get their food. And we're just grateful they're getting it!

After all that 'Come back when you're done working' and 'You deserve a proper reward' talk, I was hoping the mine or the farm would have some kind of awesome new stuff. Oh well.

That's about all we can do for Rolent for the time being. Time to move on again.

That entire incident is just one more side-effect of this massive orbal crisis. If that happened here, I shudder to think what else may be happening to our neighbors. Be careful, friends. I fear the danger has only just begun.
You betcha!
We'll be careful, Mayor Klaus.

You can switch up your party at any Bracer Guild branch with a working phone.

No problem. I'll give the other branches a call right now.

quote:

Aina contacted the other branches and had members on standby assemble.

-Border Patrol Isn't Easy-

Warrant Officer Graves: On that glory and tradition, we swear to protect this place.
Private Ethan: Apparently the gate function's still not fixed. Man, I don't want to spend the night with it wide open like that.
Private Logan: It's a real blow to the Royal Army to have our airships grounded. After all, they're our country's ace in the hole when it comes to defense. The Empire has an air force too, but their main strength is their ground troops. Even if they're affected by this Orbal Shutdown mess, it won't be as bad as we have it.

Private Anden: We still don't have the slightest idea what it is. Talk about creepy...It's just floating there, but that makes it creepier...
We all float down here.

Emily: If I can't use my oven, then maybe I should make it all cold meals. A cold soup, a salad, and a carpaccio. How's that sound? It'll kind of end up as an appetizer selection, but that's kind of stylish, so it's okay, right? The problem might end up being getting enough to fill everyone's stomachs.

CWO Robin: If there's any exception, it'd be the Wolf Fort, but...Well, they take things at their own pace there.

Private Thomas: I wonder how the Empire will react to these events. We just signed a non-aggression pact with them, so I doubt they'll do anything too crazy, but still...

Private Stoll: Feels like something out of a fairy tale. It's just been one crazy thing after another in the kingdom lately. At this rate, I suppose the Goddess'll drop in for lunch next...Oops, pardon me. Didn't mean to insult She Above.
Private Barranco: Really, it's just one crazy event after the other. Compared to things these days, that coup d'etat from before almost seems like a game.

Coming up: Grancel.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 01:25 on May 17, 2016

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 14:11 on May 30, 2016

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
If you don't give the Stregas to Estelle, you have no heart.

That is all.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

If I had been thinking I would actually have given her the Duende Slippers for this chapter, since she's doing all the arts when Schera's not around.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i never saw the wedding event because i didn't do the sidequest to find their ring

Love is Over

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Cake Attack posted:

i never saw the wedding event because i didn't do the sidequest to find their ring

Love is Over

I'm actually curious now how much of the game actually changes if you do absolutely nothing to help the townsfolk. Does it just omit certain scenes or do people have new things to say? Or does little at all change?

I'd replay it to find out but that seems like more work than its worth.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Use a New Game+ save file on Normal? Just bash through the regular combat and you'll be done under 10-15 hours, which is fairly quick for the genre.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
So how

the gently caress

did I miss that this thread was happening until now

Well now I know it's happening so it's time to get on this ride.

What's up, y'all. So fellow Goon BlondRobin and I are in large part responsible for the English localization of the game you are reading in this thread at this moment. BlondRobin handled base translation of the entire goddamn game, and I handled the script edit of roughly half the game - if it's in the main quest, on an airship, out in the field, in the prologue, or largely in the Bose and to a lesser extent Rolent regions, you're reading my work with a tiny handful of exceptions. The rest was handled by Jess Chavez of XSEED after... well, stuff happened.

I am way the gently caress behind on this here thread and I'd kind of wanted to follow an LP as it went along, but if any of y'all have questions or comments, I'd be more than happy to field them, at least so long as Really Pants doesn't mind me coming in and clogging up the thread with posts. :v: Despite all the problems this game ran into, I am still extremely, extremely proud of this game and I do think it's some of the best work I've ever done as a localization professional. A few bits and bobs from my draft didn't make it in, but that's being third party for you.

And yeah, looking forward to the rest of this chapter, it ends nicely. And I've gotten here just in time for the really good stuff. :getin:

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Actually I do have a question, and coincidentally it's about the character in your avatar.

Was Kevin's dialogue supposed to come off as vaguely southern? Or was that you guys' touch? I like it and it works for the character (even though I didn't like him until spoilers guys, jeez), I was just curious.

EDIT: Also, you have every reason to be proud. This and the original are one of the best (if not THE best) localizations I've ever seen.

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Mar 28, 2016

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Tita trying to calculate the most likely place the bouquet would land is pretty amusing. As is Estelle's bemusement as to how serious everyone else is taking it while she just makes up the numbers. Mind you, if Estelle had caught it she (and Joshua) would have never heard the end of it.

I also had no idea this scene even existed until someone pointed it out in the Falcom thread.

quote:

What's up, y'all. So fellow Goon BlondRobin and I are in large part responsible for the English localization of the game you are reading in this thread at this moment. BlondRobin handled base translation of the entire goddamn game, and I handled the script edit of roughly half the game - if it's in the main quest, on an airship, out in the field, in the prologue, or largely in the Bose and to a lesser extent Rolent regions, you're reading my work with a tiny handful of exceptions. The rest was handled by Jess Chavez of XSEED after... well, stuff happened.

Thanks for all your work! If not for this game I'd never have got into this series so I'm sure glad it finally got done.

The Doomhammer fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Mar 28, 2016

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

SpaceDrake posted:

And yeah, looking forward to the rest of this chapter, it ends nicely. And I've gotten here just in time for the really good stuff. :getin:

I'm looking forward to the A rank scene, mostly because I didn't actually get that in my playthrough and I'm imagining the off-screen reactions of a large part of the audience.

Who was the most fun character to edit?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

SpaceDrake posted:

I am way the gently caress behind on this here thread and I'd kind of wanted to follow an LP as it went along, but if any of y'all have questions or comments, I'd be more than happy to field them, at least so long as Really Pants doesn't mind me coming in and clogging up the thread with posts. :v: Despite all the problems this game ran into, I am still extremely, extremely proud of this game and I do think it's some of the best work I've ever done as a localization professional. A few bits and bobs from my draft didn't make it in, but that's being third party for you.

do it, post all the posts, don't stop until the servers crash

And you definitely did a fantastic job with this script, you should be proud.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 28, 2016

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Tita made the fatal mistake of assuming a perfect launcher rather than working off the psychology of the individual. Just goes to show why engineers will never find love, or something.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Actually I do have a question, and coincidentally it's about the character in your avatar.

Was Kevin's dialogue supposed to come off as vaguely southern? Or was that you guys' touch? I like it and it works for the character (even though I didn't like him until spoilers guys, jeez), I was just curious.

In Japanese, Kevin speaks in full-blown Kansai dialect. It's sufficiently thick that it gets discussed in Sky 3rd.

There's always been a long-running debate about how best to handle this dialect in the J-E translation community; most commonly it is treated as being roughly analogous to the accent/dialect of the "American South", particularly Texas, in opposition to the "General American" of folks from the West Coast/Great Lakes/most of New England. This isn't completely without logic - the Kansai region is located west and slightly to the south of Kanto/Tokyo, which serves as the home of modern "standard" Japanese, and in some ways it's an "older" sort of Japanese, and is from a former center of power that has now become relatively "provincial" but still culture-rich. It also inspires a lot of ferocious counter-arguments, however - the relationship between the two regions is little like that between the South and the rest of America, Kansai as a region is not very similar to the South itself, and of course what about English speakers outside of America?

The real thing to remember, however, is that Kansai dialect, especially in the post-war period, has come to be seen as the dialect of comedy, in many ways. The Wiki article touches on this, but there's a fair bit of history to it and these days it's pretty much universal - to the point that comedians from outside Kansai often still feel the need to affect the dialect. And with Kevin, of course, this is the real point - he is A Funny Man who does the funny things and always has a ready joke or quip and tries to lighten the mood. More than "Southern" or "Kansai" or whatnot, Kevin's accent is capital-c Comedy. That, above all, is what's meant to be reflected in his dialogue - every line of his should (hopefully!) be at least a little amusing.

He probably will still read as a little "southern" in a few parts, simply because his English rendition does have him cutting some words a little short (especially clipping off "g"s) to keep him sounding fast-talking, and I think the tiny handful of lines I didn't do final pass on come across a bit more "twangy" than his other lines, but above all his accent is meant to more personify a concept than a region.

And there is, of course, another facet to this we can discuss once the game comes to an end.

As far as the voicework goes, that was set in stone before we ever worked on the game - it was easier for XSEED to do the voice work for Sky in a batch, even through to 3rd, because there wasn't a lot of it to start with and it all required the same actors anyway. According to Tom at XSEED, they did try to go for a "light Bostonian" sound with the voice, and I did keep that in mind while writing him.

Omobono posted:

Who was the most fun character to edit?

Toss-up between Kevin and Weissmann. Kevin is just, y'know, Kevin. Weissmann was also tons of fun, though, simply because he's lifting an entire roast pig and chowing the gently caress down on it in every single scene he's in, both in Japanese and here. That whole scene with the pipe organ is basically the perfect Weissmann.gif summary of the character. Especially when they're at least somewhat meta-aware (and Weissmann is more than somewhat), characters like that are always fun to write.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Mar 28, 2016

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I am still trying to process how Ellie managed to gently caress up a bouquet toss that badly. Just...HOW? :psyduck:

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

AradoBalanga posted:

I am still trying to process how Ellie managed to gently caress up a bouquet toss that badly. Just...HOW? :psyduck:

Maybe her heel slipped

SpaceDrake posted:

In Japanese, Kevin speaks in full-blown Kansai dialect. It's sufficiently thick that it gets discussed in Sky 3rd.

There's always been a long-running debate about how best to handle this dialect in the J-E translation community; most commonly it is treated as being roughly analogous to the accent/dialect of the "American South", particularly Texas, in opposition to the "General American" of folks from the West Coast/Great Lakes/most of New England. This isn't completely without logic - the Kansai region is located west and slightly to the south of Kanto/Tokyo, which serves as the home of modern "standard" Japanese, and in some ways it's an "older" sort of Japanese, and is from a former center of power that has now become relatively "provincial" but still culture-rich. It also inspires a lot of ferocious counter-arguments, however - the relationship between the two regions is little like that between the South and the rest of America, Kansai as a region is not very similar to the South itself, and of course what about English speakers outside of America?

The real thing to remember, however, is that Kansai dialect, especially in the post-war period, has come to be seen as the dialect of comedy, in many ways. The Wiki article touches on this, but there's a fair bit of history to it and these days it's pretty much universal - to the point that comedians from outside Kansai often still feel the need to affect the dialect. And with Kevin, of course, this is the real point - he is A Funny Man who does the funny things and always has a ready joke or quip and tries to lighten the mood. More than "Southern" or "Kansai" or whatnot, Kevin's accent is capital-c Comedy. That, above all, is what's meant to be reflected in his dialogue - every line of his should (hopefully!) be at least a little amusing.

He probably will still read as a little "southern" in a few parts, simply because his English rendition does have him cutting some words a little short (especially clipping off "g"s) to keep him sounding fast-talking, and I think the tiny handful of lines I didn't do final pass on come across a bit more "twangy" than his other lines, but above all his accent is meant to more personify a concept than a region.

And there is, of course, another facet to this we can discuss once the game comes to an end.

As far as the voicework goes, that was set in stone before we ever worked on the game - it was easier for XSEED to do the voice work for Sky in a batch, even through to 3rd, because there wasn't a lot of it to start with and it all required the same actors anyway. According to Tom at XSEED, they did try to go for a "light Bostonian" sound with the voice, and I did keep that in mind while writing him.

Toss-up between Kevin and Weissmann. Kevin is just, y'know, Kevin. Weissmann was also tons of fun, though, simply because he's lifting an entire roast pig and chowing the gently caress down on it in every single scene he's in, both in Japanese and here. That whole scene with the pipe organ is basically the perfect Weissmann.gif summary of the character. Especially when they're at least somewhat meta-aware (and Weissmann is more than somewhat), characters like that are always fun to write.

The dialogue fits him like a glove. I've lived in the south my entire life and I know so many guys exactly like him, down to the earring (although they tend to lean towards red and blue for hair color).

I'd imagine it'd be a hard call overall. These games are chock full of fun characters. Olivier will always be my favorite, probably because he reminds me of me (I love hamming it up), but they're all fantastic. Even Kloe and Agate, probably the most serious characters overall, have hilarious moments.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

AradoBalanga posted:

The power of Kitty needing to GIT HITCHED to a certain item shop owner, that's how. :v:

Also, there actually is dialogue if you bring one or both of the dudes to the wedding event - in this case, Joshua will also have a brief comment, and Estelle will also actually participate.

This is technically from my draft of the script, rather than the printed game itself, but it should be pretty close.

"Ah, as I understand it, the lady who catches the bouquet is likely to be married next? An interesting tradition!"
"Haha! Easy to see why some of the ladies in attendance are so worked up."
-
"Oi, the bouquet throw..."
"Man, guys don't understand this stuff. I guess it's exciting, but some of those ladies look more bloodthirsty than anything."
-
"It is the most exciting part of a wedding, in some ways." (In response to either/both)
-
"Oh, what the hay, I might as well participate too. I am a comely maiden in the flower of womanhood... or something, I guess."

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

The dialogue fits him like a glove. I've lived in the south my entire life and I know so many guys exactly like him, down to the earring (although they tend to lean towards red and blue for hair color).

Yeah, I would imagine a lot of folks know A Kevin. That's one of the reasons I went with a more cap-c Comedy focus - regional dialects are one thing, but comedy, as it turns out, is rather universal to us all.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I'd imagine it'd be a hard call overall. These games are chock full of fun characters. Olivier will always be my favorite, probably because he reminds me of me (I love hamming it up), but they're all fantastic. Even Kloe and Agate, probably the most serious characters overall, have hilarious moments.

As full disclosure, Olivier is one of the characters who got a bit more put into him after I turned in my draft. A lot of my work survives, but Jess Chavez also made a number of changes, almost all for the better. English Olivier in FC was in no small part a result of her hard work, so it wasn't a surprise to see her making sure he continued to shine in SC.

(There were one or two little spots that I'm sad didn't quite make it into the game as printed, though.)

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

SpaceDrake posted:

(There were one or two little spots that I'm sad didn't quite make it into the game as printed, though.)

Anything that comes to mind? I too know the pain of writing something great that doesn't get appreciated :negative:

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

It should also be mentioned that in Trails of Cold Steel, one of the localizers made the decision to localize a character with a thick kansai accent similar to Kevin's as a thick scottish accent which ends up being one of the funniest NPCs in the game.

Could you even imaging thick accent irish catholic priest Kevin?

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

SpaceDrake posted:

I am curious - I recall at some point you mentioned you might talk about the reasons you localized certain Enforcer titles the way you did, in contrast to the more literal version. If I recall correctly, the main two mentioned were Walter (Direwolf) and Loewe (Bladelord), though Renne might have been in there too. Did I completely miss where you did so elsewhere, and if not, would you mind doing so here?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

wasn't walter's originally The Lanky Wolf

because that sounds really dumb in english, im not sure much more explanation for the change is needed there

e: Loewe was Emperor of Swords right? Bladelord honestly isn't even a very liberal translation, it basically means the exact same thing, it just has a much better ring to it in english

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Mar 28, 2016

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Cake Attack posted:

wasn't walter's originally The Lanky Wolf

because that sounds really dumb in english, im not sure much more explanation for the change is needed there

e: Loewe was Emperor of Swords right? Bladelord honestly isn't even a very liberal translation, it basically means the exact same thing, it just has a much better ring to it in english

I agree, I just remember the topic came up and he said something about possibly making a blog post on it at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Cyouni posted:

I am curious - I recall at some point you mentioned you might talk about the reasons you localized certain Enforcer titles the way you did, in contrast to the more literal version. If I recall correctly, the main two mentioned were Walter (Direwolf) and Loewe (Bladelord), though Renne might have been in there too. Did I completely miss where you did so elsewhere, and if not, would you mind doing so here?

Part of the reason I went looking for this on a kind of lark ("oh hey, I wonder if Cake Attack started that SC LP and I just didn't hear about it - oh") is that I'm drawing up that blog post right now, in fact, with the hope of having it up on Trails' exact five-year English anniversary on the 29th. It's something that should probably be posted somewhere with a little wider exposure than a forum post, 'cause yeah, a lot of people ask about Direwolf, Bladelord and even Angel of Slaughter.

• Locked thread