Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I bought Raw Data. I caved in. I caved in hard. It's the best game out on Vive right now. Knifegrab, if you still want a detailed review of the game for the OP I'll have one done by this time tomorrow.

FWIW, I do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miffroon
May 7, 2006
Owe's mansex to Hotwire

Bremen posted:

Is anyone playing Raw Data on a GTX 970? I'm interested in the game but concerned how well it would run on my system.

I am, I've not played since I turned down the settings. The game auto'd me for 'ultra' but it's got issues after a couple waves and gets kinda choppy. I'd assume it's much better on lower settings, but even on ultra I wasn't having too many problems.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/star-wars-trials-on-tatooine-for-htc-vive-gets-rel/1100-6441878/

2 days til authentic Star Wars lightsaber action!

mliecah
Apr 17, 2011

bonerchamp

Nice, just wanna see price and how much content there is. I'm fine buying arcade games that entertain for only a couple hours as long as the price point fits that too.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

mliecah posted:

Nice, just wanna see price and how much content there is. I'm fine buying arcade games that entertain for only a couple hours as long as the price point fits that too.

Free is the best price.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Raw Data is like Space Pirate Trainer taken to another level. Anyone who enjoyed SPT should get it immediately. Totally worth the money.

ephori fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jul 17, 2016

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?
PSA: The official black Wii Remote straps are back in stock on Nintendo's store - 2 for ~$6 shipped.

https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/us/p...goryId=cat10003

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
:lol: at Raw Data being standing room compatible when legless robots are a thing.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Decided to try swapping out the face cushion for a trimmed piece of washcloth to get my eyeballs right up to the lenses and people are right, it does make a huge difference in fov and clear area. Only problem is the nose guard now ever-so-slightly pinches the bridge of my nose just enough to noticeably restrict the passage of air.

I wish I remembered where the hell I put that thin cushion.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

This is probably only relevant for top-tier autists, but if you want to slip on your Vive and get a polygonized version of your actual VR room, this makes for an excellent tutorial:
https://alexszeto.blogspot.com.au/2016/07/the-absolute-zero-experience-required.html

I actually re-used my renovation plans that I made in sketchup so I managed to throw something together pretty quick. I need to make some adjustments but even now it's pretty dang cool flipping between the real world and the VR world, windows, walls, and pillar and screen where they all should be.

I'd love to be able to use the same geometry for the Chaperone overlay.

EDIT: Also this makes me really, really want a Sketchup VR. I'd be able to do all of this in real time then.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Jul 17, 2016

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Raw Data is a shooter/slasher where you play as either a GUN CLERIC or CYBER NINJA (with more, hopefully equally well named, classes soon to come). What sets it apart from the other wave-based shooters is that this game features Overwatch-style hero abilities and the best teleporting out there and online co-op.

Setting:

The game is set in Neo-Shinjuku, which I'd assume is a part of Cyberpunk Tokyo. You (and some buddies) infiltrate the Eden Corp tower, going deeper and deeper into it in search for some data to expose their evilness. The main hub area, the Showroom, is a nice place to invite friends, test new heroes and abilities and generally do things. The area isn't too dissimilar to Warframe's hub, especially with the displays you interact with.

Gameplay:

Currently, there are two heroes and four missions. Don't let that put you off, because that's a healthy chunk of content already. Each class only has one weapon currently, but they've put a lot of work into making those weapons work. The teleport function is more of a dash, which helps create a sense of movement and makes it easier to track your position in the world. The vive controllers mimic hands, and they work surprisingly well. If you try to hold a pistol two-handed or rest it on your wrist for a stable shot, it genuinely looks like you're doing so in game instead of a janky mess. Same with two-handing a sword.

The Gun Cleric's pistol is superbly well animated, and feels great to fire. You reload the gun by grabbing a clip from your hip and bringing it to the pistol, and that is a very nice motion that feels totally natural. The gun also has a charged shot, and a secondary fire mode that makes it into a machine-pistol. Headshots are superbly satisfying, and if the enemies come too close you can always whack them with the gun itself.

The Cyber Ninja is a little more limited. He only has his sword, which you can wield either one handed or two handed. If you hold it two handed, a good tip is to put your dominant controller through the hole of the other one. It mimics a two-handed grip perfectly. You can also throw the sword, and use a ground-pound ability which feels surprisingly great and not motion-sickness inducing at all. Throwing the sword feels a lot more accurate than throwing knives in Budget Cuts, and its easier to pick up from the beginning. The sword also comes back Jedi style, so you can move your hand to affect its return trajectory to hit more bad guys. You can also reflect shots, though that seems more random than anything as to where the shots will go.

It's not all perfect though, as the 9 different types of enemies don't have any variety in animation, and melee combat with them is not fun at all. You can punch them, but you never have any real reason to, as enemies that come close to you prefer to clip through you than be on you.

Audio:

Audio is this game's major weakness. The audio balance greatly changes based on where you're facing, so the two companion voices may feel surprisingly far away. Even worse, the enemy shots are too quiet for you to pick out which direction they're coming from, unlike Space Pirate Trainer. This leads to a great deal of frustration, but not as bad as the horrendous in-game VoIP. Playing with a random pubby, I was deafened immediately by him chatting to a friend. No game but Valiant has gotten VoIP working correctly in VR though, so while this is a large problem it is in part to be expected.

Conclusion:

This game is the best game on the Vive right now, which suffers from major annoyances, but which are nothing but annoyances that can be easily patched out over time. It's worth every penny right now, and will only get better. This is the first real big budget Vive game, and has dethroned the Budget Cuts demo as the best game on the Vive so far. You won't regret buying it, but at this stage you'll find yourself mildly annoyed from time to time, but then remember you are a GUN CLERIC and ignore the issues entirely.

I played the game on a 980 Ti with an i7-4930k processor and 64 GB of RAM. The only issues framerate wise I hit were when the base stations lost tracking of my headset. After I could see again, there was a major frame drop that calmed down afterwards.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
What's the deal with Vive availability now? I just saw it in stock at a local store for a cool grand (gently caress that) but then I went to the official page and they won't even let me order! I thought I'd be able to get one lightly used for $100-200 less off ebay soon but they're still going for a premium.

Also just saw this thing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HTC-Vive-co...wcAAOSw0kNXh2iw

for sale for like 35 bucks :lol:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

If anybody is still undecided on whether or not to buy Raw Data, I'm streaming it on and off for the next few hours. The game's rather tiring, so I'll take multiple breaks.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

If anybody is still undecided on whether or not to buy Raw Data, I'm streaming it on and off for the next few hours. The game's rather tiring, so I'll take multiple breaks.

cool

you might want to fix your window in OBS or whatever though.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Iridium posted:

cool

you might want to fix your window in OBS or whatever though.

Done, first time the game crashed on me and the window was fine then. Oh fiddly vive games.

E: And that was fun. Got a good multiplayer buddy as well, was a good time. Get Raw Data because it is very good. Have the video of the session, including some multiplayer.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 17, 2016

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

God those torso bots in the second mission of Raw Data are a pain in the rear end. Half the time you can't even hit them with the sword if they grab you so you gotta dash away and get them as they jump in. Also those exploder bots need a radius nerf, I failed the mission in stage 5 because they'll seriously damage the data core if you're anywhere near it when they blow up. Or maybe make headshots kill them without blowing up.

Miffroon
May 7, 2006
Owe's mansex to Hotwire
I'm guessing no, but is there a way to turn off rendering the game onto my monitors and just have it for the two viewports on the Vive? I'm getting some horrible stutter in Raw Data during later waves and I'm hoping that having one less render of the game happening might help me out a bit with that.

edit: And for anyone who's not played or seen much of Raw Data and wants to take a look. I've got a 15 minute video of me playing the ninja character, it's not great quality and my mic sucks. But I put it out there to show a couple of my friends who are on the fence for buying it.

I'm bad at games.

Miffroon fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jul 18, 2016

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Miffroon posted:

I'm guessing no, but is there a way to turn off rendering the game onto my monitors and just have it for the two viewports on the Vive? I'm getting some horrible stutter in Raw Data during later waves and I'm hoping that having one less render of the game happening might help me out a bit with that.
Most games aren't rendering a third viewport, its just an undistorted mirror of one of the eyes. Probably a pretty negligible impact on performance.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Miffroon posted:

edit: And for anyone who's not played or seen much of Raw Data and wants to take a look. I've got a 15 minute video of me playing the ninja character, it's not great quality and my mic sucks. But I put it out there to show a couple of my friends who are on the fence for buying it.

I'm bad at games.

I was getting stuttering as well during that mission. 980 Ti all setting to low and resolution at 1.0x. Probably the game engine itself that's causing the problems.

Miffroon
May 7, 2006
Owe's mansex to Hotwire
I'm typically alright running games on higher settings, but myself and friends have seen bits of slowdown taking place during it. I'm hoping a week or so down the line it receives a few optimisation passes, I really enjoy playing it, but the choppiness can make me get a little dizzy at times.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I saw on NeoGaf peopl etlaking about things like reprojection and other variables. if all I want to do is play vr games and not tool around with settings etc is that possible or is it basically lik the 90s of PC gaming where you have to tinker for two hours before you play

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Abu Dave posted:

I saw on NeoGaf peopl etlaking about things like reprojection and other variables. if all I want to do is play vr games and not tool around with settings etc is that possible or is it basically lik the 90s of PC gaming where you have to tinker for two hours before you play

Then I'd wait for the PSVR, that's going to be the most plug and play VR system around.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

There aren't really a whole lot of settings to mess with, but you definitely run into some PC gaming rear end situations where its like "okay why the gently caress isn't this working" and you have to jack out for a minute to fix it

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I wish the home area had the grip to calibrate that pool nation VR has. It sucks having to walk the the edge of my place space then forward again to actually make Desktop mode usable. Let me just pull it towards me.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
Trials on Tatooine are expected to be out on Steam later today.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/07/18/star-wars-trials-on-tatooine-free/

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

~snipped review of raw data~

Thanks, I added it to the OP! I need to catch up on Vive games but I'm a bit broke atm.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I'm trying to run elite in 2d (hosed up, I know), but steamVR runs anyway. Short of removing it from steam, is there any way for me to prevent it doing it?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Truga posted:

I'm trying to run elite in 2d (hosed up, I know), but steamVR runs anyway. Short of removing it from steam, is there any way for me to prevent it doing it?

You should be able to change it within the options of the game itself? Turn of the stereo video option and it should revert.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
No I mean the steamVR client thing with the green vive/controller/lighthouse icons. Elite runs it whether I run it in VR mode or not. It's not a big deal but it'd be nice if the HDM stayed off when I'm not actually using it.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
lol my arm is sore as gently caress from throwing that drat sword. it wouldn't be so bad if you didn't need to hit the horizontal angles to be most effective.

a toggle would also be great to let you use the trigger as throw rather than grips. I get what they're going for but it actually feels less realistic and 'weirder' to hold with your top fingers and let go with the bottom than it would be to hold with the bottom and let go with your top couple of fingers.

still haven't beaten the second level because I get a weird bug where the game freezes every time I die. I can get to the last wave pretty consistently but the swarm of blowuppy guys at the end makes me panic every time. also its a super odd decision to put the crawlers into the second level like that, especially when their mechanics are clearly a bit rough. weird difficulty curve. please tell me levels 3 and 4 aren't in the dark also.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jul 18, 2016

Amused Frog
Sep 8, 2006
Waah no fair my thread!
Trials of Tatooine is disappointing.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Solely because of its length. It's such a high quality production, but it just doesn't work if your room is 2x2 or smaller (thankfully though the game skips the bit that makes it unwinnable if you have too little space) and it's far too short. Loved the ten minutes that we got though, it was a good bit of fun for the low low price of free.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Annoying that steam nerds are leaving lovely reviews because it didn't hold up their hyped up standards. it still cool as heck, just short, and didn't pretend to be otherwise.

Amused Frog
Sep 8, 2006
Waah no fair my thread!

Solely because of its length. It's such a high quality production, but it just doesn't work if your room is 2x2 or smaller (thankfully though the game skips the bit that makes it unwinnable if you have too little space) and it's far too short. Loved the ten minutes that we got though, it was a good bit of fun for the low low price of free.

Which bit is the skippable bit?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Amused Frog posted:

Which bit is the skippable bit?

When Han tells you to push buttons. I just shouted at him and he did it for me after a while.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ordered mine on saturday now im impatiently awaiting it to ship :derp:

that said, is there a way to see all the experiences on steam or are they all under the VR games label also

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
Really enjoyed the Trials of Tatooine demo. Short, but very sweet.

One thing that stood out to me is that this is another example of why VR really needs to be experienced. In the screenshots and trailers, I didn't pay much attention to seeing R2D2 there, but I had a completely different feeling when he rolled out of the Falcon and up to me. I mean, it was like "It's freakin' R2D2 and he's here, right in front of me". That sense of your brain tricking you into thinking that there's something right in front of you is really something that people need to experience, it's just not something that you can tell to people.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah, you think you have a good idea of how big the Falcon is watching it in the movies for 30 years but when it swoops down and lands right on top of you realize the Falcon Is Really loving Big.

Abu Dave posted:

ordered mine on saturday now im impatiently awaiting it to ship :derp:

that said, is there a way to see all the experiences on steam or are they all under the VR games label also
Everything is in the VR section now. The Vive/Rift categorization comes right out of the metadata that makes stuff launch out of SteamVR, so there's no way for devs to gently caress up and mislabel anymore like in the DK2 days

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Truga posted:

No I mean the steamVR client thing with the green vive/controller/lighthouse icons. Elite runs it whether I run it in VR mode or not. It's not a big deal but it'd be nice if the HDM stayed off when I'm not actually using it.

Yeah, that's pretty annoying. I just disconnect the Vive when playing Elite in 2D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

mobby_6kl posted:

What's the deal with Vive availability now? I just saw it in stock at a local store for a cool grand (gently caress that) but then I went to the official page and they won't even let me order!
When you say "the official page" are you talking about HTC's official page? I just went over and put one in a cart which shows it as "in stock" so maybe you should try again.

• Locked thread