Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
please gently caress my retard mouth with a vanguard dick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
YPG is good, but they cannot govern Syria.

Jihadists are bad, and they cannot govern Syria.

Assad is a messy bitch who lives for drama.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

lollontee posted:

:confused:

Look, I'm trying to communicate with you in the most polite way I can muster, but I'm starting to think you're ignoring what I'm saying for some reason.

The project of political administration in the context of democratic confederalism is explicitly opposed to the power of the nation-state. I cannot understand how you jump from that fact, to the assertion that a Democratic Confederation would be viable and content in living under the undemocratic authority of a nation-state. And in the case of the states that the Kurdish people have so far had to live under, nation-states with long and proud histories of genocides against them

Sorry, I get annoyed when people keep asking me to provide quotes when I've got the primary source already posted because it feels like they don't want to read, and it feels like bad faith questions.

The reason the PKK/YPG "Ocalanists" are content to be part of Turkey or Syria is because having their own state is an existential threat in a region where absolutely nobody wants an independent Kurdistan. Democratic Confederalism is an adaptive strategy from the PKK and Ocalan's roots as a Marxist-Leninist party, where they figured that if it's impossible to be de jure independent then they may as well have practical independence through direct control of local government. They not only borrow from Bookchinite ideas of communal stateless rule, they also lift heavily from Mao's concept of the cadre forming a government in parallel which makes the official government irrelevant until it can supplant it fully.

The Turkish invasion of Afrin, and the Iraqis retaking Kirkuk after the independence referendum, are the primary examples of why the Kurds shouldn't play the state game. Not having guarantees from the United States against Turkish aggression and lacking Syrian state security to enforce the borders left Afrin completely open to Turkish aggression. Afrin was practically a de facto state, and that independence left them practically defenseless against an imperial power like Turkey.

That's why the best deal for the YPG is to maintain their independence of government while still delivering taxes to the Syrian state, and maintaining the territorial integrity of Syria. If they go fully independent, then their rear end is in the breeze. The United States has no long-term commitment to the Kurds because without ISIS they're just a liability.

so, tl;dr - Democratic Confederalism is an adaptive political strategy for a people who cannot have a state.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

why does everybody hate the kurds

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Because their communities have the gall not to respect the wisely laid out borders of the post-Ottoman Middle East, and thus they show a reckless disregard for national security and integrity.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Rastor posted:

why does everybody hate the kurds

Dozens of reasons. If they're not Godless communists, then it's because they want to be independent and take all those territories with them. The Turks hate the Kurds because they refuse to be Turks, the Iranians hate the Kurds because they're communists, the Iraqis hate the Kurds because if they leave then they're gonna take the oil, and the Syrians hate the Kurds for both the oil and being communists.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

ah, so it's like if venezuela was surrounded by jealous armed enemies

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Not all Kurds are left wing, and there’s factionalism across borders.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Sorry, I get annoyed when people keep asking me to provide quotes when I've got the primary source already posted because it feels like they don't want to read, and it feels like bad faith questions.

The reason the PKK/YPG "Ocalanists" are content to be part of Turkey or Syria is because having their own state is an existential threat in a region where absolutely nobody wants an independent Kurdistan. Democratic Confederalism is an adaptive strategy from the PKK and Ocalan's roots as a Marxist-Leninist party, where they figured that if it's impossible to be de jure independent then they may as well have practical independence through direct control of local government. They not only borrow from Bookchinite ideas of communal stateless rule, they also lift heavily from Mao's concept of the cadre forming a government in parallel which makes the official government irrelevant until it can supplant it fully.

The Turkish invasion of Afrin, and the Iraqis retaking Kirkuk after the independence referendum, are the primary examples of why the Kurds shouldn't play the state game. Not having guarantees from the United States against Turkish aggression and lacking Syrian state security to enforce the borders left Afrin completely open to Turkish aggression. Afrin was practically a de facto state, and that independence left them practically defenseless against an imperial power like Turkey.

That's why the best deal for the YPG is to maintain their independence of government while still delivering taxes to the Syrian state, and maintaining the territorial integrity of Syria. If they go fully independent, then their rear end is in the breeze. The United States has no long-term commitment to the Kurds because without ISIS they're just a liability.

so, tl;dr - Democratic Confederalism is an adaptive political strategy for a people who cannot have a state.

yeah the kurds are playing the long game of waiting for the major middle eastern states to collapse before making any real move which is smart

they also manage to tamp down the factionalism pretty well, but we'll see how that goes once IS is more or less "gone"

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

the turkish and syrian kurds are mostly communists (PKK and YPG) while Iraqi Kurdistan is split between two social democratic parties pretty much, but Barzani is almost a dictator at this point. The Iranian kurds are more successfully repressed, though I think the PKK has an offshoot operating underground there as well.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Not all Kurds are left wing, and there’s factionalism across borders.

this. is. the. simplified version. and deprecated at that!!

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/ShaunKing/status/984988657328123905

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Willie Tomg posted:

do you have a larger version?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

have they still not sorted Flint's water?

your country is a fraud

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

As it should be, they're fighting a decades long war against vastly superior enemies after all. But I thought this debate of ours was actually about the long-term goals of PYD and how those relate to American military aid, not how they could practically defeat both Assad and Erdogan in a head-on battle? Because I definately agree they couldn't, as we see in the case of Afrin, but as absolutely no one knows what's going to happen exactly with those troops and guns (or Trump), I wouldn't go as far as predict who they're going to have to fight to survive going forward. Or how that would define their long-term aims in establishing an multiethnic Democratic Confederation.

I never tried to argue that Rojava should declare independence immediately as a tactically smart move, just that I don't see PYD surviving all that long if they have to submit to Assad's authority. Being that he tried to exterminate them for decades before, with little less brutality than the Turkish regime.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
flint's pipes are being replaced right now

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

nopantsjack posted:

your country is a fraud

the pipes are being replaced, which won't be done till 2020

however, lead levels in the water have dropped somewhat, enough that the governor just stopped providing free bottled water and water filters

understandably, residents are not happy and don't trust the Snyder administration

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

the point stands regardless of where they are in the process of fixing the pipes. amerika allowed its infrastructure to fail and poison its own people to save a few bucks but always finds the money to symbolically fire off scores of million dollar missiles. Plenty of other bridges and piping that should be getting worked on out there too

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Main Paineframe posted:

the pipes are being replaced, which won't be done till 2020

however, lead levels in the water have dropped somewhat, enough that the governor just stopped providing free bottled water and water filters

understandably, residents are not happy and don't trust the Snyder administration

Can't understand it at all

https://twitter.com/LittleMissFlint/status/834622538684706816

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
A Flint water company rep was on the Democracy Nowpodcast like a week ago saying they got the pollution to 4 ppb down from something like 30.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Fast Luck posted:

the point stands regardless of where they are in the process of fixing the pipes. amerika allowed its infrastructure to fail and poison its own people to save a few bucks but always finds the money to symbolically fire off scores of million dollar missiles. Plenty of other bridges and piping that should be getting worked on out there too

how about Puerto loving Rico

something like a quarter to a third of residents still don't have power seven months after the hurricane hit, and there's been two multi-day island-wide blackouts in the last week

2018's hurricane season starts in a month and a half and they're not even done rebuilding from the last hurricane

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
you guys keep talking and trumps gonna send cruise missiles to flint and Puerto Rico.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

america is good and definitely needs to be the lead actor in an international system policing what goes on in the rest of the world

G.C. Furr III
Mar 30, 2016

debth to amberika, bictory to assab someding sombething inshallah

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

G.C. Furr III posted:

welcome professor furr, it is good to see you

THS
Sep 15, 2017

G.C. Furr III posted:

“donald trump and john bolton should escalate military conflicts across the world” -many wise posters in this thread

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
its me, the guy who found the objective good guys in a 1000 sided civil war fueled by every single nation remotely capable of projecting power into the levant. death to the other guys!

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

weve got one boys, an actual tankie freak that prefers assad over actual leftists

Hamprince, who thought every poster in the thread was this, is finally justified

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

hold on we need to freedom bomb more muslim countries first

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

nopantsjack posted:

your country is a fraud

Lol ask us about the post-hurricane rebuilding in Puerto Rico.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lol
https://twitter.com/Syricide/status/986796476499222529

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Whom amongst us wouldn't want a nice bath and some delicious dates?

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

geeeeejus

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Willie Tomg posted:

which group is the equivalent to CSPAM nite crew?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
the sootoro, duh

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

brown moses added the thread subtitle about himself, lol

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

R. Guyovich posted:

brown moses added the thread subtitle about himself, lol

that owns

Taintrunner