Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Re: Taking babies to Disney.

I would rather take a baby than a toddler to Disney. The first year we went as a family, our oldest was 5, the middle was 3, and the baby was 1. Baby was fine. No trouble at all. Slept in the stroller, wasn't scared of rides. She was great. 5 year old was great. She could walk on her own, loved everything, was generally awesome.

The 3 year old was a nightmare. At 3 years old, kids are still firmly in the "no" and "I do it myself" and learning that the world is scary phases. Cannot recommend enough NOT taking a 3 year old to Disney if you can help it. He never wanted to ride in the stroller, he just wanted to take off running. Rides were scary, he didn't want to eat what we gave him. It was bad. My sister's son is a really easy kid and we just took him back in Nov right before his third birthday and he was still a loving 3 year old at Disney. I hate taking 3 year olds to Disney, I cannot stress this enough.

My advice is to take the baby while they are still a baby, get lots of character photos, and generally just enjoy the atmosphere with a cute potato. Skip taking toddlers, and then wait until the kid is 4 or 5 for a more kid-centric trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Braksgirl posted:

I would rather take a baby than a toddler to Disney. The first year we went as a family, our oldest was 5, the middle was 3, and the baby was 1. Baby was fine. No trouble at all. Slept in the stroller, wasn't scared of rides. She was great. 5 year old was great. She could walk on her own, loved everything, was generally awesome.

The 3 year old was a nightmare. At 3 years old, kids are still firmly in the "no" and "I do it myself" and learning that the world is scary phases. Cannot recommend enough NOT taking a 3 year old to Disney if you can help it. He never wanted to ride in the stroller, he just wanted to take off running. Rides were scary, he didn't want to eat what we gave him. It was bad. My sister's son is a really easy kid and we just took him back in Nov right before his third birthday and he was still a loving 3 year old at Disney. I hate taking 3 year olds to Disney, I cannot stress this enough.

My advice is to take the baby while they are still a baby, get lots of character photos, and generally just enjoy the atmosphere with a cute potato. Skip taking toddlers, and then wait until the kid is 4 or 5 for a more kid-centric trip.

:agreed:

I draw a finer line though. Once the toddler is out of the "constantly running away from you" phase it's pretty much fine to take them -- whatever age that happens to be at. Potty training is a plus. A 5 year old will get way more out of their park experience than a toddler who has just stopped running away but there might be other reasons to want to go other than optimizing your kid's enjoyment.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong

Braksgirl posted:

I hadn't really considered this. We got similar advice about flying which was mostly true. She's flown 8 or so times in her first 10 months and for the most part it was her people watching and sleeping.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

My kid wasn't a runner, but yeah, every parent knows their kids best, use you're judgement. We've been 3 times to WDW and twice to DLR so far. Youngest had just turned 3 and had a good time but was obviously limited in what he could do, and super shy around the princesses and characters. 4 was a much better age, and he was 5 our first trip to DLR and he was a tank on that trip. No naps needed, and no strollers. Did WDW last October before he turned 7 and was the best trip yet. Got to ride all the good rides.

If you're only going to go once, definitely do it after the age of 5. If you're going to go often, not as big a deal I guess.

We became Disney Addicts somehow. Our next trip at the end of Feb will be our 4th trip to WDW in 4 years.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

chitoryu12 posted:

Hitting up Epcot. Security is trying to figure out procedures for someone who brought a gold hip flask with “KING” written on it.

Last time I was there a supervisor was mad that security let through someone who had a shirt on that said “I have no tits.”

My parents took me to MGM when I was 3. I remember absolutely nothing and nearly got run over by a parade float containing Nichelle Nichols?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Luigi Thirty posted:

nearly got run over by a parade float containing Nichelle Nichols?

Good choice!

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Beachcomber posted:

Good choice!

No kidding, Shatner wouldn’t have missed

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I went when I was young but barely remember it. But there's a picture of me with Dreamfinder so 100% worth it thanks mom and dad.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
We went to Disney World two years in a row when I was in 5th or 6th grade and I barely remembered any of that. Really didn't remember much till we were there again a couple years ago and I had a few "Oh yeah" moments.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

My mom went while pregnant. I went when I was very, very little--like, not really able to toddle around so good little. We went every weekend, basically, until we moved away from Florida. I have the smallest tiniest memories of being held and watching magic kingdom fireworks and my parents have a million pictures. I went on Horizons. I went on the original Imagination. It's really cool to see old Polaroids of that.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/Dom_YM/status/1087881035357061120?s=19

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

My mom went while pregnant. I went when I was very, very little--like, not really able to toddle around so good little. We went every weekend, basically, until we moved away from Florida. I have the smallest tiniest memories of being held and watching magic kingdom fireworks and my parents have a million pictures. I went on Horizons. I went on the original Imagination. It's really cool to see old Polaroids of that.

My parents have old home video recording of a trip of ours from when I was like 8 or 9. It is pretty fantastic.

This tweet is everything

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Thaddius the Large posted:

No kidding, Shatner wouldn’t have missed

Apparently it was back when they used to get movie stars to be grand marshal for the big parade that starts near Star Tours - Star Trek 6 had come out a couple years earlier. My mom looked up for a minute and I took off under the rope. I ran into the parade path and got yanked away by a CM. :v:

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

There's an old photo of me with Dreamfinder and Figment somewhere. I was 5 so it was right after EPCOT Center opened.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
Update. Definitely bringing our 23 month old. Wifes mom bailed on us after months of planning. Plan is to bring her rather deluxe stroller with and hopefully she'll nap in it. We will be 6 adults and her, my parents will be happy to wait in line with us and swap if the little one makes it through the line. Well have two rental cars so I might still end up going home for a couple hours. Hoping to swap at night so maybe my parents can take her every other evening or something. We have tickets for one day at each park (not hoppers sadly) one break day where my parents are going to the beach in the middle, and one day to try and hit both harry potter parks. Wish me luck my dudes.

Really appreciate the spots for her to run around. I havent been to disney for 11 years (I was 21 at the time and it was more fun than my trips as a kid), so I hope I dont miss out of too much, but we'll see. We wanted to wait a bit but my dads got cancer so we dont know if hell make it 3 more years for her to be older. Any other tips are appreciated.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Yes, the stroller is an excellent way to transport smaller sized animatronics, procured through ill-gotten means.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Those little push wagons are way harder to work with than they look like. Definitely don't do it. Strollers are way the way to go.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
If you need a double stroller get a jogging stroller. The three wheel design makes tight turns much easier. It’s the way to go.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Those little push wagons are way harder to work with than they look like. Definitely don't do it. Strollers are way the way to go.

God I hate these things. Wagons aren't allowed in the parks, but people get away with them because you can push them, but they're still a drat wagon. They're unwieldy. And they cost like $500. They're insane.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Hi guys! Been a while since I've posted here, but my wife and I took our first weekend trip on our own since our daughter was born in August.

We stayed at AK, but decided to get theme park tickets to Universal and IoA to switch it up.

We had our first Savannah view, which is awesome as hell.

But at Universal, has anyone else ridden Fast and Furious: Supercharged? I sincerely thought Shrek 4D was the worst theme park attraction in central Florida. But I was wrong. Fast and Furious isn't even a ride. We literally walked up, straight into a ride vehicle and I thought that was more time than it was worth. The story makes 0 sense, the graphics are all weirdly distorted and l.. it has no redeeming value.

But the new Harry Potter Diagon Alley is pretty good. Although the old Hogwarts ride at IoA is still incredibly superior to Gringotts.

To unwind, we went to Trader Sam's Grog Grotto at Poly for a few hours and godamn I love that place.

Debating using a park ticket for Disney AK tomorrow for Pandora.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Pandora is fantastic and flight of passage is pretty amazing. Good job on trader Sam's. I'm dreaming of a Mai Tai right now.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Silly Burrito and I both decided that the Fast & Furious ride is probably the worst ride we've ridden at a theme park. It's so awful. In my opinion, Kong is only slightly better.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

But FAMILY

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I wonder If Universal is sincerely considering transforming the ride into a walkthrough exhibition of Fast and Furious cars and props. There is no way it could get a worse reception than this.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
God I want to ride this stupid awful ride. You guys have hyped it so much I can’t wait to see the poo poo show myself.

Speaking of, now that Stitch is gone what’s the worst ride at Disney?

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Worst attraction? Easily the cheeto still in the Hall of Presidents.

Actual answer in terms of intended experience? Probably Figment.

The other runner up probably was the sound show at HS, but that's shuttered too. I haven't been to the Orlando Star Wars Launch Bay, but if it's anything like Anaheim's then it's pretty dire. And again, it's been a while that I've been at Epcot but I can't imagine innoventions as thriving at the moment. As well, Path of the Jedi and the Pixar Film Fest seem completely unnecessary.

At this point, it's hard to say any of the attractions don't have an audience or purpose. Some people probably decry Disney Junior as a low point of their visit, or that the boneyard as a waste of time, but I doubt it's the same for the toddlers that they're made for. And I know Phillarmagic and Tomorrowland Speedway probably don't have much in the way of fans, but I can't imagine a situation where no one is enjoying either of those (however, you might have to look real hard to find a fan of the Speedway)

Depending on who asks, you'll probably find people who would say the entirety of Dinoland U.S.A. (And those people are heretics)

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Bottom Liner posted:

God I want to ride this stupid awful ride. You guys have hyped it so much I can’t wait to see the poo poo show myself.

How many knives would be thrown at me if I said the Carousel of Progress? I mean, it's a great way to get out of the sun for 20 minutes, but......

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

Astro Orbiter

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Braksgirl posted:

Silly Burrito and I both decided that the Fast & Furious ride is probably the worst ride we've ridden at a theme park. It's so awful. In my opinion, Kong is only slightly better.

We missed out on Kong. The line was way too long and the park closed at 7 for some reason. As great of a time as we had overall, we were so confounded by what we were supposed to get out of FF:S, that's what we talked about most.

SomeJazzyRat posted:

I wonder If Universal is sincerely considering transforming the ride into a walkthrough exhibition of Fast and Furious cars and props. There is no way it could get a worse reception than this.

I hope so. But only if they use actual cars. I could tell most of the ones in the walkthrough pre-ride were just fiberglass shells.

The most confusing aspect of the whole thing, visually (the "story" is another discussion), was when you're inexplicably escaping from Shaw for, reasons, I guess, there is a moment where an obviously CGI Rock (Hobbs) is on the back of a humvee with a giant mounted gun. But the Rock is SO big that he wouldn't be able to fit inside the humvee. Then a helicopter flies out, and Vin Diesel, who has no car for some reason, is just hanging from the bottom of it. Except CGI Vin is bigger than the helicopter. And then they all yell "we're not gonna make this jump!" And everything ends abruptly. You're just "at the party" except there is no theming whatsoever in the unloading spot.

Yes, there is a party you're supposed to be evacuating to get to.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Bottom Liner posted:

In terms of worst, which to me is the least amount of redeeming factors - overall enjoyment, age appropriateness, load times and break from the sun. Uh... I dont think there really is an irredeemably useless attraction at Disney that they havent shut down already.

Objectively, I'd say Innoventions is at the bottom. It has no purpose anymore.

Though personally, Primeevil Whirl is my least liked. I know it's a kids coaster, but it has too much of a county fair ride vibe to me.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Worse Disney ride is easily Frozen or three amigos imho

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Silly Burrito posted:

How many knives would be thrown at me if I said the Carousel of Progress? I mean, it's a great way to get out of the sun for 20 minutes, but......

I want a divorce.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."

kri kri posted:

Astro Orbiter

This is the correct answer

I almost died riding it with a friend - 2 medium sized adults can’t fit in those jets, and the angle you soar at was so intense on us (since we weren’t 5). Never again. Plus the wait to ride up the elevator is lame.

Figment just was six minutes of utter confusion for me. I still don’t understand what I saw there, but I regret FastPassing it for my parents during my first trip, so I could also do Mission Space Orange (also a regret).

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Braksgirl posted:

I want a divorce.

Yeah I figured that would be your reaction.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Bottom Liner posted:

Tomorrowland Speedway hands down.

SomeJazzyRat posted:

And I know Phillarmagic and Tomorrowland Speedway probably don't have much in the way of fans...

Them's fightin words

Silly Burrito posted:

I'm with your wife on this one, that song is endearing as gently caress and the dog doesn't die.

kri kri posted:

Astro Orbiter

This is a great runner up to Tomorrowland Speedway, at least Orbiter is literally out of sight out of mind, Speedway just generates all sort of noise and air pollution, it's terrible.

Empress Brosephine posted:

Worse Disney ride is easily Frozen or three amigos imho

The hosts in Frozen are pretty great imo, and the fake snowfall during the show is always fun. And three amigos is a great break from Epcot rush with some fun catchy music

stabbity
Sep 28, 2004

Controversial answer: Peter Pan.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Braksgirl posted:

I want a divorce.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I also request a divorce from Silly Burrito, thank you.

Hall of Presidents is fine. You can dislike Trump and still really enjoy the impressive exhibit it is. I still feel like that is what we should have over at American Adventure instead of the warmongering shitshow that's over at AA now.

Hell, Trump's speech isn't even offensive. Just his face.

Astro Orbiter is up there for me, but I think I have to vote Barnstormer. It's so pointless that people forget it exists.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I hope you all signed a prenup.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Astro Orbiter is up there for me, but I think I have to vote Barnstormer. It's so pointless that people forget it exists.

Now this is incredibly wrong. It's not Space Mountain, but it's a great way to get kids over their fears of roller coasters. It has a decent sense of speed, but it's over quickly so that you don't have time to be terrified after that first drop.

stabbity posted:

Controversial answer: Peter Pan.

This one I could understand too. It always seems to have a long line and breaks down a ton. It's a decent ride, but maybe if they could renovate the mechanics to be more reliable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Silly Burrito posted:

Now, this is incredibly wrong. It's not Space Mountain, but it's a great way to get kids over their fears of roller coasters. It has a decent sense of speed, but it's over quickly so that you don't have time to be terrified after that first drop.

7DMT and Big Thunder do it so much better. Same with SDD. When's the last time you went on Barnstormer?

Because that's mostly the basis of my point. It's not a people eater. It's less than a minute long. It's themeing is weak. It doesn't really prep kids for anything more than the little single curve dragon-cart (they're always a dragon or a lizard) carnival "roller coaster" does. It's so forgettable that people forget to dislike it.

It does nothing because it is nothing. And that's my defense :colbert:

With regards to Peter Pan: It's definitely been upgraded somewhere throughout the years. It's a solid little ride but hooo the racism with the Indian tribe is out of this world.

Alternative: PoC now because of the new redhead scene which I keep hoping will catch on fire so they can fix it :smith: