Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
So a year after people start making cinemagraphs, I discover them. I'd love to have some of these in rotation for desktop wallpapers but Windows 7 doesn't have active desktop and doesn't display gifs. I've been looking at some media players to do it. VLC has a desktop mode but for some reason doesn't want to display the gifs and desktop mode disables Aero, which sucks.

Any other recommended software?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
It's funny, because Vista had that feature, videos as wallpaper, in Ultimate. I guess they thought it was useless, bloated garbage and never shipped it for 7.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
It's possible to get that on 7, but it only supports mpg and wmv files. I guess I could convert gifs to that, but I don't want it bad enough to bother. Stardock has a program called Deskscapes that is suppose to do something similar, but they don't even do gifs. All well.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

HalloKitty posted:

I'm doing research on AV right now, and it's true that it seems Forefront and Security Essentials don't score in the upper echelon of AV suites.

I still think it's a solid choice for a home user though.

However, I can see how you rubbed them up the wrong way by saying a competitor is just as good. Wasn't very polite.

If you developed software, and someone emailed you, saying "goodbye, this other guy is just as good", you'd be annoyed too.

I use av-comparatives.org to see which AV is best. This table is quite telling.

It's almost as good as most paid AV suites, but not perfect. Like you said, perfect for home users who aren't willing/don't want to pay for an AV program.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Kaspersky is so dominating. I guess the origin of a lot of the Earth's malware, Russia, would also have some of the best defense, huh?

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

NihilCredo posted:

Incidentally, who replies to automated expiration reminders? :raise:

That's the thing that shocks me the most

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

CHARLES posted:

That's the thing that shocks me the most

Yeah, it was the third one I got asking/begging me to renew. Should have spammed it but I guess work has me brainwashed with "REPLY TO EMAIL" syndrome. :eng99:

MAJOR STRYkER
Jan 2, 2008

FIFTY THOUSAND PEOPLE USED TO LIVE HERE...

Dodoman posted:

I use av-comparatives.org to see which AV is best. This table is quite telling.

It's almost as good as most paid AV suites, but not perfect. Like you said, perfect for home users who aren't willing/don't want to pay for an AV program.

Been using Kaspersky for years :smug:

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
Is Kaspersky as light weight as NOD32? Back before MSE and I was a cheap rear end, I would run NOD32 trials and reinstall after they expired, but I never gave Kaspersky a chance. Now I'm curious after seeing that chart.

clayburn
Mar 6, 2007

Cammy Cam Juice
After moving some file around today I ended up with a drive in this situation:

Is there any reason or me to try to fix this? The D: drive reports the proper size, so it looks like it is treating this all as one drive. This just isn't what I expected to see.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

clayburn posted:

After moving some file around today I ended up with a drive in this situation:

Is there any reason or me to try to fix this? The D: drive reports the proper size, so it looks like it is treating this all as one drive. This just isn't what I expected to see.
If you have a decent backup, I'd try to get that fixed, yeah. I mean, I have no idea why or how, but god knows what kind of odd problems you run into later.

Aeoli Partition Manager has served me well recently for merging partitions without data loss, if you can see past a bit of Engrish. Can't guarantee how it would deal with this situation, though.

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

I don't think you've been paying attention
What is a good dedicated podcast software? Foobar is great for music but the podcast plugin isn't great. And I can't stand iTunes.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

fookolt posted:

What is a good dedicated podcast software? Foobar is great for music but the podcast plugin isn't great. And I can't stand iTunes.

It's not really dedicated to podcasts only, but the Zune software works very well for podcasts.

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

Install Gentoo posted:

It's not really dedicated to podcasts only, but the Zune software works very well for podcasts.

I tried running it but all I got was a black screen :sigh:

Time to try something else!

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

fookolt posted:

I used to use a program called Juice, it worked pretty well I guess. There hasn't been a new version in about six years now, but the most recent one is still available.

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

stubblyhead posted:

I used to use a program called Juice, it worked pretty well I guess. There hasn't been a new version in about six years now, but the most recent one is still available.

Thanks for the suggestion; I'm using Miro and it's pretty good!

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
What's a good alternative for windows search?

I'm using windows 7 and want something that'll only index when I tell it to.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

WastedJoker posted:

Everything

Locate32

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

WastedJoker posted:

Just let it run.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

AlexDeGruven posted:

Just let it run.

It often literally never gets the results; I find the indexing unreliable.

Just to toss the one I use into the ring: http://www.mythicsoft.com/page.aspx?type=agentransack&page=home

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
If you must absolutely micromanage indexing, just use "net stop wsearch" and "net start wsearch".

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

What's a recommended freeware sound editing utility? I've liked Goldwave in the past, but is there anything better now?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Fuschia tude posted:

What's a recommended freeware sound editing utility? I've liked Goldwave in the past, but is there anything better now?

Audacity?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I used to know a command that would help you troubleshoot why a computer or display wasn't going to sleep automatically even though it was set to in power settings, but I can't remember what it was now.

Anyone have an idea?

Intrepid00
Nov 10, 2003

I'm tired of the PM’s asking if I actually poisoned kittens, instead look at these boobies.
Anyone got a suggested macro program that will work on windows 7?

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Thermopyle posted:

I used to know a command that would help you troubleshoot why a computer or display wasn't going to sleep automatically even though it was set to in power settings, but I can't remember what it was now.

Anyone have an idea?

I haven't tried it but I saw Sleeper posted. However, the command is
code:
powercfg -energy
which I grabbed from this guide

Intrepid00 posted:

Anyone got a suggested macro program that will work on windows 7?
Is AutoHotKey what you are looking for?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

I personally always use AutoIt, and it comes with a program that generates code from actions, just like you'd expect macro recording to work; but AutoIt capabilities extend far beyond that. AutoHotKey is effectively an old fork of AutoIt anyway, so I guess it's all good.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

HalloKitty posted:

I personally always use AutoIt, and it comes with a program that generates code from actions, just like you'd expect macro recording to work; but AutoIt capabilities extend far beyond that. AutoHotKey is effectively an old fork of AutoIt anyway, so I guess it's all good.
AutoHotkey, as far as I understand it, attempts to keep code human readable by mostly leaving out brackets, semicolons and quotation marks. In my opinion this creates a lot more ambiguity as to what are reserved words, what belongs together, what's internally treated as a string and so on. This is why I prefer AutoIt.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Something small that's been bothering me for a while. When I want to open a folder from the Explorer sidebar in a new window, I right click on it, and the option to "Open in a new window" is buried six items down under useless poo poo I never ever use like "Restore previous versions", "Include in library", "Add to Windows Media Player list", "Play with Windows Media Player". Is there any way to:

• Get rid of all that bullshit?
  • Move "Open in new window" to the top of the list?
  • Perform some secret incantation that I haven't figured out like alt-ctrl-double-middle-click that opens the folder in a new window without having to invoke a loving context menu? (This would be ideal)

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

My company uses Outlook 365 for all of their email, and I've been trying to find out is there a way to set up a sort of "common" group of contacts?

What I mean is I'd like to set up a group of users for HR, Accounting, Sales, etc. and I'd like to be able to "publish" this group so that everyone in the company can utilize it, rather than having to make their own group. That way it can be maintained from one central place.

I can't seem to find any sort of global options to let me do such a thing.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
We have a whole mess of Dell PowerEdge and PowerVault servers. Right now, most are running Windows.

Is there some program that will read the temps from these systems so we can easily view them on a webpage? (without logging into the Dell OpenManage program on each individual system)

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Xenomorph posted:

We have a whole mess of Dell PowerEdge and PowerVault servers. Right now, most are running Windows.

Is there some program that will read the temps from these systems so we can easily view them on a webpage? (without logging into the Dell OpenManage program on each individual system)
dell it assistant or whatever it's called now (dell management console maybe?)

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!
It's now called Dell OpenManage Essentials as of Feb 27th, 2012.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

IT Guy posted:

It's now called Dell OpenManage Essentials as of Feb 27th, 2012.

I guess I'm not too familiar with all the features of the program, right now when we use it, it's like this:

- Open remote connection to Server1, load web browser, log into OpenManager, navigate to temperature, read C and convert to F.
- Open remote connection to Server2, load web browser, log into OpenManager, navigate to temperature, read C and convert to F.
- Open remote connection to Server3, load web browser, log into OpenManager, navigate to temperature, read C and convert to F.
- Open remote connection to Server4, load web browser, log into OpenManager, navigate to temperature, read C and convert to F.
etc ...

It's quicker for me to get up and walk through two buildings to get to our data center and just stand there with a thermometer in my hand.

I was hoping to have the process more like this:
- Open web browser, log into monitoring page, view temperature of Server1, Server2, Server3, Server4, Server5, Server6, etc. DONE.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Can't you configure alerts to email you if a temp get's higher than such and such? That's how it works with HP servers.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Having never used OpenManage Essentials (yet), I can't say for sure that you can check the temps on every server. However, OME is supposed to be the central administration tools Dell provides. I do know for sure that it can alert you if monitored servers go over certain temps.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
How to stop xp from autoconnecting to a corp wifi network?

I have an old retired xp laptop at work that I'm using for some testing on a new wifi network. It's a wpa2 network for now. The laptop has something built in to the image making it connect to our regular prod leap or peap corp wifi all the time, I've deleted network from 'order of preferred networks', also thought I deleted its certs and I reinstalled the wifi adapter but it just keeps coming back and auto-connecting to our prod one.

Problem's not worth me installing xp by hand from a cd, I can change networks easy enough that I don't want to put 2 hours into doing that, but it is bothersome enough that I'll do a bit more than I have already if anyone has any ideas.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
If you just bought Windows 7 what programs would you install on it? My friend moving from a MAC to Win 7 has no idea what's available and the OP is hideously outdated.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

bowmore posted:

If you just bought Windows 7 what programs would you install on it? My friend moving from a MAC to Win 7 has no idea what's available and the OP is hideously outdated.

Maintenance and security:
- CCleaner
- Spybot Search and Destroy
- Microsoft Security Center (an absolute must)
- Maybe MalwareBytes if they want to go that extra mile to protect from harmful software.

Tools:
- 7zip (the native Windows archive manager is pretty poo poo)
- Irfanview

Uh, not sure what else comes to mind that is a must-get. I find they really improved the packaged software with Windows 7 over Vista.

If your friend is using a 64-bit system and likes Firefox, they might be interested in the optimized 64-bit Windows-specific fork: Waterfox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

bowmore posted:

What are you looking for? I can tell you most of the goon recommended utilities.

Actually, Ninite has most of them. http://ninite.com/

Burning Images (not pictures): Imgburn
Burning Music: Infra Recorder
Browser: Chrome or Firefox
Playing Music: CCCP Codecs + Media Player Classic Home Cinema
Anti-Virus: Microsoft Security Essentials
PDF: Adobe Reader or Foxit
Unziping: 7Zip
Picture Library: Picasa (so awesome)

Let me know what you're looking for.