Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Waltzing Along posted:

There are blatant large problems with BotW, but towers are not one of them. Not even close. They are one of the good things about the game.

Let's argue about how stupid the durability system is or why cooking is ... whatever it is. Both could easily be changed to improve the game.

durability was fun like idg why people have so much of a problem with it. cooking does get a bit repetitive once you know what ingredients work the best tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Generic Monk posted:

durability was fun like idg why people have so much of a problem with it. cooking does get a bit repetitive once you know what ingredients work the best tho

Durability is not a good game mechanic. Most people don't find it fun at all. It gets in the way of actually playing the game. It's just needless busywork in a single player game.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

"Most people" lol

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Anybody who starts arguing about BOTW durability now is a cop

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Andrast posted:

I think BOTW has a ton of problems that could be changed or improved on in a sequel but that certainly didn't stop it from being one of my favorite games of all time

It's one of a very very small number of sandboxy games to break through my own fear of freedom so I have to laud it by law :v:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Durability is the grinding of action games

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

bushisms.txt posted:

"Most people" lol

He's right

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

BOTW's durability is a mixed bag for me but people always compare it to typical weapon durability in games like The Witcher but much like BOTW's towers aren't functionally the same as Ubisoft towers, BOTW's weapon durability isn't the same as the weapon durability in other games and it shouldn't be thought of as such. thanks for reading

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

romanowski posted:

BOTW's durability is a mixed bag for me but people always compare it to typical weapon durability in games like The Witcher but much like BOTW's towers aren't functionally the same as Ubisoft towers, BOTW's weapon durability isn't the same as the weapon durability in other games and it shouldn't be thought of as such. thanks for reading

Yeah other games do it better, not good but better

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The durability of the durability debate has broken. You can no longer debate about durability, you'll have to use one of your other topics of debate in your inventory.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Mega64 posted:

The durability of the durability debate has broken. You can no longer debate about durability, you'll have to use one of your other topics of debate in your inventory.

I have six durability debates in my bag so I’m good, just need a second to equip them.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Gripweed posted:

I unlocked high level quests in Monster Hunter. Kicking you out in a random part of the map and not giving you supplies until like 10 minutes in to the quest isn't an extra challenge, it's just annoying.

High Rank is when the game takes off the training wheels and expects you to bring your own supplies for the quest. Which you should, as you often can bring more and better stuff than the box ever provides.

As for mounting; you need to hold R (or ZR if you swapped them) to hold on when the monster is thrashing around. When it tires and the meter is green, you mash X or A to fill it up. If you succeed, the monster will topple over and you get a bunch of free hits.

I recommend reading the Hunter Notes in the menu. There's a LOT of useful info in there.

Ziddar fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Dec 26, 2018

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

botw weapon durability is cool because finding new weapons doesn't quickly devolve into 'this new sword is either better than my current sword or it's completely worthless'

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I loved every single aspect of Breath of the Wild from start to finish, top to bottom. It was, apparently, made for me. I played it every free waking moment with a huge loving grin on my face from the day I got it till the day I beat it. Obviously it's not perfect for everybody, but it was perfect for me. My $.02.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Imagined posted:

I loved every single aspect of Breath of the Wild from start to finish, top to bottom. It was, apparently, made for me. I played it every free waking moment with a huge loving grin on my face from the day I got it till the day I beat it. Obviously it's not perfect for everybody, but it was perfect for me. My $.02.

Agreed

It mixed my Zelda nostalgia with modern game mechanics.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Look Sir Droids posted:

Somebody doesn't appreciate Fashion Souls.

Bad games aren't entitled to appreciation.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
Anyone ever try 'Yonder: The Cloud Catcher'? I've been interested in giving it a shot for a while.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
How come there hasn't been a GBA/NDS Castlevania rerelease/remake by Konami? Or the Metroids from GBA?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

E2M2 posted:

How come there hasn't been a GBA/NDS Castlevania rerelease/remake by Konami? Or the Metroids from GBA?

Nintendo has released the GBA Metroids on Wii U Virtual Console. I think Konami released some compilations back in the DS days but nothing recently.

content
Feb 13, 2014

E2M2 posted:

Konami doesn't give a poo poo about games.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Over There posted:

He's right
Can you even prove this isn't just in the miniscule vocal gaming community? As in, real world evidence says you're wrong. When literal children are getting along fine playing the game, you really need to rethink your rally cry.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

bushisms.txt posted:

Can you even prove this isn't just in the miniscule vocal gaming community? As in, real world evidence says you're wrong. When literal children are getting along fine playing the game, you really need to rethink your rally cry.

I uh don’t think anyone has ever argued it made the game unplayable , chill a bit

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
I got Diablo 3 for Christmas. I believe I read in this thread that there's a season component to it which would require both me and my partner to have Online for our accounts to do co-op online? Unlike, say, Mario Kart, where only my account needs the online subscription.

Mainly my question is: is there enough there for us to enjoy then if we don't both have online?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Sudden Javelin posted:

I got Diablo 3 for Christmas. I believe I read in this thread that there's a season component to it which would require both me and my partner to have Online for our accounts to do co-op online? Unlike, say, Mario Kart, where only my account needs the online subscription.

Mainly my question is: is there enough there for us to enjoy then if we don't both have online?

Everything except seasons is accessible offline, Seasons are just the same game but everyone starts at level 1 and compete for clear time on end game content. There’s some small cosmetic bonuses and stash expansions for certain challenges but they’re hardly necessary.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

BoTW durability was pretty cool but the game could've used some unarmed attacks or grabs. It feels kinda weird that they had this cool system for throwing and breaking weapons but if you attack without one equipped link just goes :shrug: Obviously it'd need to be weak or it'd defeat the point of durability. Plus they could've eliminated one of the lame spirit beast powers and given us a big Dark Messiah style kick to punt things off cliffs (on a cooldown or why use anything else).

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Over There posted:

Oh yeah I forgot the towers gated missions.

In what Ubisoft game did the towers gate missions? It showed you where they were if you revealed the part of the map with them in it but I can’t think of a time I couldn’t play a mission because I needed to do a tower.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

I uh don’t think anyone has ever argued it made the game unplayable , chill a bit

That's one thing that's easily googglable to be true.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

bushisms.txt posted:

That's one thing that's easily googglable to be true.

I mean yeah it makes it really unfun which technically makes it unplayable but I don’t think they meant it the way your going.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

A main component of the game, something encountered to beat the game, being "broken," is definitely when playability comes in to play.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVseQ3RDa6s

I think he makes the argument very well. If you can past his shtick, he brings up some really good points.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

eonwe posted:

the only gripe I actually have with botw is climbing while raining and how there isn't equipment that removes that mechanic entirely

Revali's Gale, even when not upgraded, removes like 80% of climbing.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Waltzing Along posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVseQ3RDa6s

I think he makes the argument very well. If you can past his shtick, he brings up some really good points.

Haha, I knew exactly whose video that would be. I really, really dislike his gimmicks and theming, but I rarely disagree with his opinions :D

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

eonwe posted:

the only gripe I actually have with botw is climbing while raining and how there isn't equipment that removes that mechanic entirely

Just sit by a camp fire and move the day forward.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Jim literally couldn't be arsed to figure out the map system in botw. And like others, he thinks his way (hoarding) is the only way. The game asks you to do something different and the game facilitates your success through the mechanic, the more you kill the stronger the weapon variants become. Folks try to hide behind the "options are good" line, but not really, especially if you're trying stick to a design. The only limitation to weapon degradation is not keeping a weapon, but using a weapon on an enemy gives you a weapon, and soon you're drowning in them. I do agree they need an unarmed option. Having to switch directly to another weapon is harder than it could be and at least an unarmed option would give you breathing room.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I get there are ways around the climbing thing, I just wish you could throw on some climbing gear or something that makes you immune to slipping is all

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

I could see them putting in more climbing equipment, I'd like to throw rope lines for mining on a cliff side. But playing rear end creed odyssey made me realize how much i loved stamina climbing. Put some thrill in the simple, taken for granted, action.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

my main issue with weapon durability in BOTW is that it makes finding new weapons less exciting because they are ultimately just consumables. I think finding a new (permanent) weapon while exploring feels more rewarding, even if you don't necessarily end up using that particular weapon. I suppose it's the difference between discovering something unique in a specific spot in the world vs a consumable that you could find in multiple places (which is also why I think they should go with a smaller overworld in the next game)

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

romanowski posted:

my main issue with weapon durability in BOTW is that it makes finding new weapons less exciting because they are ultimately just consumables.

This is the biggest problem. You get six unique treasures and they're all front loaded as a tutorial.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Mister Facetious posted:

This is the biggest problem. You get six unique treasures and they're all front loaded as a tutorial.

well this is ignoring the master sword and the armor (most of which you find in towns or shrines, though, unless you bought the dlc) but otherwise I agree. I love the shrines as an impetus for exploration but they needed more unique treasures that you could find in between. also using a shrine as a reward for sidequests or overworld puzzles (like the spring of power) was always disappointing because those shrines didn't even have their own puzzles in them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Oh my loving gently caress can you all not, again, for the what time is this now?? It's about to be 2 years since the game came out. Can a few of you move on?

Meanwhile I'm simply happy I'm not dragging two systems home for the winter visit, all hail our new hybrid lives.