Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

brian posted:

i don't think it did that, I thought it towed the line between dutifully in depth for the competitive crowd while making the whole thing accessible enough for joe public, I got the impression they were always talking relatively to previous games, given the context of pitting it vs moment 37 over and over.

on a rewatch i think i see that better. i don't necessarily buy the idea that balancing for spectacle/accessibility is mutually exclusive with competitive play (see: KI, overdone particles aside). sfv definitely has failed at it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Dj Meow Mix posted:

i don't necessarily buy the idea that balancing for spectacle/accessibility is mutually exclusive with competitive play

Marvel vs Capcom manages to do it. New players can use simple mode and do lots of flashy moves and have a good time. They can even beat lovely players who use normal mode with superior timing and no input whiffs. However, the simple mode does not let you use your characters full potential, to get really good you have to master normal mode. That means there is a flat skill curve at the the bottom (where it belongs) and a steep curve as you approach mastery.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rutibex posted:

If Street Fighter 5 is simple mode crap for pubbies than why does anyone play it competitively? Street Fighter 4 still exists, as does many other fighting games.

Hi, you must be new to esports.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
No game that has ever marketed itself on being an esport with its own publisher backed tournament series has been good

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Pomp posted:

No game that has ever marketed itself on being an esport with its own publisher backed tournament series has been good

Quake 3 Arena, though obviously long after it actually came out.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Pomp posted:

kof14

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Quake 3 Arena, though obviously long after it actually came out.

Marketed himself as an esport. Q3A became one.

kof14 is dead

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
he didn't say "alive", he said "good"

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I don't think publisher backed tourneys are inherently bad, but more that that there's about 10x more of them than there really need to be and idiots try to run them on day 1 instead of letting a scene grow organically.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
Day/week 1 tourneys are a cool way to see what people have figured out in a short time frame, and then in the following weeks you can see how people work around it. Publisher sponsored tourneys are fine and "Publisher tourney = bad game" is a dumb platitude based on an n of 1 where the 1 is Capcom.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

darealkooky posted:

he didn't say "alive", he said "good"

can't be esports if you're dead

Brosnan posted:

Day/week 1 tourneys are a cool way to see what people have figured out in a short time frame, and then in the following weeks you can see how people work around it. Publisher sponsored tourneys are fine and "Publisher tourney = bad game" is a dumb platitude based on an n of 1 where the 1 is Capcom.

I agree. It gets people going, you get to see some interesting picks because people are figuring poo poo out, there's a shot at a blowup...

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Brosnan posted:

blizzard, mobas and for a very long time CS:GO are bad too :colbert:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Overwatch - Whack

League of Legends - Whack

Dota - Whack

Starcraft 2 - Whack

Hearthstone - Whack

NRS games - Whack

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
It's already established you hate games that came out this millennium or that more than five people play, yes.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Bloodline Champions was marketed as a game for competitive players, insofar as it was marketed at all, and was awesome.

it's also dead as doornails but what you gonna do

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I guess. My main thing that I think is dumb is companies from day 1 being like "yeah esports competitions!" when it's pretty obvious that their game is a poo poo competitive game. Obviously it's a totally different market that fighting games, but 2K sports has been trying to esports up their latest NBA games and NBA teams have agreed to sponsor virtual teams and make a league it's just like.....why? Who does this appeal to? Would there be anyone in the world trying to play these competitively if you weren't throwing money at it? Probably not. Why in the world would I want to watch virtual NBA teams? Maybe there's a market for it but the whole thing to me screams "old business guys in a room hearing about esports money and trying get at that for their own league while having no understanding of why people are interested in competitive games and what makes them watchable". And maybe that's in the minority, but I anecdotally feel like I'm seeing more and more ads for arbitrary games I've never heard about pushing esports style play/tournaments or whatever and it just feels like the cart's being put in front of the horse a lot of times IMO.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 20:05 on May 28, 2017

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Pomp posted:

Overwatch - Whack

League of Legends - Whack

Dota - Whack

Starcraft 2 - Whack

Hearthstone - Whack

NRS games - Whack

"Me? I'm tight as gently caress!" - guilty gear

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj_E5UImoyo&hd=1

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Dias posted:

It's already established you hate games that came out this millennium or that more than five people play, yes.

I don't get it.

I mean, applying this to like Old Man Zand or me or any number of other people might make sense.

But Pomp?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I don't get it.

I mean, applying this to like Old Man Zand or me or any number of other people might make sense.

But Pomp?

You all look the same to me. Also I'm just being a jerk.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

I watched this whole fuckin video

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I don't get it.

But Pomp?
not every new game is bad either, but even the good ones arent as good as old games (that they are based on) by and large

i'll never not be amazed with people that aren't motivated by the money/esports aspect of the game being okay with sacrificing competitive integrity with accessibility. "this game series is so great and i love it. it would be better if the series was made worse so that I'd have more people to play a bad game with." the amount of people saying this, almost verbatim, with the release of sfv was staggering. not even just the sfv thread here, filled with people that played for 2 weeks, but discussions all over filled with people that played for 2 weeks. how many people still say poo poo like "gg looks cool but i'd rather play sfv and have someone to play against?"

i'll post another sirlin classic image to top off this post. the accessibility of your game should be built around good game mechanics, not the other way around. balancing on this edge is not easy and barely anyone gets it right ever

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zand fucked around with this message at 22:05 on May 28, 2017

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Zand posted:

i'll post another sirlin classic image to top off this post. the accessibility of your game should be built around good game mechanics, not the other way around. balancing on this edge is not easy and barely anyone gets it right ever

I wonder where he stole that idea.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

Rutibex posted:

I wonder where he stole that idea.

I'm sure he "read" it somewhere, or as the Japanese would say, he "yomi'd" it somewhere.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
btw nice job today bears

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Brosnan posted:

I watched this whole fuckin video

same

dude owns

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSSj8kUoSnc&t=670s

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

keyboard supremacy :hellyeah:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

New version of Divekick looking good

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Usf2's replay system cant record matches that take too long. They put some kind of data limit on the uploads

Wtf

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Real hurthling! posted:

Usf2's replay system cant record matches that take too long. They put some kind of data limit on the uploads

Wtf

capcom owns

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
If everyone online is using Evil Ryu, Violent Ken, and Akuma matches shouldn't be taking longer than 50 seconds anyways.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
capcom put out an ultra street fighter 2 "battle tactics" video a couple of days ago going through a few of the changes (which all seem terrible and pointless, like vega can't loving reattach his claw now??? great????) but what really got me was this

super turbo's default speed is 3, they slowed it down and tried to pass it off as speeding it up

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

why do developers hate fast

like there was this whole thing with starcraft's variable speeds too

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
the hosed up thing is they know it's what people want to the point where they try and lie about doing it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

why do developers hate fast

like there was this whole thing with starcraft's variable speeds too

Capcom Japan is probably still bitter that USA sped up their game

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

absolutely anything posted:

the hosed up thing is they know it's what people want to the point where they try and lie about doing it

stratego
May 6, 2007

Might as well be the tag line for SFV.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

absolutely anything posted:

I had Street Fighter 2 Turbo for SNES, and it let you pick any speed from 1-10. Why don't they just do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Rutibex posted:

I had Street Fighter 2 Turbo for SNES, and it let you pick any speed from 1-10. Why don't they just do that?

10 choices is too many.. it would give people option paralysis and they would just turn it off