Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Coolguye posted:

on the killer's side, if you kill at least one person and have a couple of good scooby doo chases you will stay stable.

Not with the emblem system. One kill nets you 1 of the 6 emblem points you need to get the safety pip. Assuming you hooked everyone once and only killed one, that's bronze devout a bronze maliciousness, or two points. You'd need to really drag out the match for a decent Gatekeeper emblem and also be really good at shutting down chases for a decent Chaser emblem, and honestly if you aren't shutting down chases quick you're probs not getting a good Gatekeeper emblem.

Like it's not a hard "you need 2 kills to get a safety pip" anymore but it basically is, and poo poo you can get three kills and only safety pip. Although now that BNP isn't basically one free gen that's probably not gonna happen very much any more. Rank 1's still mostly about patience more than anything though. Play enough and you'll get enough idiots to get there probably, especially if you're playing Nurse or Hillbilly.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Aug 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

Coolguye posted:

i just want to point out that the DbD thread eventually got locked by the thread creator in part because the state of the game is such that yes, you actually do need to have these unless you are in goof off mode and it makes the game a pretty bad experience if you don't

at which point you might as well stop pretending and play friday the 13th

DbD is an extremely bad game for anything but eSports chase-and-troll and depending on what patch is out it's frequently bad even for that.

When did this happen? I know the midseason patch that came out pretty recently has the streamer community going "it's pretty balanced" and one dude deleting a thread out of frustration doesn't speak much to me evidence wise

I've just been playing for a week or two and I'm having fun, anyway! It's fun to learn what the perks are and the best ways to use them and how to evade each killer differently! Mind I am only rank 10 or so as survivor, maybe when I get down to 1 the game will take a hard turn for bullshit but until then :shrug:

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
The thread was closed around the big Feb patch, which was a loving disaster. It was also when Cote, one of the directors, told killers to go play Civilization if they had complaints which uh was real loving dumb since holy poo poo the Feb patch was bad. High tier flashlights were near instant blinds, you could be blinded from the side, you could be blinded at any point during a pick up animation and it counted, Doctors could get pallet stunned if they were charging up and the range on their attack overlapped the pallet, nurses got stunned if during their blink they crossed a pallet, the whole thing was a total poo poo show. This was also a bit after they demolished Freddy because Survivors got pissy, and I believe after the first Wraith rebalance which was a joke. They ended up reversing a lot of the changes but yeah, none of it should have happened the way it did in the first place.

It's probably a big part of why they finally got rid of the pallet vacuum, and why they're pushing the PTBs so hard. And why the clown got that nice long preview period that other killers haven't.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
tbf telling people to play Civ is always great advice

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

I think that might be counterproductive to posting in a thread about your own game tho

Although as far as comedy from sassing the developer of a game posting in the thread goes, nothing will top the Thermidor: Juicy Fruities threads.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Oh no, that wasn't in the thread. That was on a dev stream Q&A.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Quicksilver6 posted:

I think that might be counterproductive to posting in a thread about your own game tho

Although as far as comedy from sassing the developer of a game posting in the thread goes, nothing will top the Thermidor: Juicy Fruities threads.

Oh god the Thermidor thread was too good for this sinful world :allears: That guy just could not puzzle out what was going on :thermidor:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

CharlestonJew posted:

tbf telling people to play Civ is always great advice

it'll certainly be a more enriching and enjoyable experience than playing dude by daylight

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

TGLT posted:

The thread was closed around the big Feb patch, which was a loving disaster. It was also when Cote, one of the directors, told killers to go play Civilization if they had complaints which uh was real loving dumb since holy poo poo the Feb patch was bad. High tier flashlights were near instant blinds, you could be blinded from the side, you could be blinded at any point during a pick up animation and it counted, Doctors could get pallet stunned if they were charging up and the range on their attack overlapped the pallet, nurses got stunned if during their blink they crossed a pallet, the whole thing was a total poo poo show. This was also a bit after they demolished Freddy because Survivors got pissy, and I believe after the first Wraith rebalance which was a joke. They ended up reversing a lot of the changes but yeah, none of it should have happened the way it did in the first place.

It's probably a big part of why they finally got rid of the pallet vacuum, and why they're pushing the PTBs so hard. And why the clown got that nice long preview period that other killers haven't.

Behavior is a loving mess and Cote's ideas are awful and Dead by Daylight's lovely gameplay shows it.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Coolguye posted:

dude by daylight

BRB, buying unity assets and making an mspaint steam store page

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
DbD does do a number of interesting things in an incredibly challenging design space. It's a shame they can't make it work.

Danaru posted:

Oh god the Thermidor thread was too good for this sinful world :allears: That guy just could not puzzle out what was going on :thermidor:

Please tell me more

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

It's telling which streamers are willing to keep giving BHVR chances and do-overs.

Two of the biggest killer primary streamers for example, Tru3talent and Marth88 (Frequently thought of as THE best killer), Tru3 very obviously doesn't enjoy the game anymore, regularly rages and Marth has given up on the game.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes

Danaru posted:

This sounds like an entertaining train wreck and I'm interested to learn more

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Discendo Vox posted:

Please tell me more

Jukebox Hero posted:

This sounds like an entertaining train wreck and I'm interested to learn more

Game dev comes to SA to market his JRPG based on the French Revolution. It looks really bad. Goons sarcastically poo poo on the game. Dev continues posting, blissfully unaware. Dev is banned for account sharing.

It's great. The whole thing is here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3793353

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
aww, they had so much heart. :(

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Yardbomb posted:

It's telling which streamers are willing to keep giving BHVR chances and do-overs.

Two of the biggest killer primary streamers for example, Tru3talent and Marth88 (Frequently thought of as THE best killer), Tru3 very obviously doesn't enjoy the game anymore, regularly rages and Marth has given up on the game.

Tru is loving weird when it comes to the game though.

I've come around on dead hard not being that good, because every time he say's "dead hard is really good" he murders the fucker 5 seconds later. Or he'll complain that all the perks are way to good midway through breezing through another 4k.

What might make me quit playing the game is funnily enough, the killer community. I've had killers throw games because i'm levelling up Laurie and using decisive strike, so they'll just facecamp me the whole game.

My friends love it, they get a free pip and an escape, but killers are so mad that I dare use a perk they don't like, despite every killer i see running loving BBQ and Ruin :argh:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Grapplejack posted:

Part of me wonders if team silent hates sh2 because it poisoned the discourse around the series

Everything that came after it was compared to it and found wanting, even if it played better or did interesting things with the premise.

Team Silent was never all that consistent between games. Actually, does Team Silent even exist at all anymore? I would have thought they all got sent to the pachinko mines after Silent Hills was cancelled.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Team Silent was never all that consistent between games. Actually, does Team Silent even exist at all anymore? I would have thought they all got sent to the pachinko mines after Silent Hills was cancelled.

iirc the remaining members split and went on to other things after The Room.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

iirc the remaining members split and went on to other things after The Room.

I'm sorry, Mr. Vox, but this is all I could think of reading that sentence.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

dogstile posted:

Tru is loving weird when it comes to the game though.

I've come around on dead hard not being that good, because every time he say's "dead hard is really good" he murders the fucker 5 seconds later. Or he'll complain that all the perks are way to good midway through breezing through another 4k.

What might make me quit playing the game is funnily enough, the killer community. I've had killers throw games because i'm levelling up Laurie and using decisive strike, so they'll just facecamp me the whole game.

My friends love it, they get a free pip and an escape, but killers are so mad that I dare use a perk they don't like, despite every killer i see running loving BBQ and Ruin :argh:

Tru3 has played for a very long time. Things can be very good yet not enough. As for DS, the issue is there's no response. You can bait out a dead hard, you can just switch targets if they sprint burst, but there's only two killers that can consistently respond to a Decisive Strike - Clown can dump gas before picking you up and Hag can trap where they think you'll go before picking you up. Killers pick Ruin because it's the only way to keep gens from getting done super quick if the survivors have any coordination. And you can power through it just fine, or just get lucky and the hex spawns in a bad location. BBQ is tough, but only Nurse, Billy, and Wraith can really capitalize on it. Plus you can counter it by hiding behind a generator (its aura will overlap yours) or you can just spend 4 seconds walking in the wrong direction. It's mostly for the points or catching an incoming hook swarm. If you're in a SWF just have one of your friends tip everyone off if they see the killer wildly looking around after a hook.

Decisive Strike from the killer's perspective is: you win the chase and then the survivor gets to say "actually nah" and waste more of your precious time. If you're lucky you're playing one of those two killers or there's a hook close enough to juggle over to. Otherwise gently caress you do it again.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Yeah like I can't fault a single person ever for facecamping DS users, it's the most "Get out of jail free" perk in the whole game and Ruin is one of the only ways to make games last more than a couple of minutes at high level.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I dont really get the love or hate for decisive strike. Once you get hit by it, it's a dead perk slot. Just eat the shiv and then it's gone forever

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'm not at a high level, i'm rank 15. People are deluded if they think DS is getting me any more time than dead hard is getting me.

Granted i'll let them rage out that i'm using the perk, because its kinda funny to be awarding my friends free win based off of killer anger.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

dogstile posted:

I'm not at a high level, i'm rank 15. People are deluded if they think DS is getting me any more time than dead hard is getting me.

Granted i'll let them rage out that i'm using the perk, because its kinda funny to be awarding my friends free win based off of killer anger.

It's a base 4 second stun, or 16 meters of distance before they can chase again, unless they're running Enduring. Half a normal terror radius if that makes more sense. That's more than a missed hit and there's nothing you can do about it. It's really that last bit that makes DS so frustrating. You know it's coming and you can't do anything but eat it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

It's okay, I thought it too.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

TGLT posted:

It's a base 4 second stun, or 16 meters of distance before they can chase again, unless they're running Enduring. Half a normal terror radius if that makes more sense. That's more than a missed hit and there's nothing you can do about it. It's really that last bit that makes DS so frustrating. You know it's coming and you can't do anything but eat it.

Honestly with the new killer stuff being really good (trapper having traps that injure you so he entirely locks down an area, hag placing 15 glyphs a second) i'm cool with it.

I ran into a group of four people running decisive last night and just slugged them all down (thats when you just hit them all without picking them up right?), juggled them to the hooks one at a time.

Got called a tryhard oval office, people are mad when they're beaten.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Yesterday was the fourth anniversary of Five Nights at Freddy’s. True to his word, Scott Cawthon granted YouTuber Lewis “Dawko” Dawkins an interview as agreed to in their bet whether Dawko could beat Ultimate Custom Night’s “impossible” 50/20 mode. Scott’s only major stipulation was no lore questions, reason being by definitively answering them just causes strife in the fandom, which he seeks to avoid.

Some highlights:

- Most characters and names just came to him naturally with little struggle. Freddy was always a bear with a top hat and microphone. Foxy however was almost a wolf or a beaver before Scott decided on a fox.
- Originally the third game was meant to be the end, but criticism of the jumpscares and the ambiguousness of the story influenced him to create FNaF 4 and Sister Location. He shared his favorite genre is sci-fi which influenced the SL aesthetic - he had to remind himself these were horror games and pull back on the sci-fi a bit!
- the FNaF World fiasco while being the least significant in terms of profit was most significant in guiding Scott’s career and work ethic going forward. At the time he wanted to do the cute RPG because after two years of murder plot he wanted to work on something lighter. He remarked had he approached the film with the same attitude he had two years ago “there would be three movies by now, and they’d all be terrible.”
- Speaking of the film, we almost got “plush toys coming alive and overrunning Manhattan,” an idea he clearly didn’t come up with or care for. He didn’t go into detail but he apparently has a huge amount of control over the current film.
- For the huge number of characters in UCN Scott made the jumpscare images smaller then scaled them up to get around Clickteam’s file size limits.
- While this is the end of Scott personally making FNaF games/adding to the overarching story, he confirmed there are currently VR and console versions in the works as well as an ARG (not FNaF GO, don’t worry).

Throughout the interview he remarked what an honor it was to have so many people, kids in particular, create art and fan games of his characters. It’s clear he’s grateful for his success and several times shared stories of sharing this with his family, especially his two sons. He also told a cute story where he got a letter addressed just to “Foxy” and how he’s planning on writing that kid back in character :3: I know some folks deride FNaF for a host of reasons but I encourage you all to listen to Scott for some insight, especially as someone who flat-out doesn’t do interviews in general.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
As much as I used to poo poo on FNAF for being a jumpscare game that rehashes itself constantly, the guy behind it has made all of my (mostly unfounded) hate for the series disappear.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
ye hes a good man

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

he actually made an attempt to make each new game play a bit differently which is more than what can be said for some

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It's refreshing in 2018 to have a creative acknowledge most of their work is enjoyed by children and even if his games are violent and scary he certainly creates a friendly, drama free environment around them.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
knowing that kids will consume horror and trying to make games that will satiate those feelings of wanting to be scared without it being traumatic or super violent is totally awesome.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Parachute posted:

knowing that kids will consume horror and trying to make games that will satiate those feelings of wanting to be scared without it being traumatic or super violent is totally awesome.

pretty much. its good kids/ in general first horror. though personally. i find the first game the creepiest mostly because stuff is still uknown and the animatronics looks creepy as gently caress. but once the graphics got better, its less creepy. but that's mostly because of my personal opinion of horror.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

rudecyrus posted:

Game dev comes to SA to market his JRPG based on the French Revolution. It looks really bad. Goons sarcastically poo poo on the game. Dev continues posting, blissfully unaware. Dev is banned for account sharing.

It's great. The whole thing is here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3793353

It's no Demon Rush, that's for surMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

FNAF is not really my thing but I applaud the creator's success and his continual ownage of the pathetic Game Theory guy.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Who's the game theory guy? I haven't been paying attention

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

MatPat (although he doesn’t work alone), who rose to popularly with videos theorizing about the possible “true” plot to FNaF. Cawthon did mention in the interview he had butted heads with him in the past, and note I’m paraphrasing, at worst Cawthon made it sound like his frustration was with himself for failing to nail that perfect balance of his story being mysterious enough to leave questions hanging but still clear enough to avoid suggesting something totally off. In fact he explained in the past when he saw extremely wrong theorizing he’d craft his next teaser or trailer to counteract that and hopefully steer people back on track.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
As far as the FNaF series goes, I just wanna know what the gently caress was the deal with the box

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
matpat is a four-flushing palooka who gets clicks by "theorizing" the most outlandish bullshit he can think of and then milking the fallout for months, may he and all other youtube personalities be banished to a toilet bowl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

I was hoping the interview would start with the "Hello? Uh, hello hello?" so anything else is just a bonus for me.