Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

loving Moron posted:

I have an A71 5G and I just think it is time to upgrade to like last years models or something.

And yes I am a loving moron and accept it.

Ask them whether you can get a better deal on the Samsung S23 or S24. Sometimes they give a bigger discount to trade in on the more recent one.

If it helps, I am also a loving moron.

Takes No Damage posted:

Need to upgrade dad's Moto G Power, looking for a general upgrade in specs/storage and to stay with Android. From the last few pages that seems to be pretty much the Pixel 7 or 7a? His priorities are internal storage and camera quality.

Assuming that's true, what kind of future proofing could I get, if any, out of springing for a Pixel 8?

Pixel 7a, or 7 if you find it for a similar price.

Pixel 8 will have more camera feature, better processor, etc, but if hes been happy the the G Power probably not worth paying the price difference for the 8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
I'm still on a Pixel 4a, don't have a pressing need for a new one but it's time to start looking.

Do they make good phones with 3.5mm headphone jacks and no AI stuff? Or is that just not how phones work anymore? I was tempted by the Nothing Phone and one of the razrs.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Serenade posted:

I'm still on a Pixel 4a, don't have a pressing need for a new one but it's time to start looking.

Do they make good phones with 3.5mm headphone jacks and no AI stuff? Or is that just not how phones work anymore? I was tempted by the Nothing Phone and one of the razrs.

Headphone jacks are gone.

AI stuff is mostly high end stuff. Someone correct me if Im wrong, but the Pixel 7a doesnt have a lot or any AI junk?

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
I mean I have a Galaxy A14 and it has been exactly as much phone as I need for $150, with a headphone jack and SD card slot. I think there is a higher peformance A series with the headphone jack as well that can also be had with an OLED screen and a better camera.
Also why is this thread so pushy about the Pixels? Everyone I know who's gotten one really doesn't like it.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

DildenAnders posted:

I mean I have a Galaxy A14 and it has been exactly as much phone as I need for $150, with a headphone jack and SD card slot. I think there is a higher peformance A series with the headphone jack as well that can also be had with an OLED screen and a better camera.
Also why is this thread so pushy about the Pixels? Everyone I know who's gotten one really doesn't like it.

Your experience isn't true for most - it's really hard to beat the Pixels when it comes down to price/performance. A lot of people, myself included, are not fond of Samsung, either. Also, particularly in the US, there is a lot more of an illusion of choice than actual choice, particularly when you include carriers into the equation.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Headphone jacks are gone.

AI stuff is mostly high end stuff. Someone correct me if Im wrong, but the Pixel 7a doesnt have a lot or any AI junk?

Pretty sure AI is (or will be) just part of Android now

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DildenAnders posted:

I mean, glad its working for you, but the A14 (A10s) line of Samsung phones are basically one tier above their super cheap phones (the A04), and imo the processor , screen , hardware etc would drive me nuts. Albeit, $150 is at least a reasonable price for that level.

A majority of people use their phones all day every day, and while they dont necessarily need to spend $800, it is worth it for most to consider spending a bit more to have a high quality phone. And sorry, the A14 is not a high quality phone (I am glad it works for you).

The sweet spot is the medium phone that retails $300-500ish, and overall the Pixel gets recommended because itll get the best software support from Google, has a great camera and again doesnt break the bank. It absolutely is worth it for the majority of people to spend $400ish for a Pixel mid range phone.

I mean, all that said, I would tell you Apple all day every day, but for Android users Pixel is a good bet. Samsung mid and high end phones are fine for the record.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

DildenAnders posted:

There are essentially four categories of phone right now:

iPhone - the go-to for a lot of people, it "just works" as long as you like the Apple apps don't mind being very restricted in what you're allowed to do with your phone, and have enough money to pay the iPhone premium. The specs are going to be very good, the experience is going to be great.

Budget Android - The Samsung A-series, Moto G-power, and tons of other phones you've probably never heard of. They're generally underpowered, frequently interact badly with a lot of apps, and will just drop updates after random (frequently very short) amounts of time. Fine if you use your phone very little, what you're stuck with if you can't afford something more expensive. There's arguably a "mid-range" category as well--that has better specs, a bit better user experience, and is less likely to just drop security updates--but I would still roll most of those phones into this category.

Gimmick phone - Something like the OnePlus or the Nothing phone, the Linux of the phone world, mostly for people who are willing to spend a bit more time loving around getting their phone working, and are okay with some app incompatibilities.

Flagship phones - The Samsung Galaxy S-Series and the Pixel phones. Guaranteed security updates for several years, most Android apps are going to be specifically tested on these phones, and they're going to have the best processors and the most RAM. I would honestly say that I think Samsung makes better phones, but they cram them full of so much bullshit that I don't understand how people deal with it, but I'm not going to yuck anyone's yum. The Pixel has the "clean Android" experience, which is nice enough, but you are stuck using either Google's lovely apps, or whatever third-party apps you can find--good loving luck with that.

So, your options are: being handheld and greatly restricted in use on a tool you're paying thousands of dollars for, just garbage-tier performance but affordable, something off-brand with potentially questionable security practices that you have to spend a bunch of time maintaining, or an expensive tool with poo poo first-party apps but that will continue to get security updates for quite awhile.

Which is all to say everything sucks, all the options are garbage, and I'm just an old man yelling at a cloud.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Duckman2008 posted:

The AI junk is just part of Android now. My 6 keeps telling me it can translate my texts.

Speaking of cheap Pixels, Woot has a bunch of sixes and sevens for decent prices right now: https://electronics.woot.com/plus/new-google-pixel-7-pro-all-capacities-and-colors

Refurbed 6 as low as $200, new 7 Pro/512 for $470, others in between.

I'm casually looking for backups right now and while Motorola has a newer Moto G around $200, it has half the RAM and I'd bet the processor and updates also trail the older Pixel 6.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
FWIW, A14 has like 4 (if not more) years of security updates.

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

I'm looking for something for a parent with mild dementia. They've never been good with smartphones, so simplicity is a must. Anyone have experience with kid's/elderly phones that will call and receive from a limited dialing list?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Baby Proof posted:

I'm looking for something for a parent with mild dementia. They've never been good with smartphones, so simplicity is a must. Anyone have experience with kid's/elderly phones that will call and receive from a limited dialing list?

I dont know this one personally, but it came up when I googled around.

https://www.razmobility.com/product/raz-memory-cell-phone-verizon/

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Baby Proof posted:

I'm not sure, but I know Jitterbug phones have been around forever, and that's kind of their niche. Apparently they are now made by Lively, which appears to be owned by Best Buy:

https://www.lively.com/phones

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

Yeah those two phones seem to be my main options. A flip phone / dumb phone might work out too.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Little bit of drama happening with US Mobile currently. They recently updated their plans and they are now capping video at 480p across the board. Prior to this, subscribers enjoyed unfettered access to their favorite streaming services as an unofficial feature. Of course following this change, a bunch of people are pissed about it, including those who sign up for annual plans. Fortunately the CEO has committed to getting that fixed for those people but they will also be getting the cap after their original plan is done. Don't see much else has changed in the plans other than some international long distance stuff.

Something to keep in mind if you're still shopping for a carrier.

Edit: Oh, native roaming is gone too...

Edit #2: A better write up of changes: https://www.reddit.com/r/USMobile/comments/1dnnwkv/summary_of_us_mobiles_new_plan_changes_june_20th/

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jun 24, 2024

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Google Fi stays winning as the least poo poo carrier I've ever used.. and the cheapest.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Looking for a new android phone prioritising:
* Camera quality. Some telephoto would be great. Don't care about video.
* Battery life
* Lack of bloatware
* Not insanely yuge, smaller the better
* E-Sim would be great

Don't care about gaming performance, screen refresh rate etc.

My budget is 600/$800. Frontrunners are Nothing 2/a and Pixel 8a at the moment, but I don't really know what options are out there. I currently have a Motorola Power of some description and I'll miss the flashlight gesture, but I'm jealous of the picture quality my friends have with their newer, fancier phones.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jun 25, 2024

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Chas McGill posted:

Looking for a new android phone prioritising:
* Camera quality. Some telephoto would be great. Don't care about video.
* Battery life
* Lack of bloatware
* Not insanely yuge, smaller the better
* E-Sim would be great

Don't care about gaming performance, screen refresh rate etc.

My budget is 600/$800. Frontrunners are Nothing 2/a and Pixel 8a at the moment, but I don't really know what options are out there. I currently have a Motorola Power of some description and I'll miss the flashlight gesture, but I'm jealous of the picture quality my friends have with their newer, fancier phones.

Sounds like a Pixel 8 Pro is what you should be looking at, rather than the 8a. It's a bit bigger, sure, but it's the only one of the line with a telephoto lens.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Sounds like a Pixel 8 Pro is what you should be looking at, rather than the 8a. It's a bit bigger, sure, but it's the only one of the line with a telephoto lens.
I was really close to getting an 8 Pro today, but it seems like the battery life is pretty poor, it's big, and it's just outside my budget. I'd be interested to know how the battery life is in practice if anyone here has one. I've been down a rabbithole reading phone reviews and I would guess the battery problems are overstated for most situations.

The Samsung S24 and the Motorola Edge 50 Pro seem like options as well, but I'm wary of the Samsung OS and the Motorola has a curved screen. I guess a perfect phone doesn't exist and some compromises have to be made :smith:.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Chas McGill posted:

I was really close to getting an 8 Pro today, but it seems like the battery life is pretty poor, it's big, and it's just outside my budget. I'd be interested to know how the battery life is in practice if anyone here has one. I've been down a rabbithole reading phone reviews and I would guess the battery problems are overstated for most situations.

The Samsung S24 and the Motorola Edge 50 Pro seem like options as well, but I'm wary of the Samsung OS and the Motorola has a curved screen. I guess a perfect phone doesn't exist and some compromises have to be made :smith:.

Do not buy any high end Motorola.

Their cheap series at least the price is right.

Anything else absolutely not point over Google or Samsung.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Duckman2008 posted:

Do not buy any high end Motorola.

Their cheap series at least the price is right.

Anything else absolutely not point over Google or Samsung.

Seconded. Although with Motorola I'm not sure even the cheap phones are a good deal unless you consider them disposable - the support windows are so short and the updates so unpredictable that you're looking at a two-year lifespan at most, and that's if you buy them at release.

Stupid Decisions
Nov 10, 2009
Slippery Tilde

Chas McGill posted:

Have you used a recent Samsung? I know what they used to be like but now I personally find them completely inoffensive. I don't use widgets or the always on display so maybe those are still a bit iffy.

If you do go with Samsung then play around with offers on the store. Try asking on the chat function for a list of what is available. A lot of time they will stack together. Discount if you use the app, trade in any old phone and see if you know anyone with student discount, it's not always students as a lot of professional organisations get it as well.

A few weeks ago I got a S24 Ultra (bigger than you want) for £650 instead of £1200. Two big discounts stacked and I thought they would cancel the order but it arrived the next day.

Edit: the S24 series now gets 7 years of updates same as the Pixels which was a big thing for me.

Stupid Decisions fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jun 27, 2024

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Stupid Decisions posted:

Have you used a recent Samsung? I know what they used to be like but now I personally find them completely inoffensive. I don't use widgets or the always on display so maybe those are still a bit iffy.

If you do go with Samsung then play around with offers on the store. Try asking on the chat function for a list of what is available. A lot of time they will stack together. Discount if you use the app, trade in any old phone and see if you know anyone with student discount, it's not always students as a lot of professional organisations get it as well.

A few weeks ago I got a S24 Ultra (bigger than you want) for £650 instead of £1200. Two big discounts stacked and I thought they would cancel the order but it arrived the next day.

Edit: the S24 series now gets 7 years of updates same as the Pixels which was a big thing for me.

Samsung seems fine to me in terms of cruft, there's stuff preloaded in there but I don't really have to interact with it if I don't want to. The pre packed interface is fine, I stuck Nova Launcher on mine just for personal preference.

Edit: having had Pixels in the past I concur there's not really anything to recommend Samsung kit over it unless you're a weirdo like me that likes flip/fold stuff. And even then I bet the Pixel fold thing is decent, just super expensive still (although cheaper than a new Fold 5).

Fil5000 fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jun 27, 2024

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Dont get the Pixel Fold, Samsung is ahead of Google on folding phones. That said, folding phones are meh, I wouldnt look at one personally unless it was heavily discounted.

Otherwise, Google does have a bit more credibility on software, but honestly either Google or Samsung are fine.

At least we are out of the dark days where LG made phones.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Ah I miss LG doing wacky poo poo. The Wing was hilarious (and the villain had one in the Blue Beetle movie). Foldables are indeed pointless, I just wanted something a bit different to the black rectangle that is the standard now. There's no need for it, it's an indulgence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I'm gonna get the S24! Found a deal for it for £512 which seems decent. I'm sure it'll be better than what I have now. Thanks for the recs.