Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The thing that annoys me the most about HDTGM is that they seem to think that weird, unique, and fun moments that the filmmakers have chosen aren't intentional. Like they'll watch Death Spa and seem to come at it from the perspective that it's somehow accidental that the whole thing is a big fun gory camp comedy that knows exactly what it's doing and is pulling it off well. It's a weird punching down kind of thing where they assume they're smarter or more sophisticated than the filmmakers because the filmmakers are making "bad" movies, or that they think the filmmakers are always trying to make prestige pictures but somehow whoopsie ended up with Gymkata. It especially annoys me since they're all comics and writers and creators, and they should be celebrating the filmmakers and their interesting choices rather than talking down to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

The thing that annoys me the most about HDTGM is that they seem to think that weird, unique, and fun moments that the filmmakers have chosen aren't intentional. Like they'll watch Death Spa and seem to come at it from the perspective that it's somehow accidental that the whole thing is a big fun gory camp comedy that knows exactly what it's doing and is pulling it off well. It's a weird punching down kind of thing where they assume they're smarter or more sophisticated than the filmmakers because the filmmakers are making "bad" movies, or that they think the filmmakers are always trying to make prestige pictures but somehow whoopsie ended up with Gymkata. It especially annoys me since they're all comics and writers and creators, and they should be celebrating the filmmakers and their interesting choices rather than talking down to them.

Interesting. I haven't listened to those episodes in a while but I never really got that from them.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

hm yes very normal feelings about a comedy podcast

i haven't listened to hdtgm in a long time cause they were only doing live shows for a while, but they probably do less these days. it was fine.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Not to constantly pimp the podcast, but The Action Boyz does everything right that HDTGM does wrong.

I understand that it's better for comedy to have stakes and strong specific angles to approach the subject matter, but it's exactly the attitude of punching down and assuming creative choices are bad that feedmyleg mentioned, and the live format, really killed my interest in the show.I've noticed of taking away some agency from the actresses in certain episodes, which is off-putting. "Oh this woman is so dumb for being in this, she was totally taken advantage of," etc.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
I like gabrus and I like the action boys. Thanks 👍

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

This week's HH is also good if you want some insight about how actors approach their characters/creative choices/whether or not they like their toys etc

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Franchescanado posted:

Not to constantly pimp the podcast, but The Action Boyz does everything right that HDTGM does wrong.
I've noticed of taking away some agency from the actresses in certain episodes, which is off-putting. "Oh this woman is so dumb for being in this, she was totally taken advantage of," etc.

I like both for different reasons.
Can you cite a examples of " taking away some agency from the actresses?" I'm not disagreeing I just haven't noticed it. Maybe I just don't generally pay that much attention to episodes.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

The Ape of Naples posted:

I like both for different reasons.
Can you cite a examples of " taking away some agency from the actresses?" I'm not disagreeing I just haven't noticed it. Maybe I just don't generally pay that much attention to episodes.

The episode that made me notice the trend was Chopping Mall, where they talk about Barbara Crampton being tricked into the movie and how she was taken advantage of for being topless in the film, and yet never once referred to her by name, or acknowledged her career as a horror Scream Queen who has always been pretty proud to show off her body.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Franchescanado posted:

The episode that made me notice the trend was Chopping Mall, where they talk about Barbara Crampton being tricked into the movie and how she was taken advantage of for being topless in the film, and yet never once referred to her by name, or acknowledged her career as a horror Scream Queen who has always been pretty proud to show off her body.

I hadn’t seen Chopping Mall when I listened to the podcast, so in retrospect, if they had said her name, it would have really put things in a different light.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Scott is 100% right about Chris Farts's book being big long lists about food and concerts. It gets a little better when he's not listing the entries in Tina's tour journal but it's still very much a slog about 70% of the time.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
And they're 100% wrong about the best song on the album, "Drugs".

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
I absolutely love the idea of someone wanting to learn about Talking Heads and hearing Scott's diatribe about horny businessmen shoving corncobs in potentially underage girls' vaginas

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
It’s weird to hear the Scotts talking about music that I have an emotional connection to.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Waterbed Wendy posted:

I like gabrus and I like the action boys. Thanks 👍

same

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Today's improv4humans with the anti-mask activists was pretty good.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

They just put out a small trailer for it, Lapkus and Byer do all of Lord of the Rings, starting on the 18th. My god, they are going to hate it. The Hobbit trilogy might kill them if they don't die before.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Maybe I'll watch along with them, I keep meaning to but it just seems to always end up with me watching FOTR and then not going any further. I've seen that movie too many times now.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I really wouldn't be able to commit to watching a like three hour movie every week to keep up with the episodes. I was watching along with In Myers We Trust but fell behind at Halloween H20 because I couldn't find a stream and then once I was behind one week the idea of needing to watch multiple movies to catch up was too much but I'll go back to it at some point

it's a shame because that podcast is amazing and actually watching the movies makes it so much better with all the notes they take (I listened to all the Jason ones having only ever seen Jason X once like 15 years ago) I even enjoyed most of the Halloweens I watched!!

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Speaking of, I just started listening to In Voorhees We Trust and it rules. Luckily I've seen those movies enough times that I don't need to watch them to follow along (it's kinda making me antsy to rewatch them though) but it's been nice having a 2+ hour podcast that doesn't feel exhausting.

Gourley as Jason's lawyer character cracks me up every time.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

LesterGroans posted:

Speaking of, I just started listening to In Voorhees We Trust and it rules. Luckily I've seen those movies enough times that I don't need to watch them to follow along (it's kinda making me antsy to rewatch them though) but it's been nice having a 2+ hour podcast that doesn't feel exhausting.

Gourley as Jason's lawyer character cracks me up every time.

I just did a relisten of the first season and it's a really fun podcast for sure.

I love that Paul and Matt became good friends. I hope season 3 is Freddy, because their impressions of him are very funny too.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Don't know why it took me so long to get around to it, but You're the Man Now Dog is indeed a great podcast with a terrible name. If you like I4H but not Matt Besser, give it a listen.

It feels a lot like a couple improv podcasts from UCB alums I listened to back in the day that fizzled out.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
YTMND is back and this time it isn't a website, it's a whole rear end podcast. It's pretty funny! The best part of that show is the intro theme by far. It gets stuck in my head all the time.

You. Are the man now dog. You are the man. Now. Dog.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
If you're a Teacher's Lounge/Big Grande fan, do not miss the YTMND episode where Jon and Drew guest and they do a single 50 minute scene. It's amazing.

"PEEE-YEWWW! IT SMELLS LIKE A SON IS TALKING IN HERE!"

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Action Boyz has taken over my podcasting queue as the number 1 priority listen. It drops early monday morning and its the thing I listen to immediately and its a rare comedy podcast I can relisten to multiple times. Also in retrospect their output is insane. They haven't missed a week for like, 3 years at this point and once they started Shadow Wolves which is their higher tier patreon episode which was a Q&A thing it really just is insane. Their episodes are now averaging like two and a half hours and then with the extra one once a month you get another 2 hours. Its pretty impressive.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I'm like a month and a half behind on Action Boyz because I wanted to actually watch a few of the recent movies and haven't had the chance, and I know that if I listen to an episode on a movie I'm less invested in I'll spoil a dozen callbacks and new running jokes for myself.

Gwildor.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

JethroMcB posted:

I'm like a month and a half behind on Action Boyz because I wanted to actually watch a few of the recent movies and haven't had the chance, and I know that if I listen to an episode on a movie I'm less invested in I'll spoil a dozen callbacks and new running jokes for myself.

Gwildor.

I still wish I could join Action Boyz if I weren't violently poor.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I'm in the middle of the Mr Majestyk episode and they are on fire. Stanger describing Bronson's mustache as two sardines laying on top of his lip was magnificent. And god I would love to see Rodgers perform some sort of one-man monologue as Bronson.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

spoilers for today's action boyz:

stanger watched the wrong movie and doesn't find out until after they do the cold open and then say the name of the movie. made me laugh a lot.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

cams posted:

spoilers for today's action boyz:

stanger watched the wrong movie and doesn't find out until after they do the cold open and then say the name of the movie. made me laugh a lot.

This is why they don't give Stanger kisses

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Leave Stanger alone!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
That's not my voice, Action Boyz.

Thizz izz my voithe.

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.

Laterite posted:

I'm in the middle of the Mr Majestyk episode and they are on fire. Stanger describing Bronson's mustache as two sardines laying on top of his lip was magnificent. And god I would love to see Rodgers perform some sort of one-man monologue as Bronson.

This just reminded me that Wiley is a gigantic smokeshow 💨

And I'm a smokeshow buff

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
Beth Stelling is fantastic on HH this week.

The last three times I've heard her on a podcast she's been extremely tired and would have to keep apologizing for yawning while the hosts were talking, so when I saw her name I thought "This is gonna be great, Hayes and Sean are going to lose their poo poo when their guest starts yawning uncontrollably while they do bits," but man she really threw me for a loop this time. A HH first. Unless you count Cody wandering off to crap in the middle of the show, or was that I4H?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
That was every show Cody engineered. It's a good ep.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Waterbed Wendy posted:

YTMND is back and this time it isn't a website, it's a whole rear end podcast. It's pretty funny! The best part of that show is the intro theme by far. It gets stuck in my head all the time.

You. Are the man now dog. You are the man. Now. Dog.

In related "Big Grande projects with sick theme songs" news, I highly recommend watching all the episodes of How Ya Been? on Jon Mackey's twitch stream. Here's the first ep with Ryan Rosenberg

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Teen Pope holds up

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Oh nice, the unofficial stitcher RSS isn't updating today and I can't even download previous episodes.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

ArtVandelay posted:

Oh nice, the unofficial stitcher RSS isn't updating today and I can't even download previous episodes.
worked fine for me early this morning and again just now...
Are you on the new one at unofficialfeeds.com?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Last week's How Did This Get Played Premium DLC is an all-timer. One of those episodes where they maybe had "Video Game Oscars?" written down in an idea doc and immediately before recording said "Yeah, let's just go with Game Oscars, we can do 30 minutes with that."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

JethroMcB posted:

Last week's How Did This Get Played Premium DLC is an all-timer. One of those episodes where they maybe had "Video Game Oscars?" written down in an idea doc and immediately before recording said "Yeah, let's just go with Game Oscars, we can do 30 minutes with that."

just a fuckin gong show from start to finish, and it was incredible