Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Verviticus posted:

edit: we already had ariams corruption foreshadowed, do they really need to confirm in giant flashing neon letters "IT WASNT TYLER" like just let the stupider people think its him or something how little respect do they have for the people watching this show

lol just wait until you get to s3 and most people in this thread assumed that Detmer was also corrupted by Control. Or like any of the other glaringly obvious plot points that have been shown but some people still don't get it. Never give the viewer any credit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
"we have a traitor aboard. its tyler!"

*section 31 follows them anyway*

"well, now that we are five minutes away from the other ship, lets talk about what we know, on the bridge, in earshot of everyone"

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

lol just wait until you get to s3 and most people in this thread assumed that Detmer was also corrupted by Control. Or like any of the other glaringly obvious plot points that have been shown but some people still don't get it. Never give the viewer any credit.

havent gotten that far yet but ill just assume shes evil

edit: lol as if mines dont have some sufficiently bad enough association; ~BLADE MINES~

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

mllaneza posted:

An as the season goes on, Mariner is more and more down for a staring-at-the-warp-core session. Probably because her friends are, so that's cool.

Well, she does secretly love it too...

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Mariner was 100% down with totally lame warp core picnics after her holodeck movie therapy.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Yvonmukluk posted:

Well, she does secretly love it too...

I do appreciate that between her and Boimler there is a singular perfect Starfleet officer and it comes out whenever they're together from like Episode 5-onward, but while they're apart they're both just really lovely people.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
You hosed up! Now you're not the first officer, you're just the chief science officer.

Just tell her to gently caress off with her boyfriend and have interesting adventures. Like half of this season could be fun planet-of-the-week with those two and then the other half could be whatever the hell the rest of the cast does.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Everything about LD sounds great but I hate cartoons

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Cingulate posted:

My condolences on never having seen any of the good DC comics movies.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Cingulate posted:

All-timer post/avatar combo

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Spanish Matlock posted:

My condolences on never having seen any of the good DC comics movies.
Whenever you say “I hate cartoons”, you always get a bunch of “well you’ve clearly never experienced MY favorite cartoon, it’s about this all-female superhero squad disguised as tennis coaches at a Japanese high school who solve crime using the power of INCEST”. Sorry man, I don’t like cartoons. I don’t like your favourite cartoon either.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Cingulate posted:

Whenever you say “I hate cartoons”, you always get a bunch of “well you’ve clearly never experienced MY favorite cartoon, it’s about this all-female superhero squad disguised as tennis coaches at a Japanese high school who solve crime using the power of INCEST”. Sorry man, I don’t like cartoons. I don’t like your favourite cartoon either.

I feel like you're describing my problems with anime and arguments I've had about it, but that doesn't apply to cartoons at large.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

All forms of an entire medium from all corners of the globe are exactly the same.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
Congratulations to Lt Nilsson for her promotion from "wait who is that blonde woman again?" to First Officer of the Discovery

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Seemlar posted:

Congratulations to Lt Nilsson for her promotion from "wait who is that blonde woman again?" to First Officer of the Discovery

I suspect what happened is we're seeing multiple drafts overlap, where the first go was to promote Michael to give her a little authority but being First Officer means she technically needs to babysit the ship if Saru's doing cool stuff and can't be center-stage without contriving stuff every time. So Background Extra gets the job so the Science Officer and Captain can go do cool stuff.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

socialsecurity posted:

All forms of an entire medium from all corners of the globe are exactly the same.
I mean we can try this experiment where you show me your favourite cartoon and I look at it and say I don’t enjoy it and then we have confirmed that, yes, Cingulate doesn’t like cartoons. But I don’t think we should.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I suspect what happened is we're seeing multiple drafts overlap, where the first go was to promote Michael to give her a little authority but being First Officer means she technically needs to babysit the ship if Saru's doing cool stuff and can't be center-stage without contriving stuff every time. So Background Extra gets the job so the Science Officer and Captain can go do cool stuff.

Totally unnecessary if so, Kirk and Spock left Scotty in charge and went on missions together all the time.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
I think Burnham got demoted for very clear story reasons set up from the very beginning of the season not weird invented production fanfiction

Like Nilsson directly took the bridge position of Airiam, who was the Second Officer under Lorca which is why I assume she's next up. The only people that outrank her other than Burnham are the ones not on the bridge.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I think what people are getting at is that this isn't really a "hey let me tell you about my favorite cartoon!" and more "almost everyone says this is the best Trek in decades despite being a cartoon."

I understand you have a blanket dislike of animation, but I guess the real question is "do you like Trek enough to give the show a chance anyway?"

If not, cool, but again, general consensus is you'd be missing out on an excellent Trek show.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I think what people are getting at is that this isn't really a "hey let me tell you about my favorite cartoon!" and more "almost everyone says this is the best Trek in decades despite being a cartoon."

I understand you have a blanket dislike of animation, but I guess the real question is "do you like Trek enough to give the show a chance anyway?"

If not, cool, but again, general consensus is you'd be missing out on an excellent Trek show.
Yeah that’s the dilemma. I’ll probably give it a shot, and be disappointed :( but everything you guys are saying sounds just great.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
For what it's worth, I'm someone who tends to have issues connecting with animated material as well (though sounds like I may have more exceptions than you) and Lower Decks still really worked for me. It helps that it's grounded in a framework of the familiar.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Yeah, my main annoyance is how the dialogue tends to fall into that rapid-fire pacing that you get in a lot of newer cartoons, but it does open up a lot of possibilities as far as cool-looking aliens and great SFX.

I can't find a gif of it but the one ship disintegrating trying to warp out was one of the coolest space effects in Trek to date.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cingulate posted:

Okay, hold up. Who in the gently caress is recommending poo poo like that to you... on the reg? Also are you sure you’re not just confusing cartoons and anime? Because modern western cartoons are nothing like... Christ. Is your avatar supposed to be ironic, by the way? Just curious.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Casually dropping you don't like cartoons is a lot like saying you don't eat meat or you don't drink. This is an outrage, it cannot be allowed to persist

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Cingulate posted:

Casually dropping you don't like cartoons is a lot like saying you don't eat meat or you don't drink. This is an outrage, it cannot be allowed to persist

Those can have medical or moral reasons. I mean, like or don't like whatever you want, it doesn't matter. If you had left it at, "I just don't like cartoons" everyone probably would have moved on. It's just funny because the reason you gave was...weird.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cingulate posted:

and that’s cool, everyone has different tastes, but this is veering weirdly into “doth protest too much” territory for you, so let’s consider it dropped.

So, about that that Star Trek Disco, Very?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I didn’t give a reason actually. I don’t have a reason. I just dont like them.

So, about that star Treks thing

e:f,b

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
drat this episode of Star Trek Burnham! Unaltered rambling right after watching the episode:
I liked it. A bit too much killing, a bit too starwars with the sideways fly-by shooting and stuff but it is enjoyable. New discovery design? Guess Calypso short ain't canon anymore. Also it does seem stupid with first Roddenberry design triangle with floating nacelles. Also interesting how they will play the spore flip with those? I think they attach before the flip. Cool scenes overall, okay-romance-elevator-kiss. And the stupid gimmicky alien that can't sort the PT out feels copied from the elevator guy of Orville. Sudden unplanned escape didn't seem that forced, surprisingly. Also Georgiou feels different after she met the two holograms and the guy in glasses.
The whole thing still doesn't feel ST as it was, but it is enjoyable now. It feels like knowing Asimov's works by heart and then watching I, Robot. It starts to feel somewhat right but still not fully same.

nine-gear crow posted:

Okay, hold up. Who in the gently caress is recommending poo poo like that to you... on the reg? Also are you sure you’re not just confusing cartoons and anime? Because modern western cartoons are nothing like... Christ. Is your avatar supposed to be ironic, by the way? Just curious.

its a redtext av, looking at his rap sheet

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
With those sweet upgrades, Discovery can finally be the future show with the experimental ship that it probably should have been from the start. With this episode, it kinda felt like the transformation was complete.

It’s a shame it took until season 3, episode 6 to do, but hey.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Erulisse posted:

its a redtext av, looking at his rap sheet

:holymoley:

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Cingulate posted:

I am very much not saying that, and am instead using you as a medium to decry the quality variance in DC movies. You can have weird hyperspecific reasons to not like whatever you want. Maybe cartoons killed your mom. I promise you that I do not care.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

jesus, that rapsheet though :stare:

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
One thing Discovery gets right is its female/minority dominated cast, and presents it so nonchalantly. There’s no creepy Berman-esque hypersexualization, or awkward and borderline offensive caricatures like Chakotay. I bring this up because I only just now noticed there’s no cis white male main cast this season, and I’m happy to see Trek do something like that finally.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

About the next episode preview: Is Burnham gonna leave Discovery? That'd be an interesting take for a Trek show to have its main character not be associated with its title ship.

Also, every scene should end with Linus accidentally beaming in.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

HD DAD posted:

I only just now noticed there’s no cis white male main cast this season

I mean...under all that make-up, Doug Jones is a cis white guy.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

Phylodox posted:

I have just discovered he does not in fact have Marfan syndrome.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Phylodox posted:

True, it would be more accurate to say there are no cis white straight characters on the show right now. Still pretty great though!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

HD DAD posted:

One thing Discovery gets right is its female/minority dominated cast, and presents it so nonchalantly. There’s no creepy Berman-esque hypersexualization, or awkward and borderline offensive caricatures like Chakotay. I bring this up because I only just now noticed there’s no cis white male main cast this season, and I’m happy to see Trek do something like that finally.

I've not been watching Season 3 but did Stamets get the boot?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

multijoe posted:

Na he’s still running the spores. guess the point is he’s gay.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

multijoe posted:

While technically cis would apply to gay individuals, typically one term trumps the other when applying a qualification.

It's actually pretty complicated to talk about, because typically everyone of each qualification has their own consideration of what their identification is.

Regardless, in my experience while cis refers to gender and sex, and not sexual orientation, I've never heard someone refer to a gay individual as cis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I think it's pretty insulting to gay people and trans people to carelessly mix up the two concepts, personally