Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

It's becoming a de facto standard for gaming handhelds, kinda tempted to hook up my 8840U via oculink to a 4090 as a second TV gaming setup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

GN with an update on Kingpin:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZQyNvZy5do

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

FuturePastNow posted:

that Seinfeld 7900XTX looks sick though

Ftfy

'whats the deal with air coolers?!'

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

It's nice that he partnered with one of the more boutique brands, in the sense that it is probably important the PNYs and Zotacs exist alongside the motherboard companies.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Pretty cool to see Kingpin working within PNY. I like PNY cards and I was always surprised they never really took off in the consumer market like the other brands did back in the early 2000's or so.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
They're happily making all the workstation cards instead.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

SpartanIvy posted:

Pretty cool to see Kingpin working within PNY. I like PNY cards and I was always surprised they never really took off in the consumer market like the other brands did back in the early 2000's or so.

I’ve never had any issues with the PNY cards I’ve had. I think the name PNY doesn’t invoke the same XxREPUBLIC OF TUF GAMERSxX vibe and that’s what kept them small.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I had a PNY card when I was a kid and I got to watch it melt down and literally catch fire in the middle of playing Morrowind and that memory will never leave me because it took me a year to get another GPU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i have a PNY A6000, it's perfectly fine.
i can't say i've had a bum PC part - CPU, GPU, RAM, hard drive, mobo etc.
are there stats that give a sense for how often PC parts fail

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

shrike82 posted:

are there stats that give a sense for how often PC parts fail

Backblaze is good for hard drive failure rates: https://www.backblaze.com/blog/backblaze-drive-stats-for-q1-2024/

There is one Seagate model they used that has a nearly 13% failure rate. Oof.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I had a couple PNY cards way back in the olden days (Geforce FX/6-series old). Not a company I've thought about much since then.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
My 3090 is from PNY (bought about 2-3 months after launch in 2020) and it definitely needs a repasting temps wise (granted, I also moved it into a silence focused case with worse airflow when I upgraded to a 4090) but it still runs without issue otherwise.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
I had a PNY GeForce Ti 4400 back in the day that was an absolute trooper. It got dropped twice (my fault) and one of the times a capacitor came right off the back of the PCB and it kept working. No idea what that component was for but it didn’t affect the performance.

I dunno how good their cooling solutions are in the modern day but that card sticks in my mind.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

PNY has some high-end cards, but most of their cards are pretty cheap. They use thinner coolers, fewer heat pipes, and less dense fin stacks than the competition so they can undercut everyone by $15 - $30. Their cards still seem perfectly fine, but most of them run a little bit hotter and louder than everyone else's.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Really hate it when I update my AMD drivers and Frame rate target control is quietly set to 60 FPS again. That happens every time I update. I may miss that and play with limited FPS for weeks. Since I don't play much I won't notice.

I also discovered that my 6700XT uses drastically less power when I switch from 144 Hz to 120 Hz. Memory clock powers down correctly from 2000 to almost zero and HWinfo64 tells me it uses about 8 Watts TGP instead of 35 or so. The things you find by accident.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

yeah, power usage doesn't seem to track refresh rate linearly even with nvidia cards

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Watching the HUB video on VRAM, Steve recommends at least 16GB going forward if you want ray tracing. Which I didn’t realize/ forgot even the 4070ti doesn’t have.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Gotta use it in all those big ray tracing games like......ummm.....Forza Motorsport 8?

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Watching the HUB video on VRAM, Steve recommends at least 16GB going forward if you want ray tracing. Which I didn’t realize/ forgot even the 4070ti doesn’t have.

This is one of the big reasons I’m upgrading my 3080. 10 GB just isn’t cutting it when I want all the pretties on.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:

AirRaid posted:

This is one of the big reasons I’m upgrading my 3080. 10 GB just isn’t cutting it when I want all the pretties on.

I need to upgrade my 3080 12gb variant because even playing games at 1440p I can run out of VRAM. Some games I can't play at all at 4K which sucks because my 4K OLED TV is a lot nicer than my monitor.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I’ve never run out of VRAM on my 10GB 3080 but I also usually play with DLSS enabled and a frame cap to cut back on power consumption

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I am not sure that's a true statement quite yet. Maybe projecting in the future but you can say anything with that caveat. 4k gaming I am maybe willing to buy that but at even 1440p the number of games that outrun VRAM with 12GB or even 10GB is very very small.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Fun Fact: the 3080 came with Far Cry 6 for awhile and if you set the texture quality to maximum you would run out of memory.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Rinkles posted:

The video itself if you want to see his argument, whether you agree or not:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dx4En-2PzOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

His methodology here is not misleading but it is really only talking about a small part of the story. Early on he shows the impact of 8GB of VRAM, which yeah its starting to have an impact. Then the rest of the video he just talks about how much VRAM gets used but doesn't give us any data on the impact of lower VRAM, just saying "Some impact on frame timing" or "occasional pop in".

It's very reasonable that a game might only load textures in memory if you have the available VRAM, but that the risk of pop in is very low if you don't. That's good resource management. It doesn't mean you need to do it. He keeps saying "This requires over 12GB of VRAM" but hides the data that actually shows the impact. Very noteable he does not actually show you the impact of running any of these games at 10GB or 12GB, even if they will use more if available.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Even on my humble little 6700 XT I've seen it hit 10gb+ in a few games at 1080p with all the trimmings

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

DoombatINC posted:

Even on my humble little 6700 XT I've seen it hit 10gb+ in a few games at 1080p with all the trimmings

Sure my point is not "Will a card use extra RAM" but "What is the impact if you don't have it". It's not like the game crashes, the software checks for how much is available and if they're smart they'll use everything they can because they know there's not going to be anything else competing for that resource.

So does it tank FPS? (which a bunch of games will do with 8GB at higher settings) or is it just some rare instances of texture pop in.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Lockback posted:

Sure my point is not "Will a card use extra RAM" but "What is the impact if you don't have it". It's not like the game crashes, the software checks for how much is available and if they're smart they'll use everything they can because they know there's not going to be anything else competing for that resource.

So does it tank FPS? (which a bunch of games will do with 8GB at higher settings) or is it just some rare instances of texture pop in.

I feel like he does cover that though, he goes into detail at the start as you say, and uses those examples as a basis for his later comments about pop in, frame timings etc. He doesn't have to go into detail every single time he talks about frame timings, or pop in or whatever, because he already went through what that means and looks like up front.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Lockback posted:

Oh for sure, but cutting my teeth in a bygone era of spinning drives and memory leaks has given me an outsized appreciation for memory budgeting :v:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

AirRaid posted:

I feel like he does cover that though, he goes into detail at the start as you say, and uses those examples as a basis for his later comments about pop in, frame timings etc. He doesn't have to go into detail every single time he talks about frame timings, or pop in or whatever, because he already went through what that means and looks like up front.

Only on 8GB and only on a couple titles, one of which he said "Updates have largely mitigated these issues", and other titles the differences were very minor. H:ZD on very high I'd look at and say "Yeah, that is a real detriment" but Forespoken (after updates) it was just pop in when turning quickly in high distance environments. He could have easily added a avg/1% frame on his charts, or some other way of indicating the impact, but I suspect it would have muddied the message he was trying to convey and would cut engagement.

Basically, he uses phrases like "12GB is required to run this" but I have no idea if "required" means you gets an FPS drop, lower texture detail, occasional pop-in or what. That is a very important component if you're going to tell people something is required.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol if/when nvidia's next set of cards start at 8GB

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

shrike82 posted:

lol if/when nvidia's next set of cards start at 8GB

That will almost certainly be the case imo, for all three brands. (4050 Mobile and its cancelled desktop version are currently 6GB, Arc A310 is 4GB. Bus width = cost)

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I'm not even sure I'd be mad about a hypothetical 5060 shipping with 8gb/an 8gb version - the stink for me this gen was the 4060ti and 4070 launching with potentially bottlenecking memory allocations.

also the card being something like 1% more performant than Ampere without gen-locked software features but costing well over $500AUD there's also this. Also I'm pretty sure GN testing identified that the extra ram on the 4060ti 16gb made negligible improvements because the raster perf was so low you were pretty much turning on DLSS anywhere VRAM would have mattered, so in a way NVidia were right, but also wrong.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

8GB is probably fine for a 1080p, entry level card. But NVidia isn't really selling any cards at that price point anymore so....

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I don't have a problem with 8GB being sold with budget cards for $200 or less. Charging $400 for an 8GB card in TYOOL 2024 is pretty outrageous though.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I don't have a problem with 8GB being sold with budget cards for $200 or less. Charging $400 for an 8GB card in TYOOL 2024 is pretty outrageous though.

With inflation I'd say $279 is a good entry level price, maybe creeping into 300 if it has the full suite of features like frame gen.

Agree $400+ is bunk.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Is that the issue though - or the fact that the $400 card doesn't actually have the guts to take advantage of >8gb of ram (other than in edge cases such as launch-day console ports/games with lovely optimisation/unreasonably large textures in general) because it needs to render at 1080p or under to actually achieve decent frames to start with?

If the 5060/ti are actually 1440p-capable cards (before upscaling) and still ship with 8gb, that's gonna be hilarious though.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Aren't the 4060s 1440p cards? 1080p is a pretty easy resolution target to hit these days barring CPU bottlenecks

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It depends on the game and the settings you're trying to use, as usual. The 4060 is still below the 3060 Ti, which could be a little iffy at 1440p in some cases three years ago when it launched. And the 4060 Ti is just barely better than the 3060 Ti.

I don't agree with the premise of these GPUs not being able to take full advantage of >8GB buffers though. With 8GB, there are games that can run into problems at 1080p with settings that these GPUs are otherwise perfectly capable of running.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jun 26, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I don't agree with the premise of these GPUs not being able to take full advantage of >8GB buffers though. With 8GB, there are games that can run into problems at 1080p with settings that these GPUs are otherwise perfectly capable of running.

I ain't trying to buy a 8GB GPU in tyool 2024 but it's the most common VRAM + resolution combo by a significant margin so anything worth playing is getting patched in short order