Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

precision posted:

I would play the gently caress out of this game. Someone make this game.

That "Fist of Awesome" or whatever game looks like Lumberjacks vs. Zombie Deer, so you may get your wish!

Peven Stan posted:

I've always thought Five Below was a camping and outdoors supply store. Your post made me google and it looks like DealExtreme if it was a retail operation.

You pretty much nailed it, yeah. That Ouya controller looks like it'd be right at home with the corner of the store dedicated to third party Wii accessories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

I have a question about that "vent." Wouldn't it not really act like a vent. I mean, yeah, some hot air would escape, but it also seems like a lot of hot air would end up getting trapped in the system since the vent is just one small opening around the side of the machine.

I don't know anything about engineering, but it just seems like it's not really going to do a good job cooling. Am I right?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

precision posted:

Dude I get what you're saying, but what you're saying here is "Don't expect to be able to play any Android game, including the most popular one of all time, expect to be able to play 10 ports and an indeterminate number of indie games from people who are so allergic to money they'd rather develop for a "console" that has a userbase of 60k instead of the actual Android platform which has a userbase of millions".
If you thought the system was meant to play all Android games, what did you think the store was for? :psyduck:

Why would it be "instead of for phones"? It's "in addition to phones". Taking a couple weeks to port your game to OUYA doesn't somehow magically make it stop working on phones.

Also... are you seriously saying that you think being able to play Angry Birds would be valuable asset for OUYA?

Uncle Jam posted:

By the way, why do you need four controllers to play Angry Birds? I'm struggling with this point right now.
You're really just trolling, right? If you have any actual interest in finding out anything about the OUYA, instead of only trolling, go look some poo poo up, god drat. I know you get cranky when I point out the games in the OP but they are there for a reason.
Here is a four-player dungeon brawler.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElS7X3U8YpY

Not from the OP, but here is another 4-player game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z02jWKt4tPQ

You would know this if you had spent any time looking at the videos of the games from the OP.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

I also want to note that there are dozens of others games coming to OUYA (of roughly similar quality to the ones in the OP). Those are just launch titles. (and there are more launch titles, too)

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

XboxPants posted:

If you thought the system was meant to play all Android games, what did you think the store was for? :psyduck:

Another Android storefront that served a subset and also had revenue making opportunity for the OUYA devs. You know, like the Amazon store.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Really, you should try implying less. Let's see how you could have worded that statement from the previous page, which wouldn't have carried the same implications.

The original statement, for comparison:

quote:

Alright, let me put it this way. OUYA is taking ~8 months total to build these things. The one built 5 months in is going to be less complete & polished than the one built 8 months in.

So what is this implying?

- That the dev kits are "less complete and polished", but other than that they are fine.
- That three months will (you believe) be sufficient to complete and correct these flaws.
- That the dev kits are about the quality you'd expect from preproduction models shipped three months early.

Ultimately these things are implied because your comment is basically downplaying the flaws in the dev version and utterly inconsequential. But here's the real kicker - you didn't even need to say this! Here's what you were responding to:

quote:

Why do you think that it is OK that DEVELOPER CONSOLES that got sold for a huge premium over the regular consoles be subject to lovely build quality? If this is what they are delivering to devs at a cost of $700, what do you think the general, $99 spending public is going to get?

It doesn't matter how much worse the developer consoles are than what you're expecting out of the production consoles. That has absolutely nothing to do with the point you were wanting to make.

Here's (roughly) what I would have said instead:

quote:

People buying a dev console aren't paying for build quality, they're paying to get their hands on one with enough lead time to get their game playable on Ouya for the consumer release. For the dev release, having something that can be produced and shipped out quickly (and is the same as the production version tech-wise) is more important than making a high-quality case and accessories.

It conveys the information you were trying to convey while not implying that what the devs actually got is somehow decent or expected quality.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

XboxPants posted:

I also want to note that there are dozens of others games coming to OUYA (of roughly similar quality to the ones in the OP). Those are just launch titles. (and there are more launch titles, too)

Are any of these OUYA exclusives? Games I gotta get an OUYA to play?

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

XboxPants posted:

There are dozens of games! Dozens!

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Uncle Jam posted:

How would the Ouya acquire exclusives? Those usually involve paying the developer cash money to offset the loss in sales by not making it cross platform. The OUYA! team might be scammers but no scam can withstand the scrutiny of having to pay cold, hard cash to developers.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

XboxPants posted:

Seeing as you, and so many other posters in this thread, also thought that five months wasn't enough time to make a dev kit & a controller, I think we can safely say that you have no loving clue what you're talking about. For 99% of you, you are not a goddamn industry expert, and even if you are, you have no information about how OUYA is operating other than the bullshit you've made up based on a chain of assumptions that's so long you've forgotten that it's not based on fact.

If five months is enough time to built the entire dev kit & controller from scratch, then, yes, another four months is time for changes to be made, you loving moron.

Holy loving poo poo, I guess I made you mad.

Your Outrageous Suppositions are a Piece of poo poo!

Let's look at the worst case scenario where they quite literally had *nothing* done five months or however it was ago when they launched the Kickstarter. Do you really think that this massive pile of garbage they put together is worth remotely considering worthy of a developer system? Do you know that most developer systems are typically far more feature complete?

Look at the controller and tell me that they are somehow going to make it any better within the next three months, considering how bad it is right now. I cannot imagine how many words you have written about this thing which no one will remember in another few months. If you are not the greatest troll that the world has ever known, you should seriously re-evaluate your life, because I've never seen someone so vehemently supportive of such an obvious failure.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
The Sunk Cost Fallacy meets Games, starring XboxPants and OUYA.

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo

Slanderer posted:

And the "better" games all look like "8-bit inspired" hack & slash or tower defence. Revolutionary.

The known issues are loving hilarious.

quote:

The System button will flash On/Off at at interval of 100ms to indicate the batteries are low, and ultimately will power Off.

You know how most other devices flash once every 2-3 seconds? gently caress that. Users might not see it! We need to make this pulse 10 times each second.

Wait, that isn't even classified as an issue.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

luncheon meat posted:

Wait, that isn't even classified as an issue.

That's a feature.

OUYA! Because what gamers want is :pcgaming:

The stroboscopic low battery warning kind of jumped out at me too, that just seems like it would put undue stress on the light, as well as being annoying as all fucks. This is the sort of thing a professional design engineer would have caught.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
So let's pretend they actually do ship something and even then it isn't 100% a terrible train wreak. Who in their right minds would buy this? What is the target audience besides idiots who impulse buy everything they see?

loving huge glaring issues aside the best case scenario for this thing is loving BLEAK. Even big name consoles are having trouble remaining profitable with Windows, iOS, and Android mobile platforms that everyone has anyways because they also happen to be cellphones.

Someone bring bestow out of retirement so we can get these two to have a one on one poo poo posting match.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Jabor posted:

Really, you should try implying less. Let's see how you could have worded that statement from the previous page, which wouldn't have carried the same implications.

The original statement, for comparison:

So what is this implying?

- That the dev kits are "less complete and polished", but other than that they are fine.
- That three months will (you believe) be sufficient to complete and correct these flaws.
- That the dev kits are about the quality you'd expect from preproduction models shipped three months early.

Ultimately these things are implied because your comment is basically downplaying the flaws in the dev version and utterly inconsequential. But here's the real kicker - you didn't even need to say this! Here's what you were responding to:

It doesn't matter how much worse the developer consoles are than what you're expecting out of the production consoles. That has absolutely nothing to do with the point you were wanting to make.

Here's (roughly) what I would have said instead:

It conveys the information you were trying to convey while not implying that what the devs actually got is somehow decent or expected quality.

OK, I looked back through that conversation. What you got out of it was totally different than what I was meaning to say, as well, but I see that it's at least partially my fault and I do need to be more careful. I didn't include enough context for my response.

It's difficult. If I make my posts too long, then people just start to skim over them and it can cause just as many misunderstandings as if I make it too simple.

In that post, what I said was:

quote:

Alright, let me put it this way. OUYA is taking ~8 months total to build these things. The one built 5 months in is going to be less complete & polished than the one built 8 months in.

SixtySix had asked two questions, and I didn't specify which one I was answering. If you thought I was answering his question about why I thought it was okay for these dev kits to be lovely, then, yeah, it does sound like I'm saying the things you say.

But that's not the question I was answering, and I didn't do a good enough job of indicating that. The question I was answering was "if these kits cost $700, what do you think the $99 public kits will be like?" My answer was, simply put: "better". Or, to put it another way "some amount more polished and complete".

People have been suggesting that 3 months isn't enough time to finish the OUYA, and though I think it might be, I also think it might not be, so I didn't wasn't going to say "the public kits will be perfect". But, I do think they'll at least be better than what OUYA has right now. That was the point I was trying to make.

If you know that this is what I am talking about, it hopefully makes my post as a whole more coherent, because the next thing I talk is another reason I think the 8 month OUYA will be better than the 5 month OUYA.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

XboxPants posted:

People have been suggesting that 3 months isn't enough time to finish the OUYA, and though I think it might be, I also think it might not be, so I didn't wasn't going to say "the public kits will be perfect".

XboxPants posted:

People have been suggesting that 3 months isn't enough time to finish the OUYA, and though I think it might be, I also think it might not be, so I didn't wasn't going to say "the public kits will be perfect".

XboxPants posted:

XboxPants posted:

:staredog:
I can't believe it's almost 2013 and someone made this post. If you don't understand why we think you are possibly suffering from brain damage I don't know what to tell you.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jon93 posted:

So let's pretend they actually do ship something and even then it isn't 100% a terrible train wreak. Who in their right minds would buy this?

Pretty much just the people who already bought over kickstarter honestly.

When you look at other niche hardware like this, that's what tends to happen - nearly all the people who actually want one pre order it, and then a trickle of additional folks.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

XboxPants posted:

Also... are you seriously saying that you think being able to play Angry Birds would be valuable asset for OUYA?

...are you seriously not? Do you have any idea how much money that game has made?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

That's a feature.

OUYA! Because what gamers want is :pcgaming:

The stroboscopic low battery warning kind of jumped out at me too, that just seems like it would put undue stress on the light, as well as being annoying as all fucks. This is the sort of thing a professional design engineer would have caught.

FYI - LEDs give no fucks about being driven at 10Hz. For max output you're usually supposed to pulse them much faster.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Uncle Jam posted:

No. It is the only console that has them, for whatever that's worth. I know that doesn't matter to you, but it does matter to some people.

Slanderer posted:

This is pretty standard for three months before launch. How many games would you expect to be publicly announced at this time in a console's lifecycle?

Peven Stan posted:

:staredog:
I can't believe it's almost 2013 and someone made this post. If you don't understand why we think you are possibly suffering from brain damage I don't know what to tell you.

I can tell not only by how funny that sentence is, but by how hard I'm laughing at it, that I seriously need to go to sleep.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

theultimo posted:

The 5 months for a console is ridiculously short.

http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?29487-Comprehensive-list-of-Gamecube-dev-stuff

This lists gc dev kits: alpha kits, beta kits, you name it with a good 1-2 yr lead time compared to final hardware. This is releasing in 3 MONTHS. Another console with such a rushed schedule was the pippin, and you see how that turned out.

The hardware is like 1/10th of the normal hardware. Time works the same way.

Spittin Wheelie
Nov 4, 2005

Spittin is a nasty habbit...
I'm confused about why everyone is so upset that the OUYA team is doing EXACTLY what they said they were going to do?

These type of posts are the worst:

Mr.48 posted:

I'll admit that the OUYA surpassed my expectations in that I thought it would turn out to be a scam and that no units would ever see the light of day. Obviously it turned out to be a real product and not a scam.

However, I still dont think its worth what they're asking for it given the readily available alternatives. Its gaming ability will be terrible compared to the "big 3" both in terms of hardware and the actual games available for it.

Really? It won't be as good as the "big 3" ? No poo poo. It's not even meant to be an alternative.

Carecat posted:

The best part of this is even if they fully succeed at shipping Ouyas and they work fine it's still just a run of the mill android phone in a console case with no real market :toot:

The team has been transparent from the beginning that this thing is equivalent to a fancy android phone that can be hooked up to the t.v. so that games can be played in the living room. What didn't you understand about that?

OUYA manages to ship dev consoles in the timeframe they say they will and goons can't handle it.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Spittin Wheelie posted:

Really? It won't be as good as the "big 3" ? No poo poo. It's not even meant to be an alternative.

Then why did the OUYA team have games like Mass Effect 3 and Assassin's Creed on their "games you'd like to see on OUYA" poll if they don't think this is going to be a competitor for the big 3?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

XboxPants posted:

This is pretty standard for three months before launch. How many games would you expect to be publicly announced at this time in a console's lifecycle?

The thing is that these dozens of games are typically full-fledged games made by big developers, a decent percentage of which are exclusives that serve to show off the capabilities of the system and provide an experience that you cannot get on another console.

Most, if not all of the games mentioned thus far, do not meet these standards. Many of them are games that are coming out for other platforms, including Mac and PC, and then some of them are available for other smartphones. Again, most, if not all, of the games featured do not have graphics that would stand up against an XBOX 360 or PS3. Many of the games that look good are not exclusives, and even then, many of them are not really exciting. That's not to say that they are bad games, but they are not the type of game that make me want to buy a system. They're not Ninja Gaiden for the XBOX, Metal Gear Solid 2 for the PS2, New Super Mario Bros. U for the Wii U.

Like any console, the viability of the OUYA depends on its software library. People need to feel that they are going to get something they can't get elsewhere. And the type of games coming out for the OUYA aren't difficult to find, on either my phone or on my PC, or even on my gaming console. Hell, I can get Retro City Rampage for the PS3!

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

precision posted:

...are you seriously not? Do you have any idea how much money that game has made?

I thought that only applied to the phone versions, but looking up the disc-based 360 game on Amazon, it is listed as #286 so I guess it's not doing too bad there, either.

But regardless of that, you're too hung up on what operating system OUYA is running on. Running on Android in no way makes it more inherently suited to playing phone games than any other console. The hardware configuration - and by this I mean "non-touchscreen set-top box device with a gamepad pack-in" - is far more relevant.

Sure, it's easier to port to it since it's the same OS. But just because a port is possible doesn't mean it makes sense.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Spittin Wheelie posted:

The team has been transparent from the beginning that this thing is equivalent to a fancy android phone that can be hooked up to the t.v. so that games can be played in the living room. What didn't you understand about that?

If they're not trying to create an alternative to the big 3 then why are they bothering to make a device for hooking up to your TV and playing games?

We already have Android phones that can play all the lovely Android games you want, and we have Android devices that you can hook up to your TV and use for streaming and poo poo. What is even the point of this thing if not to create an alternative gaming console?

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo

XboxPants posted:

People have been suggesting that 3 months isn't enough time to finish the OUYA, and though I think it might be, I also think it might not be, so I didn't wasn't going to say "the public kits will be perfect". But, I do think they'll at least be better than what OUYA has right now. That was the point I was trying to make.

It isn't very hard to be better than the kits that are out now. 3 months til launch is just loving insane though. I'd be interested to know just how long it took THE BIG THREE to develop their current console interfaces. The countless people working on it, the focus groups, the testing etc etc.

Also I'm not sure if this has been pointed out but it's 3 months until they expect these things to ship. That's not 3 months of development and improvements from today. I'm no pro but I'm guessing manufacturing and packing all those preorders will take a while.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

XboxPants posted:

Sure, it's easier to port to it since it's the same OS. But just because a port is possible doesn't mean it makes sense.

Making money doesn't make sense. Indeed.

TaurusOxford posted:

Then why did the OUYA team have games like Mass Effect 3 and Assassin's Creed on their "games you'd like to see on OUYA" poll if they don't think this is going to be a competitor for the big 3?

The Mass Effect 3 OUYA port will be a visual novel with no combat.

Wait, that actually could be kind of cool...

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

luncheon meat posted:

It isn't very hard to be better than the kits that are out now. 3 months til launch is just loving insane though. I'd be interested to know just how long it took THE BIG THREE to develop their current console interfaces. The countless people working on it, the focus groups, the testing etc etc.

Also I'm not sure if this has been pointed out but it's 3 months until they expect these things to ship. That's not 3 months of development and improvements from today. I'm no pro but I'm guessing manufacturing and packing all those preorders will take a while.

Don't be silly, you can just fix hardware flaws with firmware updates, right? :downs:

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

TaurusOxford posted:

Because they didn't choose the games on that list, or even have any influence on them?

They asked people to fill out a survey with their top 20 most wanted games. Then they took the top 20 from those results and told people to rank them. They were completely transparent about this throughout the whole process.

OUYA Poll posted:

**Remember folks: these games are only suggestions from you - not official catalogue titles.**
I understand the argument that people make, that since they put out a poll and allowed people to ask for specific games, that's tantamount to offering them. But that's a bullshit argument and anyone who's stupid enough to be confused by that poll deserves what's coming to them.

Mr.48 posted:

If they're not trying to create an alternative to the big 3 then why are they bothering to make a device for hooking up to your TV and playing games?

We already have Android phones that can play all the lovely Android games you want, and we have Android devices that you can hook up to your TV and use for streaming and poo poo. What is even the point of this thing if not to create an alternative gaming console?
It is possible to own more than one console. Buying a Sega Genesis does not cause your Super Nintendo to melt, and even if you buy an OUYA, your 360 will still work, too. You'll just have more game options.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Jon93 posted:

So let's pretend they actually do ship something and even then it isn't 100% a terrible train wreak. Who in their right minds would buy this? What is the target audience besides idiots who impulse buy everything they see?

loving huge glaring issues aside the best case scenario for this thing is loving BLEAK. Even big name consoles are having trouble remaining profitable with Windows, iOS, and Android mobile platforms that everyone has anyways because they also happen to be cellphones.

Someone bring bestow out of retirement so we can get these two to have a one on one poo poo posting match.

Honestly, I have no idea. It needs way more than a 60k install base in order to prosper. gently caress, even the Xbox just recently became profitable after operating at a loss for a long time. That's with the financial backing of Microsoft. And yet Ouya is going to be profitable after launch because...why? There is not enough outside funding in the world to keep this thing afloat.

The Ouya is becoming even more pointless by the minute, moreso than most tech. More and more versatile android tablets are coming out that can be hooked up to TVs, powerful android sticks are on the way with Tegra 4, Steam is entering the field with hardware for cheap HTPCs, the Xbox 360 is going to go for cheap as soon as MS announces its new console next year...there is no way this thing does not get crushed into dust. I cannot see any way this competes. Not without some serious AAA backing (good loving luck with that. Oh, and Minecraft doesn't count).

I was willing to give it the benefit of the doubt for a little while, until I saw the 'developer console'. Its going to end up in one of those mall kiosks next to the engrish PS knock-offs where grandma is going to buy it as a Christmas present to a very disappointed child.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

precision posted:

Making money doesn't make sense. Indeed.

If you bring a game to a platform that the game doesn't work very well on, and the experience is poo poo as a result, you're not going to make a lot of money. (or maybe you get away with it a few times, but it's still not a good practice and eventually people will catch on and stop buying that sort of game)

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

XboxPants posted:

It is possible to own more than one console. Buying a Sega Genesis does not cause your Super Nintendo to melt, and even if you buy an OUYA, your 360 will still work, too. You'll just have more game options.

I'm not arguing that making an alternative console is a bad thing. Its just user Spittin Wheelie posted that they aren't trying to create an alternative console, when they clearly are.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

XboxPants posted:

They asked people to fill out a survey with their top 20 most wanted games. Then they took the top 20 from those results and told people to rank them. They were completely transparent about this throughout the whole process.

Did that transparency at any point take the form of them saying "Guys, Mass Effect 3 on the OUYA is literally impossible, so pick different games"?

Because if not then yeah, they really were kind of implying in the strongest way imaginable that it would be a very real option to play AAA games on their phone-box.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

XboxPants posted:

The Ouya doesn't seem to add anything that XBLIG and android devices don't have, though. Like you keep saying "It's an android console" but you haven't said why that's significant, or why anyone would care.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I found that OUYA has an exclusive game!
It is called Human Element. It is about surviving a zombie apocalypse.
It is also a prequel to something that doesn't exist yet. How that works I don't know.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mo Tzu posted:

The Ouya doesn't seem to add anything that XBLIG and android devices don't have, though. Like you keep saying "It's an android console" but you haven't said why that's significant, or why anyone would care.

As an amusing aside, you can totally get Angry Birds on the Playstation Store and guess what, it controls just fine without a touchscreen.

Oh poo poo did I accidentally just make a point in OUYA's favor? gently caress.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Uncle Jam posted:

I found that OUYA has an exclusive game!
It is called Human Element. It is about surviving a zombie apocalypse.
It is also a prequel to something that doesn't exist yet. How that works I don't know.

Humane Lement

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

precision posted:

As an amusing aside, you can totally get Angry Birds on the Playstation Store and guess what, it controls just fine without a touchscreen.

Oh poo poo did I accidentally just make a point in OUYA's favor? gently caress.
But rovio did spend more then 3 months porting it with ludicrous funding. I doubt any ouya ports will have that luxury.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Hot drat, I finally found some pre-order info to discuss.
http://m.computerandvideogames.com/9136/us-dreamcast-orders-pass-200000
Dreamcast managed 200,000+. PS1 managed 100,000+.

OUYA had 57,000+ by the end of the Kickstarter. They have more now. They will have more by the time it releases. I knew you guys were always being loving ridiculous by comparing sales numbers to pre-orders, but I didn't realize it would be that close. Yeah, it's not gonna be competitive against the big three, but if those pre-order numbers are indicative of sales, it's certainly enough to form a user base.

"Half as successful as the original PlayStation" seems downright decent.