Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Duckman2008 posted:

I’m a bit biased, but Xfinity / Spectrum are fine, it’s lower priority than Verizon customers but mostly the same coverage. Where they get you is Comcast and Spectrum eventually raise your internet bill, so they’re basically subsiding phone plans to keep you from switching when the internet bill goes up.

Less of an issue if you live in a place where the only good internet available is them anyway. It's not like there is anything reasonable I could switch to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

King Burgundy posted:

Less of an issue if you live in a place where the only good internet available is them anyway. It's not like there is anything reasonable I could switch to.

Totally agree with this.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

The deprioritization is real if you're in a densely populated area. I run into that with AT&T in my car's $10/mo plan. Turning on my Verizon phone's Hotspot usually provides better speeds. The real benefit to the in car hotspot is signal strength.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!

Duckman2008 posted:

No work discounts on any current plan.

I feel like I should check our employee discount portal tomorrow, because it's about the most expected thing in the world for them to have negotiated a discount for us that no longer applies to any of the current offerings.

We do autopay to a credit card for the points, but the autopay discount is now for only checking, debit, or the Verizon credit card, correct?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

PitViper posted:

I feel like I should check our employee discount portal tomorrow, because it's about the most expected thing in the world for them to have negotiated a discount for us that no longer applies to any of the current offerings.

We do autopay to a credit card for the points, but the autopay discount is now for only checking, debit, or the Verizon credit card, correct?

Yeah, to be clear, it isn’t your company, Verizon , as well as T-Mobile and ATT, discontinued work discounts going forward. So your company may still be advertising a discount , but it’s basically retired on the new plans. No company was given a choice on this.

The only other discounts are teacher , nurse, first responder or military.

The auto pay is for checking / debit only , or Verizon credit card yes.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:
Apparently I’ve used around 105gb of data this cycle. If there’s depriortizatioan, I don’t notice it. :circlefap:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
My mom has an older moto phone with Verizon. She is constantly having issues staying connected to RCS when using Messages.

I'm looking at upgrading her to a Verizon Pixel 4, which I believe uses eSIM. Is there any issue switching and activating a new phone, the old having a physical SIM and the new having an eSIM?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Hughmoris posted:

My mom has an older moto phone with Verizon. She is constantly having issues staying connected to RCS when using Messages.

I'm looking at upgrading her to a Verizon Pixel 4, which I believe uses eSIM. Is there any issue switching and activating a new phone, the old having a physical SIM and the new having an eSIM?

Pixel 4 uses a regular SIM too, for simplicity I would just use that.

For an eSIM you will need to call care and have them manually program it. Not super hard, but an extra step.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

My iPhone 12 Max seems to have a random bug that occurs every few days, usually when I restart. I receive an "Attempting to activate this line" and then "Line failed to activate" several minutes later.

Nothing fails to work during that time frame, but I'm curious as to what's triggering that. This has been going on for the past 6+ months.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

EconOutlines posted:

My iPhone 12 Max seems to have a random bug that occurs every few days, usually when I restart. I receive an "Attempting to activate this line" and then "Line failed to activate" several minutes later.

Nothing fails to work during that time frame, but I'm curious as to what's triggering that. This has been going on for the past 6+ months.

Stop by a local store and swap a SIM card.

Note: I recommend you make an appointment.

VZW.com/storelocator

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Duckman2008 posted:

Pixel 4 uses a regular SIM too, for simplicity I would just use that.

For an eSIM you will need to call care and have them manually program it. Not super hard, but an extra step.

Thanks!

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

King Burgundy posted:

So I feel like this is at least adjacent to this thread since Xfinity Mobile seems to rely on the Verizon Network. Anyone have any thoughts on it? It seems to be WAY cheaper so I've been eyeing it pretty hard.

I switched my family's 3 lines over to it early in July and so far so good.

You can change your plan anytime based on how much data you're using and whatever you have set at the end of the billing cycle is what you will be charged for the month. For example, we're all on WiFi most of the time (and the phone proactively connects to Xfinity hotspots) so our mobile data usage this month was really low. I chose the 10GB/$60 shared data bucket for our 3 lines in the beginning of the month, and yesterday noticed we only used about 1.75GB so I dropped it down to the 3GB/$30 bucket and the account portal says my bill for July will be $30+tax. Pretty nice, actually! I set a calendar reminder to check the data usage a day or two before statement close and will fiddle with the options to optimize cost each month.

A $10/month discount also showed up on my Internet bill for bundling mobile with it, so we're saving a ton of money. We'll see if they jack up my Internet price when it comes time to renew that contract. I'm in an area with two cable companies so Comcast does have competition here.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Hey duckman. What's the info on the current "give us your broken poo poo" promo?

I tried doing it on the app, and it kept talking about not being damaged once I started the process.

I'm planning on taking "cheapest kid alive" to the store tomorrow because he's tired of using my MIL's old iPhone 6 (probably because he's trying to impress his section leader), and is looking at a 12.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

AlexDeGruven posted:

Hey duckman. What's the info on the current "give us your broken poo poo" promo?

I tried doing it on the app, and it kept talking about not being damaged once I started the process.

I'm planning on taking "cheapest kid alive" to the store tomorrow because he's tired of using my MIL's old iPhone 6 (probably because he's trying to impress his section leader), and is looking at a 12.

They stopped the $700-800 trade in promos for damages upgrades around July 20th 😞

So, your kid has a broken 6 you are trying to upgrade ? Unfortunately , won’t have a trade in behind $100 if on a premium unlimited plan (not the old 110 plan or start unlimited). Even with an add a line, max trade in is $350.

The line may qualify for $300 off an iPhone 11 (it’s account based, so mileage varies), but nothing extra off the 12 series.

Btw, if you want I can call you and help directly , I now work in over the phone sales so I can directly help anyone. If you want me to check, PM me. I work Friday.

Those commercials frustrate me because they were really effective, but I assume they got way more people calling in than expected and pulled the promos earlier than expected as a result.

It’s crazy because most people just don’t notice and take whatever the lower promo is, which is fine. But yeah, I have the occasional customer asking for the free phone and I have to be like “yeah, that’s over, who promised that ? Kate McKinnon? I’ve never heard of her before. She’s a tv star ? “

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

They stopped the $700-800 trade in promos for damages upgrades around July 20th 😞

So, your kid has a broken 6 you are trying to upgrade ? Unfortunately , won’t have a trade in behind $100 if on a premium unlimited plan (not the old 110 plan or start unlimited). Even with an add a line, max trade in is $350.

The line may qualify for $300 off an iPhone 11 (it’s account based, so mileage varies), but nothing extra off the 12 series.

Btw, if you want I can call you and help directly , I now work in over the phone sales so I can directly help anyone. If you want me to check, PM me. I work Friday.

Those commercials frustrate me because they were really effective, but I assume they got way more people calling in than expected and pulled the promos earlier than expected as a result.

It’s crazy because most people just don’t notice and take whatever the lower promo is, which is fine. But yeah, I have the occasional customer asking for the free phone and I have to be like “yeah, that’s over, who promised that ? Kate McKinnon? I’ve never heard of her before. She’s a tv star ? “

He's got a functional 6, but we have 2 broken P3XLs.

When I tried to upgrade to a 12 in the app, it showed the broken phone promo there, bit it doesn't surprise me of it's not valid anymore.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

AlexDeGruven posted:

He's got a functional 6, but we have 2 broken P3XLs.

When I tried to upgrade to a 12 in the app, it showed the broken phone promo there, bit it doesn't surprise me of it's not valid anymore.

If the 6 is not damaged, they may have a $459 trade in promo (only condition is 6 or newer, no damage). It is account based , so again, no guarantee. But if you want me to check that let me know.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

If the 6 is not damaged, they may have a $459 trade in promo (only condition is 6 or newer, no damage). It is account based , so again, no guarantee. But if you want me to check that let me know.

PM'd

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Thanks, as always for your help, duckman. I used the link you texted this morning to upgrade the boy's line and he's very happy with his mint green 12.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

AlexDeGruven posted:

Thanks, as always for your help, duckman. I used the link you texted this morning to upgrade the boy's line and he's very happy with his mint green 12.

Lol nice. I was wondering who used my link, thanks for letting me know , glad it worked out !

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ordered an upgrade for same-day pickup at a local store at 1 PM. Got a confirmation but never got a ready notice so I checked the tracking at 5 PM and saw that the order had expired because I never showed up to pick up the phone. This obviously is not the actual reason since people usually have more than 4 hours to pick up their phone once they place an order.

Now my paid-off phone is showing a $1250 balance, I'm no longer eligible for an upgrade, and after 2 hours on the phone with support I'm told I have to wait 3-5 days for a form to be submitted to "cancel the agreement" and hopefully restore everything to what it was.

smgdh

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

My family (through my parents, 3 people) was on an older fixed-data plan (12+6 GB/mo) @ $128.30/mo.

We usually were fine with data; we’d get 10% data reminders with like 1 day left. No problem.

…except we only needed to get hit like once or twice for it to be a big deal: $15/GB to pay for overages. I got sick of this so I convinced my miserly family to hop to unlimited or I was gonna leave the plan to get my own unlimited.

We all switched to Start Unlimited. $135/mo. Man, I’m kinda pissed I didn’t look into this earlier. Something like $3/person extra to not have to deal with data cap bullshit.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Fallom posted:

Ordered an upgrade for same-day pickup at a local store at 1 PM. Got a confirmation but never got a ready notice so I checked the tracking at 5 PM and saw that the order had expired because I never showed up to pick up the phone. This obviously is not the actual reason since people usually have more than 4 hours to pick up their phone once they place an order.

Now my paid-off phone is showing a $1250 balance, I'm no longer eligible for an upgrade, and after 2 hours on the phone with support I'm told I have to wait 3-5 days for a form to be submitted to "cancel the agreement" and hopefully restore everything to what it was.

smgdh

Do you want me to help you with this ? PM me if so, if there’s an in store pickup my support team can *usually* cancel it and then I would help you re order it.

Standard disclaimer of mileage will vary, but I can at least get the best option.

Also, Sunday mornings are great for this if you happen to be free early, it’s usually slower so i don’t have a wait reaching out to support (as opposed to Sunday afternoons which are way busier).

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I have a corporate rate and I'm trying to port over from t-mobile. In theory, according to the website, I can get an $800 credit for each of my trade-in phones, but when I go through the process to check out, it removes that discount as soon as I say I'm transferring an existing number. Is that right? I can only get the promo on a new phone number?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Duckman2008 posted:

Do you want me to help you with this ? PM me if so, if there’s an in store pickup my support team can *usually* cancel it and then I would help you re order it.

Standard disclaimer of mileage will vary, but I can at least get the best option.

Also, Sunday mornings are great for this if you happen to be free early, it’s usually slower so i don’t have a wait reaching out to support (as opposed to Sunday afternoons which are way busier).

Traveling today but I’ll probably take you up on it if the issue isn’t cleared up in a few days. I appreciate it!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Glass of Milk posted:

I have a corporate rate and I'm trying to port over from t-mobile. In theory, according to the website, I can get an $800 credit for each of my trade-in phones, but when I go through the process to check out, it removes that discount as soon as I say I'm transferring an existing number. Is that right? I can only get the promo on a new phone number?

Need clarity here.

By corporate rate: are you saying you are a business customer , or are you a consumer with a business discount ?

I can’t tell if you are existing Verizon or not based on the question. Is this an upgrade (line is already on Verizon) or a new line (new service to Verizon) ?

Trade in promo , if on a premium unlimited plan, is $700-800 for new lines, $440 for upgrades.

Let me know what questions / help you need. If you are a consumer account, I can call and help directly if you need it. If a business account, I can’t touch any account under a tax ID, but can give you direction.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Duckman2008 posted:

Need clarity here.

I'm a consumer customer with a business discount. I use T-Mobile right now, but thought of switching because the rate is about the same and there are the good phone trade-ins. I guess the website is just hosed up.

I appreciate the help!

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I'm currently on the Get More Unlimited plan and with my job WFH indefinitely there's no reason for me to have unlimited data.

Is it still the situation where roaming is not great w/ prepaid or an MVNO like Spectrum or Visible? I appreciate that I can still get super strong LTE in the middle of a national forest backpacking or like 80ft underground in a cave, and it seems like I only get that kind of coverage on a post paid plan. My girlfriend w/ Verizon prepaid seems to lose signal a lot faster than I do, and I'm not sure if that's because she's using an older phone than me or if it's due to jumping onto a roaming network in those situations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Casu Marzu posted:

I'm currently on the Get More Unlimited plan and with my job WFH indefinitely there's no reason for me to have unlimited data.

Is it still the situation where roaming is not great w/ prepaid or an MVNO like Spectrum or Visible? I appreciate that I can still get super strong LTE in the middle of a national forest backpacking or like 80ft underground in a cave, and it seems like I only get that kind of coverage on a post paid plan. My girlfriend w/ Verizon prepaid seems to lose signal a lot faster than I do, and I'm not sure if that's because she's using an older phone than me or if it's due to jumping onto a roaming network in those situations.

Yeah, you’ll see a priority difference on prepaid versus postpaid. Mileage and preference varies a lot from what I can tell.

It isn’t much, but if you aren’t using that much mobile hotspot or free Apple Music, you can move down to play more for $10 a month less.

DrankSinatra
Aug 25, 2011
I have a dumb question about Verizon's phone insurance. My current Galaxy s10e has been giving a "moisture in charging port" warning for several weeks. I've never gotten the phone wet, and the port appears clear of debris and water, and I've also let it "dry" in a reasonably warm, very dry air-conditioned room for tens of hours in the off chance it was humidity or something. Also I've checked the water damage indicator that's visible in the SIM slot, and that one is fine (though it is on the other side of the phone from the USB port). That seems to suggest it's a hardware or software defect. My phone also has a minor cosmetic crack in the screen on one corner.

According to support, the following two facts are true:
1.) If I send my phone in for the moisture warning issue, the crack will trigger the $200+whatever copay.
2.) I could send my phone in for a $29 cracked screen repair, but that's a separate process from the replacement process described in 1.

In addition, the first agent I spoke with set up a replacement due to the moisture warning issue, even though I didn't ask for that, so now I have a phone coming in tomorrow. It doesn't seem like I should actually accept it, based on 1.

Is this actually true? That is, I should do 2 first, before doing 1? The entire situation seems needlessly bizarre to me, and I'm a bit flummoxed. Where I'm currently living is also roughly 3-4 hours from the nearest authorized Verizon repair location, so I can't just walk in and handle 2 in a timely fashion. I'm not sure if I should just swap phones when the replacement arrives and eat the copay or not. I'm not super keen on essentially paying over $200 for a refurbished s10e.

DrankSinatra fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Aug 19, 2021

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DrankSinatra posted:

I have a dumb question about Verizon's phone insurance. My current Galaxy s10e has been giving a "moisture in charging port" warning for several weeks. I've never gotten the phone wet, and the port appears clear of debris and water, and I've also let it "dry" in a reasonably warm, very dry air-conditioned room for tens of hours in the off chance it was humidity or something. Also I've checked the water damage indicator that's visible in the SIM slot, and that one is fine (though it is on the other side of the phone from the USB port). That seems to suggest it's a hardware or software defect. My phone also has a minor cosmetic crack in the screen on one corner.

According to support, the following two facts are true:
1.) If I send my phone in for the moisture warning issue, the crack will trigger the $200+whatever copay.
2.) I could send my phone in for a $29 cracked screen repair, but that's a separate process from the replacement process described in 1.

In addition, the first agent I spoke with set up a replacement due to the moisture warning issue, even though I didn't ask for that, so now I have a phone coming in tomorrow. It doesn't seem like I should actually accept it, based on 1.

Is this actually true? That is, I should do 2 first, before doing 1? The entire situation seems needlessly bizarre to me, and I'm a bit flummoxed. Where I'm currently living is also roughly 3-4 hours from the nearest authorized Verizon repair location, so I can't just walk in and handle 2 in a timely fashion. I'm not sure if I should just swap phones when the replacement arrives and eat the copay or not. I'm not super keen on essentially paying over $200 for a refurbished s10e.

Yeah, you’re kind of stuck with this one.

Technically, you can do 1 , then keep the replacement , and mail the now repaired phone back.

Two big things

1. If you mail back a cracked phone (any cracks), you are correct , they will charge you for it ($500ish).

2. It’s a risk on sending the phone back. If it is indeed water damaged, they’ll charge you.

Did you try erasing the phone ? If it’s software that would fix the notice.

Dr. Habibi
Sep 24, 2009

So, uh, I’m kind of in a kafkaesque hell here, and I can’t figure out how to get out of it.

I switched from TMo to VZW, and got a new SIM card sent to me. And it has! For the most part.

Phone # ported, service signed up, all good. But I can’t log into My Verizon.

It keeps asking me for an account PIN (was never asked to set one up during my SIM card order). I got locked out of attempts, so the app tells me to call their 800 #, which… asks for my account PIN, first thing. I don’t have it, so it sends me a text to reset it, which brings me… back to the app. Phone line never even lets me sit on hold, it sends me the text and then auto disconnects.

I keep seeing scattered stories of this online, but nobody has a fix. Has this happened to anyone here? Seems like there’s got to be some secret handshake to get through the boss battle here. The idea of going to a location to hang out in a humid strip mall during a pandemic is not my idea of a great time.

When did I become an ancient

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Habibi posted:

So, uh, I’m kind of in a kafkaesque hell here, and I can’t figure out how to get out of it.

I switched from TMo to VZW, and got a new SIM card sent to me. And it has! For the most part.

Phone # ported, service signed up, all good. But I can’t log into My Verizon.

It keeps asking me for an account PIN (was never asked to set one up during my SIM card order). I got locked out of attempts, so the app tells me to call their 800 #, which… asks for my account PIN, first thing. I don’t have it, so it sends me a text to reset it, which brings me… back to the app. Phone line never even lets me sit on hold, it sends me the text and then auto disconnects.

I keep seeing scattered stories of this online, but nobody has a fix. Has this happened to anyone here? Seems like there’s got to be some secret handshake to get through the boss battle here. The idea of going to a location to hang out in a humid strip mall during a pandemic is not my idea of a great time.

When did I become an ancient

Your online account is locked, care just has to reset it.

Dial (800) 392-0717 , option 0 should get you to a live person. If you keep having an issue, let me know.

Call volume is all over the place with Covid and staffing issues, so I’ve heard the system has been harder to get through to care. Not sure why.

Funny enough, if you call a company store it’s pretty quick to forward you to sales so that’s a way to get through lol. But the above option should work.

Dr. Habibi
Sep 24, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

Your online account is locked, care just has to reset it.

Dial (800) 392-0717 , option 0 should get you to a live person. If you keep having an issue, let me know.

Call volume is all over the place with Covid and staffing issues, so I’ve heard the system has been harder to get through to care. Not sure why.

Funny enough, if you call a company store it’s pretty quick to forward you to sales so that’s a way to get through lol. But the above option should work.

This worked a treat, thank you!

Don’t know what the other number it was telling me to dial did, but it kept hanging up on me. This one actually patched me through.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Is there a known issue with the Pixel 5a on Verizon? I got mine, popped my sim over and everything is working except I cannot receive any texts. Do I need to pop in a store and get a new sim since this is a 5g phone?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

duck trucker posted:

Is there a known issue with the Pixel 5a on Verizon? I got mine, popped my sim over and everything is working except I cannot receive any texts. Do I need to pop in a store and get a new sim since this is a 5g phone?

It should work with a 4G phone, although a 5G sim is ideal. I would pop over to a store. You can set an appointment here.

Vzw.com/storelocator

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
I saw a post on Reddit about asking Verizon to provision it as a CDMA-less device. The poster seemed to believe that eSIM was a better option for 5a owners.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

waffle iron posted:

I saw a post on Reddit about asking Verizon to provision it as a CDMA-less device. The poster seemed to believe that eSIM was a better option for 5a owners.

So Duckmans advice was right and once I ran over on my lunch and got a new sim my text is working.

ESIM might be better but I'm in buttfuck Indiana until I move to the west coast later so there's no 5g nearby for me to really see a difference.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, while nerd wise I want eSIM to be a good option, I would not advise it unless you need the feature / need dual SIM.

Most people , as in even people that work in phones (both Verizon and other companies) just do not know how it works. And basically, it’s one of those things where almost no one does it, so the systems are not set to support it, there can still be tech issues because it’s uncommon so it’s hard to consistently fix tech issues, etc. just stick with a regular SIM and call it a day.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
I realize the answer is probably, 'Eh, who knows!?' but how likely is it that Verizon keeps this $700 device trade-in deal around after the new iPhones are released? We just moved and need to drop AT&T for Verizon, but I'd rather not buy an iPhone 12 right as it's about to be obsoleted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

maduin posted:

I realize the answer is probably, 'Eh, who knows!?' but how likely is it that Verizon keeps this $700 device trade-in deal around after the new iPhones are released? We just moved and need to drop AT&T for Verizon, but I'd rather not buy an iPhone 12 right as it's about to be obsoleted.

The answer is probably 0%, but I hope it's 100% since I am in the same boat. I'll still take whatever they'll give me for my iPhone X, though.