Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

1.5 hours to session end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

2 votes for the Consolidation of the Crown act

Directives:
NAY Keep Spymaster in Jerusalem Detecting Plots.
AYE Search for a new Court Physician.
AYE Nickname Gabri'el ad-Daula 'Joustmaster Flex'.
AYE Count Huang d'Quintavallis for Court Artist.
NAY Princess Sophie of Arabia for Keeper of the Swans.
NAY Establish "Quia Caritas Dei" as the Kingdom Motto.
NAY Censure Cour Members plotting secession or assassination.
NAY Count Gauthier for Master of the Hunt.
AYE Advance Construction Technology.
NAY Nickname Stephanie de Hauteville 'the Resolute'.
NAY Investigate the Oriental Christians.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

One aye vote for the Consolidation of the Crown Act

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

3 votes for the Consolidation of the Crown, 3 for REDSEA.

Directives:
NAY Keep Spymaster in Jerusalem Detecting Plots.
AYE Search for a new Court Physician.
AYE Nickname Gabri'el ad-Daula 'Joustmaster Flex'.
AYE Count Huang d'Quintavallis for Court Artist.
NAY Princess Sophie of Arabia for Keeper of the Swans.
NAY Establish "Quia Caritas Dei" as the Kingdom Motto.
NAY Censure Cour Members plotting secession or assassination.
NAY Count Gauthier for Master of the Hunt.
AYE Advance Construction Technology.
NAY Nickname Stephanie de Hauteville 'the Resolute'.
AYE Investigate the Oriental Christians.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
A session with zero polling drama

Yes to all directives
One vote for each of the laws that are leading

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

About 20 minutes left.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
My directive votes don’t seem to be on the list

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

Top Hats Monthly posted:

My directive votes don’t seem to be on the list

whoops, fixed

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Cure for cancer discovered!
Court physicians hate him!
:siren:Session of 1150 is closed!:siren:

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

Final Vote Count

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

:siren:Session of 1150 is Closed:siren:

The following items have passed into the Recess, without opposition:

No items have reached the 1/3rd opposition limit, or the 2/3rd opposition limit.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

The Recess of 1150

The Recess is comprised of the following Policies/Laws:

Also attached to the Recess are the following directives:

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

Updated map!

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Her Grace, Queen Aurengarde of Jerusalem, wishes to bestow the following honours:

• Princess Sophie for Keeper of the Swans
  • Prince Alderic for Master of the Hunt
  • Princess Pellegrina for Seneschal
  • Prince Severin for Cupbearer
  • Prince Raymond for High Alimoner
  • Prince Gabri'el for Master of the Horse
  • Count Gauthier for Court Tutor

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
Now that the session is over, I, Countess Stephanie, declare that I am leaving behind the Brotherhood that had failed to defend Jaffites from slaughter by the Usurper and that had disproportionately voted against my new moniker.

I now declare myself for Pro Regno et Civitate like my ancestor Prince Tancred had declared himself for the Pro Deo et Regno before me.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
It’s hilarious that the crusader kingdom of Jerusalem has zero interest in either a royal faction or a Church faction

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

i81icu812 posted:

It’s hilarious that the crusader kingdom of Jerusalem has zero interest in either a royal faction or a Church faction

That's how you know it's a realistic depiction of an 11th-12th century crusader state!

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

i81icu812 posted:

The latter was predictable since not many people will have interest in roleplaying catholic zealots, but i'm still surprised Parti du Roi died out. I thought that one would be popular.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Frionnel posted:

The latter was predictable since not many people will have interest in roleplaying catholic zealots, but i'm still surprised Parti du Roi died out. I thought that one would be popular.

If our kings had any kind of coherent agenda or reigned long enough to make a case for themselves then maybe. As it stands, we haven't had a king with particularly strong convictions or any capability to consolidate power since Godefroy.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
In terms of church factions, we do have an ecumenical one.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
Oh, right, voting. I knew I forgot to do something! :v:

That said, I do rejoin Pro Regno et Civitate. Hopefully I'll be able to stay here a while before my next character perishes.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Frionnel posted:

It probably doesn't help matters that the Latin Patriarch of Jerusalem, the most powerful and important Church leader in the Kingdom, completely does not exist in game.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Gig was up for PDR as soon as people leaned really into tolerance and spreading votes around

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

The State of the World by Count Huang, Age 4

My name is Huang. I am four-and-a-half years old. I like kitty cats and dumplings and my soldier’s cap and playing pretend with my friends in the Haute Cour. I dislike Prince Alderic of Edessa for marrying my mom. I live in a castle in a place called Jerusalem. It is very special.

Jerusalem has lots of different people. Some of these people are Catholic and they like the Pope. I am a Catholic. I have never met the Pope but my mom tells me that he wears a big crown and is named Nicolas, like the saint. My mom reads lots of books so she would know. Here is a picture of the Pope bringing me presents.

There are other people in Jerusalem called Jaffites. They call them Jaffites because they are from a place called Jaffa. I have never been to Jaffa but it is by the sea and has lots of pretty buildings.

The Jaffites believe in beasts and angels and crowns and magic. Sometimes they get really mad and hurt people. I don’t like when they hurt people! I try to be brave and tell them to quit it but it’s hard and sometimes they don’t listen.

Lots of other people live in Jerusalem too. There’s my friend Gabr’iel who is called a Shia. I like Gabr’iel a lot and sometimes he lets me play with his cat. Then there’s Kal-on-y-mos. He is very smart and knows a bunch about religion and makes very good food. He says he is Jewish. These are only a couple of the people but there are many, many more.

I hope I can meet all of them one day! Here is me meeting some people at a big feast!

The one person I haven’t gotten to meet yet is my dad. My dad left before I was born. My mom says he was a knight from a place called Cathay. Cathay is ruled by the Sun of Heaven. Cathay must be very important to be ruled by the Sun.

I wave to the Sun every day when I wake up. I hope the Sun can see me and that he tells my dad that I love him and I miss him and I want to be just like him when I grow up.

Even though I sometimes feel sad and scared, I have to be brave every day. There are people counting on me and I never want to let them down. I want them to be safe so they can enjoy dumplings and kitty cats and playing pretend, just like me.

Okay! I am going to show this story to my friends now. I hope they like it! Bye!

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

The Recess of 1150

* Construct hospitals in Jerusalem, Cairo and Damascus

* Declare a holy war for the Duchy of Medina, distribute subsequent titles according to the Ligue Des Nombreuses Act, and call a triumph if victorious

* Raid enemies in Greater Outremer, arrange an appropriate coronation for the Queen, improve relations between the Queen and her vassals

* Crown Election Reform Law of 1150 is passed, forbidding a sitting king/queen/emperor/empress from casting a vote for their successor

* Advance construction technology

* Gabri'el ad'Daula shall heretofore be known by the nickname "Joustmaster Flex"

* Stephanie de Hauteville shall heretofore be known by the nickname "the Resolute"

* Investigate the Oriental Christians living in the Prester Johanne's Land

Chapter 13 – Outside Mecca – 1150 to 1155

The past five years had been sorrowful and exhilarating, infuriating and intoxicating. My father was murdered in broad daylight, and I could only watch as his assassins escaped punishment. My craven husband inherited the throne, and spent his days playing at soldiering and intrigue. My lover took any excuse to visit, showering me with poems and ballads as we hopelessly concealed our illicit affair.

But no longer. My husband was dead now, and thanks to careful maneuvering and a few donations here and there, I – Aurengarde de Blois – was elected to the Kingdom of Jerusalem.

And just a few weeks after being proclaimed Queen of Jerusalem, I gave birth to a pink, wrinkly baby somewhere in Alexandria.

Officially, the boy was fathered by Alberto, my late husband… but nobody was fool enough to really believe that. They all knew I hated that craven drunk; no, my heart lay with the sweettalking Dimitri, the true father of little Humbert.

And it showed, because Humbert was a ferocious little man, even in the belly. He would grow to be a warrior, just like his father.

In fact, it was at Dimitri’s suggestion that I formally proclaimed Humbert my legitimate heir a few days after his birth, placing him in line to inherit Alexandria after my death.

That met with some opposition at court, though, with the Grandmaster of the Knights Hospitaller insisting that this was all a scheme to seize power by Prince Dimitri, but the old celibate was probably just jealous.

The pregnancy had been long and difficult, and I wanted nothing more than to stroll through my gardens and enjoy a few quiet moments with Dimitri… but as my lover reminded me, I was a Queen now, and not just in name.

So preparations were made to travel to Jerusalem, capital of the Kingdom, where the Haute Cour was gathered for their decennial session. Their first order of business was granting honours to Prince Gabriel – for his exceptional performance in the recent tourney – and Countess Stephanie – for her steadfast service to the assembly.

Next, to combat the recent outbreak of consumption and camp fever throughout the Kingdom, funds were set aside for the construction of hospitals in Jerusalem, Damascus and Cairo.

Severin of Asyut took to the stands next. Eager for adventure, he called for a great undertaking to the unknown east, to the legendary kingdom of Prester John… if the place even exists.

But his words quickly captured the imagination of the senate, and after offering to personally lead the expedition, they were finally swayed into supporting him. The Expedition to the East would depart before year’s end.

The last issue brought before the Haute Cour was also the most important. War.

To the south, the Saracens of Arabia had fractured into tribal infighting after a woman seized power and declared herself Emira of Hejaz. Impressive… and with that, for the first time since the foundation of the Kingdom, we had an opportunity to strike at the very heart and soul of Islamdom – Mecca.

The nobility and merchants were adamant, it was time for war.

I would be accompanying my army on the campaign, of course. Both my husband and father had been warriors, and I would be the same, especially since this would be the most ambitious venture in living memory. But first, there was one more matter to take care of…

I was formally crowned Queen of Jerusalem in a small, private ceremony on Temple Mount, with only a few vassals in attendance and the sounds of clanging metal and screaming officers floating through the air.

And as thousands of levies and knights were gathering in Jerusalem, word reached us that Princess Sophie had launched an invasion of Arabia Petrae, ostensibly to secure routes and supply lines.

Not that it mattered much. As the summer heat of 1152 dwindled, a considerable force of 6000 levies and 2000 knights were marching southward at a brisk pace, only to be caught off-guard at Ma’an – firmly within Princess Sophie’s domains.

An advantage in numbers proved enough to seize victory, fortunately, as the Saracens were forced to retreat with heavy casualties.

And with me at their head, the army proceeded into Hejaz slowly and methodically, meeting resistance everywhere we marched. Khaybar was quickly seized after an assault in late 1152, but the sieges of Medina and Jeddah would stretch across a year apiece, only surrendering after several attempts at relief were crushed.

As another blistering summer approached, news reached us from the north, where Princess Sophie had finally defeated the Saracens and seized the rest of Arabia Petrae, finally securing supply routes and allowing reinforcements to pour south.

As for us, battle and attrition and disease had taken their toll, but at long last, we pushed on to the holiest city in Islam – Mecca. Of course, it wasn’t to be undefended, and we found a formidable force of 5000 Saracens waiting to meet us.

It was there, just outside Mecca, that the two armies crashed into one another, ferocious and terrifying. The enemy were ready to die to a man, and we were slowly being pushed back when, perched atop my horse, I saw her… I saw, just a few feet away from me, the Emira of Hejaz herself. I didn’t even think about it – my heels dug into my horse and I went racing towards her, wildly swinging my blade…

And then, nothing.

---

As the Queen was dragged from the battlefield, Prince Dimitri took charge and stormed into enemy ranks, surrounded by knights. The enemy formation shattered, with thousands dropping their weapons and fleeing en masse, escaping behind the walls of Mecca.

They would find no refuge there, however. Whilst physicians tended to the Queen, Prince Dimitri ordered on assault on the demoralised defenders of Mecca, forcing a crack that quickly became a breach, and before nightfall… the city had fallen.

Mecca had fallen.

The Emira, having survived the fighting outside Mecca, escaped into Yemen… knowing full well that, for the injury she dealt Aurengarde, Dimitri wouldn’t take her alive.

For their part in the conquest of Mecca (and to act as a barrier to the inevitable Muslim retaliation), Prince Dimitri awarded the province of Asir to the Order of the Knights Hospitaller.

By decree of the Haute Cour, however, the rest of the Hejaz – including the holy cities of Mecca and Medina – were returned to Muslim rulership in the form of the Red Sea Republic, a newfound merchant republic tasked with expanding Jerusalemite trade and shipping to the east.

Once garrisons were installed and the situation had stabilised, Prince Dimitri began the long march back to Jerusalem… The army wasn’t dissolved, however, not yet. Instead, Dimitri sent word ahead to prepare for a triumphal entrance into Jerusalem, in celebration of his historic victory over the Saracens.

And with the Queen incapacitated, there was nobody to stop him from getting just that, as an immense parade of crowds and festivities greeted Prince Dimitri in Jerusalem.

It was amid these celebrations that Dimitri, in front of dozens of nobles and thousands of commoners, proclaimed himself Regent of the Realm… insisting, of course, that it was the Queen’s last command.

As the proclamation plunged the capital into chaos, rumour from the distant east trickles into Jerusalem, where a fleet of Christians are said to be waging a war against Indians…

hashashash fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Oct 1, 2020

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Casualties:

- Raymond II, Prince of Tripoli, succeeded by Princess Almodis.
- Hugues II, Prince of Faiyum, succeeded by Prince Mathieu.
- Robert, Count of Ikhmim, succeeded by Countess Julienne.
- Diogo, Count of Az-Zarqa, succeeded by Count Diogo II.
- Sieciech Mersir, Patrician of the Nile Republic, succeeded by Patrician Sieciech.
- Msciwoj Zahum, Patrician of the Nile Republic, succeeded by Patrician Farag.

Please declare your status as an independent or faction member, otherwise your new characters will be considered independent in the Haute Cour.

Politics:

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
A young boy, draped in the colors of House Mersir and promoting a 2 for one sale on cursed daggers, approaches the podium

House Mersir will keep its faith with Mercator Dei

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

I will remain with EP-BOJ, but no longer as party leader.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
Er, I'm pretty sure I've been in charge of house Zahum since the last session of the Cour, but I suppose I'll re-declare for Mercator Dei just in case one of the scribes somewhere had a bit too much to drink.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Okay, so looking at the waiting list, Obliterati is next in line. Lucky for you, you can choose between two positions -

- The Principality of Faiyum has just become available, thanks to the untimely deaths of Hugues and Raymond

- The Red Sea Republic can also be claimed, with Obliterati and Captain Mediocre having first dibs on the position of Doge. I can change the character names and dynasties, but according to the policy, religions have to remain as they are

- After that, the four Patricians of the Red Sea Republic are available on a first-come first-serve basis

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Count Diogo Dias of Az-Zarqa will stay as an Independent until he is old enough to decide for himself.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
I'll take the Principality of Faiyum.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

And Captain Mediocre passed for now, so the Doge and Four Patricians are available on first-come first-serve.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Also, no clue how, but the current heir to Caspian Steppe is Countess Stephanie's husband?

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Josselin will follow his father's footsteps and join the Ecumenism, Plunder, Brotherhood, Order and Joy

Gigagar
Nov 6, 2013

A bit of a fruit.
I will take Doge of the Red Sea Republic

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

Faction Tally leading to the 1155 Session

Pro Regno et Civitate (Internal Realm Cohesion & Development)

Leader: Prince-Regent Dimitri (Mirdini)
Members: Maël Cornouaille (Zikan), Prince Fursu (sheep-dodger), Prince Alderic (Erwin the German), Captain Rauf (Kangxi), Bleddyn Cynwrig (megane), Princess Pellegrina (Jossar), Queen Aurengarde (Freudian), Patrician Nadbor (MaxieSatan), Grandmaster Aurelio (Top Hats Monthly), Countess Stephanie (Snipee), Count Bohemond (Luhood)
# of members/votes: 12 members, 43 votes

Society for Heavenly Harmony (China-flavored Tolerance)

Leader: Prince "Joustmaster Flex" Gabri'el (Angstrom Gothington)
Members: Vincenç de Montségur (Vinny Possum), Binyamin Nasrallah (Shogeton), Prince Severin (Pacho), Count Vakhtank (Flesnolk), Princess Edda (clayren), Patrician Nadbil (Rody One Half), Count Huang (QuoProQuid), Count Kalonymos (Xelkelvos)
# of members/votes: 9 members, 25 votes

Mercator Dei (Economy, Merchantry)

Leader: Doge Prendota (Ralepozozaxe)
Members: Count Foulques (Slaan), Count Baldwin (Technowolf), Patrician Farag (Grizzwold), Patrician Sieciech (Thordain), Wali-Emir Hashmaddin (Gigagar), Patrician Sharaf (WilliamAnderson)
# of members/votes: 7 members, 23 votes

Ecumenism, Plunder, Brotherhood, Order and Joy (Jaffite Expansionism)

Leader: Princess Sophie (Yavuz) Deputy: Count Geoffroy (AJ_Impy)
Members: Owain Gwynllwyg (Captain Mediocre), Bogdan Ryba (fish and chips and dip), Jovani Giaguaro (JT Jag), Baron Frederic (TheFlyingLlama), Princess Almodis (Lord Cyrahzax), Count Josselin (HiHoChiRho),
# of members/votes: 8 members, 21 votes

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Independents

Members: Count Guy (CapFalcon), Niccolo Serra (rudecyrus), Javier de Bordeaux (SirPhoebus), Count Fakhr (habeasdorkus), Baroness Sigerda (Pakled), Countess Julienne (Soup du Jour), Count Gauthier (i81icu812), Countess Gerberge (Flavius Aetass), Prince Mathieu (Obliterati), Count Diogo Dias (Frionnel), Patrician Abdul-Razzaq (mcclay)
# of members/votes: 11 members, 29 votes

Mirdini fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Feb 10, 2020

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
Any of the new merchants, feel free to come to the Mercators for fresh free dumplings and plentiful drink (non-acloholic of course).

Angstrom Gothington
Feb 19, 2007

Raise your arms in the big black sky, raise your arms the highest you can, so the whole universe will glow.
Alternately, as you are all minority religions, SHH has your back!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

I encourage all subjects of Jerusalem to follow their hearts when it comes to faction support - each has their own noble purpose in our realm!

That being said, if you want to be part of the Winning Team while it's riding high, Pro Regno et Civitate will not turn down any interested prospective members! Those hospitals are going to need some upgrading, after all!