Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I’m usually in a drunken weed smoked haze when watching this show, but was it revealed that there were two big ball fAIs before this episode? I was like, how the gently caress did they move that massive thing out of the lobby of that French guy’s building, but then they started referring to it as Solomon so I figured it’s just a second ball, but is it able to communicate with its “brother” or is it just one central AI and the other big ball in the building lobby just a remote login station? If they are two separate AI entities, are they on the same page, or is one working against the other?

I’m sure none of this matters and the finale will be 50 minutes of bad sword play between Maeve and Delores, only to realize we’ve been in GTAWorld the whole time and Jesse Pinkman got PTSD from a really intense video game session.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It was stated in previous episodes that there were earlier attempts before robohome.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Next season will introduce David in a Westworld/Prometheus crossover.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

They have made it so there are basically no stakes to the robot fights which is a problem, but I will say, I like Maeve's habit of dying. When Musashi-Delores killed her I laughed and said, "haha oh right, that's her thing. Her storyline always moves forward by her dying. That's a really fun little storytelling thing that they do."

But when it's everyone.....eh.

Sudden Loud Noise fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Apr 28, 2020

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

They have made it so there are basically no stakes to the robot fights which is a problem, but I will say, I like Maeve's habit of dying. When Musashi-Delores killed her I laughed and said, "haha oh right, that's her thing. Her storyline always moves forward by her dying. That's a really fun little storytelling thing that they do."
Yeah when she finds the bullet and realizes she was dying over and over it was a genuine character moment but once she figured it out she just keeps constantly dying anyway so this knowledge didn’t give her any additional agency other than making her care even less.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
You'd think being copies of the person with the plan they'd be aware of the plan but whoops nope, you betrayed yourself.

Also, we 100% know that Serac has a back up Hector because he was in WarWorld sim before they retrieved his pearl.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Not the Hector that knew Maeve, though. She brings him in once she sees the sphere is connected while printing the body.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

You'd think being copies of the person with the plan they'd be aware of the plan but whoops nope, you betrayed yourself.

Also, we 100% know that Serac has a back up Hector because he was in WarWorld sim before they retrieved his pearl.

Real Dolores is the master in their SPI network. She controls who gets what info.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Yeah, so he's unawakened Hector 1.2 who missed, what, maybe a week's worth of woke time from the end of season 1 and season 2?

He gets clued in in 1x11, gets shot in 1x12. He's sitting there bleeding out when Maeve finds him at the Mesa and takes him to Shogun world and up to the gate where ???

It's not so much murder as it is theft of some memories that , tbh, would probably suck to carry.

Cojawfee posted:

Real Dolores is the master in their SPI network. She controls who gets what info.

Scotsloris knew he was cannon fodder and was cool with it. If Charmandernathy was selectively lobotomized that seems like a dumb loose end when you can implant immutable directives.

(Yes this presumes that the rules exist beyond what is necessary for the plot at any given moment which is not really this show's thing.)

Edit: Haha just realized she opted for 5 disposable clones over her father.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Apr 28, 2020

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Anything that occured 2 episodes ago essentially didn't happen. Maybe this whole mess is an experiment in bringing back episodic television. :350:
If none of the pieces fit together... you can show them in any order

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
So there's Hale, Bernard, Scottish guy, and Yakuza guy, are we still waiting on what happened to with the last pearl or am I not remembering?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Gonna be something incredibly dumb

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Bikelores, RIP

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Gunlores

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Gunlores or Dronlores?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

So I've had a theory for a while that the next season is going to be a post-apocalyptic Western, with robots and crazy sci-fi things running around. I think that'd be a lot of fun. So I liked this last episode because everything seemed to be building towards a post-apocalyptic season 4 like i wanted.

Then I took a step back and realized nothing made sense in this episode nor was it in any way satisfying unless you're building towards post-apocalyptic Western adventures.

So I'm pretty sure that's what they're doing. And that seems like schlocky fun, so there's that.

But for real, I'm totally on board with where this appears to be going. A season or two of crazy Western sci fi- Man in Black riding around the actual West hunting robots, burned man woman Hale riding around with bandages over her face, out for revenge. Sure, let's put Bernard or Caleb or someone in there trying to build a better world out of the chaos, with just anarchist principles, and a looming Sirac aiming to close the frontier and bring back order and capitalism. That sounds like a lot of fun!

Heck, let's go full Battle Angel Alita and then they can go into space season 5 and there will be a tournament arc or some poo poo.

The worst thing about Season 2 is that it didn't move on. It was stuck in the park and stuck in the concept of mystery boxes and was just kind of pointless. All the twists from season 1 still have relevance and are now basic parts of the setting. The twists from season 2, I can't even remember and don't feel I need to. For all its faults, I appreciate that season 3 is basically high-budget Person of Interest, even if it's almost as incoherent as season 2 when you get down to the details.

Keep that poo poo up. Let's shift genres entirely every season. As long as next season is a post-apocalyptic Western.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
gently caress, I’ll take a post apoc western.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

If this is what needs to happen to get New Vegas on the big screen, so be it.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I'm a fan of the Dolores's diverging, and I buy that Charloris would become too attached/involved with her family, it's like she's reverting to the sweet farmgirl programming as a way of dealing with intense body dysphoria (something you almost never see in bodyswap narratives). I'd like to see more of this kind of character work tbh.

She's absolutely going to nuke the world now though.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I would love to see more of the bitter, deep-fried Halores, but I am afraid HBO can't be bother to do 3 hour deep-fried make up and just instant hand wave her back to dolled up Dolores. Look magic 3d printer and magic WD portable harddrive, they can bring any past actors back. It's science.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I'm a fan of the Dolores's diverging, and I buy that Charloris would become too attached/involved with her family, it's like she's reverting to the sweet farmgirl programming as a way of dealing with intense body dysphoria (something you almost never see in bodyswap narratives). I'd like to see more of this kind of character work tbh.

She's absolutely going to nuke the world now though.

I'm ok with her diverging, I'm not ok with her instantly teaming up with the people who killed her family.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

socialsecurity posted:

I'm ok with her diverging, I'm not ok with her instantly teaming up with the people who killed her family.

Why do people keep saying this? It reads as more of "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" type deal. I have no doubt she wants to kill Serac too, it's just that she's even more pissed at Dolores.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

oh but seriously I posted:

Anything that occured 2 episodes ago essentially didn't happen. Maybe this whole mess is an experiment in bringing back episodic television. :350:
If none of the pieces fit together... you can show them in any order

When Maeve shows up, I couldnt help noticing how it was presented as a great character re-introduction. It felt like if you had barely seen her
this season you'd go "OH poo poo!".

Also, Westworld would be way better if it was all the way episodic.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Yannick_B posted:

When Maeve shows up, I couldnt help noticing how it was presented as a great character re-introduction. It felt like if you had barely seen her
this season you'd go "OH poo poo!".

Also, Westworld would be way better if it was all the way episodic.

Yeah, I kinda like that. If we hadn’t seen Maeve at all in ssn3 and then she just shows up to fight DLRS with a katana it would have been pretty wild. Then of course we’d get a whole episode of Maeve backstory though.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
At this point it’s pretty clear that Caleb was, somehow, part of Chloroformess’ plan from even before he saw her, that or their paths just so happen to cross, leading him to his brainwash chamber.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Why do people keep saying this? It reads as more of "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" type deal. I have no doubt she wants to kill Serac too, it's just that she's even more pissed at Dolores.

Same. I'm wondering if I missed something, which could be the case since the show now actively wants us to not pay attention.

I thought Halebot meant she'd burn down the world her own way instead of following vanilla Dolores.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I think what Serak offered Maeve is to keep Robo society alive in VR. He would transfer all the hosts to a server farm and let their world run in isolation for however long they wanted. This is acceptable to him because then he has total control over them and they do no longer pose a threat to society and his plans for it.

This is obviously a less than ideal solution for the hosts because their entire existence is then at the hands of Serak/humanity surviving and keeping the servers running, but it's also a path that avoids war with the humans/collapse of society and all the suffering and misery it would create.

Dual Shock on the other hands wants true safety, autarky and access to the real physical world. But that path leads to an unavoidable conflict with humans and risks total extinction of hosts. It's the old survive as a collaborator/slave vs. die in a futile attempt at resistance trope.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I don't even remember why she's angry at Dolores.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

socialsecurity posted:

Her family dying was such a lazy creative decision to give some character motivation but not have to write scenes with characters.

I offer a world where she successfully hides her family, continues diverging into her own character that loves her family, who then needs to fight Dolores because revolution will hurt the people she cares about.

Instead, she wants revenge, a shorthand motivation that leaves her with no interest in the world other than fighting Dolores.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Does Halores know for sure her human family were killed by Dolores or she was just guessing?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

"The enemy of my enemy is my friend" is loving stupid if the enemy of your enemy just killed the people you cared about the most. It's a lazy excuse to paper over nonsensical character development, not some bullet proof defense.

Now, if Dale was helping Maeve specifically, that I could buy. Make it clear that Dale has her own plan she believes she can manipulate Maeve into carrying out, and that she isn't really helping Serac, and the story makes a lot more sense.

ghostwritingduck posted:

Her family dying was such a lazy creative decision to give some character motivation but not have to write scenes with characters.

I offer a world where she successfully hides her family, continues diverging into her own character that loves her family, who then needs to fight Dolores because revolution will hurt the people she cares about.

Instead, she wants revenge, a shorthand motivation that leaves her with no interest in the world other than fighting Dolores.
I think their deaths can still work, as long as it doesn't cause her to devolve into a simple emotionally driven being. Dolores herself has probably considered a wide variety of end goals, and approaches to how to achieve them, before she split her personality. Maybe her conviction that this plan is the right one begins to unravel, with Dale deciding to go with one Dolores originally rejected, and for that plan to succeed she needs to manipulate every player from behind the scenes. She might start with helping out Maeve because she needs to undermine Dolores to create enough room for herself to put her plan into motion, but that doesn't have to mean that she's gonna stick with the "gently caress Dolores" plan - the moment the balance of power shifts, when Dolores is on the backfoot and not an immediate threat, she could pivot right around to using someone like William or Bernard to undermine Serac.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

A Buttery Pastry posted:

"The enemy of my enemy is my friend" is loving stupid if the enemy of your enemy just killed the people you cared about the most. It's a lazy excuse to paper over nonsensical character development, not some bullet proof defense.

I'm glad we agree

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

stephenthinkpad posted:

Does Halores know for sure her human family were killed by Dolores or she was just guessing?

Well that wasn't revealed in the show so who knows. It seemed like it was Serac in the episode it happened in but this show is incredibly inconsistent this season, in a different way to how it was in Season 2. The Charlotte scene in general was loving weird, just a very dark shot of her talking down a phone and a one liner about what she's doing. That'll probably be all we get for her for the remainder of this season as well.

Whoever said this was like reading a wikipedia summary of episodes was somewhat accurate, I'd say it feels like there's straight up missing episodes. It's like Cowboy Bebop where you feel like you're dipping in and out of the characters lives and missing some stuff, except in that show it was part of the freewheeling attitude, there wasn't an overarching storyline in most of the episodes and you never felt like you were missing important poo poo whereas this feels like we're missing poo poo all the time.

Some of it is just extremely silly though. Like Caleb and Dolores got on a plane a couple episodes ago, he'd just seen she was a robot and it seemed like they would have some stuff to discuss. The next time we see them, they're on horseback riding out to this blacksite in the middle of nowhere and Caleb is just now asking her what's up. I get they wanted to have a cool backdrop for the exposition but it's still very dumb.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Apr 29, 2020

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Now, if Dale was helping Maeve specifically, that I could buy. Make it clear that Dale has her own plan she believes she can manipulate Maeve into carrying out, and that she isn't really helping Serac, and the story makes a lot more sense.

I think their deaths can still work, as long as it doesn't cause her to devolve into a simple emotionally driven being. Dolores herself has probably considered a wide variety of end goals, and approaches to how to achieve them, before she split her personality. Maybe her conviction that this plan is the right one begins to unravel, with Dale deciding to go with one Dolores originally rejected, and for that plan to succeed she needs to manipulate every player from behind the scenes. She might start with helping out Maeve because she needs to undermine Dolores to create enough room for herself to put her plan into motion, but that doesn't have to mean that she's gonna stick with the "gently caress Dolores" plan - the moment the balance of power shifts, when Dolores is on the backfoot and not an immediate threat, she could pivot right around to using someone like William or Bernard to undermine Serac.

The problem is Dale now has nothing to lose and no one to have a non confrontational conversation with.

I think that’s why this season is so rough. None of the main characters have anyone that matters to them. If no one in the show cares about any of these characters, why should we?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I can't wait until they reveal that the phone call as actually made by a disembodied Hale head created by Serac.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I don't get this Dale helping Maeve thing, with what Serac loving Dale over and Maeve being an agent for Serac. Is this some Chewbacca reasoning?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

ghostwritingduck posted:

The problem is Dale now has nothing to lose and no one to have a non confrontational conversation with.

I think that’s why this season is so rough. None of the main characters have anyone that matters to them. If no one in the show cares about any of these characters, why should we?
That's a fair point, and a pretty astute observation. Actually, the whole "Your real ex-wife was replaced by an evil doppelganger who's a much better mom to your son than the real one" thing could've presented a pretty interesting dilemma if the truth ever came to light. Wanting to keep her real identity a secret from her family while protecting them would add some vulnerability to Dale that wasn't a simple binary of her family being dead or alive, which would help get around the issue of invulnerable terminators terminating all over the place. It'd also present an interesting parallel to William, who decided his real daughter was a fake and killed her for it - while Dale's ex might accept her despite knowing she's not the real Hale. Actually, given that Dolores at her core probably ain't a big fan of keeping the truth from people, I think Dale might eventually have revealed her identity on her own, especially if it was the only way to keep her son safe.

Thinking this through, I wonder how you could give other characters similar levels of attachment. I mean, it's fine if William doesn't have any because his thing is literally ruining everything, but it kinda seems like Caleb should be forming an emotional connection with Dolores. Not even like a romantic one, though perhaps you could still do some fun parallels to the Dolores-William relationship, but some sort of real camaraderie between two people working together towards a common cause. That would require them to actually spell out what Dolores's end goal is though - and perhaps also make the release of the Incite data the big thing this season, which sets up the next season as one where the rules have really changed. All the extra time would be filled with conversations and emotional moments, not anemic action moments.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

ghostwritingduck posted:

I was happy with Paul Aaron’s character just being a working class human trying to get by. Then they ruined it by giving him a confusing nonsense backstory.

The other characters have all had their stories told and aren’t interesting anymore because the writers are bad.

At this point I’m only watching it because of the actors that are propping the show up. Without the A list actors this show would be unwatchable with the exception of 1 or 2 good episodes.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

ghostwritingduck posted:

Anyone or anything.

If the show were a representation of something that really happened, the only original character in it would be Dolores. There's really no reason for anyone else involved to be in it in any capacity.

I understand why a successful television show would not want to make that move, but everything would make way more sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
It was probably a bad idea to end S2 with Dolores leaving "her" world and entering the real one, which is totally alien to her, and then beginning this one with her already being caught up with everything and having plans about things the audience doesn't even understand.