Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

If your opponent Normal or Special Summoned 5 or more monsters this turn: You can Tribute as many face-up monsters on the field as possible, and if you do, Special Summon Nibiru, the Primal Being from your hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

People die when they are killed.

... how much further can we drag this out?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

FoolyCharged posted:

I would assume so. You'd probably have to use two weapons and make the fire on the move one the secondary. I dunno how that would work with attack moves and stuff though.

Apropos nothing, I'd assume like Wargame/WARNO: If you give the equivalent of an attack move command, they'll stop and fire once they're in range. If you give a move order, however, they'll keep moving while firing away (usually at an accuracy penalty unless you've got some killer gun stabilizers/are an airplane)

Eugen games have specific toggles for rules of engagement and weapon activation though. So you can say 'don't fire unless fired upon' or turn off a weapon to keep them from wasting ammo on inaccurate shots. And plenty of weapons like ATGMs can't be fired on the move for various reasons.

tl;dr: the AI treats stopping and firing as the priority option

Kith posted:

Yes, rather easily. The Galaxy Editor is powerful enough to do literally anything. And I do mean "literally anything" - there are multiple FPSes and Platformers and Kart games and pretty much everything you can imagine floating around the Arcade.

:aaa: I feel like I missed out quitting when I did and not giving non-ladder multiplayer modes/maps a try.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I remember playing a round of DOTA in the SC2 arcade where someone started raging when their team wasn’t overwhelmingly winning.

…In a mode that didn’t have any sort of MMR, so the stakes could not have been any lower.

Numbus26
Jun 23, 2023
I believe during the first footage we saw of Starcraft 2, the Diamondback(which was called the Viper or something) had an actual purpose that ties into a half-removed feature—turn time. They explicitly showcased it being able to take down huge units with slow turn times before they could fire by running circles around them, but that's kind of… not actually very fun to play with, so it mostly ended up being scrapped(minus the poor firebat) as SC2's development continued.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

GunnerJ posted:

Seems like there's a really "fun" mod possibility out there: Every Weapon Can Fire While Moving

Every Unit Can Only Fire When Moving

Pieces of Peace
Jul 8, 2006
Hazardous in small doses.

VostokProgram posted:

Every Unit Can Only Fire When Moving

Ah, the Sharkcraft mod.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Warmachine posted:

:aaa: I feel like I missed out quitting when I did and not giving non-ladder multiplayer modes/maps a try.

I would never blame anyone for previously quitting SC2 without trying the Arcade, especially early in the life cycle, from the outset it was loving rough. Blizzard released it too early and well, with Blizzard's whole 'we own everything' clause it was never going to be quite as popular as old WC3 maps. There's a teeming community now with plenty of old WC3 map equivalents and a bunch of gamemodes that show up, and with a bunch of new custom campaign stuff and SC2 being free it's arguably a diamond in the rough or throwback to a much earlier time in gaming, but you have to interact with :blizz: general chat and well... :blizz: in general.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Torchlighter posted:

I would never blame anyone for previously quitting SC2 without trying the Arcade, especially early in the life cycle, from the outset it was loving rough. Blizzard released it too early and well, with Blizzard's whole 'we own everything' clause it was never going to be quite as popular as old WC3 maps. There's a teeming community now with plenty of old WC3 map equivalents and a bunch of gamemodes that show up, and with a bunch of new custom campaign stuff and SC2 being free it's arguably a diamond in the rough or throwback to a much earlier time in gaming, but you have to interact with :blizz: general chat and well... :blizz: in general.

Blizz chat was half the reason I quit again. Its kind of obtuse to find the block/mute button for an individual, and there were a lot of annoying people

bladededge
Sep 17, 2017

im sorry every one. the throne of heroes ran out of new heroic spirits so the grail had to summon existing ones in swimsuits instead
Warcraft III custom maps were a golden era, gone too soon, never to be repeated.
I'm happy that at least I was there.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

They're also a treasure trove of untapped genres. I can think of at least six Custom Maps off of the top of my head that don't have non-Blizzard equivalents.

Of course, it's much more difficult to escape Blizzard's clutches these days, but still.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Kith posted:

They're also a treasure trove of untapped genres. I can think of at least six Custom Maps off of the top of my head that don't have non-Blizzard equivalents.

Like what?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Custom Hero Line Wars, LOAP, Any TD With PvP, just about any Open RPG, and a few others that I'm forgetting the name of.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I'm also sad it was DOTA that managed to escape the platform rather than any of the dozen more interesting maps that applied some sort of twist to the formula.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

To be fair, a lot of the "twist" AoS maps were unbalanced as hell and easy to snowball or cheese. DotA became as popular as it was because it took the best developed designs from the other AoSes and put them in one map with none of the bullshit native to their home turf, and the AoS maps that didn't have "twists" were pretty quickly forgotten because they tended to have pretty boring designs on top of that. For example, Tides of Blood had normal-rear end Warcraft 3 Ladder heroes for a while.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Kith posted:

Custom Hero Line Wars, LOAP, Any TD With PvP, just about any Open RPG, and a few others that I'm forgetting the name of.

What kind of TD with PvP? Because Legion TD made it out and has been developed into a standalone on Steam. That has PvP in it no?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
I actually think Tides of Blood was the one I had in mind for a twist I enjoyed. :v: I liked that you needed to balance yourself between improving your hero and keeping your faction's creeps rolling because they were your only real source of siege damage for taking down enemy base/defense buildings.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Evil Kit posted:

What kind of TD with PvP? Because Legion TD made it out and has been developed into a standalone on Steam. That has PvP in it no?

I haven't heard of Legion TD, but I was thinking about Line Wars TD where the gribblies you were TDing against were sent by other players.

PurpleXVI posted:

I actually think Tides of Blood was the one I had in mind for a twist I enjoyed. :v: I liked that you needed to balance yourself between improving your hero and keeping your faction's creeps rolling because they were your only real source of siege damage for taking down enemy base/defense buildings.

ToB eventually found its feet but for a hot minute its primary claim to fame was that it had nice terrain and figured out custom textures.

And hey, if you're in the market for a MOBA that has creep-driven siege, let me tell you about Blizzard's hot MOBA Heroes Of The Storm!!! :pseudo:

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Kith posted:

I haven't heard of Legion TD, but I was thinking about Line Wars TD where the gribblies you were TDing against were sent by other players.

I know which ones you're talking about and Legion let's you do that p sure, though I maybe be conflating a particular mode as I know there's also a cooperative mode. Might be misremembering entirely.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Kith posted:

ToB eventually found its feet but for a hot minute its primary claim to fame was that it had nice terrain and figured out custom textures.

And hey, if you're in the market for a MOBA that has creep-driven siege, let me tell you about Blizzard's hot MOBA Heroes Of The Storm!!! :pseudo:

Ok. I'll say it.

I miss HotS.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Legion TD has you contributing... spice to the pre-ordained waves. So you decide that this game the 10th wave boss is getting a bunch of snails to draw fire. Or the mini bosses are getting a damage reduction aura buddy. While also building your own defences, with your income increasing based on whether you added basic units or fancier ones to the enemy waves. It makes more sense playing it than explaining it.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Warmachine posted:

Ok. I'll say it.

I miss HotS.

I really wish they'd called it something with a different acronym because I am perpetually confusing it with the SC2 Zerg campaign name, though.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

All HOTS did for me was convince me once and for all that MOBAs just aren’t ever gonna be my thing, considering it was touted as one of the most beginner friendly games of the genre.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I liked Eve of the Apocalypse: Twilight for being a lot grander in scope than most AoS maps with multiple locations to play at, alternate victory conditions and letting players add more creeps to the waves.

Not to be confused with the regular Eve of the Apocalypse without the ": Twilight" behind it, that's a wave defense map from the same author.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Asehujiko posted:

I liked Eve of the Apocalypse: Twilight for being a lot grander in scope than most AoS maps with multiple locations to play at, alternate victory conditions and letting players add more creeps to the waves.

Not to be confused with the regular Eve of the Apocalypse without the ": Twilight" behind it, that's a wave defense map from the same author.

Is Eve of the Apocalypse the one that took like five minutes to load because it was quadruple-sized and where the calculations for the power scaling involved quadratic equations? I only played that one a couple of times but I was always fascinated by it.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Warmachine posted:

Ok. I'll say it.

I miss HotS.

It literally just got an update like this week! Nothing like... bitg, but it technically still exists!

All of my caveats related to SC2 custom maps still apply, I assume.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
Some of the most well-designed American Civil War games I've played were Brood War custom maps :v:

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

Is Eve of the Apocalypse the one that took like five minutes to load because it was quadruple-sized and where the calculations for the power scaling involved quadratic equations? I only played that one a couple of times but I was always fascinated by it.
I personally never had issues with the loading times but yes that's the one. Mostly played it against the (surprisingly competent for a WC3 custom map!) AI though because of a 1500-2000 ms ping I had at my parent's house at the time.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

disposablewords posted:

I really wish they'd called it something with a different acronym because I am perpetually confusing it with the SC2 Zerg campaign name, though.

They kinda realized that back in the day. There was an april fools joke where they announced they were changing the names of all their games to something that had the Acronym HOTS.

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

HannibalBarca posted:

Some of the most well-designed American Civil War games I've played were Brood War custom maps :v:

ah yes, Pickett's Zerg Rush

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
I finally bothered trying Lost Viking. Holy crap is your hitbox ridiculous. Kept dying to things that wouldn't have even been close enough for a graze in a bullet hell, and at least twice the larger explosion graphic of a projectile that supposedly killed me by touch, very visibly did not even reach the ship graphic. I can see why people say they have problems with it; not being able to see your actual hitbox is a whole extra dimension of difficulty.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Lost Viking is supposed to be a showcase of what the editor is capable of - it's a showpiece thrown together in a few days, not a quality product. The best thing about it is the Side Gun attachments that can be repurposed for various Arcade things.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Rebellion 2: Cutthroat

Video: Cutthroat

Incoming transmission.

He wants me to keep you off his back until they arrive.

She's a mercenary. She'll help whoever pays the most.

Basic start today.

The first part of this mission is just The Devil's Playground on a timer. If Orlan hits 6K minerals first, I lose.

No fancy cutscene of Mira taking the contract and steamrolling your base or anything, you just get slapped with a defeat screen.

Although unlike Devil's Playground, I don't have to constantly hop my base around to mine. The map is covered in scrap that I can grab for free money.

Putting this off until I got Orbital Commands helps out a ton, with MULEs giving me a lot more leeway in my mineral income.

You can also see those three marked spots on the minimap. Each of those is one of Orlan's mining outposts, and they are physically adding towards his total.

Alongside scrap are the usual gas caches.

And on top of that, there are a few shredders scattered across the map that will periodically spawn 300 minerals worth of scrap.

I have to move fast and cheap out on base defenses to save money, so the unlock for today are the fast and cheap Vultures, who can plop down some classic Spider Mines to catch attack waves.

Just like old times.

They hurt.

My army assembled, I attack the first outpost.

To reflect their Concussive damage type in SC1, Vultures deal anti-Light damage here. This comes in handy here as it lets them two shot Marines.

Oh look, my base is under attack!

Not anymore!

There are also these neutral fliers floating around.

You have to target them manually, but destroying them has them drop a small scrap pickup.

Each CC drops four mineral caches on death, on top of slowing down Orlan's mining.

And right next to it is the first bonus.

The barrier explodes into, you guessed it, even more money.

It's not hard to overtake Orlan.

Just outside my base is another relic.

Hitting all the outposts is key, as it'll both make it impossible for Orlan to catch up, and net you 1,200 free minerals!

My forces start to dwindle.

However: mercs.

A second shredder is just past the second base.

And the last relic is on the way to the third outpost.

Thanks to the MULEs, my starting minerals are almost completely mined out.

At this point you pretty much have to throw in order to lose. Orlan has just a small handful of SCVs in his main and will take ages to hit 6K.

Aaaaaaaaaaaand-

Done.

Of course Mira's base is hot pink. :allears:

Mira's contract was well worth the effort. Two Factories, two Barracks, 200 supply, as well as a bunch of free units (all of which, aside from the Medics and Diamondbacks, are their merc versions!).

Funnily enough, the base Refinery she had in the cutscene got upgraded into an Automated Refinery, leaving that one SCV holding a gas canister.

Oh look, an attack wave hitting the undefended side of my base.

Oh well.

While I build a bigger army, I'll keep scouring the map of scrap.

A third shredder is north of Mira's base.

Christ it's been two minutes how have you not finished off my base yet.

There's just so many resources on the map that running out is basically impossible. Even if you completely mined out the grinders would still net you close to 1K every time they refresh.

lol mercs.

Okay I think this will be more than enough.

Orlan drops a nuke on you when you first break into his base, but unlike Tosh he gives you the full nuke warning instead of the tiny dot.

Making it painfully easy to just... walk away.

Orlan's base is actually fairly hard to crack, with Siege Tanks set in awkward positions to wear down your forces.

Fortunately, you don't have to wipe his base out to win. As the objective says, all I have to take out is his Command Center.

And the mission ends as soon as it reaches critical HP.

Mira, do me a favor, keep him on ice.

I'll Do It Myself - Destroy Orlan's Mercenary Fortress in the "Cutthroat" mission before Han's mercenaries are hired on Normal difficulty.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 5, 2024

FrenchBen
Nov 30, 2013

Should have been able to keep the pink paintjob. It's a nice difference after all the blue, and while I understand why they did it, the fact you can't change colors in campaigns even in missions where there are no other terrans makes things a bit dull after a while.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I am disappointed about the lack of nuking in this mission. We demand nukes to be dropped!

There is also one more fun cheese in this mission to win before hiring Mira. The dreaded PF rush :v:

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
What also kills the command centre, is cheap, and without entering the base at all: 3 nukes.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Is there any special dialogue or anything if you manage to win without actually hiring Mira?

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Qwertycoatl posted:

Is there any special dialogue or anything if you manage to win without actually hiring Mira?

It's a cheevo, actually. It's also very possible to do, if more difficult since Orlan still has the same level of defenses and you still need to kill him before he hits 6K. Even with him just crawling along on his one core CC, if he can hold off one or two of your attacks, it can happen.

= = =

So I wrote up a much longer rant about this that I decided to shelf and rewrite in a trimmed down version, because it rambled all over the place, because the Starcraft 2 Vulture makes me sad. Mechanically it's in the wrong place in the campaign, it needs to be at the start (and would excel in the early missions like Zero Hour, Evacuation, Outbreak, etc.), but my big qualm with it is in voice direction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUML1cQiyVc

Everyone knows the SC1 Vulture! He's a hard-as-nails biker who doesn't take poo poo. He loves to ride and he loves doing crazy poo poo. This makes him a great contrast to SC1 Raynor, the "Vulture hero unit", who is always cool as a cucumber.

Well, most SC1 Terran units that cross over into SC2 retained their personality quite well! The Marine, the Siege Tank, the Ghost, the Firebat, some we haven't met yet.

Then there's the Vulture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAeUahLElfg

It's actually worse that he keeps effectively his entire catalog of SC1 quotes because the direction makes it sound like the same guy but now with depression. He's not amped up AT ALL. He's low-key and downright somber. This doesn't mesh with the Vulture's combat style whatsoever and it's a weird glaring outlier in the Terrans' "Rebel Yell" aesthetic that's otherwise only broken when you get to the professionals in the spaceships.

Worse still, this has gameplay consequences, because it means the Vulture's "I'm being attacked" bark is far, far, FAR easier to miss in the cacophony of noise that is controlling an SC2 battle. Since it's quieter and in a lower tone, it doesn't catch your ear as well. Since Vultures are so fragile, this means that if you even miss it for a split second, you can lose entire squads of Vultures to running into an enemy blob.

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Sep 16, 2023

Numbus26
Jun 23, 2023
Personally I'm a huge fan of the personality shift the Vulture received—these guys aren't fiery anymore, they've done their campaign and they're *tired*. Vultures have been phased out of military service at this point, and they've essentially been replaced by the Hellion(which is a tragedy), and so the only people left riding them aren't adrenaline junkies, they're old bikers too stubborn to give up the ghost and get with the times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Fun trivia, that 'junker' airship model floating around this mission is the original model for what became the Raven! It was originally called the Nomad and was supposed to be visibly building all its gadgets in that open rear bay area before launching them, but Blizzard decided they didn't fit the Terran aesthetic and made the Raven model to replace it.