Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Timby posted:

I know, I know--she even said to me once, "Even as a teenager, I've never been faithful to a partner, but you're turning 40 this year, I'll be 38, and I'm going to be faithful to you," and I should have realized right there that I'm just a crippled dipshit from Chicago now living in Iowa, I never deserved anything from her and I was wrong to expect anything but pain.

As a person with an unfaithful fiance as well let me say once you get through the anger and the pain (took me months but anyway) you're going to realize how much better it is to have this happen BEFORE the wedding. If only it happened before the ring. I don't know what to do with this thing.

I don't have any other sage pieces of wisdom, as it's been nearly two years and I've yet to even start dating again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

No, I get it, and I apologize if my tone came across wrong. Words are hard right now.

I'm glad I'm broke right now, means I can't get on the bus, go to the liquor store and let this turn into a banana peel for me. I've come way too far since my last relapse.

Hey sober buddy---this is a time to take care of yourself, and that includes your sobriety. Let yourself grieve, but not that way. Lean on whatever helped you get this far without drinking, too. Tipping my NA beer to you. I'm sure you've been through some poo poo since your sobriety and relapses, stay strong. I'd say shitpost with us, although I'm not sure if that would keep a man clean or drive him to drink...

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Crescent Wrench posted:

Hey sober buddy---this is a time to take care of yourself, and that includes your sobriety. Let yourself grieve, but not that way. Lean on whatever helped you get this far without drinking, too. Tipping my NA beer to you. I'm sure you've been through some poo poo since your sobriety and relapses, stay strong. I'd say shitpost with us, although I'm not sure if that would keep a man clean or drive him to drink...

One of the hardest parts of that is that literally on May 31, we moved to a duplex on the far north end of Dubuque. Essentially no bus service unless I walk a half-mile (hard to do in sweltering heat with two bad legs, a broken back and scarred lungs), which means meetings are very, very far away. And since my sponsor moved to Madison a month and a half ago (his wife got transferred), I'm basically going with temporary sponsors until I find someone I like.

Normally, I'd just go to a meeting myself, because my ... God, I guess I have to call her my ex, now ... well, we shared the car. Can't really do that anymore.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
Sorry man, I had some things typed up but I was getting too far in the weeds with my own past relationship issues but ultimately she just sucks and doesn't deserve you.

Push through the bullshit the best you can until you make it to the other side of this. My wife (fiance at the time) and I separated a couple years ago and everything hurt but I found positive things to focus on to get me through. Whatever it takes, find something to keep you grounded for now. I lived in the gym and it was very good for me but you find whatever you need. This sucks hard right now but you'll end up finding someone who's honest and worthy of you. Keep your head up and know your value going forward, she took advantage of your feelings for her which is really lovely but karma will take care of that down the road I'm sure.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

One of the hardest parts of that is that literally on May 31, we moved to a duplex on the far north end of Dubuque. Essentially no bus service unless I walk a half-mile (hard to do in sweltering heat with two bad legs, a broken back and scarred lungs), which means meetings are very, very far away. And since my sponsor moved to Madison a month and a half ago (his wife got transferred), I'm basically going with temporary sponsors until I find someone I like.

Normally, I'd just go to a meeting myself, because my ... God, I guess I have to call her my ex, now ... well, we shared the car. Can't really do that anymore.

Oof, what an awful time to have the continuity of your recovery hosed up. Are there any online options as a stopgap? I'm not really sure what the scene is like now, I know it was big over COVID but that was a different world and I'm in New York, I don't know if there are non-region-specific meetings. And I was never an AA guy, actually I recently just dipped from my last online group at the facility I went to.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Dango Bango posted:

Agreed in general. But I can get on board with the logic that because Homelander was not aware of our expecting Hughie in the vents, he didn't have his super senses focused on him until being hit with the sweat drop.

Agreed on principle. With the caveat that I was high when we watched it so maybe I just missed it, I'd be more willing to go with that explanation if there was even two seconds taken to establish some reason he was distracted or not paying attention. It was a clandestine meeting, and Hughie was literally in the vent opening blowing air into the room.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Oh hell, sorry to hear that Timby. All the best man, take some time to decompress.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Are you going to stay in Iowa? I think that's a bad idea on principle just having spent a lot of time in Iowa but unsure of your plans. Seems like you should try to get the f out of there?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

kiimo posted:

Are you going to stay in Iowa? I think that's a bad idea on principle just having spent a lot of time in Iowa but unsure of your plans. Seems like you should try to get the f out of there?

I became an adult in Dubuque (went to college here, met my best friends here, started a business here that while I am no longer a partner in, I still copy edit the paper I used to run), and I love being on a majestic river city.

I don't really know how else to live somewhere. I mean, I did Madison for eleven years, but that's where I got divorced, and the cost of living is obscene because of tech companies like Epic.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I've never been to Dubuque. If you love it, maybe at least see if you can break your lease and live in an area that makes more sense. But if you're also currently looking for work you might have to ride it out for a while.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Sorry to hear everything Timby. Reach out to those friends for support along with what everyone else has mentioned to help grieve and take care of yourself.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I'm so sorry Timby. I also forgave and tried to make things work with someone who cheated on me and they did something similar (we weren't engaged or formally living together thankfully) and oof, I feel you about skipping anger and going straight to depression. People downplay online supports but don't feel like you can't turn to them because sometimes you just need someone to listen.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Fuuuuuuull

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

drat Timby that sucks a lot man, sorry.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

:toxx: If I ever bring up mention of allowing my former fiancee to come back into my life beyond getting her (and the kids') stuff out of the apartment or asking if we can still be friends, ban my rear end.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Dude you won’t even entertain the thought. Youre stronger than that. Just remember “fool me thrice? gently caress that”

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Timby I feel for you, pal. I also never understood how you had a fiancee but no food, like this person apparently had kids and a job and a car but wasn't volunteering to keep you fed, like I can't imagine dating someone who couldn't afford food and not buying them food. But I said nothing because you seemed happy and I did not want to inject that kind of negativity where it wasn't invited.

But right now with this shoe dropped, man she sure seems selfish to me.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
RIP Willie Mays :(

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Joey Freshwater posted:

RIP Willie Mays :(

I learned simultaneously that Mays was still alive and had died. I assumed he’d been dead for like 20yrs for some reason.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

gently caress, RIP to a legend.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

I learned simultaneously that Mays was still alive and had died. I assumed he’d been dead for like 20yrs for some reason.

This was me too :stare:

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Just finished the Murdaugh Murders
https://m.imdb.com/title/tt26340238/
loving wild

Anything else good like this quality wise? Know I mentioned it the other day but thinking about rewatching the head exploding bank robber again.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Intruder posted:

forget stepping on legos barefoot, the real pain is stepping on one of those hard plastic chewbones that your dog left in a spot you couldn't quite see it. a well loved and well chewed one that has all the sharp little edges all over the place

I haven’t lived with a dog in about 13 years but can sense and remember this feeling precisely. A very specific type of sharp.

Thaddius the Large posted:

It’s like graduating college and getting a real grownup job, you miss a lot of the old stuff but find new things to appreciate! And also get older and fatter and more stressed out and grey, but in a good way. Usually.

Yeah, it’s not fun sometimes but watching a little person grow and begin to become themselves is fun. And I only have a two-year-old, I can’t wait to see even more.

Timby posted:

:toxx: If I ever bring up mention of allowing my former fiancee to come back into my life beyond getting her (and the kids') stuff out of the apartment or asking if we can still be friends, ban my rear end.

Nah, I think there might be some strong warnings and “don’t be a dummy” comments but banning you from the community for that? That seems a bit far.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I am friends with almost all of my exes including my ex fiancé. I guess some people need to :sever: but I’ve never felt the need. We’re all just trying to find the One and if that person isn’t the one, no sense in hating them. at least that’s how my weird rear end brain thinks.

Even if they cheated on you and it feels like they screwed you over, I’ve always felt like when you find the one they won’t cheat and cheating is a way many people let the other know that you weren’t the One and there is nothing wrong with that.

Sorry for the late night musings but I’ve never really understand hating someone because your relationship didn’t work out and never speaking to them again. Most of my relationships have been friends in the beginning though

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Cheating is ok is certainly a take

Feel like there’s better ways to let someone know you don’t wanna be with them like idk maybe literally anything else

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

It’s called performative dance, duh.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

In a world where people are driven into depression, and occasionally suicide, over infidelity, I'm going to have to say that cheating makes you a tremendous rear end in a top hat at the very least.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I think they're saying "not being The One is okay", not "cheating to tell someone that is okay"

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

kiimo posted:

I am friends with almost all of my exes including my ex fiancé. I guess some people need to :sever: but I’ve never felt the need. We’re all just trying to find the One and if that person isn’t the one, no sense in hating them. at least that’s how my weird rear end brain thinks.

Even if they cheated on you and it feels like they screwed you over, I’ve always felt like when you find the one they won’t cheat and cheating is a way many people let the other know that you weren’t the One and there is nothing wrong with that.

Sorry for the late night musings but I’ve never really understand hating someone because your relationship didn’t work out and never speaking to them again. Most of my relationships have been friends in the beginning though

this take can be seen as minimizing which I don't think is your intention.

It's OK to feel resentment and its OK to reconcile if that's within your belief system. Cheating is significant emotional harm though and it's reasonable to not want to be in any form of relationship with someone who knowingly harmed you. Cheating is one of the purest types of "knowing harm" where the cheater KNOWS that their actions will cause harm to the other party, and then chooses to do it anyway.

It's a bit more complex than "the relationship didn't work out" a more accurate description is "this person chose to harm me ìn a serious and intractable way when they could have chosen not to" and then deciding you don't want a person who acts that way in your life; which is fair

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

kiimo posted:

Simply have only one romantic partner for your entire adult life and you can avoid this conundrum altogether :goleft:

A good friend of mine recently broke up with her boyfriend of a few years and they've talked about continuing to be friends with each other (no infidelity at play AFAIK), though my wife says that the ex-boyfriend should just cut my friend out of his life entirely if he wants her back in the future lol. It takes all kinds!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Amazing what falling asleep to a good thunderstorm can do for the soul.

Speaking of good for the soul, talked to my best friend and I'm borrowing his Toys for Tots pickup truck for the time being until I get back on my feet, so I am no longer without wheels. Already hit up an AA meeting this morning and some folks I know from the fellowship club invited me to a card game tonight.

I appreciate--I mean this genuinely--all the kind words from yesterday. I'm not square with myself yet, I know that loss is a process, and so is grieving, but I know what I have to do. So thank you, all y'all.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
Glad to see you feel like you're on the upward mend Timby.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Coco13 posted:

Glad to see you feel like you're on the upward mend Timby.

The rational part of me knows that this is likely a dead cat bounce (or denial) and by the weekend I'll have hit a point where I'm alternating between climbing the walls and screaming with such ferocity that Bruce Dickinson would say, "drat, son, take a breath." But I'll ride this for as long as I can.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Timby posted:

The rational part of me knows that this is likely a dead cat bounce (or denial) and by the weekend I'll have hit a point where I'm alternating between climbing the walls and screaming with such ferocity that Bruce Dickinson would say, "drat, son, take a breath." But I'll ride this for as long as I can.

Just remember that it's okay if that's the case. It's part of the grieving process and it's normal.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Cheating is bad and for a million bucks I will have Two. There is No One.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lmW2tZP2kU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Amy Pole Her posted:

she showed you who she was and you didn’t believe her.

This is the truth

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Denial, river, Egypt, etc.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Why?

https://x.com/AP/status/1803490460872102333

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

I can't wait until the Church of Satan gets involved with this one!

quote:

the Ten Commandments are described as “foundational documents of our state and national government.”

Haha get the gently caress out of here with that bullshit

Black Sunshine fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 19, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oh they've bypassed that, the legislative act just explicitly puts the 10 commandments into every classroom, it doesn't create some mechanism by which religious people can put their text with equal access into a public space.

It's flagrantly unconstitutional and basically the same thing has been shot down by the supreme court before, but I guess they're counting on the current SC majority to just go ahead and burn another piece of the constitution.