Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

That was actually a threat. "Tell me I'm a pretty bird or... *gestures to beak* me *gestures to walnut* your skull *CRUNCH*"

"Nice fingats. Would be a shame if anything were to happen to them..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Ohtori is biting really hard but he was so happy with me petting him this morning he turned into a squeaky toy :kimchi: and last night I was a bad owner and got him out to say hi. He flew right into my hands, bit me, tried to feed my fingers, then allowed a hug before going back to sleep

Steve just whistled and heart-winged when he saw me, bumped beak to nose, then ran off after Ohtori

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot. posted:

https://featheredangels.wordpress.com/parrot-behavior-and-issues/understanding-your-parrot/bird-bites-they-can-and-do-happen/

oh cool, an article about how birds bite, what to look out for, etc.. nothing out of the ordinary, right? then I saw the gallery of bite wounds at the bottom :stare:

im not going to let the birds go on my shoulder anymore

schnickety scribe
Jul 5, 2015

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

afaik any bird excretion that smells strange is cause for concern. esp if it's like, putrid.

The last thing I'll say on the matter is that it does smell like what Simon's carsickness vomit smells like. Could it just be Maestro regurgitates from his stomach, like, if his crop is empty (since it doesn't stink every single time, just most of the time)? And I know he's regurgitating because he does the whole head bobbing thing and doesn't fling it around. His activity levels are all the same. In fact, he's actually been flying around more than usual and seems to be incredibly happy all the time.

All the birds need check ups soon, anyway, I'm just trying to gauge whether or not Maestro needs an appointment sooner than later.

greypearl
Jul 26, 2007
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

schnickety scribe posted:

All the birds need check ups soon, anyway, I'm just trying to gauge whether or not Maestro needs an appointment sooner than later.

I'd say take him in now-- look at it this way, if he stops for whatever reason before you take him in, you'll never have an answer as to if it's normal for him. So if it happens again you'll be stuck in the same boat of not knowing if he's sick.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Dreggon posted:

im not going to let the birds go on my shoulder anymore

You...let wild sulfur crested cockatoos sit on your shoulder?

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
I've had wild corellas, galahs and rainbow lorikeets sit on my shoulders/head before.

As long as you keep supplying them with seed, everything is ok...

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Mizuti posted:

I feel like at this point any missing body parts are going to be Dreggon's fault and not Gaston's.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Mizuti posted:

I would. Cockatoos are the best.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers
I would love to let Bonny ride on my shoulder, but I will not. She has ripped some skin off my fingers in the past, but for the most part she is past the biting me phase. Even when she is really mad its not much of a bite, more of a strong pinch. But that does not mean she could not do some real damage with out intending to bite. When I was growing up there was a women down the street that loved to have her Macaw on her shoulder, at Halloween she would always be out front of the house with him, but she had a large scare on her cheek. Her macaw lost its balance and grabbed her face to stay on, taking a large chunk out of it. Another women I knew had to go to the hospital because her macaw had latched onto her noise and would not release, pierced right through it. Think of the measures little guys take to keep their balance, then imagine something much larger doing the the very same thing. Currently, the only time Bonny is allowed on my shoulder is for training to get off my shoulder.

The Conan video is great, but a walnut is not even close to testing their beak strength. Bonny's current favorite type of toy are coconuts. She will take the hard shell and break off chucks of it until she gets to the hardware connection point. She really is a wood chipper with wings, its amazing how fast she can rip apart a 2x4".

Even lovebirds can rip earrings out of earlobes.

I got her stand :airquote: finished :airquote:
My order of vetrap got lost in the mail, so waiting for that to come, and Bonny has figured out how to destroy parts of the PVC connections, so I have to change a few things. She was scared of it at first and wanted nothing to do with it. Now she loves it, and is indicating that she wants us to put her out there. Now that I have made two of them, the next one I want to make is to replace a hand-me-down metal stand that I am using, I think I could make a nicer one that is more appropriate for a macaw. The word back from the African Grey Stand I made, is that its a hit. Took a while but now they love it and spend a lot of time on it.

I also finished her shower perch, it works really well, but she is even more scared of it then she was of the stand, and has not moved on past that point. So far I can get her on it, but I have to be in the shower with her leaning over her. Not that big of a deal but I am naked and she is clawing at me trying to step up. It is nice to get her down off the white shower curtain that she is slowly turning green.

Nov 3, 2015

Mirthless posted:

The initial terror phase seems to have come to an end:

We haven't settled on a name yet. Cage is admittedly small, but not permanent.

He is so cute. Its not that small, just needs a few more perches and stuff, and if you have him out all the time, not that big of a deal. I miss having a Budgie, last one I had used to love talking in his food dish, would go over and mumble unknown horrors into it.

Names
Crepe, croissant, scone,waffle, maple, ham

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Yeah i used to try showering without putting the bird away, there was an incident with slipping and landing on delicate bits that definitely are not claw friendly. The bird goes away now.

Nov 3, 2015

Mirthless posted:

Status update on the new budgie:

Oh! Hello.

High Res Boodge:

Current name contenders are Muffin and Bagel, in keeping with our breakfast themed pet names. I have also considered yogurt? But I think my wife is vetoing that one.

He has a very good temperament so far, he was petrified the first day we had him but he's been climbing around in his cage and checking things out, so he seems to be settling in quite well. He does not seem to be fearful of hands or new things, so I think I should be able to hand tame him eventually.

We are keeping the birds apart from each other for now, but they are still in the same room, just on opposite sides. Is that okay for quarantine purposes? If so, how close to each other can they get? I don't plan on letting Skillet climb on the budgie's cage or anything but it'd be nice if they could talk to each other when Skillet is on the play gym in front of the budgie's cage.

For quarantine, they should be in different rooms. Not that this is always possible, but you want them to be as far as possible from each other. As with most things, there are extremes on how far you take things. Its about how much information you have on your new bird, and how much of a risk are you willing/able/required to take.

http://www.birdchannel.com/bird-diet-and-health/bird-care/quarantine-new-pet-birds.aspx

quote:

Ideally, the bird(s) being quarantined is completely isolated from existing pets; keeping the new bird at a neighbor’s or friend’s house is ideal if they are open to that. If this is not possible, the pet bird should be placed as far away as possible from any other pet birds, preferably in a room with a separate airspace to prevent the possibility of airborne contamination.

If your home has forced-air heating, shut off the air circulation to and from the quarantine room, and arrange to draw air into the quarantine room from outside the house. This assists in preventing airborne contamination and also minimizes the risk of any bacteria, pests, fungi or molds that may be present from getting into the vents and spreading to the rest of the house.

Even if you live in a small apartment, you can establish a limited quarantine by placing a newly acquired bird as far away as possible from your existing birds until you’ve had its general health and well-being cleared by a veterinarian. An essential part of keeping your current pets safe is to always insist on getting a health-check by a qualified avian veterinarian before ever considering buying a bird and bringing it into your home. The next step to consider is the length of the quarantine period. The goal is to keep a bird in quarantine long enough so that any underlying disease it might be carrying finishes its incubation period and becomes active and visible in the bird before the quarantine period is over. Given the rather long incubation period of some of the diseases that our avian friends can carry, a six-week quarantine period is preferable.

Quarantine At Home
No matter where you acquired your bird — a shelter, a breeder or a retail store — there is still good reason to apply your own home quarantine to any new bird coming into your home. Sometimes entire flocks can carry pests or diseases that don’t bother them but that can spell trouble to a bird of a different species or from a different environment. Additionally, the quarantine period also allows the new bird to become more accustomed to you and your care system. This can help ease the stress normally experienced by any bird undergoing the transition to a new home and a new system of care.

One of the most difficult parts of observing a home-quarantine protocol is to keep possible exposure between the quarantined birds and your own birds to a minimum. This is easiest to do if the quarantined bird is attended to last.

1) Always feed, clean and maintain your established pet birds before approaching a quarantined bird for care and interaction.

2) Keep a clean smock or some other article of clothing at the entrance to the room the quarantined bird is kept in, along with a pair of slip-on shoes and some clean, empty garbage bags. Change out of your everyday clothes into these before approaching the quarantined bird. This makes it easier to be sure you don’t accidentally pick up anything contagious and carry it out of the quarantine room on your clothes or shoes.

3) Create a foot bath by filling a plastic container with a disinfectant solution safe for your shoes, and step into this on your way into and out of the room. Once you have finished attending to your new bird’s needs, walk through the foot bath, remove your slip-on shoes, and toss the smock/designated clothes into one of your garbage bags for transport to the laundry.

4) Take a shower before carrying on with your day, and change back into your regular clothes.

This type of routine can complicate your day of course, but, depending on the circumstances, this quarantine protocol can save your birds’ lives, along with a sometimes fairly hefty investment of time, effort or money.

Depending on where your new bird came from, your avian veterinarian might recommend administering some medication during your home quarantine. For example, if your new pet had access to an outdoor aviary, and that included exposure to soil or standing water, your avian vet may recommend treating your bird for possible soil- or water-borne pathogens, such as intestinal worms, Giardia or coccidia

1500 fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jan 20, 2016

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Yeah i used to try showering without putting the bird away, there was an incident with slipping and landing on delicate bits that definitely are not claw friendly. The bird goes away now.

My dad used to walk around the house naked, probably still does when I'm not there, it was never explained exactly why - it was just normal to us to have dad running to the bedroom when the doorbell went, and having to check if he was in and give warning if we wanted to bring friends into the house. Anyway, the man was so truly committed to the cause that he actually trained his cats not to go for his balls instead of putting on underpants, and yes when they first got the black Siamese kittens there were several occasions when we would hear screaming and dad would be removing a kitten hanging on to his balls with it's claws.

Yeh. I only just realized how really loving weird my dad is after writing that down, 10 year old me didn't clock that. Holy poo poo.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I mean, cat to the balls is one way to learn to wear pants.

Nov 3, 2015

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

I mean, cat to the balls is one way to learn to wear pants.

I have never known pants to provide much protection from cats.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I played Falco's Rock Me Amadeus to its namesake today and not only does he still dance like an adorable moron but now he yells HEY every time he hears his name :allears:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

《Eyes glaze and focus slightly into the distance》
You will record Amadeus dancing along to his namesake and post a link to it here.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Unfortunately taking my phone out means it's time to stop dancing and start mugging for it instead. :mad:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Unfortunately taking my phone out means it's time to stop dancing and start mugging for it instead. :mad:
Good to know it's not just Judah who stops doing cute things when he sees my phone. Either he hates it or he wants to get up close to the lens and kiss with tongue.

Gross-rear end potato :mad:

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

I am a Purrrfect Princess

Put the phone behind a piece of cardboard with a hole for the lens cut out >_>

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

blackflare posted:

Put the phone behind a piece of cardboard with a hole for the lens cut out >_>

Lessons on how to perv on your birds.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Though Alexis hams it up a little bit for the camera sometimes, mostly she doesn't really care that I'm holding it. It works even better if I put it on a tripod so I can interact with her directly (or leave the room so she'll do stuff on her own).

Auri doesn't care a whit as long as I don't invade her personal space.

Nov 3, 2015

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I played Falco's Rock Me Amadeus to its namesake today and not only does he still dance like an adorable moron but now he yells HEY every time he hears his name :allears:

Bonny starts dancing when every I pull out the Guitar and practice, she really seems to like it. I have gotten into the habit of putting on cartoons for her when I leave the house, she sings along to the My Little Pony theme song.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
My other birds are apathetic at best about cameras but Archer seems to enjoy it and is pretty photogenic.

1500 posted:

Bonny starts dancing when every I pull out the Guitar and practice, she really seems to like it. I have gotten into the habit of putting on cartoons for her when I leave the house, she sings along to the My Little Pony theme song.

Charlie doesn't care much about music but loves it if someone is singing. The cockatiels will sometimes sit in front of the speaker and fluff their face feathers up when I play music though so I guess they're enjoying it.

Shark Sandwich fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 20, 2016

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Tendai posted:

I feel like at this point any missing body parts are going to be Dreggon's fault and not Gaston's.
No one preens like Gaston. No one screams like Gaston. In a fight nobody bites like Gaston!

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jan 20, 2016

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Potato Salad posted:

《Eyes glaze and focus slightly into the distance》
You will record Amadeus dancing along to his namesake and post a link to it here.

oh dear god...you KNOW what you have to do now!!

Is it creepy that I want to sneak in your house and watch Ama being all cute and stuff?

1500 posted:

and that goes for you too...but watching Bonny instead of Ama :P We expect video of cute birbs!

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Inko likes his new corner shelf but is wary of his snuggie (or whatever they're called), is still sleeping on the floor under his paper towels

Ohtori did not like his, and Steve flirted with it when offered

Also I'm still not at laptop to get the photos, but hats were tried on and photos were taken

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Please find a way to stealth record this, my heart can't take it :3:

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Mirthless posted:

Status update on the new budgie:

Oh! Hello.

High Res Boodge:

Current name contenders are Muffin and Bagel, in keeping with our breakfast themed pet names. I have also considered yogurt? But I think my wife is vetoing that one.

He has a very good temperament so far, he was petrified the first day we had him but he's been climbing around in his cage and checking things out, so he seems to be settling in quite well. He does not seem to be fearful of hands or new things, so I think I should be able to hand tame him eventually.

We are keeping the birds apart from each other for now, but they are still in the same room, just on opposite sides. Is that okay for quarantine purposes? If so, how close to each other can they get? I don't plan on letting Skillet climb on the budgie's cage or anything but it'd be nice if they could talk to each other when Skillet is on the play gym in front of the budgie's cage.

hello, i have thought of a breakfast name for your budgie, the name is English because english is a type of breakfast and budgies look very english, i hope the name is acceptable

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Dreggon posted:

hello, i have thought of a breakfast name for your budgie, the name is English because english is a type of breakfast and budgies look very english, i hope the name is acceptable

Crumpet!

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Omelet could be a good bird name.

Edit: Also LAB I just noticed your mod star is a bird.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

Edit: Also LAB I just noticed your mod star is a bird.

Yeah, zdr did it for me :buddy:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm more concerned about your title :colbert: Of my 99 problems, a bird is at least like... 5. 6 if he's noisy that day.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

oh yes, he ain't one because he's thirty you see :shepface:

e: jk i love my dumb birb. he is like 3 max.

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jan 21, 2016

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

seconding this

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Tendai posted:

I'm more concerned about your title :colbert: Of my 99 problems, a bird is at least like... 5. 6 if he's noisy that day.

Tendai, I think you're cockatieling wrong if it's more than like 2. Or maybe I'm cockatieling wrong...

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

Tendai, I think you're cockatieling wrong if it's more than like 2. Or maybe I'm cockatieling wrong...
You know that thing where they're all "hurr Eskimos have 900 words for snow" well it's like that but with noise. Problem 1: Judah screaming. Problem 2: Judah screaming because it's snowing, lending a particularly irritating pitch. Problem 3: Judah screaming because I, or the cat, or some combination thereof, has left the room. Or entered the room. Or considered rooms as a concept.

And etc.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Tendai posted:

You know that thing where they're all "hurr Eskimos have 900 words for snow" well it's like that but with noise. Problem 1: Judah screaming. Problem 2: Judah screaming because it's snowing, lending a particularly irritating pitch. Problem 3: Judah screaming because I, or the cat, or some combination thereof, has left the room. Or entered the room. Or considered rooms as a concept.

And etc.

Hahaha. I was just busting your chops. Judah is such a sheltered momma's boy though (in the best way possible).

Edit: I know Archer would totally be the same way except he's got Ellie to impress and Charlie to troll him.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
HE IS NOT oh god yes he is.

But he likes to pretend that he's a dignified middle aged man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Another consideration we have been throwing around:

Other ideas: Sugar or Creamer, since they go in Coffee. (incidentally, we have a cat named Coffee. She would be delighted to eat this little baby.)

So a little background on the budgie baby; I get toys for Skillet from a feed store in our area, and they have a tank full of untame ten dollar budgies. In fairness to the feed store, they apparently do socialize their birds, but I doubt the budgie tank residents are getting a lot of individual love so I figured it was going to be a crapshoot! I went up to the store on my lunch break and looked over the birds and had a few promising looking birds - I was looking for budgies that were clearly still babies, didn't look sick, were attentive to my presence by the cage but not clearly afraid of me. I was paying most of the attention to the birds that were closest to the window but I noticed a little white and slightly pastel blue guy hanging off the wall looking at me. After a second he got bored, crawled into the cuttlebone holder and started scritching himself with it. :kimchi: I made a mental note and came back after work, and while I was agonizing over which bird I was going to pick I noticed the little guy and remembered the cuttlebone thing and thought I'd take a chance.

Well, he's been home for three days, and he's just as happy getting a scritch from a finger as he is a cuttlebone holder.

I won the budgie lottery.

This is under consideration and on the short list

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jan 21, 2016