Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

Dante80 posted:

What i see myself doing one day is laying back in a 890Jump making my fortune and giving back to newcomers and vets to keep this game alive well after im old irl. I wish i could just buy all the things i want in this game now but then again. The road to 890 sounds good to m

These dudes need to get laid.

Edit:

JugbandDude fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Mar 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Dante80 posted:

The funny part is, CIG has actually marketed (and monetized pre-launch) said experiences to him already. Literally everything he says is supported by CIG development quotes.

Which, -getting back to my original argument- proves the point that the next best thing to the game not happening, is it actually happening. The development debt they have amassed is so gargantuan, that even them making a good (lol, but anyway) game out of this debacle is going to be viewed as a colossal gently caress-up.

This is true.

They can not, even if they made the perfect game as is, that will please every backer for what they backed it for. There are far too many contradictory elements at core levels.

But it's easy to lie. Just got to say it to get the money, and have no intention of ever trying to achieve the goal or even give it thought about "can this actually be done?"

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

I lasted about a minute before my eyes glossed over and I realized that the lead designer hadn't actually committed to a single thing. They're making it up just as much as they did six years ago.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

The Titanic posted:

Good decision! :hfive:

I would expect the same from anyone else employed in the industry.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Peter.Quint posted:

Ok, off to the pub and maybe the races.

Coolsies.

Just to let you know that one of the pointless rituals is to introduce yourself in GBS, the 'main' forum. It goes some way to saying 'Hi' in a really pointless fashion.

Number19 posted:

I would expect the same from anyone else employed in the industry.

Well, you don't _have_ to come in when we're discussing PGI. I merely look at the threads about my corporate and close them while sadly chuckling.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Beexoffel posted:

12½ years in the making - is AdzAdama sending us a message about when it'll be done?

He's got it as 32 bit as well. Heretic!

Pixelate fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Mar 16, 2018

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Titanic posted:

I think your arrival on the scene was the big turning point in making it not just a "this is bad" situation but an "oh poo poo" situation.

Beer4TheBeerGod was hammering away at them, slowly growing more and more "hostile" to the core values of the project. He had such logical qualities that people couldn't help but agree with him. He wanted and expected results. He even sent them beer gifts and such. He was the equisential backer with Star Citizen as his beef. He was what they wanted... at first.

Smart
Heavily involved
A firm believer
Had charisma others could easily follow
Could convey topics sensibly
Etc

As he started to shift, I'm sure they still felt they could quell the tide. Sure things were looking bad, people actually were starting to have "expectations" that we now know CIG never intended to or could back up their lies with.

While they were showing ridiculous poo poo like players manually loading missiles, Beer4TheBeerGod was wanting things fixed in stuff like the Arena Commander section, and wondering why things kept getting worse and not better.

This was something they may still be able to control.

But then you, Derek, came on scene suddenly. You had a big stick and a big blog and you tore them to pieces. What we know now is that you came in and literally hit the nail right on the head. Your qualms were real, the issues you brought up were genuine, the things you told them they were doing and failing they actually were doing and failing.

This was a turning moment for CIG as it turns out.

Did they have enough control over their people to force them, by literally deleting stuff and yelling and screaming and creating witch hunts, to get backers to ignore the truth?

As it turns out, they did! And still do! They managed to take a "community" that was already turning hostile and split it almost down the middle, while retaining enough valid backers and people with money to keep going.

To Chris and crew, that huge letter to the Escapist to them was their last shot at retaining legitimacy to them. The project was sinking fast and it took this insane push to shred their own community into a bloodbath and expunge people Willy nilly and go on about "FUD campaigns" and somehow have enough people not look at them like they were absolutely crazy.

It was ultimately Derek that caused the cult to appear and grow. CIG had no choice but to convert the product from a "video game we're making" into some kind of a "you're our family" type thing, and hugged their members close and encouraged them to hate the FUDsters.

Since then CIG management has retracted and let things go on autopilot and turn into more of a non stop marketing blitz to keep people spending money. But for a year or two Chris and Sandi were hugely involved with getting this extremist "experience" set up and in place. It lead to much comedy and ultimate disappointment that a real company can stoop so low. That it's all over a dumb video game that everybody knows is impossible make only makes it more embarrassing.

But it's why it's my favorite game I've never played. :)

Star Citizen stopped being a crowdfunded project and turned into an alternative reality game around the time that Derek showed up. Unfortunately Derek and Chris have more in common than either would like to admit, particularly in terms of a penchant for over-promising and under-delivering. Chris was right about one thing; after about three years things begin to get stale. Star Citizen started to get stale around 2015, and now as we near the three year mark of Derek's involvement the same is true for the ARG.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

D_Smart posted:

:allears:

ps: I was never banned prior to Star Citizen. I had left for some reason or another - completely unrelated to the site. Then I found out that I no longer had access to my old SA account (ix.netcom.com email host) and couldn't log back in. I later forgot all about SA for a bit. When the Star Citizen fiasco broke and my name was everywhere, someone here (I forget who, but I have the email) sent me a message about the thread. They paid for me to rejoin. Later, Lowtax gave me the forum and I was the only mod. It was all good, I had a honor system going, and none of the poo poo that goes on right now, ever happened. Because people know that I have a short fuse when it comes to bullshit. Then I outed a Shitizen scammer. I got accused of doxing (it was all bullshit really. but whatever). Then FAU decided to ban me for that. Because reasons. During that time, Beet and Beer were nominated to be mods. I came back a few days later. The End.

Wait, I thought you helped lowtax build this site? How do you just *forget* about something you helped build?

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Hav posted:

Well, you don't _have_ to come in when we're discussing PGI. I merely look at the threads about my corporate and close them while sadly chuckling.

Sometimes I just look and move on, sometimes I pop in to chat. It depends on the day and what I'm up to.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Mod suggestion: engaging with Derek Smart, attacking Derek Smart, complimenting Derek Smart, telling others what to think of Derek Smart, discussing what you think of what others think of Derek Smart gets probated

Start with me, my posting sucks anyway

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

iospace posted:

Still waiting on my trickledown.

The only trickledown coming is from the russian pee tapes.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

big nipples big life posted:

Hey "Derek Smart is a Hero" guy, no one trusts you if you have a clean rap sheet anyway so be happy you got jailed already.

I still don't trust you...

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Pixelate posted:

lol

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Pixelate posted:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Krycek posted:

Wait, I thought you helped lowtax build this site? How do you just *forget* about something you helped build?

He built LOD and constantly forgets to update that so I don't know how you were expecting a different result here.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

uhhh.... mods?

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Ayn Marx posted:

Mod suggestion: engaging with Derek Smart, attacking Derek Smart, complimenting Derek Smart, telling others what to think of Derek Smart, discussing what you think of what others think of Derek Smart gets probated

This sounds good. Sign me up too.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Ayn Marx posted:

If Derek talking about himself is included in this rule then I am all in. I would even :toxx: on never breaking it.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
scrod

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

Chris Ruberts

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

If Derek talking about himself is included in this rule then I am all in. I would even :toxx: on never breaking it.

How would I be able to keep up with the twitter and the blog, though?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Hav posted:

How would I be able to keep up with the twitter and the blog, though?

I think twitter has some kind of built in functionally expressly for that.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

.. is delicious and appropriate for Lenten Fridays.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

imaginary people can do anything

For example, visionary game developer Chris Roberts.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Bayonnefrog posted:

capitalism is better than the alternatives. Like stealing money from people

capitalism is stealing from people

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

capitalism is stealing from people

Get out you commie bastard.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.
Tane

Awesome Fidelity
Aug 16, 2017

The path i walk lights up in
fidelity

e: earlier...

Awesome Fidelity fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 16, 2018

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Number19 posted:

I will never speak for the company, nor it's employees in this capacity in any way.

Fair enough lol

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

What sent us back into the "Star Citizen is good and fun and a game you can actually play" cycle? We were just in "early stages and bad now means great later."

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

That guy is powerfully retarded.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

ManofManyAliases posted:

This is not true. I've seen this at the LA office.

With or without combat AI? In space only or on foot as well?

Before or after the switch from a landing zone based vision for missions to a procedurally generated one?

Different from the material seen in the vertical slice?

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I lasted about a minute before my eyes glossed over and I realized that the lead designer hadn't actually committed to a single thing. They're making it up just as much as they did six years ago.

You missed the big Lando revelation then!

:chanpop::chanpop::chanpop:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

ManofManyAliases posted:

Get out you commie bastard.

Don't base ur identity on ownership and consumption friend, it makes you kind of tedious

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Actually, expanding on that “fair enough” comment a little, I’ve only just now realized how spoiled CIG has made me. It should be the obvious answer that of course no employee is going to answer that question. I’ve just gotten so used to personal emails and 8 hour long coke letters from CIG that for a moment I forgot not everybody does that lol

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Fnord

overseer07
Mar 30, 2003
Pillbug

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Star Citizen stopped being a crowdfunded project and turned into an alternative reality game around the time that Derek showed up. Unfortunately Derek and Chris have more in common than either would like to admit, particularly in terms of a penchant for over-promising and under-delivering. Chris was right about one thing; after about three years things begin to get stale. Star Citizen started to get stale around 2015, and now as we near the three year mark of Derek's involvement the same is true for the ARG.

At this point, the funniest possible thing that could happen is Derek getting permabanned from here, Frontier forums, and Twitter five minutes before the judge reads her verdict.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

G0RF posted:

With or without combat AI? In space only or on foot as well?

With, inclusive of NPC combat and team battle that had a base landing.

quote:

Before or after the switch from a landing zone based vision for missions to a procedurally generated one?

After the proc gen updates.

quote:

Different from the material seen in the vertical slice?
The correct answer here is "relative/similar" but not the same. The locale wasn't anything that was publicly shown.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

overseer07 posted:

At this point, the funniest possible thing that could happen is Derek getting permabanned from here, Frontier forums, and Twitter five minutes before the judge reads her verdict.

How can we crowdfund that?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

ManofManyAliases posted:

How can we crowdfund that?

We could have Chris kickstart it, but he'd just steal the money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
Or maybe an open letter in :reddit:, I hear they are all the buzz now.