Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
Could it be that the ambiguity is intentional? Like it's supposed to remind you of the scary, unknowable question of how much of your intellect or free will is really "free," versus how much is after-the-fact rationalization of what your biology demands? Could it be that trying to erase the tension that powers a narrative with one million words of fanboy theorycraft is not only doomed to failure but pointless to begin with? These answers and more, coming never, on Let's Play Final Fantasy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

The great thing about Jenova is that she's established incredibly as an powerful entity threatening all life. And a trickster. Then she proceeds to have have next to no direct presence in the story, except for exactly one line: "You are a puppet". Pretty hard to see how you are not supposed to have some doubts about who is the one pulling the strings.

If you are going to establish a strict canon explanation for something that worked because of ambiguity, at least don't make it as boring as "Meh, the eldricht abomination in the shadows? Just a plot device to give people superpowers". But I doubt "like the Bible" was how even the developers meant their answers to be taken on some interview about a story with several other creators.

Sir Nimblebottom
May 10, 2008
Wholeheartedly agree that a wonderful aspect of this game is that Jenova isn't ever "explained" properly. Not in a direct way.

For example, one interpretation of the Jenova / Sephiroth "who is in control?" question that, strangely, I haven't seen, and that seems rather obvious, is that it is actually a Mother-Son relationship. Perhaps Jenova, though a parasitic cosmic horror who desires chaos and despair, actually bonds with Sephiroth and they communicate telepathically. Perhaps they are together seeking to feed on the hope and life of the planet and of all organic beings.

We know that Jenova can communicate telepathically, so perhaps the entire time that Sephiroth talks like a crazy person to Mother, he is actually communicating with it(her?) and they have some twisted relationship where Sephiroth, once he has freed it, can go and sit in a crater while Jenova goes and uses it's powers to summon Meteor and then they can both revel in the death of the planet. It seems like everyone here assumes Jenova cannot possibly have affection for anything other than itself (herself), but maybe infecting a human baby with Jenova cells provoked Jenova to want to adopt it in a twisted way. Over time, Jenova became attached to the child. Maybe they argued, maybe Sephiroth had a rebellious streak, maybe he realized the error of his ways, maybe they now want to eradicate all life in the universe together. It maybe unlikely if you have accepted Jenova as an unfeeling virus, but maybe Sephiroth provoked something different.

Forgive me if that seems like an easily dismissed interpretation, but to me it's another example of something the game doesn't spell out but leaves as an enticing possibility.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Sir Nimblebottom posted:

For example, one interpretation of the Jenova / Sephiroth "who is in control?" question that, strangely, I haven't seen
You probably haven't seen it because most people don't want to discuss this topic again.

The last time this derail came up (where someone also brought up that line from Hojo as if Hojo is an authority on the relationship between a complex alien space disease and super soldiers he crafted through :science:), a popular opinion was that it was more interesting to think of their relationship as a buddy cop scenario.

It's not an easily dismissed interpretation. There's so much ambiguity that the most easily dismissed thought is assurance.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

For all Hojo's insanity, I think we should take him as an authority on Jenova. He's the only on doing experiments on it (and thus the only one with data) and he's obviously getting good enough results to stay on the payroll. Hojo is mad and uncaring about humanity, but he certainly cares about science and nobody's usually unilaterally insane. Plus he's presented as an authority; otherwise, what's the point of him being in the game? The only other source we really have is Bugenhagen (and to a lesser extent, Aeris) and there is overlap there. What seems to differ is implementation of this information.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

simplefish posted:

For all Hojo's insanity, I think we should take him as an authority on Jenova. He's the only on doing experiments on it (and thus the only one with data) and he's obviously getting good enough results to stay on the payroll. Hojo is mad and uncaring about humanity, but he certainly cares about science and nobody's usually unilaterally insane. Plus he's presented as an authority; otherwise, what's the point of him being in the game? The only other source we really have is Bugenhagen (and to a lesser extent, Aeris) and there is overlap there. What seems to differ is implementation of this information.
You're right, I shouldn't question the fact that he's an authority. He is possibly the most knowledgeable person about this subject in the game, with the exception of Gast. Maybe. What I more call into question is whether that authority gives him absolute knowledge of the events in the game. I believe that he knows a lot about cosmic space diseases and crazy super soldiers, I don't believe that he can have in depth and educated knowledge about the interaction between Sephiroth and Jenova. Especially since he hadn't even seen or directly interacted with the center of their interaction for the entire time it's been been happening (Sephiroth's corpse in the crystal. At least, I'm assuming that could be considered a center).

Basically, Hojo's explanation is a theory. It also is a theory that cannot be ruled out by evidence that the game gives. That does not make his conclusion absolutely true.

The problem with dealing with a manipulative character in fiction is that it's hard to reach concrete conclusions. This happens because the character is manipulative, and usually functions on many different layers, as well as destroys or covers up evidence that might aid investigators. If the situation isn't extensively explained, you can always create more layers, because that's how manipulation works.

EDIT: vvv And yes, Hojo is also a cock bucket.

Twiddy fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Nov 18, 2013

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

simplefish posted:

Hojo has also lied his rear end off about a shitload of stuff. He's very clearly got his own agenda going on here - even if that agenda is simply 'make myself look good by making everyone believe that MY creation is the one threatening the world'. The fact of the matter is that Hojo is stupidly untrustworthy and we should not believe anything he says. Ever.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Momomo posted:

He also says Cloud wasn't a real person and was just a clone his entire life, which we know isn't true.

Why are you so certain? Have YOU ever seen Cloud's father?

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Momomo posted:

He also says Cloud wasn't a real person and was just a clone his entire life, which we know isn't true.

Wait, when? I don't remember this at all, mind refreshing my memory?

Anyways, if he did he knew he was wrong and just said it to gently caress with Cloud's mind.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?

Man with Hat posted:

Wait, when? I don't remember this at all, mind refreshing my memory?

Anyways, if he did he knew he was wrong and just said it to gently caress with Cloud's mind.

Back at the crater, when Cloud was having a breakdown. Hojo and they all assumed that he was one of the clones.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Galick posted:

Back at the crater, when Cloud was having a breakdown. Hojo and they all assumed that he was one of the clones.

He just says Cloud is a clone he created. A failed one. The use of the word clone in this game is pretty lovely because the "clones" are just people infused with Mako and Jenova Cells, they are not clones in the way that we read it. They are just manipulated people, not created from scratch.

Hojo does say he gave Cloud life but that's probably just Hojo having a hosed up view on life. Hojo probably considered Cloud to be dead and the new Cloud to be, you know, new.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

simplefish posted:

For all Hojo's insanity, I think we should take him as an authority on Jenova. He's the only on doing experiments on it (and thus the only one with data) and he's obviously getting good enough results to stay on the payroll. Hojo is mad and uncaring about humanity, but he certainly cares about science and nobody's usually unilaterally insane.
Scientists are occasionally wrong about things, you know. Even the greatest minds, people who aren't remotely insane and are universally recognised by other scientists as the leading experts in their fields, have been known to say things that later turn out not to be correct. And we have no reason to suppose Hojo is that great. His continued employment is hardly a great endorsement of his talent, if his peers at Shinra are anything to go by.

simplefish posted:

Plus he's presented as an authority; otherwise, what's the point of him being in the game?
The fact that the game's plot is heavily driven by mad science might possibly be sufficient justification for including a mad scientist character.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

Soricidus posted:

And we have no reason to suppose Hojo is that great. His continued employment is hardly a great endorsement of his talent, if his peers at Shinra are anything to go by.

Really, considering they put Palmer of all people on their board of directors, Shinra desperately needs a QA division.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Soricidus posted:

Scientists are occasionally wrong about things, you know. Even the greatest minds, people who aren't remotely insane and are universally recognised by other scientists as the leading experts in their fields, have been known to say things that later turn out not to be correct. And we have no reason to suppose Hojo is that great. His continued employment is hardly a great endorsement of his talent, if his peers at Shinra are anything to go by.

You're applying real-world rules to what is essentially a kind of nice anime. Hojo's an authority because he says things in a voice animes use to dispense facts about their world. There's really no ambiguity, if you know the narrative language the game is born from beforehand.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

YourAverageJoe posted:

You're applying real-world rules to what is essentially a kind of nice anime. Hojo's an authority because he says things in a voice animes use to dispense facts about their world. There's really no ambiguity, if you know the narrative language the game is born from beforehand.

True, but this game is all about unreliable narrators. On the surface Sephiroth is in control, but so was Cloud. The mind control on him was really subtle for most of the time, but he didn't really start pursuing Sephiroth because they had a score to settle, he did it because it was time to join the reunion. What seemed like his own idea was just a smokescreen.

It's impossible to tell if Jenova is in control or not because her pawns might have no idea if their own motivations are real or if they are actually just following someone else's instinct.

BioMe fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Nov 22, 2013

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I like this duality

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

simplefish posted:

I like this duality

Yeah, I prefer some things being left ambiguous. Even though Ridley Scott's official stance on Blade Runner is that Deckard's a replicant, that doesn't stop me from thinking the story works better the other way.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Ridley Scott is a (currently) hack director. Philip K Deck is the only man with any input as to whether or not Deckard is a Replicant. Or as to just what was reality in Total Recall.

vorbis vorbilby
Apr 9, 2001

d-beat dad
The author is dead. Philip K Deck doesn't get to decide if Dickard is a friendly robot any longer.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Oh cool, this is turning into a great PoMo studies thread. Also Hojo doesn't even remember Cloud, since he has to ask his number, so it's kind of obvious after that point that he's way out of his depth. The game makes it clear that he's not half the scientist Gast was, so any truth he skirts close to just leaves him stunned and nihilistic. He's a really great character, I think!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Need one of those "I Believe in Harvey Dent" posters but change it to I Believe In Hojo.

We have three authorities on Jenova and all of them are questionable. Authority 1 is Ifalna, Aeith's mother and last pure Cetra. She has no reason to lie but she's working with info that has prsumably been passed down for thousands of years. Or maybe the Planet told her some things? Overall, she's the most trustworthy.

Authority 2 is Sephirot, Jenova's pseudo-descendant. Now he and Ifalna actually agree on something:

Ifalna: That's when it appeared! It looked like... our... our dead mothers... and our dead brothers. Showing us spectres of their past.
Sephiroth: Cloud... Don't blame Tifa. The ability to change one's looks, voice, and words, is the power of Jenova."

This is why I don't believe it's even debatable about Cloud using the Jenova Cells within him. He was a blubbering mess when Tifa found him and only once the Cells had used their innate powers did he recover.

Now Seph isn't a total authority because he did definitely lie his rear end off just to screw with Cloud. But if anyone knows how Jenova works, it's him.

And Hojo of course predicted the whole Reunion thing. He was just off about the fact Sephiroth would bring Jenova to him instead of all the Clones going to her/it. Presumably this is because he thought Sephiroth was dead.

So I think all three of them present more or less the same picture of Jenova. Even if you can't trust one of them, one of the others backs up what they said.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Nov 23, 2013

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
And neither does Ridley Scott. :colbert:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

That loving Sned posted:

Yeah, I prefer some things being left ambiguous. Even though Ridley Scott's official stance on Blade Runner is that Deckard's a replicant, that doesn't stop me from thinking the story works better the other way.

My own take on it is that it doesn't matter if Deckard is a Replicant. The story works either way. "It's too bad she won't live, but then again who does?"

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The real question is "Who is Gaff?" Except for the best character in the film.

George
Nov 27, 2004

NikkolasKing posted:

Need one of those "I Believe in Harvey Dent" posters but change it to I Believe In Hojo.

We have three authorities on Jenova and all of them are questionable. Authority 1 is Ifalna, Aeith's mother and last pure Cetra. She has no reason to lie but she's working with info that has prsumably been passed down for thousands of years. Or maybe the Planet told her some things? Overall, she's the most trustworthy.

Authority 2 is Sephirot, Jenova's pseudo-descendant. Now he and Ifalna actually agree on something:

Ifalna: That's when it appeared! It looked like... our... our dead mothers... and our dead brothers. Showing us spectres of their past.
Sephiroth: Cloud... Don't blame Tifa. The ability to change one's looks, voice, and words, is the power of Jenova."

This is why I don't believe it's even debatable about Cloud using the Jenova Cells within him. He was a blubbering mess when Tifa found him and only once the Cells had used their innate powers did he recover.

Now Seph isn't a total authority because he did definitely lie his rear end off just to screw with Cloud. But if anyone knows how Jenova works, it's him.

And Hojo of course predicted the whole Reunion thing. He was just off about the fact Sephiroth would bring Jenova to him instead of all the Clones going to her/it. Presumably this is because he thought Sephiroth was dead.

So I think all three of them present more or less the same picture of Jenova. Even if you can't trust one of them, one of the others backs up what they said.

Sephiroth at one point believed that Jenova was an ancient, so he's been wrong in different ways at different parts of the story.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

That was human Sephiroth though. He's literally been spending five years soaking in all the knowledge ever gathered by anyone who lived on the FFVII planet. As he himself said in the Temple of the Ancients, he's surpassed the Cetra by traveling the Lifestream and learning all the Cetra ever knew plus a lot more. It's why he should know as much as anyone else about what Jenova was capable of.

George
Nov 27, 2004

NikkolasKing posted:

That was human Sephiroth though. He's literally been spending five years soaking in all the knowledge ever gathered by anyone who lived on the FFVII planet. As he himself said in the Temple of the Ancients, he's surpassed the Cetra by traveling the Lifestream and learning all the Cetra ever knew plus a lot more. It's why he should know as much as anyone else about what Jenova was capable of.

I wonder if he remembered that Cloud was at Nibelheim at all or if he just wanted to mess with him.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

SelenicMartian posted:

The real question is "Who is Gaff?" Except for the best character in the film.

Admiral Adama before he joined the military.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah, we had a couple of beers once. Told him his son ran from wolves a lot, he didn't seem too surprised.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

It's Jecht. X-2 and the Ultimata guide linked the two games' universes together, and X takes place before VII.

Stupider things have happened in the FF series, especially quite recently.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

That loving Sned posted:

It's Jecht. X-2 and the Ultimata guide linked the two games' universes together, and X takes place before VII.

So Tidus and Cloud are brothers? Maybe cloud really was just a spirit all along! How deep does this rabbit hole go! :tinfoil:

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

SpookyLizard posted:

Ridley Scott is a (currently) hack director. Philip K Deck is the only man with any input as to whether or not Deckard is a Replicant. Or as to just what was reality in Total Recall.

Dick didn't write either of those movies. Does that mean that everything about them that was different from the original stories is wrong, too? :shobon:

IMO there's no such thing as "canon," there's only texts. Cause "canon" in the nerd sense is the pretense that if two contradictory texts exist, one is right and the other is wrong; that if there is an ambiguity in a story, there's an objectively correct answer to it. But these are stories, not realities. To leave something unknowable isn't a mistake or a deficiency, it's part of the story. That's cool

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

waah posted:

So Tidus and Cloud are brothers? Maybe cloud really was just a spirit all along! How deep does this rabbit hole go! :tinfoil:

Tidus is Cloud. Or rather, Tidus is Cloud's teenage years. Cloud couldn't cut it for SOLDIER because he kept his pants legs different lengths.

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I like fire, you can have some too.

That loving Sned posted:

Is this as dumb as it sounds?

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?

Blind Melon posted:

Is this as dumb as it sounds?

He's joking, thankfully.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
About Jecht being Cloud's father, yes. About the whole "worlds being linked" thing? No. Hell, you even meet a person named Shinra on your ship in X2 who talks about using the life stream as a power source.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

swamp waste posted:

Dick didn't write either of those movies. Does that mean that everything about them that was different from the original stories is wrong, too? :shobon:

IMO there's no such thing as "canon," there's only texts. Cause "canon" in the nerd sense is the pretense that if two contradictory texts exist, one is right and the other is wrong; that if there is an ambiguity in a story, there's an objectively correct answer to it. But these are stories, not realities. To leave something unknowable isn't a mistake or a deficiency, it's part of the story. That's cool

To an extent? Yes.

By I think if you argue about whether or not Deckard is an alien, you've sort of missed the point.

And Deckard walks around with a canon the entire movie.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

I'm really starting to wish that Elentor would lock the thread between updates.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Woebin posted:

I'm really starting to wish that Elentor would lock the thread between updates.

Some of the discussion IS interesting. Like learning about how Sephiroth isn't just a anime haired swordsman, who has mommy issues. It just puts more depth that I think the game doesn't give him. Yeah, I have to agree with you though. Especially the Deckard thing, is that even RELEVANT? I don't see why that was mentioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

It's just an example of how something can be ambiguous in a story.

SpookyLizard posted:

And Deckard walks around with a canon the entire movie.

Haha oh poo poo i missed a joke somewhere didn't I :downs:. Anyway I'll give it a rest, I mean it does make sense that this isn't the thread to discuss anything that isn't the plot of Final Fantasy 7.

• Locked thread